ADVERTISEMENT

PIAA fall season.

PIAA Board: The go-ahead is given for fall sports, but it’s up to the schools to determine when they’ll start.

Idk how this is going to work. Especially with some schools already deciding to go virtual.

The EPC Conference in the Lehigh Valley will not start until the end of September.

What's the story with the INTERAC schools? If they and the PCL schools will be open and playing and if more public schools / boards decide not to play, it would seem to make sense for some PCL and INT|ERAC schools to make some plans together.

What's the story with the INTERAC schools? If they and the PCL schools will be open and playing and if more public schools / boards decide not to play, it would seem to make sense for some PCL and INT|ERAC schools to make some plans together.

Central League likely going to push back start by at least oNe week and play league only schedule. Not that big of a deal in football where they only have 1 non league game anyway, but it will be a bigger issue for the other fall sports.

EPC put out their plan this morning. Splitting football league up into three six team divisions, based on county. Games start on October 2nd, team will be playing five games, all in their division (so Easton will play Freedom, Liberty, Becahi, Nazareth, and Northampton).

We’ll see how this works. All assumptions are no fans - Easton announced yesterday that they are not doing season tickets based on uncertainty, and I think that’s just a soft way of saying the inevitable.

Have any other leagues announced scheduling changes?

Kevin Cooney

@KevinCooney

·
1h

Have talked to multiple head coaches from Suburban One League tonight: AD's recommendation is that fall sports will be delayed. No firm date established, but Sept. 25 seems to be possible first game date for football. Other sports could go sooner. Must be approved by Supt.

With all that leg work and effort, at any given time they can pull the plug? Anyone know if all leagues will be required to test players and coaches 1 to 2 times per week per PIAA? Or will that be a league / school thing?

With all that leg work and effort, at any given time they can pull the plug? Anyone know if all leagues will be required to test players and coaches 1 to 2 times per week per PIAA? Or will that be a league / school thing?

The chances of players and coaches being tested are 0%. School districts have lost millions of dollars in tax revenue and most places are looking at layoffs on the other side of the pandemic. A single test is between $75-$200 in lab costs, plus whatever the cost of the test would be outside of insurance, which I’m sure does not cover regular asymptomatic testing. Multiply that by your number of athletes, coaches, and staff times how many weeks the season is going. Additionally, average turnaround time on tests in Pennsylvania is 10-14 days, and I’m sure all schools aren’t going to get MLB access with regards to lab access where they get tests back the same day ($). The only way testing of teams, coaches, or staff will happen is if somebody gets sick and there will be a check for outbreak. Realistically, the plan is cross your fingers and hope.

Reactions: D1sideline
What does PIAA membership get a school? A classification? A chance to play for a State Championship? Insurance? What does the Inter Ac do for insurance, What did the Catholic League do for it before they joined?
I just don’t see the benefit. SEPA (District 1 & 12) control the big 3 playoff money makers for the PIAA (Football, Basketball & LAX). They should just leave and start their own league.

What does PIAA membership get a school? A classification? A chance to play for a State Championship? Insurance? What does the Inter Ac do for insurance, What did the Catholic League do for it before they joined?
I just don’t see the benefit. SEPA (District 1 & 12) control the big 3 playoff money makers for the PIAA (Football, Basketball & LAX). They should just leave and start their own league.

Is lacrosse really one of the three biggest moneymakers for the PIAA? I’ve never been to one of their postseason games, but I’m having a hard time believing that is more profitable than the wrestling tournament that draws 40,0000+ over three days plus has an outside media deal that pays a pretty healthy rights fee for both team and individual states.

Is lacrosse really one of the three biggest moneymakers for the PIAA? I’ve never been to one of their postseason games, but I’m having a hard time believing that is more profitable than the wrestling tournament that draws 40,0000+ over three days plus has an outside media deal that pays a pretty healthy rights fee for both team and individual states.

Agree about the wrestling, that’s untouchable. But District 1 & 12 also don’t place enough wrestlers to contend for team titles on a regular basis as compared with Football, Basketball, & Lax.

Rover,
Yes it is!!!

All the state tournament games leading up to the the finals cumulatively is a large number.... The state finals have switched last few years to West Chester East stadium from Hershey Park, have witnessed essentially full home-side (both team's side-line) crowds and significant residual visitor's side stands. I would imagine most of the volume coming from Dist 1,12 and Lancaster regions once playoffs commence.

Igor Khoroshev..

Reactions: Relayer
The PIAA is having an emergency meeting this afternoon. Will they stand up to the governor or cave?
I see them caving....... no one is willing to take the chance due to the court of public opinion! Sad, I thought things were being handled in a responsible way thus far.

The chances of players and coaches being tested are 0%. School districts have lost millions of dollars in tax revenue and most places are looking at layoffs on the other side of the pandemic. A single test is between $75-$200 in lab costs, plus whatever the cost of the test would be outside of insurance, which I’m sure does not cover regular asymptomatic testing. Multiply that by your number of athletes, coaches, and staff times how many weeks the season is going. Additionally, average turnaround time on tests in Pennsylvania is 10-14 days, and I’m sure all schools aren’t going to get MLB access with regards to lab access where they get tests back the same day ($). The only way testing of teams, coaches, or staff will happen is if somebody gets sick and there will be a check for outbreak. Realistically, the plan is cross your fingers and hope.
That's what I figured, but after reason Zwan's interview, I was wondering if the state would require something. Most district's won t have the budget for the extra busses needed if they plan on distancing during travel.

If the major college conferences are willing to do away with fall sports , how can any high school league justify games ?

This evening I rode by the Northampton Twp athletic complex here in Bucks Co. All the fields were filled with baseball, football, soccer and softball practices. It sure looked like a normal August evening around these parts.

Reactions: Fletchster1
If the major college conferences are willing to do away with fall sports , how can any high school league justify games ?
There are a couple of big differences, the most obvious being that major colleges, even if playing only conference games, would have to travel much further (including over-night stays) than high school teams playing within their own area. Also, college teams generally have a much larger number of people in their entourages (more players, more coaches, more trainers, etc. High school games also last 48 minutes--20% less time than college games--not a big difference bur not insignificant when you consider that duration of proximity can be important. Of course, it's also true that more hs players go both ways.

The big thing to consider is the current rate of infection in a given area. If it's high, no amount of distancing, mask-wearing, etc. will make it safe enough. If the rate is low, then it seems possible--if done with care. The problem with the colleges is that you have to consider the rates in two quite separate areas (e.g. central PA for PSU and south-central WI for UW and, as mentioned above, you have to address the travel issue.

Reactions: paul from philly

Rover, if I was in the area I would be glad to help out your alma mater.

Reactions: Fletchster1
Central League Principal are now looking to push back the start of all fall sports to October 1 and still League only schedule. I suspect for football that would mean a 5 game schedule with bigs playing bigs and small playing small with perhaps a 6 th game with 1 st place big playing 1 st place small , and 2 v 2 etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT