ADVERTISEMENT

Wednesday Afternoon Check-In

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
With Thanksgiving games tomorrow, I didn't want to leave anyone out.

Friday I'll be at Pennsbury-Coatesville in Souderton. Suspenders on Allentown Road for the pre-game.

Saturday it's back to BASD for SJP-Parkland. If any of you Prep-PCL-D1-D11 guys want to meet up before the game, Roosevelt's is a fine establishment.

Enjoy the games, great time of year!

I might sneak over to a game tomorrow when I see my family in Philly tomorrow in the morning.

Central Dauphin vs. Wilson on Saturday night.

Still deciding on three options:

Booker T. Washington (Miami, FL #4 nationally) at Cocoa, Friday night at 7:30 PM

Mainland (Daytona Beach, #12 nationally) at South Ft. Myers, Friday night at 7:30 PM

Island Coast (Cape Coral) at American Heritage (Plantation), Friday night at 7:30 PM

Want to see Booker T. Washington, but the 3.5 hour drive is not looking too good right now. Was hoping the game would be in Miami, but there is apparently a rule down here that a team has to play on the road in playoff game three if its first two playoff games are at home, regardless of it being higher seeded.

Mainland at South Ft. Myers is the likely destination because it's only 30 minutes away.
This post was edited on 11/28 12:41 PM by njfan47

Hershey!!

NJ.... I hope you get to see Mainland-So.Ft.Myers 10-2. Mainland (12-0, Daytonna Beach High!) is a load but SFM while maybe undersized some is really, really fast. Only losses are quality; undefeated Ft. Myers and Belen Jesuit (Miami), playoff teams.

It's big school ball..6A (8 is largest)..with 8 teams remaining. Mainland is the real deal and will give you a taste of Florida ball if you haven't seen a game yet.

Stalker, good to hear from you, as always. It probably will be Mainland at South Ft. Myers.

The biggest divisions, 7A and 8A, are not necessarily the best; Miami Central (6A) and Booker T. Washington (4A) are probably the two best teams in the state right now.

Belen Jesuit turned out to be overrated. I saw them lose at home, 20-7, to a tough Key West team with a great RB, and then they lost 31-0 to Miami Killian. I wasn't impressed with Belen at all.

About FL ball, you are right, the larger divisions aren't necessary better. Teams like Cocoa, and Bolles and Trinity in Jax can have great teams.

You live there now? Apart from family living from Jax to almost the tip at Homestead-Cutler Ridge where Andrew came through....I lived there (Miami), stationed there in service, hung out, etc. Most of family is in Lakeland, Lake Wales and Jupiter area now. I have been fortunate to have relatives play on teams or go to schools in Florida that won titles at Manatee, Lakeland, Frostproof and Dwyer; Manatee, Lakeland and Frostproof a few times.

Yeah, those Miami schools are usually wicked, especially the two you mentioned, Central and Booker T. Northwestern slipped some but those two are almost always there. And thanks for the heads up on Belen. Mainland will then likely crush SFM but who knows hiking all the way to Ft. Myers. Thanks for the info NJ and enjoy the game. Mainland should impress.

Good point on Jacksonville Trinity. They must have 10-12 kids in Tom Lemming's pre-season book.

I live in Naples. Pretty good football here on the southwest coast of Florida. Naples High has a good team and almost knocked off Miami Central two years ago until Cook and Yearby took over the game. Those schools that you mentioned are some good ones.

The Miami kids are just so tough and passionate about football. Belen wasn't bad, but Key West has an excellent junior RB named Mekhi Sargent, who just took over the game. He's about 5-9 and 215 and has rare balance and tackle-breaking ability. Played hurt all year and dominated. Not sure what happened against Killian to lose 31-0, though. Probably just the Miami factor!

I'll let you know how the game goes, although I am still considering American Heritage vs. Island Coast.

Daytona Beach Mainland 21, South Ft. Myers 7. Mainland is not very big, but just very athletic on defense. Extremely quick to the ball. SFM had some good athletes and an o-line bigger than Wood's, but Mainland was still able to hold them in check until a late TD by SFM made it 21-7.

This sets up a titanic matchup next weekend, Daytona Beach Mainland vs. Miami Central. Nationally ranked #12 vs. #32. And Miami Central would probably be a lot higher if not for a one-point loss to Booker T. Washington.

Sorry for all this Florida talk, PA guys. I'll keep it to a minimum!
This post was edited on 11/28 11:00 PM by njfan47

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT