ADVERTISEMENT

SoCal gets in gear: Mater Dei tops Centennial, 28-14

CAMoleskinner

Jun 4, 2019
It's here!

And one of the matchups we'll all be watching closely tonight (here in LA) is pre-season national number one Mater Dei on the road against local public school juggernaut, Corona Centennial. Causing a lot of excitement in this game (besides the obvious) is that it's the first season for the Monarchs without Head Coach Bruce Rollinson since the early '90s (long time assistant Frank McManus has taken over the reigns).

Anyway, putting this tussle in context is the fact that Mater Dei is ranked number one both nationally and locally with Centennial number three in SoCal (St. John Bosco is number two) and then around 15 to 20 or so nationally (depending on the poll).

Just a couple of local schools meeting on the gridiron.

Here we go!!

It's here!

And one of the matchups we'll all be watching closely tonight (here in LA) is pre-season national number one Mater Dei on the road against local public school juggernaut, Corona Centennial. Causing a lot of excitement in this game (besides the obvious) is that it's the first season for the Monarchs without Head Coach Bruce Rollinson since the early '90s (long time assistant Frank McManus has taken over the reigns).

Anyway, putting this tussle in context is the fact that Mater Dei is ranked number one both nationally and locally with Centennial number three in SoCal (St. John Bosco is number two) and then around 15 to 20 or so nationally (depending on the poll).

Just a couple of local schools meeting on the gridiron.

Here we go!!
I watched the Georgia kickoff game that featured a future Ohio state QB and a future Alabama WR. It was a great offensive game .

Monarchs put up a few more in the second half with Corona getting two of their own to make it interesting -- but it wasn't quite enough for the hosts as the scoreboard read Mater Dei 28 - Centennial 14 at the final gun.

Last edited:
Reactions: bucksftball
YOU are responsible for Florida (my friend)!

Speaking of Florida -- I'll be in Miami on Saturday, September 16 - is there a reason to catch Central (Miami) versus Carol City? St. Thomas Aquinas is on the road that night (my other choice) and I don't want to travel too far if I catch a game (following the game it's over to "11" for a while).

Wouldn't waste your time, 48-0 end of 3rd. Take a spin 30 minutes south of Cent High (20 from downtown) area for wonderful sites and views at the U. Used to hang out there and wow! It's in Coral Gables a few south of downtown but considered Miami. Take in the downtown area if a short visit to get the Cuban flavor that is wonderful. Great cigars!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT