ADVERTISEMENT

SJP-Coatesville

I hear you, for sure. I think most people would agree it's the PIAA's problem/fault. These schools are doing things that the PIAA is letting them do, so why would they stop. I hope whichever coach went all the way to Downingtown to talk to Sanders and the Youngs also passed along information and attention to the other 20 players on the team, but somehow I'm sure that didn't happen.
My issue w our local writers are not publishing the whole football landscape and specifically demonizing Catholic schools in particular. Chester County is very well educated and 33% Catholic do they aren’t buyIng into the non sense published. Report the whole story or public transfers, charter schools and private/Catholic if you want to have a respectable article not some antireligious rant.

Nate Heck - Read the title of your article. It’s a DYW reunion for Coatesville and St Joes Prep not what you stated. Think about it pal... the Young bros wanted to play for a more stable DYW when in damn well fact they should have been playing for the kid raiders. In my opinion DYW stole/recruited as these kids were playing out of boundary. It just shows your mind set on Catholic schools.

Reactions: MC1975
Funny hearing people complain-the size disparity of the 6A schools IMO a bigger issue than the Prep and LaSalle.

Give The Prep and LaSalle credit-Have they had a transfer on their roster since Infante arrived? Not a family moving in from out of town (Shurmur/Mornhinweg), but from a local school? I doubt it.

I get the complaints about Wood, NG, and it seems like CEC. I don't know enough about CEC to comment. NG: will be interested to see if kids will be there for four years or if Albie raids the cookie jar (kids already in HS) like Devlin.

If I had a son, and I could to send to Malvern, SJP, LaSalle, etc., then I owe it to my son to take a look. All anyone wants is the best for for their kid and wants them to be happy, right?

Kid worked his tail off, paid his dues, now getting an opportunity as a senior. Good for him. Wish him and all the kids playing tomorrow nothing but the best.

Last edited:
Reactions: roxychknpoxy
Yes they have had transfers. No one immune to this. It’s an epidemic. Public and private. Prep has taken transfer kids that can help. You also don’t have to be able to split the atom like many alums would have you believe. They have many kids there primarily to help them win football games. Doesn’t discount how good the program is, how hard the kids work, or how well coached they are. Just the facts of fielding a national level program.

I know that isn’t a news flash but wait for it. Someone will say no way it happens. You have to qualify first. Football doesn’t effect admissions or there is no shadow aid. Again they all do it. Prep no different. All these programs want to win. Easy to say it’s just high school football. A lot of things happening at both public and private schools in the name of winning hs games.

Funny hearing people complain-the size disparity of the 6A schools IMO a bigger issue than the Prep and LaSalle.

Give The Prep and LaSalle credit-Have they had a transfer on their roster since Infante arrived? Not a family moving in from out of town (Shurmur/Mornhinweg), but from a local school? I doubt it.

I get the complaints about Wood, NG, and it seems like CEC. I don't know enough about CEC to comment. NG: will be interested to see if kids will be there for four years or if Albie raids the cookie jar (kids already in HS) like Devlin.

If I had a son, and I could to send to Malvern, SJP, LaSalle, etc., then I owe it to my son to take a look. All anyone wants is the best fir for their kid and wants them to be happy, right?

Kid worked his tail off, paid his dues, now getting an opportunity as a senior. Good for him. Wish him and all the kids playing tomorrow nothing but the best.
D1

You really shouldn't make such uniformed and foolish statements and slander other coaches and programs. Like Gang pointed out Prep has taken transfers, and lasalle has taken a lot of transfers recently trying to keep up with Prep, to no avail. Ask GA (3), Upper Dublin, Wood, Ohara, NP, and a few others in the last few years. In fact my lasalle alumni friends preferred lasalle's success when they did not solicate transfers and had many talented, tough, smart, 2 sport athletes for 4 years. Those days seem to be over. Also, lasalle has tried to get many transfers and failed as well ask Abington, Wood, CEC, NP, GA, Malvern. I believe you are just naive, but you shouldn't attack other programs and try to elevate another without knowing the facts.

Reactions: MC1975
Salvucci: Not trying to throw anyone under the bus or elevate; I was going off of what I know, which is why I asked whether or not Prep/LaSalle took transfers. You don't hear much about their transfers as you do other schools.

As for the two coaches I mentioned, I'm not slandering-a friend's son was a sophomore in HS when one of the mentioned coaches contacted him about transferring.

Thanks for updating what I didn't know. I don't put the Inter-Ac schools in the discussion because they don't play for a state title. If they recruit kids already in high school, then they shouldn't be able to participate.

I know public school coaches go to CYO games, just like the PCL/Privates; that is a necessary part of the job. But the schools who recruit kids already in HS, that is a problem.

I'm a DT East guy, so I'm rooting for the Ches-Mont tomorrow.

Reactions: chiefredraider
Salvucci: Not trying to throw anyone under the bus or elevate; I was going off of what I know, which is why I asked whether or not Prep/LaSalle took transfers. You don't hear much about their transfers as you do other schools.

As for the two coaches I mentioned, I'm not slandering-a friend's son was a sophomore in HS when one of the mentioned coaches contacted him about transferring.

Thanks for updating what I didn't know. I don't put the Inter-Ac schools in the discussion because they don't play for a state title. If they recruit kids already in high school, then they shouldn't be able to participate.

I know public school coaches go to CYO games, just like the PCL/Privates; that is a necessary part of the job. But the schools who recruit kids already in HS, that is a problem.

I'm a DT East guy, so I'm rooting for the Ches-Mont tomorrow.
I'm just curious about the number of transfers in to SJP - sounds like a lot. You have better info than me, I'm open minded, bring me up to speed.

Roxy

When Prep decided to go all in with the football program, which I applaud, they created a scenario where they could attract talent and depth from a wide area and less transfers were attracted. A very good player from Camden who ended up transferring back to NJ after senior season comes to mind. But Prep simply cast a very wide net for freshmen with all of their resources, from Easton, PA to Toms River NJ for QB's, some stay, some don't. From Downingtown to Yardley, to Uptown Philly they have attracted some great players. More power to them. Less about transfers and more about a prgram with a lot of resources, success and quality education being the biggest resources.

Reactions: lilromeo
Roxy

When Prep decided to go all in with the football program, which I applaud, they created a scenario where they could attract talent and depth from a wide area and less transfers were attracted. A very good player from Camden who ended up transferring back to NJ after senior season comes to mind. But Prep simply cast a very wide net for freshmen with all of their resources, from Easton, PA to Toms River NJ for QB's, some stay, some don't. From Downingtown to Yardley, to Uptown Philly they have attracted some great players. More power to them. Less about transfers and more about a prgram with a lot of resources, success and quality education being the biggest resources.
Vooch -

No doubt ... there's no debating that. Frankly, I don't advocate traveling much more than an hour to and fro. With that being said, SJP got some divine Jesuit intervention taking a shot on Infante and he's far exceeded all expectations. He travels extensively supporting heads up technique and football in general. He's an infectious charismatic guy that has now created the vacuum effect to which you refer. The program has become somewhat magnetic, however, only 22 can play so not all talent goes there. The reality is he truly develops players and they are loyal to the process. You're assessment is accurate. Time will tell.

Vooch -

No doubt ... there's no debating that. Frankly, I don't advocate traveling much more than an hour to and fro. With that being said, SJP got some divine Jesuit intervention taking a shot on Infante and he's far exceeded all expectations. He travels extensively supporting heads up technique and football in general. He's an infectious charismatic guy that has now created the vacuum effect to which you refer. The program has become somewhat magnetic, however, only 22 can play so not all talent goes there. The reality is he truly develops players and they are loyal to the process. You're assessment is accurate. Time will tell.
From what I've gathered, in the last few years the Prep has had one or two transfers a year. Last year there was a lineman who started at Bonner and transferred to the Prep after sophomore year. I can't recall a single case of a senior transfer. It's also the case that some players transfer from the Prep. Last year there was a linebacker who played quite a bit who transferred to a public school for his senior year. I have not idea why. More commonly, players (including some very promising ones) have left during or after freshman year, at least in some cases because of difficulty keeping up academically, but in some cases the travel may get to them or maybe it's just not the right fit.

Bottom line: I can't think of a year when at least 20 of 22 starters came to the Prep at the start of freshman year.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
From what I've gathered, in the last few years the Prep has had one or two transfers a year. Last year there was a lineman who started at Bonner and transferred to the Prep after sophomore year. I can't recall a single case of a senior transfer. It's also the case that some players transfer from the Prep. Last year there was a linebacker who played quite a bit who transferred to a public school for his senior year. I have not idea why. More commonly, players (including some very promising ones) have left during or after freshman year, at least in some cases because of difficulty keeping up academically, but in some cases the travel may get to them or maybe it's just not the right fit.

Bottom line: I can't think of a year when at least 20 of 22 starters came to the Prep at the start of freshman year.
Tulla -

Agreed ... and the senior that transferred out senior year is the only one I know of for that. The 'Easton' player is an example to which you refer of a player not fitting academically after freshman year. It's worth noting the same player has a full ride to BC as a QB/ATH. That's the point, not a fit for all. But for most, beyond football, the school has a unique presence. Hard to explain but true and you see that in most interviews. If it was all about sports, then what about the others. Give Infante credit and when I said he travels, I wanted to clarify that I didn't mean locally, he travels extensively throughout the nation teaching technique and promoting the game. 15 guys are on USA football board. He's one of two high school coaches along with Bill Polian and Jeff Saturday among others. He is a true ambassador of the game.

Reactions: lilromeo
I'm happy that Ortega came out and made a statement in an article about the PIAA. He will catch some flak for it from people living in their fantasy world. I'm willing to bet the majority of public school coaches agree with him.

No matter the argument the private schools have a unfair advantage the can
we will say draw instead of recruit from such a large geographical area .Where a suburban public school has district boundaries .Before any one starts saying transfers if anyone on this site had a kid playing for Tennant for example but had the ability to send there kid to NP or NESH who would not do that.

Its also that way at the youth and Cyo leauges. I work near where one of the the youth leagues region final was and there was 4 philly teams with no school district affiliation vs suburban school district teams .

Nobody questions the coaching ability Unfortunately it a uneven playing field .

Reactions: green_beans
I'm happy that Ortega came out and made a statement in an article about the PIAA. He will catch some flak for it from people living in their fantasy world. I'm willing to bet the majority of public school coaches agree with him.

He is entitled to get his message out and to state what he feels, but he would have been better served waiting to after the game, IMO. Even at the risk at sounding like sour grapes. If his players can read between the lines he's come off as already defeated. Even beyond all the coach-speak of we plan to compete and think we can win, etc. In 2012 they were in the same position and beat LaSalle. Why not tonight? Go out and out-execute the Hawks, who are really good, but not some invincible evil empire that can't be beat. I repeat if I walked that SJP defense into a classroom right now in street clothes you probably wouldn't be going, wooo that has to be the best defense in the state from a physicality standpoint.

Every battle is won before it is fought, not sure those comments and mindset set the needed tone prior to playing Prep for Coatesville players. Maybe it does.

I thought the ville had a shot this game. They have some speed other teams just didn't have. They play hard and fast. This is an odd conversation to have before the game.

I thought the ville had a shot this game. They have some speed other teams just didn't have. They play hard and fast. This is an odd conversation to have before the game.
I agree re Coatesville having a shot in this one. I also agree with other posts, however, that the scale of mistakes/missteps must tip in their favor for them to win.

I agree re Coatesville having a shot in this one. I also agree with other posts, however, that the scale of mistakes/missteps must tip in their favor for them to win.

I agree that Cville has a punchers chance here. This looks to me to be a classic overreaction to the perception of the Garnet Valley game. People equate them not blowing out Garnet Valley last week with them having no chance against Prep. That's dangerous thinking. First off Garnet Valley is way better then people think and are really tough to play against especially for unfamiliar opponents. They are not as dynamic and explosive on the outside as most top 6a teams but their Oline and RBs are outstanding. Not good, outstanding.

Garnet Valley rep dinged because they lost to 5a Springfield. That's a matchup and familiar game. Springfield not baffled by GV offense and they have nice mix to play against that system this year. One of those weird things in HS football. CV will be well served defensively by playing GV oline last week in preparation for this one. This may allow them to cobble together some stops. Think Prep offense vs CV defense is closer than most think. CV can jam box and are one of very few teams who can roll the dice with their athletes outside in one on ones with Prep receivers.

The key match up is other side. Prep D has been outstanding against very good competition. They are one of few teams state wide who have actually played teams that might replicate CV speed. However until last week CV offense was really humming. Amazing production. This will be the key. How much better is Prep defense from what CV has seen thus far. My general feeling was defense in District 1 was down this year. Saw many statistically good defenses get gashed in certain matchups. Seemed like offenses were way ahead. It may be the Prep defense is just that good and overwhelms CV. We will know by 2nd qtr. If CV is moving the ball early, buckle up it will be a good one. My initial inkling is this is better game then we might think. One man's opinion.

No chance for ville, they will get down, bicker amonst themselves, get
unsportsmanlike penalities when frustrated and pack it in late. This is perfect matchup for prep, prep 42-14.

Any chance this game is being streamed elsewhere besides the NFHS Stream?

Cheers,

Busch

That's the same network on raiders link. I understand the games can be viewed for free after 72 hours.

Ortega should be focusing in on the game instead of politics. Stop your belly aching and prepare your team as best as possible. These horse manure comments are certainly not going to help your players. Grow up as there is a time and place for these comments. This comes from a long time Red Raiders fan who has been iattending Coatesville games much longer than you’ve been around and ive seen such players such as Walt Downing, Sherman Meyers, Mark McWiliiams, and the other greats throughout the 80s and 90s who were playoff bound almost every year. Focus on winning the game and keeping the winningest team (697 wins) in District 1 going.

No matter the argument the private schools have a unfair advantage the can
we will say draw instead of recruit from such a large geographical area .Where a suburban public school has district boundaries .Before any one starts saying transfers if anyone on this site had a kid playing for Tennant for example but had the ability to send there kid to NP or NESH who would not do that.

Its also that way at the youth and Cyo leauges. I work near where one of the the youth leagues region final was and there was 4 philly teams with no school district affiliation vs suburban school district teams .

Nobody questions the coaching ability Unfortunately it a uneven playing field .
You’ve got me believing! How does North Penn get a new QB every year!

Public schools are absolutely bringing kids from outside the district and have been for years. My man Branden Myers played for the Downingtown West and it was well know by the administration that he lived in Coatesville area (Valley Twp) at the time and isn’t it ironic that Notth Penn gets the CB West then a Norristown QB. The football recruiting/transfer is all the same argument. Teams are supplementing players from other schools to help w football. Prep guys.. read the article that Ortega with help from our Pulitzer Prize winning local Chester County newspaper is egging him on. I’d take the Prep for education and football any day over my Ville.
Wrong again on a few details from a few different posts, so I'll try to help you out....Heckenberger is not a redneck from Unionville as you protrayed him. He played for Pennridge, and his connection to Unionville is that he coached their freshman team for a bit. He's a great guy, you should get to know him. Secondly, the Young's were not recruited to play for DYW. Their older brother Jordan registered as a 5 year old in 2003, the same year that Cville Kid Raiders came into Bert Bell and there were no boundaries. Therefore, the family was grandfathered in by Bert Bell bylaw. And I'm fairly sure that they don't regret playing for DYW. Lastly, since you're so close to Brandon Myers, you will surely remember that he missed a game his senior year when Dtown administration was alerted about his possible residence being outside the school district. Once the proper paperwork was produced, his eligibility to return to the West football team was restored the next week. And since you know Branden, let's be honest. He was not the type of player as a freshman, that any high school coach would recruit. He did turn out to be a very nice HS player, and I'm glad to see that he's continuing his career at IUP.
Details man, details.

Reactions: Fletchster1
Cover brings the delco heat! Not gonna let the Ville off the mat. I think this game is gonna be closer than people think.

No chance for ville, they will get down, bicker amonst themselves, get
unsportsmanlike penalities when frustrated and pack it in late. This is perfect matchup for prep, prep 42-14.

Lol, are you questioning the character of this team? This is the most Prep school snootiness I've read in awhile lol.

Nate Heck - Read the title of your article. It’s a DYW reunion for Coatesville and St Joes Prep not what you stated. Think about it pal... the Young bros wanted to play for a more stable DYW when in damn well fact they should have been playing for the kid raiders. In my opinion DYW stole/recruited as these kids were playing out of boundary. It just shows your mind set on Catholic schools.

Are you comparing pee-wee football to High School? Lol. There is a reason Private schools have dominated the PIAA the last decade. It's not just a coincidence that students who go also happen to be top athletes. These schools discriminate who they recruit and then try to pretend that it's just a necessity for survival. If the public schools recruited and accepted as many transfers as these geniuses in here imply, they'd be winning state titles. Prep, Wood, PCC, Erie Prep, enjoy your titles but they are not worth the same. Sorry to say it.

Are you comparing pee-wee football to High School? Lol. There is a reason Private schools have dominated the PIAA the last decade. It's not just a coincidence that students who go also happen to be top athletes. These schools discriminate who they recruit and then try to pretend that it's just a necessity for survival. If the public schools recruited and accepted as many transfers as these geniuses in here imply, they'd be winning state titles. Prep, Wood, PCC, Erie Prep, enjoy your titles but they are not worth the same. Sorry to say it.
Discriminate who they recruit? What does that even mean? Are private schools supposed to close their eyes and do eenie meenie miney mo?

Of course they differentiate between students they want and students they don't. That's a private school.

Discriminate who they recruit? What does that even mean? Are private schools supposed to close their eyes and do eenie meenie miney mo?

Of course they differentiate between students they want and students they don't. That's a private school.

You mean to say athletes they want and don't want.

Yea, exactly. Original point stands. You think they should pick names out of a hat. You're bitter. This happens around this time every year. This too shall pass. You'll move on.

Well yeah, I'm not losing sleep over it. I just can't believe how many people defend what the private schools are doing and how they brag about state titles they're winning. Blows my mind. LOL

Well yeah, I'm not losing sleep over it. I just can't believe how many people defend what the private schools are doing and how they brag about state titles they're winning. Blows my mind. LOL
Defend? It's not anything that needs to be defended. It's what private schools do. They didn't start doing it when they joined the PIAA. It's how private schools operate. They don't just receive students. They have to get an applicant pool to fill the student body and the athletic programs, that takes recruiting.

Funny, 10-12 years ago before the PCL joined, the chorus from Neshaminy and North Penn and the other giants was that no amount of recruiting could overcome the pool of 5000 students those schools have to choose from. Seems to be a different tune now.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1
Man, people coming out of the wood work this year. So fuuny how narratives change from the beginning of the season to the end. In the beginning it is always about this team or that team is loaded etc. this is their year and Prep will have a hard time replacing swift and simmons is hurt and Wood is down, they don't have a RB....Now when they are successful again, it is not fair, they recruit, blah blah blah....30 years ago I played for a very small 4A school, our rival was a very large 4A school twice as many boys and better athletes. We knew 30 years ago it was gonna be a dog fight and things not really "fair" from an enrollment standpoint. But we never whined about it as players that is a sign of weakness, our coach would never have spoken that it was unfair, we just went out and competed and sometimes we actually won. I would rather be the underdog any day.

Reactions: ChesmontLeague1

The problem is that if these schools want to participate in PIAA, they are not supposed to recruit for athletic purposes. The point Ortega was making wasn't that private schools are cheating, it's that PIAA is wrong because they don't enforce the rule. And he is correct. It's on page 20-21 of the PIAA Constitution and By-Laws if you're bored.

Defend? It's not anything that needs to be defended. It's what private schools do. They didn't start doing it when they joined the PIAA. It's how private schools operate. They don't just receive students. They have to get an applicant pool to fill the student body and the athletic programs, that takes recruiting.

Funny, 10-12 years ago before the PCL joined, the chorus from Neshaminy and North Penn and the other giants was that no amount of recruiting could overcome the pool of 5000 students those schools have to choose from. Seems to be a different tune now.

Of course they have to recruit. That's fine. Recruit away. It's just silly that the PIAA has teams that recruit from all over the tri-state area against teams that and bounded by their school district limits. Wow, real impressive state championships there lol.

The problem is that if these schools want to participate in PIAA, they are not supposed to recruit for athletic purposes. The point Ortega was making wasn't that private schools are cheating, it's that PIAA is wrong because they don't enforce the rule. And he is correct. It's on page 20-21 of the PIAA Constitution and By-Laws if you're bored.
Wasn't talking about Ortega, it was in response to someone saying the prep discriminates in their recruiting. which is literally what recruiting is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT