ADVERTISEMENT

St. Joes Prep- Offensive Problems?

What was the final?
The final was 28-7.

I listened to just over half the game on the radio--not the best way to get a sense of the game. The Prep gave the ball up once on the goal line and later had a fumble on about the Bosco 20. I think there was another fumble.

Lots and lots of penalties on both teams. No idea if they were all deserved.

One thing to think about the Prep. Their defense is set--very few substitutions. But on offense they're still rotating four running backs (West, Phillips, Sanchez, and Dyches) and using different combinations of receivers (Washington, Rehmann, Jones, Turner, Hardy, and maybe others), so maybe not a great surprise that they still not so settled. Plus four of the six starters on the O-Line are new (as starters). It might be a bit like last year where the offense really got into gear towards the end of the season.

The final was 28-7.

I listened to just over half the game on the radio--not the best way to get a sense of the game. The Prep gave the ball up once on the goal line and later had a fumble on about the Bosco 20. I think there was another fumble.

Lots and lots of penalties on both teams. No idea if they were all deserved.

One thing to think about the Prep. Their defense is set--very few substitutions. But on offense they're still rotating four running backs (West, Phillips, Sanchez, and Dyches) and using different combinations of receivers (Washington, Rehmann, Jones, Turner, Hardy, and maybe others), so maybe not a great surprise that they still not so settled. Plus four of the six starters on the O-Line are new (as starters). It might be a bit like last year where the offense really got into gear towards the end of the season.
Not like they’re playing push overs. To win 28-7 against bosco and we find chinks is awesome. . Also, Lakeland was a good team and they scored 45 on them. Hope there’s Struggles I hope it’s not fixed by our game. I think they start conference play next week.

Not like they’re playing push overs. To win 28-7 against bosco and we find chinks is awesome. . Also, Lakeland was a good team and they scored 45 on them. Hope there’s Struggles I hope it’s not fixed by our game. I think they start conference play next week.
Yes, against Wood. They have a game at Spalding on October 20, but other than that the rest of the regular season is against PCL teams.

I don't think anyone knowing anything about Philly-Jersey ball is criticizing them. In an off/rebuilding year DBP has good stuff. And as tulla reminds, it's still early or, still working things out.

I don't think anyone knowing anything about Philly-Jersey ball is criticizing them. In an off/rebuilding year DBP has good stuff. And as tulla reminds, it's still early or, still working things out.
I suppose it should also be noted that in the last five weeks SJP has gone to DC to scrimmage St. John's. to Ocean City to play IMG, to Wilmington for St. Peter's Prep, to Florida for Lakeland, and to north North Jersey (well above NYC) to play Bosco. All that cuts into practice time. Maybe not so surprising that they are not yet a well-oiled machine.

I suppose it should also be noted that in the last five weeks SJP has gone to DC to scrimmage St. John's. to Ocean City to play IMG, to Wilmington for St. Peter's Prep, to Florida for Lakeland, and to north North Jersey (well above NYC) to play Bosco. All that cuts into practice time. Maybe not so surprising that they are not yet a well-oiled machine.
Also school on a Friday.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Great point. And I imagine you cannot find a team in the country who has such a schedule. And, North Jersey, up in the woods is a whole other world.

Great point. And I imagine you cannot find a team in the country who has such a schedule. And, North Jersey, up in the woods is a whole other world.
Stalker, As it has turned out (because SPP and DBP look to be having relatively down years), at least a few schools have had a tougher opening month schedule than SJP. On the other hand, IMG may be the best team in the country and it's always tough to win in Florida and on a Friday night at Bosco. Spalding (which has won all its games except for a very close loss on the road to IMHOTEP) will be a tough away game on Oct. 20, and we saw what Roman did against DeMatha last night. LaSalle will throw everything it has into the Prep game(s). Maybe for the first time since 2011 the PCC Red championship game won't be LaSalle vs. SJP.

Stalker, As it has turned out (because SPP and DBP look to be having relatively down years), at least a few schools have had a tougher opening month schedule than SJP. On the other hand, IMG may be the best team in the country and it's always tough to win in Florida and on a Friday night at Bosco. Spalding (which has won all its games except for a very close loss on the road to IMHOTEP) will be a tough away game on Oct. 20, and we saw what Roman did against DeMatha last night. LaSalle will throw everything it has into the Prep game(s). Maybe for the first time since 2011 the PCC Red championship game won't be LaSalle vs. SJP.
Absolutely. I meant the travel regimen, not schedule difficulty. I thought Roman would have been interesting last year in post season, not to offend the Up Dub crowd. After what they did to Wilson who gets C grades rather than A marks the last 2-3 years, I was still impressed with them. And now a DeMatha near miss.
Amen on LS and SJP selling out. Just hope for health as they really go at it, reg and post.

Reactions: lilromeo
Absolutely. I meant the travel regimen, not schedule difficulty. I thought Roman would have been interesting last year in post season, not to offend the Up Dub crowd. After what they did to Wilson who gets C grades rather than A marks the last 2-3 years, I was still impressed with them. And now a DeMatha near miss.
Amen on LS and SJP selling out. Just hope for health as they really go at it, reg and post.
I just watched a tape of most of the SJP-Bosco game. What kept the game from being a mini-blowout were three turnovers by SJP and a blown play on the Bosco goal-line followed by what appeared to be a TD run by West that the refs said fell inches short.

Reactions: Stalker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT