ADVERTISEMENT

Pitt CC has 4 players w/ PSU offers

WpialHSFB

Nov 30, 2010
A lot of talent at PCC this year. It will be interesting to see if they use it...

PSU offers:
Damar Hamlin DB
Rashad Wheeler DT
David Adams LB
CJ Thorpe OL

Plus at least 3 others players with FBS offers. Vikings certainly have the talent this year....

PCC always seems to have an abundance of D-1 talent on their roster. How are their skill position players this year? I have been hearing a lot about Woodland Hills with Miles Sanders also a Penn Stater. They have another good running back as well as a big offensive line. Can PCC beat these guys ?

Reactions: pcc64
PCC should have plenty of offensive skill. The question this year is will they find a away to use it. On offense, they will have Hamlin (WR), Jones (RB/WR), George (Starting RB last year who broke leg), plus a few other very solid athletes. They need to find a QB though - and IMO their coaching staff needs to trust throwing the ball a little. Last year, in the last two games they essentially junked their offense and ran zone read with Petrician at QB. That worked vs. Penn Trafford, but did nothing against PR.

Anyway, if they commit to a QB and that kids is just average, they will be a force in the WPIAL. Other good teams out hear are Woody with Sander and Shaw at RB, and Jones at QB with several big lineman. They will be able to compete. The other two teams are Penn Trafford who returns a ton from a WPIAL semi-final team, and NA, who I've heard will be huge up front - but no dynamic playmakers like in their championship years. If I was handicapping, I would put PCC vs. Woody in the WPIAL Championship game, with PCC winning and going to states. If they would match up with a ground and pound team, they could win. If they match up with a team like SJP that can score, they may have some trouble put enough points in the board.

new2pa , nice summary of AAAA D-7 best teams. I would like to see Woodland Hills with Sanders vs.Saint Joe Prep with D Andre Swift in the finals. That would be great to watch.

Woody is a little bit interesting. Their QB has an offer from WVU, but frankly, just hasn't shown in games to be that good. If he is a legitimate D1 QB and they allow him to throw, they will have the most potent offense in the WPIAL this year. It will be a fun matchup versus PCC since PCC will have at least 3 (Hamlin, Garner, Jones) and maybe 4 D1-offered DB's. PCC and Woody aren't in the same conference tho, and they don't play each other in a crossover, so that matchup will have to wait until the WPIAL finals or semifinals.

On a slightly separate note, was thinking today about PCC's conference - 4 of the past 5 western finalists have come from it - NA, missed, NA, PCC, PR. Seem's like it could hold again this year if NA or PCC can get past woody. Although, I can easily see Wilson as a credible threat to any WPIAL chaampion - particularly on the defensive side of the ball.

Meh Woody High is a very undisciplined football team. Talented but not very well coached to be honest.

lilromeo: Woodland Hills has not been able to stay on the field with Central Catholic the last 4 games (2014,13,11,10), losing 28-0 last year then 27-7, 31-13, 24-7 for a total score of 110 to 20. Not in their league. But like Gateway over the years, a lot of talent.

Here are quick hits on Quad North powers, adding to Wpial and new2pa info.

Quad North:
Pine Richland 15-1; Big losses all the way around with (LT) Matt Hampton (6-4, 225, sr) the only return on offense. Similar wipe-out on D with Hampton going both ways (DE) and (MLB) Zach Le Mirande (6-0, 220, sr) back. Punter too, Matt Reder (5-11, 195, sr). Others back with lots of time but core is gone. Experienced soph QB Max Downey (6-2, 175, jr) from last year moving up. DiNucci (69%, 3886py, 42/7 Td-pik) a monster loss with running back Slomka's 1480ry and others.

Central Catholic 11-2;
Given last year's results-domination of all except Pine Richland, winning 383 to 79 (35-7 avg, 11-0), they should walk to the Wpial final. Right, that laughter is cousins from the area but with any kind of quarterbacking (Frerotte?) in an offense that doesn't demand much, disdaining the forward pass to their detriment, they should roll….until they meet a PR type team like Penn Trafford (?)....or maybe a power option like McKeesport?

North Allegheny 8-3;
Lost a lot but a core returns across the board. Riley Truman at QB? Didn't lose a major talent at the spot so being NA, they should be ok going 60-9 the last 5 years with gold hardware in 10 and 12. Quite a program. .

North Hills 6-4;
Good stuff but stuck in the mud the last 4 going 4-5, 6-4, 5-5 and 6-4 last year without a premier back. Never seem to have that do they? This is not typical football for a program with a rich and deep tradition. Could have their moments and did start off 4-0 til hitting the wall that was Pine Richland 32-15, Central Catholic 20-10, even bitter rival North Allegheny 31-7 before bowing to Woody in the Wpial's 1st round 41-2. Played a lot of underclassmen last year.

Here's some additional info on PR - on offense they return both Tackles (Hampson and Willard) and WR Battaglia. On defense, its Battaglia who was a CB, Hampson (DE) and Lemirande (MLB). All other skill players of note are gone as are 2 3-year starters on the line. It looks like 6'5" Sophomore to be Phil Jurcovek has the inside track to be the starter at QB. People out here are comparing him to Terrelle Pryor. We will see. No RB of Slomka's caliber. Both Hampson (as a DE) and Willard (as a OT) have MAC offers in hand according to twitter.

I did find it interesting regarding your comment about Penn Trafford - I do believe they could be the PR of 2015. Ton of kids back and have the skill to spread out PCC. If you can't do that, you will lose.

This post was edited on 4/9 10:23 AM by new2pa

Phil Jurcovek: Freshman Highlights

Kid has a cannon...

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3785137/highlights/195485386/v2

Re: Phil Jurcovek: Freshman Highlights

That kid is a stud. Has D-1 written all over him.

Re: Phil Jurcovek: Freshman Highlights

That will get it done. I know it is probably JV but the arm is only gonna get better. Good luck to him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT