ADVERTISEMENT

Transfers

Blackshear will be a junior, not a senior.

Also, it's more on the kids. The lack of loyalty is alarming in some cases. Everyone thinks the grass is greener someplace else. Everyone thinks they are a D-1 player. They don't always get the soundest of advice. There's a ton of players and only a limited amount of scholarships to go around. Simple numbers game. Kids see others getting attention at marquee places like Imhotep and Wood and think it can be them, too. They talk to one another, train together, do 7-7 together, and that's typically how a high-profile transfer begins. I think the problem lies in loyalty from payers than coaches "poaching" the talent.

Huck,
I respect your take, always have, and would generally agree with your perspective. My angst has always been not "rising" SENIORS, one and done year mercenaries'. That looks bush, the schools/league can regulate and address that. Junior movement gets slack, as it should for most school's protocol.

Last edited:
Huck,
After the consensus of "pundits"(not you) had buried this LS team to an essential non-factor following the Gordon's departure saga and grad loses, could be an intriguing season??

I agree....

Though the QB play is sure to drop. You just don't replace the talents of a Kyle Shurmur. They should still be steady at the position.

They also have a plethora of skill kids; Madden, Jones, Rinella, Walls, Headen, and Eubanks that I know about.

They have the makings of a good OL group with the likes of McDermott, McCracken, and Schutta to name a few.

Defensively, they'll have to rebuild a little. Also, this is the area that has plagued them versus SJP recently. its been a matchup nightmare. LS just hasn't had the athletes to slow-up SJP's versatile and dynamic offense.

Huck,
I respect your take, always have, and would generally agree with your perspective. My angst has always been not "rising" SENIORS, one and done year mercenaries'. That looks bush, the schools/league can regulate and address that. Junior movement gets slack, as it should for most school's protocol.

I think that's fair.....Typically, I'm not an anti-transfer guy, but I would be in favor for a universal no senior transfer rule in the PCL or D12. With the exception of special circumstances like a move into the area or a kid that was asked/forced to leave a school for a unique reason.

I agree....

Though the QB play is sure to drop. You just don't replace the talents of a Kyle Shurmur. They should still be steady at the position.

They also have a plethora of skill kids; Madden, Jones, Rinella, Walls, Headen, and Eubanks that I know about.

They have the makings of a good OL group with the likes of McDermott, McCracken, and Schutta to name a few.

Defensively, they'll have to rebuild a little. Also, this is the area that has plagued them versus SJP recently. its been a matchup nightmare. LS just hasn't had the athletes to slow-up SJP's versatile and dynamic offense.

Agreed. All starts at the line of scrimmage Huck, on both sides of the ball...

What Wood has proven over the years, even when they didn't have "elite" backfields, control l.o.s. and you generally control the game. Prep controlled l.o.s. far better in PCL final than reg. season contest. Swift and Zacheous(spelling?) where running downhill most of the game..... and the final score was reflective of that.

No Mike Carey, who is line coach?

Not sure. But I don't see this being too much of an issue. Good chance that new guy won't be changing principles all that much. Plus, it's not like rising seniors and juniors weren't coached by MC in previous years.

Not sure. But I don't see this being too much of an issue. Good chance that new guy won't be changing principles all that much. Plus, it's not like rising seniors and juniors weren't coached by MC in previous years.
Also, Tom White Jr. said he was stepping down. Tom was in lock step with Mike regarding the OL...Interesting season coming up!
From ground and pound to run and shoot? We'll have to wait and see if they are the NEW look Vikings!

Also, Tom White Jr. said he was stepping down. Tom was in lock step with Mike regarding the OL...Interesting season coming up!
From ground and pound to run and shoot? We'll have to wait and see if they are the NEW look Vikings!

FBU,
Perhaps another sign the apocalypse is upon us...

2015 SEPA FB notes..
--Wood predominant passing team or 50%.... I still believe unlikely. Mike Carey first admission to the re-opening of Byberry.
--LaSalle goes ground and pound... Drew Gordon requires portable oxygen while watching game from stands during McDevitt off week.

FBU,
Perhaps another sign the apocalypse is upon us...

2015 SEPA FB notes..
--Wood predominant passing team or 50%.... I still believe unlikely. Mike Carey first admission to the re-opening of Byberry.
--LaSalle goes ground and pound... Drew Gordon requires portable oxygen while watching game from stands during McDevitt off week.
somethings gotta give....
NO LINE - RB behind the curtain, yet to be revealed! CRAZY GOOD WR(s) and QB!
Lost 2 OL coaches! Undersized at all positions except WR & QB! Maybe the apocalypse will come B4 labor day and we'll never find out! (smile) - I think they will have to throw, since I don't think "the line with NO NAME" will steamroll anyone!

Lost 2 OL coaches! Undersized at all positions except WR & QB! Maybe the apocalypse will come B4 labor day and we'll never find out! (smile) - I think they will have to throw, since I don't think "the line with NO NAME" will steamroll anyone!

FBU,
I actually think this is going to be a great year to view Dist. 1/12 football.

So many interesting story lines to evolve. Whether they win or not, seeing Wood and LaSalle in particular present offensive schemes/patterns that haven't been observed since the Reagan presidency would be a hoot!

It's Wood, so I'm not buying the "No line" narrative even a little bit. Stengel had decent size, so did some UC on last year's roster, plus at least one quality transfer from Abington. Any others? Won't be on the level of the last two years, but not many are anyway.

Yea, they'll break In new backfield. Unlikely to match McClentin/Arcangeli, which isn't surprising. They were pretty good :)

Agree on the passing game. We'll see more of that, even in traditional settings. Not just when the outcome is a forgone conclusion.

FBU, speaking of WRs, but is James Jordan there from Chestnut Hill?

It's Wood, so I'm not buying the "No line" narrative even a little bit. Stengel had decent size, so did some UC on last year's roster, plus at least one quality transfer from Abington. Any others? Won't be on the level of the last two years, but not many are anyway.

Yea, they'll break In new backfield. Unlikely to match McClentin/Arcangeli, which isn't surprising. They were pretty good :)

Agree on the passing game. We'll see more of that, even in traditional settings. Not just when the outcome is a forgone conclusion.

Yes he is playing corner and some receiver

Huck - you know Wood...We don't know the complete roster until they kick-off Labor day weekend! Sometimes not until after the Ryan game (smile)! Coach lets players "walk on" after camp and still plays them! SMH

The rumor is Bonner's All- Catholic MLb Tom Becker is transfering to Springfield (Delco) for his SR YR.

Saw Jordan Johnson's Hudl page earlier and it listed his school as Wood. He had over 700 yards receiving last year.

Wood opening it up this year has some traction. They potentially go four WRs with Webb, Gillespie, Johnson, and Blackshear.

Saw Jordan Johnson's Hudl page earlier and it listed his school as Wood. He had over 700 yards receiving last year.

Wood opening it up this year has some traction. They potentially go four WRs with Webb, Gillespie, Johnson, and Blackshear.

Huck,
Not sure it's going to be an easy transition for Wood. They have a QB with an arm, they've poached some talented wide-outs, but they're still Wood. Their offense is primarily geared to run the ball, it's their bread and butter. Having the players to execute a passing game and having a passing game are two different animals.
We'll see soon enough, should be interesting..

I wrote a tribute few weeks back on the passing of Coach Fran Murphy, former Upper Merion football coach during some of their "glory" years of the early '70's. He had a similar situation arise with Bobby Baker/Bobby Thomas et al on the squad. He transformed that team from a classic between/off tackle and 18/19 roll-out offense to an aerial display that set all passing and receiving records in the state that held for decades. Difference here is Coach Murph had this O running for 3 yrs. As soon as those boys graduated, they went back to ground & pound.

I don't know who the OC at Wood is or is Devlin the defacto OC? My sense is it will be as much of a transition adjustment for the OL than the skill people in running a new offense that prominently features the pass. With Mike C. taking the year off, puts even more burden who subs.
Idk...... perhaps it will work out just fine??

Last edited:

The only one holding this team back this year is the "jockey" holding the reins (small joke insert here) I'm not real confident that he is able to adapt and change. Anytime he couldn't run over someone, he got out coached. ACC / Erie Cathedral /prep x2 / Lasalle. Anytime game was in hand or tie/close at the half, ZERO adjustments and just went with what got him there! He called a "down the field" type game with Whitney. Let's hope he can execute with this pool of talent that he has collected. If he can mimic the Shurmer like execution.......they will go far and maybe even leave the TEP boys shaking their heads. b/c the line play will be 12th place out of the past 12 years! Run and shoot......hear we come!
Mark Webb has mad skill and is the nicest kid you'll ever meet and he WILL be playing SEC and on Sunday!

Huck,
Not sure it's going to be an easy transition for Wood. They have a QB with an arm, they've poached some talented wide-outs, but they're still Wood. Their offense is primarily geared to run the ball, it's their bread and butter. Having the players to execute a passing game and having a passing game are two different animals.
We'll see soon enough, should be interesting..

Yea, not saying it's going to be a seamless transition, but I do think you'll see more balance. Even going from a 78/22 spirit to 65/35 split is significant. I agree that pounding the ball runs thru the blood there. I think the AW staff is flexible enough to understand that they can be successful and have enough talent to be more than just decently functional thru the air. Especially, if overall OL play is down a notch or two and a go-to back might not have established themselves yet. I still think they'll be pretty good in those areas when it's all said and done.

Yea, not saying it's going to be a seamless transition, but I do think you'll see more balance. Even going from a 78/22 spirit to 65/35 split is significant. I agree that pounding the ball runs thru the blood there. I think the AW staff is flexible enough to understand that they can be successful and have enough talent to be more than just decently functional thru the air. Especially, if overall OL play is down a notch or two and a go-to back might not have established themselves yet. I still think they'll be pretty good in those areas when it's all said and done.

....and of course further down that 309 corridor, perhaps watching a LS team go more ground & pound this year would be equally intriguing.

Need to get back to work, be well..

Look if Frankford could switch from 65years of wing-t football to a spread shotgun I think Wood will have no problem suiting the players they have.

Look if Frankford could switch from 65years of wing-t football to a spread shotgun I think Wood will have no problem suiting the players they have.

Coach,
This will be a big test for Devlin, showing the ability to adapt, even if it's for a season. The game that matters foremost of course will be the D12 final. With what 'Tep has coming back, it will be imperative to pass for control and keep possession. The real question I suppose is can they stop them, 'Tep have no problem moving the ball and scoring in last year's title game. A few miscues was the difference. On paper, with both teams healthy, would think 'Tep would be a 7+ pt. favorite. IMHO.. I know it's still July boys, just fun looking ahead. What are the chances either one doesn't make it to the final??

Never know, that's why the games are played.. Crosby looking to exercise the "big game" demons!

Ray Bordley the 6- 6 lineman from West Chester Rustin transferred to the IMG Academy in Fl for his Sr yr.

I was told Paramus at img but I could be wrong I didn't know both were playing

I was told Paramus at img but I could be wrong I didn't know both were playing
You are correct that both Paramus Catholic and Bergan catholic are playing IMG. The Bergan C. game is in North jersey ,Paramus C, In bradington Florida. Bergan is not that far away ,,if you decide to see that particular game.

ADVERTISEMENT