ADVERTISEMENT

Saint Joe Prep/ Roman game Saturday

Good point. My opinion is that both can be true. I coach youth football in the city and there is a buzz around Roman Catholic with all the kids and parents. I’m told next years schedule will test the willingness of the school to take the next step.
Right I use to ask why I never seen coaches at these CYO , pop Warner, and keystone games back in 17-18. Now you see them at these events with potential players ,speaking to children and parents. That alone allows you to sell the school and program to families who the lasalle and sjp are also recruiting. May not get them all but at least you have a spot at the table.

Right I use to ask why I never seen coaches at these CYO , pop Warner, and keystone games back in 17-18. Now you see them at these events with potential players ,speaking to children and parents. That alone allows you to sell the school and program to families who the lasalle and sjp are also recruiting. May not get them all but at least you have a spot at the table.
How much rides on the very likely Roman-IMHOTEP game this month? I imagine a Roman win and then a run to the state championship game would be huge for the program. But a loss ...?

How much rides on the very likely Roman-IMHOTEP game this month? I imagine a Roman win and then a run to the state championship game would be huge for the program. But a loss ...?
Huge implications. A win could really start to shift things in the local area. If we want to change the perception we need to win this game. I think with the proposed shifting of the pcl ,right now is the best time to get over that hump. Most families with children that are serious about football in the city they have 2 choices really ( or think that way ). That’s sjp ,and if you can’t afford tuition, imhotep is the next option. Not saying it’s everyone , but you get that feeling when speaking with families. I do think we match up better this year than last.

Reactions: Bighead75
A win for Roman and obviously it’s a shot at a state title. A loss while a disappointment doesn’t hurt them program wise in my book. As we have said repeatedly they are making progress every year in regards to being relevant. Reality is Roman is set up to be in this position every year. When is the last time someone could say that? And when you look at it closely they have only been good the last two years. It’s not like a loss would indicate yearly disappointment.

A win for Roman and obviously it’s a shot at a state title. A loss while a disappointment doesn’t hurt them program wise in my book. As we have said repeatedly they are making progress every year in regards to being relevant. Reality is Roman is set up to whene you look at it closely they have only been good the last two years. It’s not like a loss would indicate yearly disappointment.
I know enough not to place much importance on freshman (or JV) results, but the results of this year's SJP-Roman games (35-0 and 27-6) hints that SJP may still be way ahead. Anything to this? Good for everyone (except maybe IMHOTEP) if Roman continues to get better.

I know enough not to place much importance on freshman (or JV) results, but the results of this year's SJP-Roman games (35-0 and 27-6) hints that SJP may still be way ahead. Anything to this? Good for everyone (except maybe IMHOTEP) if Roman continues to get better.
I wouldn’t place any importance on that. I was nearly a freshman coach at Roman so I have some insight. Roman’s varsity is mostly sophomore and juniors. I think the kids who play freshman and JV at Roman are the kids who won’t be ready until junior year. Look at it like this, if Roman leaves all their freshman on the freshman team, they beat Prep’s freshman imo, but a lot of them are on JV and Varsity. If Roman doesn’t have a freshman team like Imhotep and has one big JV, probably a much closer game with Imhotep JV. I think it all depends on what you’re trying to get out of your younger levels. Reps and development or wins. Not saying you can’t have both but doesn’t appear to be the model at Roman. It’s also simple math, Prep and Imhotep get way more kids than Roman does.

What do you think the Prep is doing with their best freshman?
Obviously everything they are doing is working. I’m saying they have more high caliber kids across their program. It’s not really ever a numbers game. Other schools who do not have that just operate differently.

Obviously everything they are doing is working. I’m saying they have more high caliber kids across their program. It’s not really ever a numbers game. Other schools who do not have that just operate differently.
was just in reference to you saying if roman had their freshmen down they would win. maxpreps says roman has about 5-6 freshman on varsity. prep about the same.

was just in reference to you saying if roman had their freshmen down they would win. maxpreps says roman has about 5-6 freshman on varsity. prep about the same.
Ok, I will rephrase. If all things stayed the same on Preps side. Current freshman playing freshman not the ones they have up, and Roman put their called up freshman on the freshman team, they would win. Roman cannot bring up freshman to varsity and JV and still be good at the freshman level or really at the JV level either, Prep can. All of this to say I do not think losses in those games are any indicator for future varsity games.

Ok, I will rephrase. If all things stayed the same on Preps side. Current freshman playing freshman not the ones they have up, and Roman put their called up freshman on the freshman team, they would win. Roman cannot bring up freshman to varsity and JV and still be good at the freshman level or really at the JV level either, Prep can. All of this to say I do not think losses in those games are any indicator for future varsity games.
I get your general point but it's a little hard to imagine that Roman's playing the 5 or 6 freshmen would turn a 35-0 loss into a win. What I'm wondering is how likely Roman is to close the gap between them and SJP significantly in the next few years. I've watched most of the Roman-LaSalle and Roman-SJP games on YouTube and still not quite sure where Roman stands. The most impressive result this year, to my eye, was their very close away loss to DeMatha

Reactions: Bighead75
I get your general point but it's a little hard to imagine that Roman's playing the 5 or 6 freshmen would turn a 35-0 loss into a win. What I'm wondering is how likely Roman is to close the gap between them and SJP significantly in the next few years. I've watched most of the Roman-LaSalle and Roman-SJP games on YouTube and still not quite sure where Roman stands. The most impressive result this year, to my eye, was their very close away loss to DeMatha
Dematha isn’t there Dematha of old. They were very sloppy. Take nothing from us but I wasn’t impressed with Dematha. I think sjp will not be the measuring stick for Roman going forward. Although winning a red title would be great but to win a state title you don’t need to go through sjp like lasalle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT