ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Preseason 6A STATE Top 10

NAT: I think PCC is very good, but probably a 21 pt dog to SJP. If PCC can get/stay healthy they SHOULD be very very good.

NAT: I think PCC is very good, but probably a 21 pt dog to SJP. If PCC can get/stay healthy they SHOULD be very very good.
PCC will be better than Harrisburg or State College, so that means they will be one of the best in 6A. It is too early to say if they will challenge sjp, or if they will get "crushed" by sjp. As I said two months ago, I still hold- if PCC can dominate their schedule, maybe go 9-1, they will be "good enough" challenge sjp

Whoever thinks PCC is even remotely close to SJP is smoking crack (rock cocaine)
You were the one last year saying that NA was going to beat prep in Cumberland valley but saying this years PCC has no shot. Everyone was saying the same thing about pine Richland and mt lebo. The wpial winner has been the one to knock off prep in Hershey. PCC has a chance especially with the talent coming back.

You were the one last year saying that NA was going to beat prep in Cumberland valley but saying this years PCC has no shot. Everyone was saying the same thing about pine Richland and mt lebo. The wpial winner has been the one to knock off prep in Hershey. PCC has a chance especially with the talent coming back.
"Everyone was saying"? Not people in SE PA and certainly not people at SJP. In 2017 the SJP-Coatesville game was regarded as a toss-up, and everyone who saw it knew it was as much a case of Coatesville losing the game as of SJP winning it. Some people in western PA may have wanted to depict that year's Prep team as like the one the year before--the one with Swift--but that simply wasn't the case. Much the same for the '21 season and the game against Mount Lebanon. SJP had already lost to Milton and LaSalle during the regular season, had beaten Wood with a last minute field goal in the PCL semi-final and had won a pretty close game as Freedom in the state quarterfinal. But if people in the west want to make Mount Lebanon into a giant slayer that year, then we know it's a fantasy they're enjoying.

"Everyone was saying"? Not people in SE PA and certainly not people at SJP. In 2017 the SJP-Coatesville game was regarded as a toss-up, and everyone who saw it knew it was as much a case of Coatesville losing the game as of SJP winning it. Some people in western PA may have wanted to depict that year's Prep team as like the one the year before--the one with Swift--but that simply wasn't the case. Much the same for the '21 season and the game against Mount Lebanon. SJP had already lost to Milton and LaSalle during the regular season, had beaten Wood with a last minute field goal in the PCL semi-final and had won a pretty close game as Freedom in the state quarterfinal. But if people in the west want to make Mount Lebanon into a giant slayer that year, then we know it's a fantasy they're enjoying.
It matters where you're from, how deep you're into HS FB, knowledge of the teams or should say, how much you think you know because I was convinced Coatesville was going to beat the Hawks in 17. Convinced! Thought it was the Red Raider's year.

I like Stalk's earlier post "about crack" it was funny... agreed we can disagree and not call each other crackheads!!!

Now.... let's not generalize "about western PA" that folks have a "fantasy about SJP." Sorry, no. Sure there's a few message board people that have lots of opinions about SJP- but 99% of folks near the burgh don't know anything about SJP. Most dont know, dont care- other than our measly 5 teams in 6A. PCC maybe, but in the next few years, no one else has a chance of ever being close to the best in PA.

Back to the thread- good for them, good for SJP they are ranked so high- at least PA has ONE team in the national top 20!!

but 99% of folks near the burgh don't know anything about SJP.
More like 98%... 99% in the WPIAL don't know anything about Southern Columbia.

Some of my favorites...

1. They have a vo tech in their district that somehow allows them to pull kids from all over the region - legally. You know they can get transfers in that don't count towards enrollment or eligibility. When in reality, the vo tech is in Bloomsburg area school district that actually takes kids out of SCA.

2. They recruit have transfers from all over. When in reality, when you see their junior high teams, 99% of those kids are the same ones playing in the state title games.

I like Stalk's earlier post "about crack" it was funny... agreed we can disagree and not call each other crackheads!!!

Now.... let's not generalize "about western PA" that folks have a "fantasy about SJP." Sorry, no. Sure there's a few message board people that have lots of opinions about SJP- but 99% of folks near the burgh don't know anything about SJP. Most dont know, dont care- other than our measly 5 teams in 6A. PCC maybe, but in the next few years, no one else has a chance of ever being close to the best in PA.

Back to the thread- good for them, good for SJP they are ranked so high- at least PA has ONE team in the national top 20!!
You're right. I was over-generalizing about western PA in response to the one post. I was probably also influenced by some of the Post-Gazette's coverage which seems to have often depicted SJP as a goliath.

Reactions: Stalker
Yeah I remember that. One of the takes I got wrong. At that time I didn’t fully understand much advantages SJP had

You're right. I was over-generalizing about western PA in response to the one post. I was probably also influenced by some of the Post-Gazette's coverage which seems to have often depicted SJP as a goliath.
SJP is Goliath. I think you’re downplaying your school. A bad year for them is losing in the state final

Whoever thinks PCC is even remotely close to SJP is smoking crack (rock cocaine)
You were the one last year saying that NA was going to beat prep in Cumberland valley but saying this years PCC has no shot. Everyone was saying the same thing about pine Richland and mt lebo. The wpial winner has been the one to knock off prep in Hershey PCC has a chance especially with the talent coming back.
Yeah I remember that. One of the takes I got wrong. At that time I didn’t fully understand much advantages SJP had
Sjp for sure has some major advantages to bring in talent. Being open boarder and playing a national schedule on national tv where you are going to have college coaches watching your games at all times helps pour in the talent. They are definitely going to be a huge favorite this year but I wouldn't say no one (especially PCC) has a chance. Especially before the season has even started. Ask pine Richland and mt lebo about that one.

Reactions: Stalker
everybody in the WPIAL knew in 2017 and 2021 that they could beat SJP that year, we all knew those were young SJP teams

i give Central ZERO shot of beating SJP this year, outside of 2015 Central always has their best teams when SJP has their best teams too, they didn't have the luck of timing like PR and ML

many do view ML and PR as "giant slayers" those years, i don't and i get flack for it when i remind them SJP had down years in 2017 and 2021

I'm not even convinced 2017 PR would beat 2016 Central Catholic, but hey one team had to face Deandre Swift and a senior laden team and the other team didn't so one teams gets "legendary" status

same thing with Lebo in 2021, i think 2020 PR would beat them but since Lebo beat SJP and PR decided to play weaker competition, one team is remembered and the other is forgotten

More like 98%... 99% in the WPIAL don't know anything about Southern Columbia.

Some of my favorites...

1. They have a vo tech in their district that somehow allows them to pull kids from all over the region - legally. You know they can get transfers in that don't count towards enrollment or eligibility. When in reality, the vo tech is in Bloomsburg area school district that actually takes kids out of SCA.

2. They recruit have transfers from all over. When in reality, when you see their junior high teams, 99% of those kids are the same ones playing in the state title games.
there is nothing you can say to me to convince me some small cow town in the middle of nowhere is honestly and legitimately producing state title caliber teams for literally 30 years

they are shady to say the least...

Jim Roth would be making millions in the NFL if he was that smart

the one black kid they ever had coincidentally was a top 10 national recruit LOL

Last edited:
they are a goliath

two down years where a "down year" for them is losing in a state title game doesn't change that

please stop with the humble bragging, your down year is 99% of high schools all time best year

they are a goliath

two down years where a "down year" for them is losing in a state title game doesn't change that

please stop with the humble bragging, your down year is 99% of high schools all time best year
Goliath was not always victorious.

One thing I'm trying to counter is the notion that the Prep's success is almost entirely due to a dozen or so extremely talented football-playing students entering the school every year. Of course it's an advantage not to have borders--other than the distance students can commute every day--and to be located where the Prep is--pretty much at the center of the Philly area. But that very fact means that the students who enter the Prep show up rarely knowing more than a small handful of others, and sometimes none at all. Also, lots of players come there with high expectations about how much they'll play, where they'll play, etc. Many have to adjust their expectations in a big way. Nice problem to have? Sure, but it's still a problem that can cause conflicts and resentments we can all easily imagine. I've been quite impressed--and frankly surprised--by the number of Prep players who obviously came with the idea of being a starter and who've stayed right through senior year without ever starting a game.

Reactions: Bighead75
2023 Preseason 6A STATE Top 10
Here’s the final installment of the six-part study for each classification showing a Top 10 to cap off the effort. I did a larger write up on St. Joseph’s Prep since they’re the defending 6A champion and strongly favored to repeat. Two other reviews were done throughout the year with this serving as a snapshot of those with schedule information. As always, feel free to jump in or on! And feel free to mention any correction. Thanks.

1 St. Joseph’s Prep D12 12-1 (State Champ)
The Hawks are coming off a championship season after advancing to their 7th straight State Finals appearance in the last ten years. That’s almost enough said right there! To clarify last year’s domination, they breezed through the playoffs with a 49-6, thumping of Northeast Philly (9-3) to win the city and district title before pummeling Parkland (9-5), Garnet Valley (13-1) and Harrisburg (11-3) by an average score of 48-12. The reason that’s scary is they return most of that team, a team that was only challenged by PCL-Red rival LaSalle 21-14 in the rematch, Erasmus Hall (10-2, {92-16 last 10}), Brooklyn’s PSAL-A city champ (4th straight) and St. Thomas Aquinas-FL (14-0) who beat them 48-37 in a game SJP led 31-28 late in the 3rd at STA’s home field. The Raiders went on to win the 3M Florida State Title, formerly the 7A title. See Note-2 below.
For the coming season they look to have one of their strongest teams, with substantial numbers returning on offense in quarterback Samaj Jones (62%-2263py, 95-641ry, #2 rusher), receivers David Washington (42-576), Brandon Rehmann (43-466) and Elijah Jones (12-422), plus all their running backs; Khaseen Phillips (757), Taj Dyches (404) and Erik Sanchez (279). The defense looks set on the line with Chase Witmayer, Ivan Bailey-Green, Maxwell Roy and Sean McNulty back. Last year’s super soph Anthony Sacca (6-4, 215) is back with Nick McGlynn and Toni Cerruti at linebacker and five starters or experienced players in the secondary. They’ll miss Cole Niles, Josiah Trotter and Matt DuMond. As always, the schedule is national in scope, opening at Ocean City High against IMG (8-1). IMG’s only loss last year was to Central High of Miami who went 14-0 winning the FHSAA-4S (suburban) title. Then comes St. Peters-NJ (7-4) in the MFC Classic at Salesianum in Wilmington, followed by more road games at Lakeland-FL (14-0, 4S champ) and Don Bosco Prep (9-3). Lakeland’s great coach Bill Castle retired following the 2022 season after 47 seasons and winning the Dreadnaughts 8th state title, more than any other school. He retires with a 473-98 record. Much of the family is in Lakeland-Winter Haven and Lake Wales, enough to know Coach Castle is Lakeland football. Many transferred in over the years so we’ll see how it goes without him as a magnet.
Note 1: Samaj Jones won the MVP of the Qb group at the Under Armour Camp in Baltimore recently, doing serious work looking like a body builder with great accuracy and a cannon!
Note 2: For the 2022 and 2023 seasons, Florida teams were reclassified as Metro (8 most populated counties) and Suburban (the rest), moving away from the 8A-1A format. Teams were further divided 4 through 1, with the larger enrollments at 4, trickling down to 1 in M and S designates.
2 Harrisburg D3 11-3 (State Final runner up)
The Cougars had some key grad losses for sure but also have key returners, namely and perhaps the most underrated quarterback in the state in junior Shawn Lee. Just a junior he is a high IQ player with solid stats, completing 68% of his throws for 1744 yards with a 17/8 ratio, rushing for 584 yards. One of the top receivers in the area returns in junior Elias Coke (25/442, FSU, PSU, etc). Another promising sophomore from last year, Kymir Williams (5-11, 190) will be the primary ball carrier. Harrisburg always has backs but few like graduated FB/MLB Mahkai Hopkins (6-1, 240) and his 1302 rush yards. He’s gone plus Kyle Williams (168/1118ry-17Tds, 55/668py-8Tds, Temple) and #2 quarterback Zakii Curry-Lewis (6-1, 190) who was underrated at linebacker with 82 stops. Another loss on defense is record holding DE/DL Terrell Reynolds (6-2, 230) with 116 tackles and 35 TFL. Ameer Grandberry (5-11, 185) at LB/S is another who will be missed on both sides with 64 stops and 34 receptions for 411 yards. The lines return OT/DT Trentin Moffitt (5-11, 245), Sirkayne Veneable (6-4, 290), Kevin Brown (6-5, 245. Soph, BC, PSU, Pitt), Ryan Epps (6-1, 245) and at least 5 other starters on defense. They had another nice run last year, getting to the 6A final for the second time in five years, losing to St, Joseph’s Prep 42-7. And at 71-16, they clearly have great personnel coming through right now despite low numbers. The schedule opens with road games at Delaware Valley (7-6) and Manheim Township (9-4) before the home opener against Carlisle (6-5). Del Val is no slouch and Township will put a lot of points on the scoreboard when two of the very best teams in District-3 lock horns.
3 State College D6 13-1 (Semifinalist loser)
Like Harrisburg, State had some key grads but not enough (per history) to keep them from being one of the top teams in the state again. The big loss is quarterback Finn Furmanek (6-4 195, 60%-1593, 15/6, 96-592ry). But they return co-starter Owen Yerka (51%-479, 4/2, 50-348ry) and standout running back D’Antae Sheffey with 1728 yards rushing as a freshman! He can fly and is shifty. Remember, this is a team that went 7-0 in the Mid Penn-Commonwealth and beat Downingtown East (9-4) 32-31 in Downingtown and Harrisburg (11-3) 20-6 at Harrisburg, plus McDowell (10-3) 57-50, 3ot and North Allegheny (11-2) 28-7 before losing to Harrisburg in the revenge, rematch game 27-7. They return a great core led by LB Michael Gaul (6-1, 200) who led the team in tackles as a sophomore with 110. Eli Espinoza (6-0, 200) joins him at MLB with 67 tackles with NG Justin Castro-Dixon plugging the middle at 6-0, 330 with 56 stops. Three starters return to the secondary with 167 tackles. DE Stephen Scourtis (6-4, 240, 104 tackles, Harvard) will be missed. The schedule is almost tailor made for a good start opening at Williamsport, home against Downingtown East, away at Hollidaysburg then home again in the MP-Commonwealth opener against Altoona.
4 North Allegheny D7 11-2 (Quarterfinal loser)
I thought North Allegheny should be slotted here with Harrisburg having just enough back (arguably), the Tigers beating Central Catholic twice last year and both bringing back the same team. They had a good run with last year’s team beating McDowell, Penn Trafford, Seneca Valley, Pitt CC x 2 as mentioned while losing to the top teams on the schedule, State College (13-1) 28-7 and Pine Richland (13-3) 28-17. The heart of the team is back, returning quarterback Logan Kushner (55%-1589, 15/9) and lead receiver Khiryn Boyd (42-76py). Tyree Alualu (6-0, 205, 264ry) will contribute in a number of positions and is a force at linebacker with 62 tackles last year as a junior. Most of the defense returns. The schedule shows two home games beginning with Allerdice (4-7), a dangerous Canon McMillan group (5-6) then the first road game of the year at McDowell. Despite a lot of youth and a rebuilt defense, McDowell could surprise with last year’s sophomore quarterback Blayze Myers (6-3, 195) and running back-receiver Bobby Blue. NA had their best year last season since the title team of 2012. That’s where the comparison ends, but it was a notable upgrade over the previous year on defense allowing 13ppg vs 2021’s 23ppg, paving the way to a 11-win season. They also made real progress in the passing game.
5 Pittsburgh Central Catholic D7 7-5 (WPIAL runner up)
The big question entering this season is at the top where coach Ryan Lehmeier takes over for the retired Terry Totten. Coach Totten (’76 Central grad) was one of the state’s great coaches, retiring after 19 seasons with a 188-40 record and two state titles! Coach Lehmeier is well regarded, spending the last two seasons as OC at Seneca Valley and the previous six at Pine Richland where he was OC the final four years. With Sen Val recording a 13-8 record while there and Pine a 48-5 mark, the man brings a winning tradition with him despite not previously head a program. Back to Central: They were close last year with a one-point loss to Mt. Lebanon and a four-pointer to North Allegheny, both at home! Those losses may reverse with so many returning for this season including senior Qb Payton Wehner (62%-2505, 17/5; 61%-1460 as soph), his leading three receivers with 104 receptions for 1631 years, running backs Elijah Faulkner with 529 yards on 139 carries and Amari Shields with 512 yards on 124 attempts. LB/TE Cole Sullivan (6-4, 195) is back with 118 tackles with senior linebacker Anthony Speca (6-3, 225, PSU commit). The schedule will reveal them opening at dangerous Woodland Hills (6-6), then St. Ignatius-OH (8-4) before the home opener against Bethel Park (10-2).
6 Downingtown West D1 9-2 (Quarterfinal loser)
The Whippets return most of the pack from last year where it was mystifying they didn’t do more. Too young? So here they are with Coatesville doing a major rebuild and D-town East looking to replace record setting running back Bo Horvath’s 2315 rush yards. Add Garnet Valley who’s replacing just about everyone to realize they look well positioned to be ‘the’ team in the western burbs this year. Hard figuring how this group didn’t go farther last year with one of their best defenses in over ten years at 17ppg yield and an offense cranking out 38ppg. They lost to Perkiomen Valley 30-29, giving up a 26-10 half time lead and in a rematch-revenge-rivalry game to Downingtown West 34-9. But they’re looking good for this season with big numbers returning on offense with almost all their skill back led by quarterback Quinn Henicle (6-2, 190, jr, 59%-1506, 16/5) and a defense that returns at least 8 starters. They open at Lincoln in Philly then home against another District-1 power in Perkiomen Valley.
7 Manheim Township D3 9-4 (District runner up)
Like Downingtown above, the Streaks were a year too young, loaded as they were with talent. They could impress winning at Harrisburg (game 3) 24-20, then disappoint with conference home losses against Hempfield (9-3) 17-14 and Wilson (8-3) 27-21. As the season progressed and the team matured, they reversed earlier losses to Cumberland Valley (27-31, then 37-31) and routed Hempfield 42-6. Harrisburg ended their year with their own revenge-rematch-reversal, 44-6. Township may finally be ready for a legit run at Section-1 and beyond with a seasoned team returning almost everyone including quarterback Hayden Johnson (6-1, 185, jr, 73%, 2621, 26/8), four of his top five receivers and their lead back in Declan Clancy. Eight starters return to the defense that allowed 18ppg. The schedule is challenging opening at home to Cumberland Valley (7-4), then at Dallastown (4-6) before returning home for consecutive games against two of the best in Harrisburg and Spring Ford.
8 Perkiomen Valley D1 11-2 (District Semifinal loser)
Like Spring Ford, the Vikings are also from the PAC-Liberty where they’ve strung together 11 straight winning seasons totaling out to 100-27 (78.7%). Last year was one of their best seasons with a lot of young parts getting wins against Downingtown West (9-2) 30-29, Spring Ford (8-4) 7-6, Pope John Paul II (10-2) and Souderton (9-3). The losses were to Roman (9-2) 26-10 and CB West (9-5)14-13. For 2023, they return sophomore quarterback in Patrick MacDonald (5-11, 165), throwing at 64% for 1208 yards, their leading rusher in Jake Stewart (143/790) plus good numbers on the D, making them a favorite along with Spring Ford to win the PAC. Perk Val has won the last two against Spring Ford by narrow margins; 7-6 last year and 28-22 the year before. And they’ve won two of the last three at SF. The schedule will test them early opening on the road against two veteran, well quarterbacked teams at Chester (10-2) and Downingtown West (9-2), before the home opener against Delaware’s 3A champ Smyrna (12-1).
9 Spring Ford D1 8-4 (Quarterfinal loser)
The Rams had their 13th consecutive winning season last year, giving them a won-loss to 139-39 (78.0%)! Last year’s team had narrow losses to quality teams losing to Perkiomen Valley (11-2) 7-6, Manheim Township (9-4) 17-14 and Garnet Valley (13-1) 30-27 in overtime. And that was with a sophomore quarterback in Matt Zoellers (6-4, 200) throwing for 2055 yards with an outstanding 23/3 ratio and completion percent of 62. Three of his top five receivers return. The defense was largely senior but a core returns. And they showed development in their last two games defeating Ridley 42-28 in the playoffs before the ot loss at Garnet Valley making them appear as a serious contender in the PAC and beyond. Coach Chad Brubaker, the former OC at Wilson is stepping up big time this season opening at home against Governor Mifflin then three straight road games at Father Judge, Cumberland Valley and Manheim Township. They get Perk Val home Oct 6th.
TIE
Central Bucks West D1 9-5 (District runner up)

With most of the SOL 6As struggling, good things are happening at CB West putting them here with their second straight nine-win season, giving them a four-year record of 30-14. This is a notable improvement over the previous five seasons at 19-32 with one winning season. For 2023, they look to be senior laden with a rebuilding project on the line and finding backs to replace Eli Boehm’s 1655 yards and somewhat under rated Vince Cherubini (698ry). The OL will rebuild around LT Hayden Mulligan (6-4, 285) with (I believe) Danny Gannon (6-0, 230) and Carter Charron (6-1, 225) factoring in. A.J. Gerace was there on defense and could slide in. Not sure if Jeffrey Cappa is in at TE or Jack Williams. A huge factor in the Bucks favor is the return of a four-year starting quarterback in Ganz Cooper (6-1, 195). Conor McFadden (6-1, 175, sr) is a valued dual threat at corner and wide out. Really gets up to speed quick!
The defense that returns most of last year’s team should sustain the offense that will not be as lumbering as some predict with talent moving up, experienced linemen and a savvy veteran quarterback. Remember, these same guys showed great resiliency recovering from a 1-3 start. Not sure if safety Jack Fleisher (ACL vs Q-town or Pennbsbury) is back. Last year’s schedule saw them on the road for most of their difficult or rivalry games including Garnet Valley x 2, Upper Dublin, North Penn, CB South, CB East x 2 and Perkiomen Valley. This year’s schedule is more favorable opening at home against Garnet Valley and Upper Dublin before a road trip to Quakertown.
10 Nazareth D11 9-2 (District Quarterfinal loser)
While this is the only Top 10 team without a return starter at quarterback, you’ve got to like the program’s trajectory and on-field performance under veteran coach Tom Falzone. He had an outstanding career at Catasauqua going 47-18 before coming to Nazareth in 2014. But it hasn’t come easy, struggling through losing seasons in four of his first five years (23-31) before 2019’s breakout season going 12-2. The past four years have them at a lofty 36-8 overall record, holding their own against EPC bluebloods going 2-2 vs Emmaus, 3-2 vs Freedom and 2-3 vs Parkland. They are 28-0….!....against all other EPC teams (Easton, Beca, ACC, etc) in that four-year window. Nazareth’s season came to an end last year losing to Parkland 42-14 with star quarterback/safety Sonny Sassy sidelined with a hand injury. He is one of the key grads for this season, throwing for 1975 yards at 66% with a 21/2 ratio. Also a pretty good safety. Lead running back Colin Wells (97/619) and Jed Bonsignore (50/296) their #2 runner graduated along with one of their top receivers in Nathan Lobb (48/847). But they return one of the top players in the district in receiver Mason Kuehner (61/962!). They’re set there with Logan Hilarczyk (25/260py) and Frankie Mroz (12/112py) also back. That will ease the burden on the new starter Peyton Falzone (6-4, 195, soph) who will operate behind last year’s youthful line anchored by Sean Kinney (6-3, 295) and well regarded Parkland transfer Marquez Wimberly (5-9, 185, so) who rushed for 383 yards on 83 carries last year. He also had 60 tackles. This year’s schedule will test them with three of the first four on the road starting at always competitive East Stroudsburg South (4-6). Then they get right into the toughest part of the schedule at Emmaus (10-2) before a home game against Freedom (10-3) then back on the road at Parkland.
TIE
Parkland D11 9-5 (Quarterfinal loser)

Parkland recovered from a 2-3 start to go 7-2 down the stretch, winning the district by defeating Freedom 35-10 before losing to St. Joseph’s Prep in the quarterfinals 52-21. They played nine teams that finished above .500, going 4-5. Importantly for the coming season, they finished strong, beating Nazareth 42-14, Northampton (12-1) 31-13 and Freedom (10-3) 35-10 in the postseason before losing to St. Joe’s. The win against Nazareth came with Blue Bombers’ quarterback Sonny Sasso on the sidelines with an injured hand. Naz beat them in the regular season 28-10 with Sasso in the lineup. It appears they’ll field a strong team this year with the return of quarterback Luke Sprang (63%-2088, 18/8, 295ry-5Tds), the multi-talented Trey Trimba (1238ry-21Tds, 28/428py-5Tds), many experienced receivers and at least seven starters and co-starters from the defense. Tykear Davis (14 tackles) got a lot of time last year as did sophomore Leo Dauberman (17 stops). It’s important to note in a league that isn’t afraid to throw the ball the number of grads in the secondary; FS Nate Urso (31 tackles), S Chase Kusko (45 stops), CB Mason Hollis (60), S Jack Harrison (51 tackles) and CB Nakhi Bullock (29 stops). Other significant losses are at DT Nate Kemmerer (63 tackles) and their top tackler LB Victor Pagan with 87. For 2023, they open at home to Pocono Mountain West (5-6, EPC-N) then road games at Freedpm (10-3) and Liberty (2-8) before the big one at home against Nazareth Sept 15th.

Others:
**** Historic powers/programs that are always a factor
D1 - Ridley, Garnet Valley, Coatesville, North Penn, Dtown East
D3 - Wilson, Cumberland Valley, Central York
D10 - McDowell
D11- Freedom, Emmaus
D12 – LaSalle, Northeast
**** Historic powers going through a rare down cycle but viable
D1- Neshaminy, Pennsbury, Pennridge
D3 - Central Dauphin
D11- Easton
**** Surprises
D1- Souderton, Central Bucks East
D3 - Hempfield, Central Dauphin East, Red Lion, Cedar Crest
D7- Canon McMillan
Stalk, what is the reason Mcdeviit is not playing Harrisburg. It sure seems to be a natural local contest particularly the last couple years.

BP: P-R 2017 almost beat PCC 2016 in 2016. It was 48-35 and IIRC P-R had the ball to take the lead and couldn’t score. P-R 2017 would have Mercy ruled them like they did most everyone else.

Likewise, the P-R 2020 kids as juniors mercy ruled the Lebo group as sophomores. That’s a little longer stretch to project, but not out of the question.

there is nothing you can say to me to convince me some small cow town in the middle of nowhere is honestly and legitimately producing state title caliber teams for literally 30 years

they are shady to say the least...

Jim Roth would be making millions in the NFL if he was that smart

the one black kid they ever had coincidentally was a top 10 national recruit LOL
So - my brother has coached against SCA since 2001. He literally laughs anytime someone brings up SCA having transfers or recruiting. I'm from that side of the state, I've never heard of them recruiting or getting transfers of any note. Does that mean families might not move into that district - no. But, what it does mean if they're doing it they're doing before high school ever starts.

They've had other "black" kids but none like Fleming. BTW, he played junior high ball with SCA.

Where the WPA teams struggle to compete with SCA is along the LOS. The 1A/2A teams in the WPIAL usually have them beat at the skill positions in those title games. But, they get demolished up front - see Duquesne with Fields, Bobo, etc..

Southern Columbia is much like Fort Hill in Maryland. They're very isolated. They have zero non-boundary schools in their representative counties that offer football. They have a true feeder system. Their youth programs run the same stuff the high school. They've run the under center wing t for close to 40 years. Name me any school in PA that has anything close to that type of continuity for the length of time that SCA has had.

Reactions: lilromeo
Stalk, what is the reason Mcdeviit is not playing Harrisburg. It sure seems to be a natural local contest particularly the last couple years.
Yeah, a lot of us hated seeing that rivalry go way. It went back to John Harris High vs Catholic High before Harris and Wm Penn merged and Catholic became Bishop McDevitt. The schools were two blocks apart with players walking to each school game day. Quite a tradition.
In 2007 McD left the Mid Penn-Commonwealth of State Coll, CD, CD East, H-burg, Cumberland Valley, etc for the FAR weaker MP-Keystone with smaller schools including Cedar Cliff, Red Land, Lower Dauphin Hershey, etc., with the rivalry limping on for a few more years til 2013 at McD's new digs at Rocco Ortenzio.
I'd attribute the demise to McD dropping down to the MP-K and moving from downtown to the burbs out near Central Dauphin East a few miles south of Central Dauphin High. Lost its luster for sure then.

As an aside McDevitt wanted to have more freedom in their scheduling and Harrisburg was at that time or near it cranking up a series with York High (William Penn), Reading and Lancaster High (JP McCaskey).
That's my understanding of events lilromeo.

The last game was 2017 where Harrisburg crushed them 35-0.

About [Parkland’s] chances this year, I think they’re good given the returning Qb, Tremba and a decent core on defense.
Just saw that Trey Tremba committed to West Point today. He’ll be a nice player in the spread-option they’re converting too, can catch the ball out of the backfield and is a really good athlete (a shame we never got to see him wrestle in HS after being one of the best junior high kids in the state). Poised for a big year for Parkland, even if I don’t think they’re going to be as good as Stalk does.

Heard Roman Catholic lost their best lineman to Prep.
That’s correct. How do we lose 2 power 5 guys in one offseason? Every time I think we’re headed in the right direction. A legitimate 6’4 beast. We all know if you can’t match sjp up front you have no chance. The rich get richer. They have 3 power 5 backs excluding their qb, which if he takes off you would think it’s a rb. Losing Tyseer is one thing but we lose a guy to a conference foe. He’s better than what they lost to graduation. He's ineligible for the playoffs but word is parents compared schedules and wanted their son competing against top talent. Sjp never met with the kid. The father literally dropped him on their doorstep.

That’s correct. How do we lose 2 power 5 guys in one offseason? Every time I think we’re headed in the right direction. A legitimate 6’4 beast. We all know if you can’t match sjp up front you have no chance. The rich get richer. They have 3 power 5 backs excluding their qb, which if he takes off you would think it’s a rb. Losing Tyseer is one thing but we lose a guy to a conference foe. He’s better than what they lost to graduation. He's ineligible for the playoffs but word is parents compared schedules and wanted their son competing against top talent. Sjp never met with the kid. The father literally dropped him on their doorste
With St Joe's playing a national schedule and top teams in the country, division one coaches will be in the stands for those games. They usually play a game on ESPN as well so that'll be more eyes on that kid.

That’s correct. How do we lose 2 power 5 guys in one offseason? Every time I think we’re headed in the right direction. A legitimate 6’4 beast. We all know if you can’t match sjp up front you have no chance. The rich get richer. They have 3 power 5 backs excluding their qb, which if he takes off you would think it’s a rb. Losing Tyseer is one thing but we lose a guy to a conference foe. He’s better than what they lost to graduation. He's ineligible for the playoffs but word is parents compared schedules and wanted their son competing against top talent. Sjp never met with the kid. The father literally dropped him on their doorstep.
Wow. Didn't know all of that. I did hear that parents of Khalil were not happy with his recruitment to this point?

Wow. Didn't know all of that. I did hear that parents of Khalil were not happy with his recruitment to this point?
Khalil Stewart was at Penn St. this weekend with a large group of other potential recruits from the class of '25. So was Cam Smith, a class of '25 linebacker, who has transferred to SJP from Salem HS in south Jersey. I noticed also that Ausur Heard, brother of James Heard who played for SJP on the '21 team but who returned to Jersey because--from what I heard--SJP wouldn't let him go to West Virginia early and still get an SJP diploma, is at Winslow Township--not SJP. Ausur has all kinds of offers before starting high school in the fall. Here's the link that will tell you who was at PSU: https://www.on3.com/teams/penn-stat...ng-photo-gallery-lasch-bash-visitors-july-29/

I'm not crazy about all the transferring. For one thing, it must be discouraging 1) to the players on a team like Roman who see their two most talented players leaving (though I gather for very different reasons) and 2) to some of the players on a team like SJP who started in the school/program as freshmen and see that their chances to start or even get into games are diminished because guys who transferred into the school at the start of junior year are ahead of them on the depth charts. You could say they must have known this was a possibility from the start, but it still must not be easy.

Until recent years SJP very rarely took in any transfers, especially after the start of sophomore year. You just have to look at the transfer portal in college football to know the transfer bug was going to spread to high school, but you don't have to like it. As a Prep guy, I hope the school mitigates the risks--which are pretty obvious--and doesn't cut corners.

Khalil Stewart was at Penn St. this weekend with a large group of other potential recruits from the class of '25. So was Cam Smith, a class of '25 linebacker, who has transferred to SJP from Salem HS in south Jersey. I noticed also that Ausur Heard, brother of James Heard who played for SJP on the '21 team but who returned to Jersey because--from what I heard--SJP wouldn't let him go to West Virginia early and still get an SJP diploma, is at Winslow Township--not SJP. Ausur has all kinds of offers before starting high school in the fall. Here's the link that will tell you who was at PSU: https://www.on3.com/teams/penn-stat...ng-photo-gallery-lasch-bash-visitors-july-29/

I'm not crazy about all the transferring. For one thing, it must be discouraging 1) to the players on a team like Roman who see their two most talented players leaving (though I gather for very different reasons) and 2) to some of the players on a team like SJP who started in the school/program as freshmen and see that their chances to start or even get into games are diminished because guys who transferred into the school at the start of junior year are ahead of them on the depth charts. You could say they must have known this was a possibility from the start, but it still must not be easy.

Until recent years SJP very rarely took in any transfers, especially after the start of sophomore year. You just have to look at the transfer portal in college football to know the transfer bug was going to spread to high school, but you don't have to like it. As a Prep guy, I hope the school mitigates the risks--which are pretty obvious--and doesn't cut corners.
Cam Smith is at Prep?
He was one of South Jersey’s best players as a sophomore.

Cam Smith is at Prep?
He was one of South Jersey’s best players as a sophomore.
That's what the piece accessible via the link and Smith's own Twitter account say. Salem must be at least 35 miles from SJP.

Almost 45 miles which is similar to Coatesville to SJP. Non-boundary is really non-boundary...

Almost 45 miles which is similar to Coatesville to SJP. Non-boundary is really non-boundary...
I wonder how they manage it logistically. I know there are other players (e.g., Washington and Steele) who live in that direction. Is there some kind of mini-bus? Do some of them stay at another player's house during the week? I lived in Jersey and sometimes found the commuting tough during football season--but I lived only 10 miles from the school.

I wonder how they manage it logistically. I know there are other players (e.g., Washington and Steele) who live in that direction. Is there some kind of mini-bus? Do some of them stay at another player's house during the week? I lived in Jersey and sometimes found the commuting tough during football season--but I lived only 10 miles from the school.
Smith lives closer to the bridge. I remember seeing him play little league and informing our staff to go after him. I think sjp is closer to him than Salem. I don’t understand why he would skip over some other programs and travel to Salem.

Smith lives closer to the bridge. I remember seeing him play little league and informing our staff to go after him. I think sjp is closer to him than Salem. I don’t understand why he would skip over some other programs and travel to Salem.
I hear Roman has a ton of skill but lacking on both sides of the lines. Is that an accurate assessment?

I hear Roman has a ton of skill but lacking on both sides of the lines. Is that an accurate assessment?
Pretty accurate assessment. There’s guys every where in shorts and shirts but we’ll see once the pads get to banging. 7v7 we look pretty good matching up against Imhotep but they find these massive linemen in Philadelphia that changes things. League play I think we’ll have a year similar to last year. Beat everyone and hopefully sjp is a game this year. I think we top wood and lasalle on talent. Imhotep is the hurdle. I think we could make a good run if we get pass them.

Clearly there must be some non-boundary schools in Jersey if Smith lives closer to SJP than to Salem but was going to Salem High School

I’m not a SJP hater, while I do recognize they have some immense advantages. If they can continue bringing in major transfers, the rich will get richer. I always respected that they never really took transfers. It appears that is starting to change under Roken (and I agree it starts with the collegiate players being the example). Ultimately it will make the gap even bigger between them and non-boundaries.

I’m not a SJP hater, while I do recognize they have some immense advantages. If they can continue bringing in major transfers, the rich will get richer. I always respected that they never really took transfers. It appears that is starting to change under Roken (and I agree it starts with the collegiate players being the example). Ultimately it will make the gap even bigger between them and non-boundaries.
It has also been the case that SJP has had some players transfer out. Heard and James left last year, as did a receiver--forget his name--who went back to Jersey and is now a preferred walk-on at PSU or Rutgers. Some years back two quarterbacks (Kidd-Jackson and CJ Duell) left under very different circumstances. It's also true that transfers in after sophomore year became more common under Infante (e.g., Benny Walls and Cinaglia from the 2016 team), but it seems to be becoming more common.

What I wonder is how they manage it academically, in part because the Prep's curriculum is different from the curriculum at most other high schools. Do they have special summer courses and/or tutoring services? Certainly the demands of the football program during the school year (not just the trips, after classes begin, to Florida, North Jersey--well above NYC--and Maryland) must present a challenge to keep up academically. The school community at large (including the alumni) would not be happy to see academic standards fall.

All the transfers are both a cause and an effect of the growing gaps between strong programs and weak or so-so ones. And it's not just between boundary and non-boundary. It's also between different non-boundary schools and within district 12 at least it's between different public schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT