ADVERTISEMENT

Pine-Richland 2017

Excited to see the team on Saturday. Also need to get Wayne tickets at scrimmage. Anyone know anything about Erie. They had a nice team last year.

All I know is that they're playing saint Ed's this year so they must expect to field a pretty good squad. I'm excited to see jurkovec back in the shotgun leading the offense it's been too long

Some big injury news, one of the starting offensive guards got a concussion and quit the team. I'll post more about that as I find out.

Wasn't a concussion. He has issues with migraines and decided to quit. They didn't hit enough in camp to give anyone a concussion, trust me. They lost a back up offensive lineman to a broken foot as well.

Wasn't a concussion. He has issues with migraines and decided to quit. They didn't hit enough in camp to give anyone a concussion, trust me. They lost a back up offensive lineman to a broken foot as well.

I was told it was a concussion, and this wouldn't be his first btw. He's had migraines from it. I heard it got bad at one point with side effects. Unfortunate about the other kid too because he would've saw time as a rotational player.

If you've had a concussion before it's easier to get anouther and this isn't his first. Someone I know who plays on the team told me he got anouther one. It's unfortunate because he's a senior and he went through two a days and all the summer workouts, but health is more important.

Saw the scrimmage today. First team offense with jurkovec played for two drives and scored effortlessly. Very first play of first drive was a long TD pass to defrancis, then second drive took about 4 or 5 plays and then I believe jochem caught a TD. First team defense looked good, didn't give up big plays and we're going to the ball. The new kid burns wasn't scrimmaging but I believe that's because he didn't do heat acclimation. Crawford started at CB opposite white.

Even thought it's just a scrimmage they looked very good. Btw the replacement for the injured linemen just joined the team now, he played last year and was going to start but quit before the season (reason you saw carrigan playing tackle the first game).

Erie's offense returned 6 starters, so it was nice to see P-R hold them in check. Two of McDowell's few big plays came on streak routes to outside receivers. One of them was caught for about a 20 yard gain and the other was a pass interference. Erie also ran the QB quite a few time even though he was in a red shirt and P-R just tagged him off.

Erie's defense only returned 1 kid so shellacking them makes sense with the kids P-R has on offense.

http://blogs.goerie.com/varsity/2017/08/07/summer-huddle-football-preview-mcdowell-2/

Huber Heights Wayne....

I have followed HS sports in Ohio for awhile and I have also seen Wayne over the years as well as one of their scrimmages......

One should not always believe the preseason hype and polls. Wayne lost a ton from graduation as well as some including D1 prospects from parents moving out of the area. Wayne has a very strong incoming freshman class and are probably 2 years away from serious state contention again.

Don't get me wrong this team is still very capable but not near the team they had a few years back. Wayne's defense is strong but will struggle against a duel threat QB. Hopefully this game will be a good one but I think Pine Richland wins by 2 to 3 scores.....

I watched the film of their scrimmage from the 18th. Was not overly impressed. Offensive line struggled. Outside of the obvious athletes on the team they don't seem to have a lot of supporting cast.

Reactions: new2pa
Thank you OHioHSFBfan. Great intel and hopefully it works out. Lots of people around here think this P-R team could be special. Sounds like Wayne will be a solid team with some good players. Jurkovec is definitely a dual threat kid.

I watched the film of their scrimmage from the 18th. Was not overly impressed. Offensive line struggled. Outside of the obvious athletes on the team they don't seem to have a lot of supporting cast.

Is this available on the internet somewhere? I would like to see Wayne too.

Two starters on the line weren't playing when the first team offense was on the field. Falcons didn't play also. I think this line will be very solid across the board.

I was there live as well as having it on film. Despite not looking good Wayne was leading 33-0 over Upper Arlington at the half. If they can get the O-line figured out that would be a great improvement. Wayne did improve from their last scrimmages against Lakota West and Fairfield where they looked awful.

I will be making the trip to the Pine Richland game and hoping they can keep it competitive. Wayne plays a tough schedule and has a Liberty team in week 2 that went 13-1 last season. They will need to get a win in either of these games to put them in good shape for the playoffs. Wayne will be a much better team in week 10.

Ohio:

Just out of curiousity, whats the preseason practice schedules for teams in Ohio? If I am following, they will have 3 scrimmages before opening up on August 25? so how soon do they start?

Ohio:

Just out of curiousity, whats the preseason practice schedules for teams in Ohio? If I am following, they will have 3 scrimmages before opening up on August 25? so how soon do they start?

Sunday at midnight July 30/31 Wayne started practicing at their annual "midnight practice". They had two a days for about a week. Ohio teams are allowed 3 scrimmages. Wayne played in a scrimmage where they played Lakota West for about 80 minutes and then they played Fairfield for 80 minutes. These are not "game like" scrimmages as each team runs 10 plays from the same spot on the field. There is no "down and distance". They also worked on special teams. Last Friday Wayne played a "game like" scrimmage (no kickoff or punt returns) against Upper Arlington. Varsity for one half, back-ups 3rd qtr, JV 4th.

Sounds like PR and PJ will be way too much for a Wayne especially with Wayne on the road for the opener. PR by 21....This is PR's year.

Reactions: new2pa
Sunday at midnight July 30/31 Wayne started practicing at their annual "midnight practice". They had two a days for about a week. Ohio teams are allowed 3 scrimmages. Wayne played in a scrimmage where they played Lakota West for about 80 minutes and then they played Fairfield for 80 minutes. These are not "game like" scrimmages as each team runs 10 plays from the same spot on the field. There is no "down and distance". They also worked on special teams. Last Friday Wayne played a "game like" scrimmage (no kickoff or punt returns) against Upper Arlington. Varsity for one half, back-ups 3rd qtr, JV 4th.

Does wayne have any other offensive threats besides smith and their QB? Pine Richland is going to have a strong secondary anchored by two transfers, kenny white and thomas burns along with two other returning starters, say they keep smiths damage low can wayne beat them with anybody else?

Same question for their defense? I know they have a good Defensive End and Corner and heard they have a transfer LB. Any other returning starters?

Last edited:
I was there live as well as having it on film. Despite not looking good Wayne was leading 33-0 over Upper Arlington at the half. If they can get the O-line figured out that would be a great improvement. Wayne did improve from their last scrimmages against Lakota West and Fairfield where they looked awful.

I will be making the trip to the Pine Richland game and hoping they can keep it competitive. Wayne plays a tough schedule and has a Liberty team in week 2 that went 13-1 last season. They will need to get a win in either of these games to put them in good shape for the playoffs. Wayne will be a much better team in week 10.

If I'm not mistaken, Liberty is the team that pulled out a last minute 1 point victory against North Allegheny last season.

Does wayne have any other offensive threats besides smith and their QB? Pine Richland is going to have a strong secondary anchored by two transfers, kenny white and thomas burns along with two other returning starters, say they keep smiths damage low can wayne beat them with anybody else?

This game is a match-up nightmare for Wayne this season. Wayne was a very senior laden team last year and then throw in some kids that moved out of the area that they were counting on and it could be a tough season.

Victoria is a pretty good receiver that made a great diving catch last week. All the RB's graduated so who knows who will take that spot. Possibly Kinnel or the freshman RB Walker. If Smith is boggled up it will then come down to McKee making decisions to move the chains. He is also a duel threat QB but if the O-line does not give him time it could get ugly.

Same question for their defense? I know they have a good Defensive End and Corner and heard they have a transfer LB. Any other returning starters?

They did get a LB that transferred in but not sure if he is eligible or not for this game. Ohio is a bit weird about transfers. The defense is in better shape and will be the strength of this team. Unfortunately they lost a very good DB who moved out of the area. They return about half the starters but lost some studs on the line from graduation.

For those that are curious a little info about Huber Heights Wayne.

Huber Heights is located in SWO about 60 miles north of Cincinnati. I70 runs right through it and it is known as the brick home capital of the world. Huber Heights became a city in 1981. Since 81 Wayne is 301-97-3 and has only had 2 losing seasons where they went 4-6 both times. Wayne plays in the Greater Western Ohio Conference and their rivals are Centerville, Springfield, and Trotwood. Wayne has dominated the GWOC going 103-18 since it formed. Wayne has never won a state title but made it to the finals 4 times playing in the toughest region of the state. 2 of the state final games Wayne was leading with under 2 minutes to go but fell short both times to St. Edward. Wayne is known for being one of the top big school teams in the state and also has a winning record against the GCL-S (St.Xavier, Elder, Moeller) in the playoffs including beating all those teams the last time they played including beating Moeller the last 3 years as well as knocking off Colerain. The Wayne basketball team won the state title in 2015 and they also defeated the #1 team in the nation Findlay Prep Nevada that season.

Huber Heights is a football town and Wayne has a very strong following. I doubt though many will travel for this game as it is on TV plus the pee wee teams play on Sunday. Like I stated a few times Wayne is down this year but still dangerous. During another down season a Wayne team defeated a nationally ranked East St.Louis team who went on to win their state tourney with Wayne being the only loss on the schedule....

Can't wait for this game but not looking forward to the long bus ride!!!!!

This game is a match-up nightmare for Wayne this season. Wayne was a very senior laden team last year and then throw in some kids that moved out of the area that they were counting on and it could be a tough season.

Victoria is a pretty good receiver that made a great diving catch last week. All the RB's graduated so who knows who will take that spot. Possibly Kinnel or the freshman RB Walker. If Smith is boggled up it will then come down to McKee making decisions to move the chains. He is also a duel threat QB but if the O-line does not give him time it could get ugly.

I've watched hudl on smith and he's a freak, wouldn't be surprised if PR put safety help on him so Wayne may need need to use someone else to beat PR. If they struggle with dual threat QBs then jurkovec is going to have a big game, and Wayne will need to move the ball and score points. PR offense has 4-5 guys that are home run threats and can break it on any play for a big play. Wayne defense will be challenged, jurkovec is probably the best QB they will face.

All I know is that they're playing saint Ed's this year so they must expect to field a pretty good squad. I'm excited to see jurkovec back in the shotgun leading the offense it's been too long

McDowell, typically plays St Eds or St Iggy and or Youngstown Cardinal Mooney every year. Assuming PR wins the WPIAL championship they probably will face them again depending on this year's PIAA brackets. They only have to win one game to represent D 10 which is much easier than D7.

Last edited:
Jacky. Just reading through this - do you know why Falcone didn't play? Knee again? If he is out, that would be a huge blow. Also, even though it seems to OLine starters were out, it seemed that they did a nice job with pass protection. Jurkovec didn't get pressured at all. (I thought his second TD pass was a rocket - his arm seems alot stronger and release a lot quicker if that throw is any indication.)

For the PR guys : Btw , PCC has lost 4 starters, already. I anticipate a severe challenge for my Vikings on Friday in Erie versus Cathedral Prep last year's PIAA Quad A state champs. The word is they have more seasoned talent than Central. I 'll be there in the flesh.

For the PR guys : Btw , PCC has lost 4 starters, already. I anticipate a severe challenge for my Vikings on Friday in Erie versus Cathedral Prep last year's PIAA Quad A state champs. The word is they have more seasoned talent than Central. I 'll be there in the flesh.

Well, I'm sorry to hear that for those kids and the team. I had saw something on Twitter about an OLineman and a skill guy being out for a long time, and the Slattery kid missing a few games. Did not know it got worse.

Prep is similar to P-R offensively. QB committed to Miami (OH). It will be a good game to check out.

With Falcone back, I think the Rams are as healthy as they have been. Finger crossed.

new2pa, actually it was a Defensive end and RB Luke Robeson possibly out for the season. LB Liam Slattery who was concussed will hopefully be back sooner or later and Sunseri who will be back in few weeks. He is the backup QB and part of the DB rotation. He will be Central 's Qb next year. I have been told that he will be a very good HS QB. Let me point out I'm not up to speed on the day to day events so there could also be an OLineman out. Re their new OL, I have two conflicting reports, one is that the OL will be really good and another that says this current group is not. I think this team will be dependent on defense, special teams and Troy Fisher. I predict a somewhat disappointing for them 9-3 season but exciting none the less. We shall see soon enough. My weekend will have me rooting for Central up at Erie Prep Friday night and watching and pulling for Pine Richland against Wayne.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT