ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2018

Any info on hempfield this year? Barely beat some school called greensburg Salem last week. Seems like they lost a good QB and a bunch of other key senior starters, I think PR will roll by 3-4TD’s.

Some interesting games tonight with NA @ norwin and Seneca valley @ PCC. Norwin looks like they have a legit QB with playmakers all over, NA has a big o line with two D1 kids on it. Big opportunity for norwin to prove they can play with the powerhouses. I think it’ll come down to if norwin can stop NA’s running game.

I think Seneca is a interesting team with potential. Massive O line, good lb’s, decent skill. Thought they underachieved last year. Could see them making this a game. Pcc offense imo didn’t look good at all against ecp, they were one dimensional and predictable. They have some playmakers on the outside but they were running from the I most of the game. Think if they don’t open it up Seneca can make it a game.

Rams had a nice rebound game. Defense looked great. Offense looked significantly better than last week. It was at the mercy rule with 10 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter. Definitely run the ball more than they did last year.

Talking to a few people at the game, geyer and hetzel were both hurt during the IMG game, not season ending but both will be out for some time.

From what I saw, between Meckler, Cerminara and the other kid who played Friday, they seem to have several kids that can play at RB. Not sure what they have in terms of backups for Hetzel.

Both Coach K and the QB coach were suspended for a month during the spring while they conducted some kind of investigation. They kept it very quiet, but they had to cancel their state championship ring ceremony because PR admin told Coach K he was not allowed to attend. Coach that was fired was their operations guy and JV coach. Seems he took the fall for a number of things their admin was upset about within the program. Again, the rumors are crazy. When my son played, he certainly seemed to be Coach K’s right hand guy, so should be interesting to see how that works out. His son is also a senior on the team this year, so that adds another dimension to it as well.

Any idea why they were suspended? Seems like a big deal if it was a month.

Understood, but what for? Recruiting? WPIAL rules violation? A month is long time, had to be something bad. I am surprised he still has a job.

Read back in here to Aprilish, new2pa summarized it pretty well. There was crazy rumors going around behind the scenes. Technically there was “recruiting” going on.

The defense for PR was dominating last night, moon couldn't get anything going. I think the LB corps for PR is better this year, king and cerminara both stronger and faster and miller is an upgrade at the other position. They haven't played a notable opponent in conference yet, but you can clearly tell this is a very good group. Hetzel was back and playing, and geyer was dressed but didn't see the field much until the second half.

Offensively the sophomore schwieger had most of the reps at RB. Meckler didn't see the field much on offense. Pretty sure They were rolling with all sophomore recievers at one point. Thought they struggled here and they didn't look too efficent. Spencer missed on some throws, and I think he's having trouble seeing over the line. Good protection on plays but can't connect or find someone. They need a somewhat efficient passing game to compliment the run game especially when they play good teams. How about that PCC offense though? Two first downs all game against NA. NA is very good all around with depth but don't think PR and NA are too far apart.

Reactions: new2pa
The defense for PR was dominating last night, moon couldn't get anything going. I think the LB corps for PR is better this year, king and cerminara both stronger and faster and miller is an upgrade at the other position. They haven't played a notable opponent in conference yet, but you can clearly tell this is a very good group. Hetzel was back and playing, and geyer was dressed but didn't see the field much until the second half.

Offensively the sophomore schwieger had most of the reps at RB. Meckler didn't see the field much on offense. Pretty sure They were rolling with all sophomore recievers at one point. Thought they struggled here and they didn't look too efficent. Spencer missed on some throws, and I think he's having trouble seeing over the line. Good protection on plays but can't connect or find someone. They need a somewhat efficient passing game to compliment the run game especially when they play good teams. How about that PCC offense though? Two first downs all game against NA. NA is very good all around with depth but don't think PR and NA are too far apart.

Stand corrected, #10 johnson didn't play much last night even though he was dressed. Mills, jochem ,and miller all were in quite a bit. This sopomore group of skill kids is deeper than the senior class last year imo.

I went over to Wexford for the NA-PCC game on Friday. It was an eye opener. PCC offense looks the same as it has been in years past. They were having trouble running the ball and it seems like the only pass game of substance that they have is to throw it up to #5 on deep balls. They did bring in another QB near the end that did better, but that was all dink and dump. On defense, they seem like they have big guys, but NA just pounded the ball. I think I counted 7 or 8 plays in a row where NA ran right at #50 and #4. In the second half, at least before I left, the swapped the NG and #50 to try and stop that running, which sort of worked. PCC LB's look active. Thick kids and #2 can really run, but he played but S and LB.

NA offensively is nearly as challenged throwing the ball, but do have a nice runnning game. Starting QB took a huge hit and left the game and #19 came in. He is definitely more of a runner. On defense, their front 7 looks OK, but their back 4 look very athletic. Porter is LONG. I did see one of their two-way kids - #51 - on crutches after the game. Same with #7 for PCC.

Anyway, it was an interesting game. Not sure what to think about PCC though. They didn't really look that sharp. Played hard, but just couldn't muster any offense.

Reactions: JACKY6996
The P-R Butler game was a snoozer. Was 42-0 in Q2 and all starters were pulled. Could really tell much. P-R continues to look solid and offense is more run-oriented than I've ever seen but they do it well - against a very bad butler Team. P-R's schedule appears to get tougher now with Norwin, PCC, CMAC, Lebo, SV and NA. However, of those, only 2 may be a game if defense continues to play as well as they have and offense stays out of trouble.

The P-R Butler game was a snoozer. Was 42-0 in Q2 and all starters were pulled. Could really tell much. P-R continues to look solid and offense is more run-oriented than I've ever seen but they do it well - against a very bad butler Team. P-R's schedule appears to get tougher now with Norwin, PCC, CMAC, Lebo, SV and NA. However, of those, only 2 may be a game if defense continues to play as well as they have and offense stays out of trouble.

Honestly I don’t think the PR norwin game will be that close. Norwin lost to some random 5A team last week, and they don’t look great upfront. NA dominated them up front on both sides of the ball. I think PR does the same or worse to them. They do have some nice skill players and a nice QB so getting pressure will definitely be key to help the new secondary.

It looks like they’re holding off on meckler getting involved offensively until the bigger games to perserve him some. If that boy gets a crack of space it’s a touchdown, he’s not as strong as Crawford was but he has even better speed. The physicality the front 7 creates is crazy, rb’s are afraid to run at cerminara or king because of the smacking they lay down.

Finally, a good game on the schedule!

A little hard to tell but P-R seems to be improving each week. The defensive front has been lights out. I saw on twitter that Norwin had negative yards in the first half for the game on Friday. It seems like its been that way every game. The offense can't get anything going. The secondary has yet to be tested. Not sure when that will be since there aren't a lot of teams around here that can throw the ball at all. Maybe Mt. Lebanon will try in a couple weeks.

Offensively, they seem to be developing each week. The OL is very very good and the 2 new kids up front look like they are getting better each week. Nastier for sure. P-R has be pretty consistent at 10 of the 11 positions on O the past few weeks but look like they are rotating 2 or 3 kids at the one WR position trying to find something. The QB is the real deal. I saw a couple passes on Friday that reminded me of Jurkovec. A laser that set up the last TD and a 50+ yard bomb that was just missed. Also a very effective runner.

If the QB keeps improving and they avoid injuries to the front 7 and OL, they are going to be a tough out all the way through.

Everything I've heard and seen about PCC is that there defense is very good but offensively they can't score. They have a good WR and just got a RB that transferred from a City School and has never played football before? That's hard to believe. Can't wait for Friday. If weather is bad, they will be on TV this week too. WPNT and PRTV (school streaming). May stay home and watch if chilly and wet!

Finally, a good game on the schedule!

A little hard to tell but P-R seems to be improving each week. The defensive front has been lights out. I saw on twitter that Norwin had negative yards in the first half for the game on Friday. It seems like its been that way every game. The offense can't get anything going. The secondary has yet to be tested. Not sure when that will be since there aren't a lot of teams around here that can throw the ball at all. Maybe Mt. Lebanon will try in a couple weeks.

Offensively, they seem to be developing each week. The OL is very very good and the 2 new kids up front look like they are getting better each week. Nastier for sure. P-R has be pretty consistent at 10 of the 11 positions on O the past few weeks but look like they are rotating 2 or 3 kids at the one WR position trying to find something. The QB is the real deal. I saw a couple passes on Friday that reminded me of Jurkovec. A laser that set up the last TD and a 50+ yard bomb that was just missed. Also a very effective runner.

If the QB keeps improving and they avoid injuries to the front 7 and OL, they are going to be a tough out all the way through.

Everything I've heard and seen about PCC is that there defense is very good but offensively they can't score. They have a good WR and just got a RB that transferred from a City School and has never played football before? That's hard to believe. Can't wait for Friday. If weather is bad, they will be on TV this week too. WPNT and PRTV (school streaming). May stay home and watch if chilly and wet!

I can see PCC defense stopping PR some early on, but if their offense can't get anything going the defense will be on the field too much and soften up. With how PR has been on defense I don't see PCC getting much at all on offense.

Also some noteworthy news, I was told today that geyer kid is no longer on the team. Not sure what happened

Also some noteworthy news, I was told today that geyer kid is no longer on the team. Not sure what happened

I don't recall him playing much on offense or defense. Meckler and the sophomore getting the playing time. Another reason? Maybe he was a 2nd half kid. I've left at halftime of every game I've been to since IMG.

I don't recall him playing much on offense or defense. Meckler and the sophomore getting the playing time. Another reason? Maybe he was a 2nd half kid. I've left at halftime of every game I've been to since IMG.

What my source told me is that he was one of the lead backs all off season and then once the season started the soph was surpassing him for play time. I’m gonna say probably had to do w playtime

Good win last night by the Rams. Got invited to the P-R Gala tonight. Hopefully will get some scoop and post my thoughts later.

Good win last night by the Rams. Got invited to the P-R Gala tonight. Hopefully will get some scoop and post my thoughts later.
I was surprised NA was in a battle with SV.... SV is NOT a top tier team by any means, have seen tape on them.

Here are some stuff about the game Friday and the Football Party Saturday.

Pine-Richland got out to an early 28-7 on 3 LONG TD runs - 80, 80, and 50 - by Luke Meckler. That kid is fast. Hit the hole and outran the entire defense. Three times. I would say P-R ran the ball about 60-65% of the time and ended up with something like 400 yards rushing. I think the PA guy said meckler had over 250 and the QB had over 100. The OL is very big and very good. Meckler is a lot like Crawford with more speed and less shifty-ness. The backup kid is also a solid slippery runner. The QB is a gifted runner as well. He will be a threat moving forward. In the run game, the OL did a really really nice job handling PCC's DL which looked big and athletic.

The pass game is still a work in progress. They missed a sure TD early when the QB under threw the ball a little and missed another TD when the WR basically couldn't catch the ball even though no one was around him. (I felt bad for the kid - it looked very unathletic.). They clearly were trying to take shots to #1 and #12 but between the WR not being able to get open and pressure, nothing was completed. On the plus side, I thought their short game, particularly to #5 looked a lot like last year which is good. Nothing big but 5-15 yards a pop.

P-R's defense continued to be dominant. They finally had to play an entire game and gave up 1 score. Probably would have given up another if PCC would not have fumbled. The front 7 looked lights out. Not as big as PCC but really fast. #8 and #34 are studs at LB and the one DE #54 dominated play. P-R secondary is average at best and probably below average if Meckler isn't playing. Got beat deep a couple times and many missed tackles. The pass defense needs to get better, but they must be able to tackle. Besides Meckler, they are all first year players judging by the names - don't recall any of them from last year.

The game slowed down when P-R tried an onside kick up 28-7 and PCC returned it for a TD. Big hop and front kid grabbed it and rambled in. After that PR scored 2 more I think and PCC had 1 more (on a Pick-6).

Defensively, PCC looked really good. Big, fast and physical up front. They have a really good CB who locked the P-R kids down. #24 for PCC. I say that yet they gave up over 500 total yards. It seemed like P-R could move the ball running it ok, but they had 4 turnovers that killed drives.

Offensively, PCC is horrible. There is no other way to put it. They can't really run the ball and their only real "play" is chucking it deep to #5 who is pretty good. I don't know if this is true, but their starting RB didn't play football before and just transferred from Westinghouse. (PGH City school) I can't believe that that is the best PCC can find. I mean he was shifty, but very small and must have fumbled 4 or 5 times. (PCC had 8 TO's!!!!)

This is just an observation from the game, but the PCC team seems segregated both racially and by offense and defense. Its weird. Nearly the entire defense is african-american and nearly the entire offense is white. What I don't get is what can't some of those defensive players play offense as well. Line and Skill. Also, after the game and before the handshake like, it looked like the entire defense had their own little huddle with the DC before shaking hands. Had never seen that before.

Talking to some people, it sounds like the DC is angling to take over when Coach Totten retires. Maybe that's what's going on.

Saturday night was fun. Typical parents either happy with playing time or not, depending on what their kid is doing. I always have to chuckle about that though. P-R has won 17 straight WPIAL games and is the #1 team in the WPIAL and has another shot at a state championship and people complain about the coaches. That's crazy. I can't imagine what it was like before Coach K took over and they weren't any good. Maybe people just didn't care then.

The most interesting thing I learned is that most people believe that the current Sophomore class has a chance to be as good or better than the 2017 senior class (Jurkovec, etc.) Not the high end talent but very deep and they already have 5 or 6 kids in that group making significant contributions on Friday. QB, top 2 WR's, backup RB and best DE are all 10th graders. Most think next year could be rough trying to train a new OL and interior on D, but 2020 should be another team ready for a deep run.

I probably forgot some stuff too. If I remember, I will post.

Here are some stuff about the game Friday and the Football Party Saturday.

Pine-Richland got out to an early 28-7 on 3 LONG TD runs - 80, 80, and 50 - by Luke Meckler. That kid is fast. Hit the hole and outran the entire defense. Three times. I would say P-R ran the ball about 60-65% of the time and ended up with something like 400 yards rushing. I think the PA guy said meckler had over 250 and the QB had over 100. The OL is very big and very good. Meckler is a lot like Crawford with more speed and less shifty-ness. The backup kid is also a solid slippery runner. The QB is a gifted runner as well. He will be a threat moving forward. In the run game, the OL did a really really nice job handling PCC's DL which looked big and athletic.

The pass game is still a work in progress. They missed a sure TD early when the QB under threw the ball a little and missed another TD when the WR basically couldn't catch the ball even though no one was around him. (I felt bad for the kid - it looked very unathletic.). They clearly were trying to take shots to #1 and #12 but between the WR not being able to get open and pressure, nothing was completed. On the plus side, I thought their short game, particularly to #5 looked a lot like last year which is good. Nothing big but 5-15 yards a pop.

P-R's defense continued to be dominant. They finally had to play an entire game and gave up 1 score. Probably would have given up another if PCC would not have fumbled. The front 7 looked lights out. Not as big as PCC but really fast. #8 and #34 are studs at LB and the one DE #54 dominated play. P-R secondary is average at best and probably below average if Meckler isn't playing. Got beat deep a couple times and many missed tackles. The pass defense needs to get better, but they must be able to tackle. Besides Meckler, they are all first year players judging by the names - don't recall any of them from last year.

The game slowed down when P-R tried an onside kick up 28-7 and PCC returned it for a TD. Big hop and front kid grabbed it and rambled in. After that PR scored 2 more I think and PCC had 1 more (on a Pick-6).

Defensively, PCC looked really good. Big, fast and physical up front. They have a really good CB who locked the P-R kids down. #24 for PCC. I say that yet they gave up over 500 total yards. It seemed like P-R could move the ball running it ok, but they had 4 turnovers that killed drives.

Offensively, PCC is horrible. There is no other way to put it. They can't really run the ball and their only real "play" is chucking it deep to #5 who is pretty good. I don't know if this is true, but their starting RB didn't play football before and just transferred from Westinghouse. (PGH City school) I can't believe that that is the best PCC can find. I mean he was shifty, but very small and must have fumbled 4 or 5 times. (PCC had 8 TO's!!!!)

This is just an observation from the game, but the PCC team seems segregated both racially and by offense and defense. Its weird. Nearly the entire defense is african-american and nearly the entire offense is white. What I don't get is what can't some of those defensive players play offense as well. Line and Skill. Also, after the game and before the handshake like, it looked like the entire defense had their own little huddle with the DC before shaking hands. Had never seen that before.

Talking to some people, it sounds like the DC is angling to take over when Coach Totten retires. Maybe that's what's going on.

Saturday night was fun. Typical parents either happy with playing time or not, depending on what their kid is doing. I always have to chuckle about that though. P-R has won 17 straight WPIAL games and is the #1 team in the WPIAL and has another shot at a state championship and people complain about the coaches. That's crazy. I can't imagine what it was like before Coach K took over and they weren't any good. Maybe people just didn't care then.

The most interesting thing I learned is that most people believe that the current Sophomore class has a chance to be as good or better than the 2017 senior class (Jurkovec, etc.) Not the high end talent but very deep and they already have 5 or 6 kids in that group making significant contributions on Friday. QB, top 2 WR's, backup RB and best DE are all 10th graders. Most think next year could be rough trying to train a new OL and interior on D, but 2020 should be another team ready for a deep run.

I probably forgot some stuff too. If I remember, I will post.

Good write up New2PA. I posted mine on the western pa site but to expand on some of your points:

QB keeps improving but definitely concerned they are missing on some of these throws. They haven’t had a medium-deep passing game really this season, that carardi kid gets open a lot on the go type routes but he gets overthrown frequently. With how dominate the running game is they should be able to hit these type of plays. The #10 kid that couldn’t haul in the sure TD was a starting receiver at the beginning of the year, but I was told he was benched for a lack of effort in practice and games. Not surprising there. It seems like they’re rolling with Cafardi, Jochem, and miller as their main WRs, with #12 stenson and #18 mills playing some.

The secondary definitely left some plays on the field, but also gotta give credit to #5 he is a very good player. They should’ve just had a safety overtop him all game because he’s their only threat in the passing game. They’re lucky the bomb thrown on PCC’s first play didn’t go for 6 or else that would’ve been a huge momentum shifter. They definitely don’t have the same type of athletes than last year in the backfield besides meckler. The D line and LBs are all lights out, which helps the secondary a lot, they haven’t been tested much this year because QBs never have time to even set their feet for a pass. If they can keep up the constant pressure and shutting down the run game the secondary’s job will be easier. They usually don’t have to tackle much either because king or cerminara are always there to clean it up

Rewatching on 22 the point they said that Totten is now in the booth with the DC and OC running the show from the sideline. Gotta think they’re gonna transition to one of them in the next year or two. They need a coaching change imo.

The coach before coach k was bad. Besides the Neil Walker year they were always average-good at best in 3A, then they were mediocre every year in 4A until coach k took over. His last year in 2012 he wasn’t even at their practices most of time, heard it was coach k and the DC that we’re running things in the practices. They had always had good talent but mediocre coaching held it back. I heard a crazy rumor as well that he was basically forced to retire due to an internal scandal. The turn around coach k has brought to the program is crazy, those people probably don’t remeber when the pr teams were bad, those were some rough times.

Finally totally agree with you on the soph class, deep for sure besides a jurkovec type player. Losing 5 senior O linemen will be rough next year, but think they have some nice young linemen in the pipeline that will step up nicely next year. I expect them to be way more of a passing game next year as well. I’ve heard the current freshman class has a bunch of big kids that they think will be very good. Few of these kids I’ve seen are over 6’1 as freshmen linemen. Same scenario as last year for 2020 I hope, great junior linemen dominated by Sr skill.

Interesting game with canon Mac who upset one of the top 5A teams Peters township. They played NA pretty hard and led at one point. We’ll see if they have what it takes to play in the trenches with PR, that’s what really sets PR apart from every team imo.

Jacky - replacing those 5 linemen next year will be tough. Not replace, but be adequate to run the ball versus bad teams and protect a little versus PCC and NA.

Not a very impressive showing by PR against canon mac. Give credit to canon mac they played tough and never gave up, but PR has much better talent all around and they didn't play their best game.

Canon Mac O line didn't look too big in person but #13(O'hare?) was running all over PR for 4-5 yards a pop it seemed in the first half. PR offense was stalling as well, to me it looks like they are trying to do to much with deep passes and such. I think the offense runs most efficient when they are running mixed with quick passes, then when the opportunity presents itself take the deep shot. They dont have phil anymore and not the same type of deep threat kids that they did last year. If #13 didn't get injured in the first half then Canon Mac would've defiantly scored more and made this more interesting. Once he was hurt PR started pulling away as CM wasn't able to sustain much. #63 miller on the DL did not play but I'm pretty sure he will be back next week. With how well canon mac ran the ball on PR, it's a little concerning with NA coming up in a few weeks. They weren't very creative running it either, PR kids couldn't make clean tackles or get off the blocks. The offense can't start slow either and they're also committing dumb penalties that kill drives (one long TD was called back from a holding). The secondary looked lost at times, they need to get better at making plays whenever around the ball.

Hopefully just a down week and they'll be back on track next week. Canon Mac played NA very hard as well before NA pulled away in the second half. I could see them beating norwin and playing whoever they get tough in the first round of playoffs. Arguably the hardest stretch of PR season now with Lebo, seneca, and NA next.

Last edited:
I think the story so far this year has been a complete lack of competition in 6A, which has made PR look a lot better than they actually are. The QB plays like what he is - a sophomore. He’s basically another runner at this point. He can only complete quick outs and screen passes. Receivers are running wide open on deep balls, or break open and he can’t hit them. He either overthrows them or scrambles too early because of pressure. QB coach seemed to be giving it to him pretty good on the sideline after a couple series for taking too many sacks because he wasn’t getting rid of the ball.

Biggest story from the CM game was Meckler getting hurt. Seems like some kind of foot or ankle injury. Training staff was with him for a while and he never went back into the game. That could be a big issue because he is obviously their playmaker. Also may be an issue with depth at RB with the Geyer kid quitting a couple weeks ago.

Was not able to make it to the game, but from the score P-R defense must have played ok again. I don't think they have given up more than 1 TD since the IMG game. I think we are all spoiled - 31 pt victory is pretty good! But I do hope Meckler is ok. He's a huge threat and not having him would put more pressure on the QB to make plays. Hope to get to the next two home games.

I talked to my friend w a kid on the team, word is meckler got a MRI and he’s fine, should be playing this week but wouldn’t be surprised if he’s limited some just to be cautious.

PR defense looked pretty mediocre imo, canon Mac had two fourth and shorts they tried to pass for and couldn’t make it. These were head scratching playcalls because they were running all over PR. If #13 wasn’t injured I think canon Mac makes this a closer game.

Also 100% agree on the competition, it seems like it’s always gonna be the same 3 teams every year and then there’s everyone else. What’s really sets PR apart from everyone this year imo is what they have on the lines.

Also 100% agree on the competition, it seems like it’s always gonna be the same 3 teams every year and then there’s everyone else. What’s really sets PR apart from everyone this year imo is what they have on the lines.

Why aren't Lebo and SV better? I think everyone would agree that NA and PR have pretty good coaching and that PCC has great athletes. But Lebo and SV seem like they should have the exact same kids at P-R and NA. SV is bigger than NA and Lebo is bigger than P-R? They don't have other sports that just dominate that pull tons of kids away that I've heard of? Cyclical? Lebo pulled a coach from the middle of the state a few years ago and gave him a teaching job. He must have done ok where-ever he was to the lebo job. Honestly, same goes for Norwin. They supposedly had athletes too.

Why aren't Lebo and SV better? I think everyone would agree that NA and PR have pretty good coaching and that PCC has great athletes. But Lebo and SV seem like they should have the exact same kids at P-R and NA. SV is bigger than NA and Lebo is bigger than P-R? They don't have other sports that just dominate that pull tons of kids away that I've heard of? Cyclical? Lebo pulled a coach from the middle of the state a few years ago and gave him a teaching job. He must have done ok where-ever he was to the lebo job. Honestly, same goes for Norwin. They supposedly had athletes too.
New - SV Defesne is really good but have not seen them play and don’t know the coaches. Lebo - The coach in my opinion is a bad hire for them, could of had Art Walker jr and blew it and then Pat Carey accepts and then was promised the NH job when McCurrey retired, backed out. I watched Lebo twice.... very good skills, Line size, Morgan, Ventrone, Palmer are top conference players to name a few... zero discipline and a lot of extra curricular BS. They are now 3-4 and still have to play two heavy weights at least. The jv progam is run half assed. Melnyk under acheived when they were loaded. Norwin has always been pretty average and not sure why. Coaching is so so key at HS level and must continually evolve.

I’ll post my thought on the pr mount lebo game later, but two biggest things I noticed and heard were cerminara appears to be injured and he wasn’t playing tonight, something with an ankle. People seemed confident that he’ll be back next week. One of pr’s starting receivers #7 miller was injured and someone said something about he had to go to the hospital. Can’t be good, hoping and praying for the best.

Had the chance to go to the homecoming game last Friday.

P-R got out to a very fast start on offense and defense. 28-0 with a lot of time left in second quarter. Not sure if they got disinterested or what, but rest of the game was ho-hum and ended 42-24.

Meckler played but Cerminara did not. Lebo did not have much of a run game besides a long wildcat type play. Lebo pass game was good, but they dropped way to many wide open passes. A few catches and they would have stayed a game longer. I don't really think teams will be able to run at all once Cerminara is back, but I am not a believer in the secondary yet. Teams are going to test them.

Offensively, P-R looked pretty good except for the penalties. Its killing their drive and their momentum. Meckler was very good again and the QB and the young wide receivers (#'s 5, 7, and 10) all made great plays throughout the game. I still think the OL is their ticket, but it was good too see improvement in the passing game.

On a non-football note, I like all the food choices outside the stadium that the various clubs and groups sponsor for this game. A neat little festival.

Last edited:
Clash of the "Big Dogs" this week, what's the early feelings. Both teams have size and tough defenses. The stats look similar for the total offense for both teams, which might be slightly misleading due to the scores of the games for both teams.

Both teams seem healthy for this time of year as well.

Any thoughts?

NA is possibly the 4th best team in 6A right now behind PR, SV, and PCC.

It seems like P-R is getting its run game tuned up which is probably bad news for NA. If P-R can pass a little, I see a score something like 42-14. Otherwise something like 28-14.

Hats off to North Allegheny for a dominating win, particularly in the second half. My thought had been that P-R's OL and Defense were the strength of the team and would have to carry them to the the championship. I still believe that, but after watching NA dominate P-R's defense the entire game, and their defense stop P-R in the second half, I don't think they are quite as good or maybe as motivated as I thought.

There were times that P-R's offense rolled through NA but on many many many big downs, they got stoned. The 2 LB's for NA were very good and their DL also made a ton of plays. I believe the Meckler boy had over 100 yards, but no huge plays like the past several week. For all you PSU fans, the Porter kid is very good. Seemed like he could cover ok and was VERY physical on our outside WRs. When the game got to 21-7 in the fourth quarter, P-R had to pass more and on a raining night, the young skill guys didn't come through. I think there were 4 drops on the last 6 passes.

Defensively, it looked like NA's game plan was very simple - run left. Had to be greater than 90% I was surprised that NA also tried to throw the ball (and also had a ton of drops), but they always came back to run left.

I guess P-R ended up getting "lucky" in a sense because they dropped to #2 and because of PCC's loss, P-R avoids NA, PCC, and SV until the WPIAL finals. But they do have to play the winner of Mt. Lebanon and Canon-Mac. Lebo just beat PCC and can throw it well and Canon-Mac is improving.

I think P-R still has a great chance to win the WPIAL, but need to fix some things up front and on the defensive side of the ball. Or they are going to be depending on a young QB and inexperienced WR corps - and these guys aren't Jurkovec and crew. But I don't think Coach K is going to stand pat and do nothing. Will be an exciting playoffs.

Agree with most of that post. Hats off to NA. They had a great plan and executed it well.

As to Porter, We must have watched different games. None of PR’s receivers seem to have any problem getting a clean release on him when he pressed. He wanted no part of run defense. And he did even the less on offense. Stenson blanketed him all night. More importantly, he is clearly just a punk. Talking, gesturing and dancing all night. Not sure how that kid has the offers that he has. I get it that he has the length and some speed, but he is going to really need to be coached up to have any chance at a P5 program. I was actually much more impressed with the Melzer kid. Looked like he got hurt in the second half. Hope he is OK.

Tyler King was the most dominant recruit on the field last night. And it wasn’t close.

Coach K will get the defense sorted out. Only real concern there is that the three big linemen are now playing a lot more on defense, which probably is hurting their effectiveness on both sides of the ball. I get it though. In big games, those kids need play both ways more.

PR’s real problem is the lack of any kind of intermediate for deep passing game to keep a defense honest. Should have put more work into that during games against creampuffs like Butler Norwin and Hempfield so that they would have something to rely on when it came time to play NA. Not sure that can be solved at this point, because when the Spencer kid even sees any kind of a rush he panics and tucks the ball.

They certainly still have a shot to beat NA in round two, but last night’s game exposed a lot of flaws that have existed all season long.

Agreed to to points surrounding the game, "Hats off" to the NA players and especially their coaches. It seems that PR coaching staff has a hard time sticikng to a game plan or make adjustmets. For example, on both 4th down situations in the 3rd quarter, the offense doesn't run their short yardage offense or on first down moving the ball on the grounf, PR passes (raining?). PR had the chance to put the game away and let it "slip away".

Another observation was the PR teams' body language after NA tied the game, there seemed to be no emotion in them (good or bad) and when NA went up 14, all air left the sideline, coaches included....I guess other than IMG, PR had not been put in the position of adversity, hopefully a learning experience for them and their staff.

It seems these teams are destined to meet again in the playoffs for the WPIAL Chamoionship. I should be very intersting on how the chess match is played.

IMO the biggest turning points in the game were PR recovering two fumbles in NA territory and not able to get anything from either drive. A touchdown on either drive would've changed the complexion of the game, NA would've had to be more aggressive and try to pass in the rain instead of just ground and pound. PR also dropped a lot of passes, I counted 5 or 6 drops. I guess there is a little room there since it was wet.

PR passing game has been frustrating to watch all season long, guess I've been too spoiled of dinucci/jurkovec. They finally ran into a match of coaching and talent. Gotta figure something out on that side of the ball, passing game is virtually non existent in big games. I agree with points above about QB, receivers get open constantly downfield he's leaving the pocket too early or missing them all together. Doubt that can be fixed at this point of the season so that leaves a hole in things. Their run playcalls have become predictable now and with no passing game it shouldn't be hard for teams to stack the box and pressure the QB every play because he runs at the first sight of pressure.

Defensively PR seems to get gashed by these speedy backs. SV put a fast guy in last week and his first carry he ripped a 40 yard run. I'm surprised NA only gave that maenza guy 9 carries, they could've scored even more imo. Once a Rb gets to second level on them it seems like it's always a big play and meckler is the only one fast enough to chase it down. After meckler their nothing special in the secondary imo.

Meckler appeared to be hurt near the end of the game, something to keep an eye on. If he has to miss time they’re losing their only playmaker on offense.

Last edited:
Great bounceback game last night for P-R. Maybe that loss to NA was a wakeup call.

Defense came out flying around and harassed the QB every play. Lebo had no answer. They tried to spread P-R out, but between coverage and great pass rush, they couldn't get anything coming. I thought that P-R's secondary was really good in coverage and tackling in the run game in open space. I didn't see anyone running wide open.

On offense they were more balanced than vs. NA. They spread things out and threw the ball a bit. Good mix I thought. The OL was great in both the pass and run game and Meckler was dynamic as usual. This is weird to say, but the thing I noticed was that the offensive line looked very fast. All those kids are big and can run pretty well. Also, during introductions i heard that 5 of the 6 starting skill players on offense are underclassmen, with 4 of them being sophomores. Not sure how much I like that for next week, but last night those kids played really well. Biggest change I saw was Cerminara getting good reps at Tailback.

Was 46-0 when I left at halftime.

Looking forward to Saturday. Should be a great game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT