ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmage week! Thursday check-in

i will be at Pine Richland v Mt Lebanon

22 5A state champ v 21 6A state champ

Out of town so I’ll have to miss the scrimmage, looking forward to your recap.
West was well prepared and moved the ball almost at will on the ground,even without a big back. As mentioned ,their starting QB Cooper is out. They had about 50 players dressed. QB did a decent job. West is not very big ,but should do well this year. Im not sure they can stay with garnet Valley without Cooper. They have a couple of speedsters. Now ,this is certainly not a knock on coachArmstrong since he has taken over a mess at Wood,but they were very unprepared . At least 3 balls were centered over the QB head and another 5-6 were almost out of reach. They could not stop anything West did and their high point is their RB who looks to be around 200 lbs and runs with authority. They have some good size kids up front ,but got moved against the smaller West line.They could really use a highly qualified QB coach as their qb needs some basic work to be effective. Wood did have about the same amount of players dressed as West. I dont think they will do much better than last year unless something drastically changes which I hope it does.

West was well prepared and moved the ball almost at will on the ground,even without a big back. As mentioned ,their starting QB Cooper is out. They had about 50 players dressed. QB did a decent job. West is not very big ,but should do well this year. Im not sure they can stay with garnet Valley without Cooper. They have a couple of speedsters. Now ,this is certainly not a knock on coachArmstrong since he has taken over a mess at Wood,but they were very unprepared . At least 3 balls were centered over the QB head and another 5-6 were almost out of reach. They could not stop anything West did and their high point is their RB who looks to be around 200 lbs and runs with authority. They have some good size kids up front ,but got moved against the smaller West line.They could really use a highly qualified QB coach as their qb needs some basic work to be effective. Wood did have about the same amount of players dressed as West. I dont think they will do much better than last year unless something drastically changes which I hope it does.
Talked to a West dad who gave me virtually the same recap. Also said that McFadden didn't play either, so their biggest offensive weapon (and starting corner) was on the sideline. Sounds like he might have just been a healthy scratch, hopefully. He was happy with how Taylor played at QB, hopefully he grows into the position. Taylor also didn't play at all on D, and he's easily one of their top 2-3 defenders.

Reactions: lilromeo
Hey Rover,
I've watched CB South play regular season games a few times, and they are usually a big team (size wise), and this years version is the same. I went to this scrimmage two years ago, and Easton matched up size wise with them along the front. This year, not so much. Easton is very small this year.

I sat on the Easton side and talked to a few of the fans. They told me the quarterback competition is still not decided. Easton alternated both quarterbacks during the scrimmage. The Ordway kid has a nice arm and throws a nice ball, but he is very undersized, so that battle should be an interesting one.

Both teams ran 20 plays on offensive before the real game part of the scrimmage. CB South scored twice during the first session. One on a pick 6 and the other on a running play. Easton is still having issues with the snap. I counted at least three snaps over the quarterbacks head. They went live and CB South scored on a long drive, that's when I left. Both teams scored on my walk to my car. My impression of the Rovers is that they are small, played a little more physical than years past, are probably better coached, especially along the offensive line, and they are fast where they need to be fast. They ran the ball the well against South. CB South ran the ball at will against the Rover defense. The passing game from both teams was off. CB South missed a lot of receivers who had no problem getting past the Easton defensive backs. I was told Easton is fairly young this year, so I don't expect much from them. They'll beat the teams they should beat, and will struggle against the better teams in the Valley. The better teams in the league would have no problems beating CB South. On a positive note, the coaching staff is much more involved with the team than in years past. Flemming will do a nice job with the offensive line. He was very active coaching the kids up the entire game.

Hey Rover,
I've watched CB South play regular season games a few times, and they are usually a big team (size wise), and this years version is the same. I went to this scrimmage two years ago, and Easton matched up size wise with them along the front. This year, not so much. Easton is very small this year.

I sat on the Easton side and talked to a few of the fans. They told me the quarterback competition is still not decided. Easton alternated both quarterbacks during the scrimmage. The Ordway kid has a nice arm and throws a nice ball, but he is very undersized, so that battle should be an interesting one.

Both teams ran 20 plays on offensive before the real game part of the scrimmage. CB South scored twice during the first session. One on a pick 6 and the other on a running play. Easton is still having issues with the snap. I counted at least three snaps over the quarterbacks head. They went live and CB South scored on a long drive, that's when I left. Both teams scored on my walk to my car. My impression of the Rovers is that they are small, played a little more physical than years past, are probably better coached, especially along the offensive line, and they are fast where they need to be fast. They ran the ball the well against South. CB South ran the ball at will against the Rover defense. The passing game from both teams was off. CB South missed a lot of receivers who had no problem getting past the Easton defensive backs. I was told Easton is fairly young this year, so I don't expect much from them. They'll beat the teams they should beat, and will struggle against the better teams in the Valley. The better teams in the league would have no problems beating CB South. On a positive note, the coaching staff is much more involved with the team than in years past. Flemming will do a nice job with the offensive line. He was very active coaching the kids up the entire game.
Thanks! I couldn’t make the game, but that kind of lined up with expectations. Not much size at all - I think part of that is Senneca is pretty set on playing a lot of sophomores, and some freshmen might sneak onto the field. This is definitely a “year zero” situation where all of the wins this year will be about establishing consistency, philosophy, and getting competitive - if they go 5-5 it’ll be an achievement though with the depth of the league this year - ESN, Stroudsburg, Bethlehem Catholic, Liberty, and one upset (Whitehall?) I think are the wins on the schedule.

I think they want to play fast/no-huddle and try to get plays off to overcome a size disadvantage with conditioning and tempo (which I know is Senneca’s preference anyway). I think long term, that’s what you’re going to see out of the program that may be the identity they hang their hat on and the advantage they can have on teams.

Good to hear they could at least run it a little - I think Will Day (#5) the running back is a nice player that could put himself on some college radars with a good year.

Ordway’s old man was the QB on the 1993 team that lost to CB West 6-3 in the Eastern Finals. He was on staff for years, I kind of can’t believe Cole is that old. I didn’t think Martinez did a lot to solidify the job as a sophomore, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they go with the younger kid. I also saw they have a freshman QB on the roster, but they might just be with the expectation that he’s the JV guy and emergency varsity option.

I saw a little of the JV scrimmage. I'm guessing the quarterback is the freshmen you're talking about. He was impressive, also a pretty big kid. He was much bigger than both varsity qb"s

I saw a little of the JV scrimmage. I'm guessing the quarterback is the freshmen you're talking about. He was impressive, also a pretty big kid. He was much bigger than both varsity qb"s
I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the quarterback on the next good Easton team. I think you’ll see Cosover (#8) at linebacker this year (he’ll also be their varsity 171 assuming he can get down to weight and could threaten to be a state qualifier as a freshman) as a freshman who will definitely get snaps. Plus I think you see at least four sophomores start on defense and two on the offensive line. I actually think you may only see two seniors who are major contributors - more will probably play, but two they’ll lean on. It’s definitely a get ready for ‘24 and ‘25 kind of year. But if their staff can develop kids, that might pay dividends and is totally the right call and one I can’t really remember Easton making since 2008 (where they went 6-5, but then went to back-to-back PIAA playoffs with all the kids that played as underclassmen).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT