ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers

Ray Bordley the 6- 6 lineman from West Chester Rustin transferred to the IMG Academy in Fl for his Sr yr.

Bordley's on IMG's 2015 roster (http://imgacademy.com/sites/default/files/sport/football/2015 IMG Academy Football Roster.pdf). That kind of surprised me since he's a 2016 OL with an offer from UMass and NO Rivals rating. ESPN/Scout has the same. 247 Sports has him with 2 stars and offers only from Buffalo and UMass.

Conversely, Hainsey from Monroeville is a 4 star prospect and Kaindoh from Baltimore is a 5 star prospect...with extremely impressive offers lists.

Might be old news but heard Brendan Clark o-lineman from judge transferred to haverford he's a big kid who impressed at one of the rival camp series only a junior

Might be old news but heard Brendan Clark o-lineman from judge transferred to haverford he's a big kid who impressed at one of the rival camp series only a junior

Judge lost several players this off-season.

Shame....such a proud program over the decades. There was a time not "long ago", Whitey and his boys were perennial contenders. Ice bags were at a premium following a tilt with the Crusaders. The '08 team, the last to make the PCL champ. game( tight loss to LS) was a solid team on both sides of the ball with several playmakers. Haven't been able to re-coop the magic since. Really good youth leagues in that football fertile area, they loose a lot to the other Catholics/privates. Wasn't always that way..

Certain players don't get along with certain players over judge that's not good with any team.there just trying to compete with prep and lasalle and can't do it there alumni is way stronger

Certain players don't get along with certain players over judge that's not good with any team.there just trying to compete with prep and lasalle and can't do it there alumni is way stronger

Saddens me to hear that Mac. Team camaraderie must start up top with the directed approach/principles of the coaching staff, secondarily team seniors/leaders. If there's an issue there, oh brother!!
Financial support will always peril in comparison to LS/Prep, yet it always has. My opinion is a school administration must fully support a respected coach with the latitude to build a program, alumni support will follow that lead. Wood seems to have taken that posture and the results have shown. Being an Archdiocese school, the tuition burden in comparison, you'd think would attract more kids in their direction? It all starts up top...

Your thoughts?

Is Jive Turkey still posting? I would like his opinion on the judge situation.

It's Haverford School and he reclassified as a junior.

Huck,
That would have impressed me some time ago. Top flight academic institution, if the move was for that, I could understand completely.
1- Academics still solid
2- Certainly not a football upgrade move. IMO..
3- HS has become an elite Lacrosse recruiting machine, most of the love thrown in their direction.
4- Several "ugly" incidences requiring law enforcement and adjudication last few years involving current/former athletes. How the drug ring was masked so long defies me! That has tarnished the HS image in my mind.

Yeah....where is Jive Turkey??

Last edited:
Judge will have another down year this year. Yeedee will not be able to carry this team alone in his shoulders on both sides of the ball even though it will be fun trying to watch him do just that. Judge has an undersized QB in King who will likely look to run first than pass. Judge lost some speed and skill at wideout due to transfer and some beef on the line. Coach McKay I'd in a tough position. It's hard enough trying to retain home grown talent from Judge's feeder neighborhoods with the infiltration of SJP, Roman and Wood at Crispin, Holmesburg and Rhawnhurst youth football programs let alone St. Jeromes and St. Matts CYO football. Then coach McKay has to sit around and watch his best Frosh/Soph/JR talent get poached away. Now some of the Inter-Ac schools are calling throwing tuition arrangements around and reclassifications. Not to mention some of the negative publicity including the Q. Gibson gun incident at Del-Val HS where a fatality occurred. Also the stabbing incident from 2 years ago on Rowland Ave where football/wrestler athletes were victims. Judge will probably win only a few games this year and none in the division for a 2nd year in a row. Will things ever look up at Solly and Rowland Aves? What do you think Jive/Huck?

Reactions: lilromeo
Your probably right and you wouldn't see yeedee on that roster as well if he can just pay a few dollars.wood tried and realized how much he paid.but it's a shame yeedee being at judge is hurting his recruiting for a d1 college.i see Delaware or Towson in end

Judge has had racist problems for years, research why Bullock transferred from Judge. Majority of the black players deem Judge has racist, so they look for other alternatives

Plus with kids chasing offers, they see the attention other schools bring in i.e Prep and Wood

I know we agreed not to comment on each other but Samir transfered because he wasn't gonna start

Bullock would've started for sure.Who was there that would've started in his place? I'm fully aware of the circumstances leading to his departure involving a fight over a female with racial undertones and he was unfortunately on the other end of a fight involving more than one individual on other end. Totally inexcusable and he didn't deserve it. He was a really polite, humble kid. Judge paid for that one due to the actions of a few knuckleheads. I'll admit there is some element of racism at Judge as anywhere. However I've never seen the student body as diverse as it's been in recent years.

Getting back to X and O's. What's Judge have two W's for sure on their schedule? NE and Lincoln? Maybe SCH and Chester? Ryan will be a battle. Probably no shot at Salesianum and Haverford School. Definite L's vs RC, SJP and LS. I give McKay credit for the schedule. No Fels on there this year. I know Judge FB isn't a hot topic of conversation but it speaks to a broader topic. Can Judge compete or be expected to compete at this level of AAAA competition? Is the PIAA doing them any favors in making them do so?

Huck,
That would have impressed me some time ago. Top flight academic institution, if the move was for that, I could understand completely.
1- Academics still solid
2- Certainly not a football upgrade move. IMO..
3- HS has become an elite Lacrosse recruiting machine, most of the love thrown in their direction.
4- Several "ugly" incidences requiring law enforcement and adjudication last few years involving current/former athletes. How the drug ring was masked so long defies me! That has tarnished the HS image in my mind.

Yeah....where is Jive Turkey??
Yesman,
From a football standpoint, Haverford School will play Judge this year. They will smoke them just as bad if not worse than they smoked Roman last year. That to me, would be a significant upgrade as far as football is concerned. Academically, you are correct, there is no discussion. As a graduate, I also agree that the recent problems with law enforcement are an embarrassment. However, if the student/athlete in question goes there, does well academically and plays well he has a much better chance of playing at a top college program than if he were to stay at Judge.

Letter to local football community: This transfer thing is now 100% ridiculous. The overall football community should be embarrssed. This win at all costs, grass is greener philosophy that is rampant flies right in the face of what makes the game at high school level such a worthwhile experience for the bulk of the kids. It's about adversity, 11 man teamwork, facing physical and mental challenges everyday that don't exist in just about any other sport.

Parents are bats*** crazy and have expectations for many of these kids that are completely overblown. Not sure if it's their own ego, thinking this the way the college financial situation they have not prepared for is going to be solved or just the insane landscape of our current four second attention span society.

Newsflash you are hurting your kids. If there are 50 FBS and FCS players in whole area its a lot. Mathmatically the likllihood is your kid isn't one of them. His college future doesn't depend on him transfering the to uber high school program for his senior year where Nick Saban is going to find him. In reality even if your kid is an all league player all of this effort is probably going towards getting $2500 or $5000 off of PSAC tuition at the very best.

Thousands of dollars spent on camps, showcases, personal trainers etc. Those guys are in business. Spending a ton of money on those probably has a low ROI. The bulk of it can be accomplished for free in your own schools program. You are getting sold a dream. That's also how the PA lottery makes oddles of money.

It is your dream or your kids dream? Isn't part growing up finding out that you can do everything in your power to get to where you want to go and maybe only get 50% of the way there. Teaching your kid to leave or go home when you or he don't like exactly the way it's going personally or teamwise is damaging. Done enough times it becomes a major character flaw. Football is here to help build character. Often times playing strictly at the high school level more than achieves this without playing a down in college. Football is hard and practice sucks. Playing four of five more years in college after playing 10 years of youth and high school often gets old.

If your kid is 5'10'' and a 200 pund linebacker it's not the HS coaches fault James Franklin isn't knocking on his door. The fact that he got a letter from South Carolina does not mean they are recruiting him. I know the guy at the Villanova camp said they loved Jimmy. They really loved the $250 and told Johnny the same thing. You and your son should enjoy his high school experience. It's an unbelievable time than done the right way will teach many lessons that your son will fall back on in life. Enjoy it because the odds are this is likely it. Even the best of players may get hurt or just decide they have had enough. If his job is to run under kicks and you think he should be the next Dick Butkus enjoy watching him run under kicks. Even if the coach is wrong it will help him when 25 years from now Simon from Finance got undeservingly promoted over top of him.

Lastly the coach didn't destroy your kids dream of playing football. Coaches want to win and put the best players on the field. Only caveat is attitude problems or not having the mental capacity to be counted to be where the coach needs him. If your kids dream was destroyed by a coach unforutnately the dream was a fantasy. There is a difference.

Coaches, as an asset class you need to take reponsibility for the current environment that has been created. You guys created it. Your primary role is an educator and molder of men. You can't run around and talk to parents about building men through your school and football program and then act like Barry Switzer in 1981 whenever any stud's parent calls you to transfer because it makes you a better football team this year. This isn't college football. You want to do that go coach college. You have a kid in your program who works his tail off and you preach work ethic, family, integrity and then bring in a junior or senior transfer who is clearly better the kid sees it's all BS. The other kids see it's BS as well. They know immediately what it's about. It's about YOU. Primarily it's about YOU winning. Your goals will be thinly veiled as things that are best for the team. These aren't grown men you are coaching. It's not a business no matter what you believe. It's an educational extracurriclar activity. Act with some level of integrity and decency. Same thing applies to you. UCLA or the Pittsburgh Steelers aren't finding their next head coach out of Joe Blow Prep. Run a quality program that helps produce quality people. Plaques fade, people you produce endure. If it means losing a few more games than you would have it you went renegade so be it. The only people that need to know you would not stoop to that level are you and the men you produce. That's enough.

Letter to local football community: This transfer thing is now 100% ridiculous. The overall football community should be embarrssed. This win at all costs, grass is greener philosophy that is rampant flies right in the face of what makes the game at high school level such a worthwhile experience for the bulk of the kids. It's about adversity, 11 man teamwork, facing physical and mental challenges everyday that don't exist in just about any other sport.

Parents are bats*** crazy and have expectations for many of these kids that are completely overblown. Not sure if it's their own ego, thinking this the way the college financial situation they have not prepared for is going to be solved or just the insane landscape of our current four second attention span society.

Newsflash you are hurting your kids. If there are 50 FBS and FCS players in whole area its a lot. Mathmatically the likllihood is your kid isn't one of them. His college future doesn't depend on him transfering the to uber high school program for his senior year where Nick Saban is going to find him. In reality even if your kid is an all league player all of this effort is probably going towards getting $2500 or $5000 off of PSAC tuition at the very best.

Thousands of dollars spent on camps, showcases, personal trainers etc. Those guys are in business. Spending a ton of money on those probably has a low ROI. The bulk of it can be accomplished for free in your own schools program. You are getting sold a dream. That's also how the PA lottery makes oddles of money.

It is your dream or your kids dream? Isn't part growing up finding out that you can do everything in your power to get to where you want to go and maybe only get 50% of the way there. Teaching your kid to leave or go home when you or he don't like exactly the way it's going personally or teamwise is damaging. Done enough times it becomes a major character flaw. Football is here to help build character. Often times playing strictly at the high school level more than achieves this without playing a down in college. Football is hard and practice sucks. Playing four of five more years in college after playing 10 years of youth and high school often gets old.

If your kid is 5'10'' and a 200 pund linebacker it's not the HS coaches fault James Franklin isn't knocking on his door. The fact that he got a letter from South Carolina does not mean they are recruiting him. I know the guy at the Villanova camp said they loved Jimmy. They really loved the $250 and told Johnny the same thing. You and your son should enjoy his high school experience. It's an unbelievable time than done the right way will teach many lessons that your son will fall back on in life. Enjoy it because the odds are this is likely it. Even the best of players may get hurt or just decide they have had enough. If his job is to run under kicks and you think he should be the next Dick Butkus enjoy watching him run under kicks. Even if the coach is wrong it will help him when 25 years from now Simon from Finance got undeservingly promoted over top of him.

Lastly the coach didn't destroy your kids dream of playing football. Coaches want to win and put the best players on the field. Only caveat is attitude problems or not having the mental capacity to be counted to be where the coach needs him. If your kids dream was destroyed by a coach unforutnately the dream was a fantasy. There is a difference.

Coaches, as an asset class you need to take reponsibility for the current environment that has been created. You guys created it. Your primary role is an educator and molder of men. You can't run around and talk to parents about building men through your school and football program and then act like Barry Switzer in 1981 whenever any stud's parent calls you to transfer because it makes you a better football team this year. This isn't college football. You want to do that go coach college. You have a kid in your program who works his tail off and you preach work ethic, family, integrity and then bring in a junior or senior transfer who is clearly better the kid sees it's all BS. The other kids see it's BS as well. They know immediately what it's about. It's about YOU. Primarily it's about YOU winning. Your goals will be thinly veiled as things that are best for the team. These aren't grown men you are coaching. It's not a business no matter what you believe. It's an educational extracurriclar activity. Act with some level of integrity and decency. Same thing applies to you. UCLA or the Pittsburgh Steelers aren't finding their next head coach out of Joe Blow Prep. Run a quality program that helps produce quality people. Plaques fade, people you produce endure. If it means losing a few more games than you would have it you went renegade so be it. The only people that need to know you would not stoop to that level are you and the men you produce. That's enough.
Good Post - Agree
The problem is when your program is run by a 5'2" coach and he was mentored by a 5'2" coach, you are constantly trying to be the tallest midget in the circus! You collect every pretty shiny player from the area to make yourself feel like a winner and you will tell them anything they want to hear to make them come to your team and then stay on your team but then you don't have a clue what to do with them, you're 3 deep at every position, you run a 1950 style 3 yards and a cloud of dust running game and you don't have a clue how to stretch the field! On top of that you have a D1 QB on your roster for 2 years and you don't even know it, horrible talent evaluator! If it wasn't for Russo demanding an open competition, Garlick would still be under center. Zero talent evaluating skills, zero! Well we only have to put up with this for one more season and then everything goes back to normal and we get our team back! Yeah! You wonder why their schedule is so weak, No one will play them, b/c they don't respect and are disgusted with the napoleon coach! Let's see how it goes this year without the real coach on the team!

Last edited:
Too Funny.....I always do!
Be Well
You have a lot to say. Now if they win big this year what will you say?? As far as transfers go, the parents are the ones that make that decision so you must believe each and every parent is suckered by this coach? This is the same drivel one hears about every successful coach. Be honest------ what connection are you to Wood? & did he screw you or someone you know over by bringing in a player ?? The kind of anger and passion you are showing sounds like a jilted lover.

FBU82, you should tell us how you really feel :)
Yo Burrs, wasn't Devlin a much respected assistant for some great Prep teams ? Also, wasn't he already enjoying some success before he brought Carey on board? Bringing Carey onto his staff tells me he is not insecure.

You have a lot to say. Now if they win big this year what will you say?? As far as transfers go, the parents are the ones that make that decision so you must believe each and every parent is suckered by this coach? This is the same drivel one hears about every successful coach. Be honest------ what connection are you to Wood? & did he screw you or someone you know over by bringing in a player ?? The kind of anger and passion you are showing sounds like a jilted lover.
Had a very successful run thru the program. Absolutely no problem there. If you had a clue of the day to day deals....you would see things differently, more wins does not mean a better program! so just eat another donut...you don't know what you don't know! Don't pretend to be in the know, Pops! And your right, I'm always going to tell you exactly how I feel!

Huck,
Not sure it's going to be an easy transition for Wood. They have a QB with an arm, they've poached some talented wide-outs, but they're still Wood. Their offense is primarily geared to run the ball, it's their bread and butter. Having the players to execute a passing game and having a passing game are two different animals.
We'll see soon enough, should be interesting..

I wrote a tribute few weeks back on the passing of Coach Fran Murphy, former Upper Merion football coach during some of their "glory" years of the early '70's. He had a similar situation arise with Bobby Baker/Bobby Thomas et al on the squad. He transformed that team from a classic between/off tackle and 18/19 roll-out offense to an aerial display that set all passing and receiving records in the state that held for decades. Difference here is Coach Murph had this O running for 3 yrs. As soon as those boys graduated, they went back to ground & pound.

I don't know who the OC at Wood is or is Devlin the defacto OC? My sense is it will be as much of a transition adjustment for the OL than the skill people in running a new offense that prominently features the pass. With Mike C. taking the year off, puts even more burden who subs.
Idk...... perhaps it will work out just fine??

Yo Yesman, I just saw your post on Upper Merion's Bobby Baker & Bobby Thomas & it brought back memories. They came from behind in a driving rain and a mud pit to beat Abington that year. They have to be one of the best QB/ WR combo ever in the area. I think Thomas went to Nebraska to be "the next Johnny Rogers" & I think he had a decent career. Baker I think went to Temple & not sure what happened there. They were fun to watch.

Had a very successful run thru the program. Absolutely no problem there. If you had a clue of the day to day deals....you would see things differently, more wins does not mean a better program! so just eat another donut...you don't know what you don't know! Don't pretend to be in the know, Pops! And your right, I'm always going to tell you exactly how I feel!
You come off like a broken hero Wide One

Seamon and yeedee were the running backs Samir's jr year he was told he wouldn't start and a family friend called macardle and Ryan gladly took him

Yo Burrs, wasn't Devlin a much respected assistant for some great Prep teams ? Also, wasn't he already enjoying some success before he brought Carey on board? Bringing Carey onto his staff tells me he is not insecure.

Yes, yes, and adding Carey defies the insecure opinion. One might think that a coach who wanted all the glory would stay away from bringing in a Carey type.

You come off like a broken hero Wide One
No, nothing broken here Pops, just intelligent enough to be able to see the bad within the program i follow and who is creating it! It will all get back to normal next year! If there's anything else you need to know...just HMU daddyo

Seamon and yeedee were the running backs Samir's jr year he was told he wouldn't start and a family friend called macardle and Ryan gladly took him

Seamon was a good football player, but not on Bullock's level as a RB. Bullock had a very good season as a sophomore. No reason to think that would t have continued. Maybe, in a dual role with Yeedee.

Yo Yesman, I just saw your post on Upper Merion's Bobby Baker & Bobby Thomas & it brought back memories. They came from behind in a driving rain and a mud pit to beat Abington that year. They have to be one of the best QB/ WR combo ever in the area. I think Thomas went to Nebraska to be "the next Johnny Rogers" & I think he had a decent career. Baker I think went to Temple & not sure what happened there. They were fun to watch.

chuvalo,
Good memory!! Was in junior high at time but we followed that varsity team as they were getting all the headlines.

Baker went to Fla. State, new coach left following year, transitioned to wishbone. That was end of Baker's career at FSU!! Transferred to Temple to finish out college career. Thomas had a solid college career, had a cup of coffee with Minnesota Vikings for a few years then made a career move into the Military.
That Saturday Abington game was one of the few played in SEPA d/t awful weather conditions, Baker/Thomas brought back UM from 3 TD's down in last 3+ minutes to go rescuing that championship season.
Coach Murphy went on to Head coach the PA Big 33 team in their victory over Ohio that year. I do recall Tony Dorsett was the star RB on that squad, but Baker/Thomas lit up the stat sheets in propelling PA to victory. Coach Murphy passed away recently, was a dear friend of my family.

Ted Silary read this post and called me with some additional details. He wasn't covering the game, but went with some friends. He left after the 3rd QT with the score 18-0 Abington.

UM later went down 24-7. Took the lead after an onside kick with 2:15 left.

Baker passed 19-38-235-3 TDs in the driving rain. Thomas had 15 catches for 174 yards and two scores, including the game winner of 47 yards.

Ted said Thomas once had 22 catches in a game.

Also, that most of the games that night were called off. However, Abington was a wishbone team and playing at home. The thought they had the advantage :)

Why not handle transfers like they do in Jersey? Anyone who transfers sits 4 games whether its athletic or not. This business about the sending school lodging a complaint is hocum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT