ADVERTISEMENT

Phils-Dbacks moved to 5 today (10/23)

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
Go Phils. And how bout them Eagles! That looked like the team we've been looking for.

Reactions: Relayer
As a way to tie into Pennsylvania football - it's been too bad that the young Diamondbacks outfielders have seemingly displaced Jake McCarthy, who was playing left field early in the year for the D-backs and has stolen something like 70 bases over the last two seasons.

For those of you who don't remember, McCarthy played at Scranton High and was one of the All State running backs in 2014 - he had something like 1,700 yards and 30 TDs in 8 games then broke his ankle and missed the rest of the season. That was back when I was doing write-ups on the entire District 11/2/4 subregional during the year, and I had that Scranton team ranked very high throughout the year, largely on how unstoppable McCarthy was as a football player. Him, Shane Simpson of Easton, and some kid from Whitehall were as dominant a set of running backs as we've had in the northeast corner. McCarthy stopped playing football after high school and went to UVA to play baseball, where he took them to a College World Series and was a first round pick by the Diamondbacks.

Reactions: Stalker and Relayer
I'm assuming we've all seen the picture Kyle Schwarber trying to tackle Braxton Miller? Schwarber has said in interviews that this is the moment he decided baseball was his future.

brax1.jpeg

Reactions: bucksftball
I'm assuming we've all seen the picture Kyle Schwarber trying to tackle Braxton Miller? Schwarber has said in interviews that this is the moment he decided baseball was his future.

brax1.jpeg
Speaking of Schwarber, I hope he and Trae pick it up tonight.

Scranton had a nice team in 2011 too with a back, Waiters or Walters. that motored but got beat/upset by Del Val. Back then them and Scranton had teams that occasionally challenged Parkland and Easton in the postseason.

Speaking of Schwarber, I hope he and Trae pick it up tonight.

Scranton had a nice team in 2011 too with a back, Waiters or Walters. that motored but got beat/upset by Del Val. Back then them and Scranton had teams that occasionally challenged Parkland and Easton in the postseason.
2011 Scranton actually played a great game with Easton in the subregional - 27-20 I think, that was a really good team. Joe McCarthy, Jake’s brother, was their star running back, who also played baseball at UVA and got drafted.

Then in 2012, they lost to Delaware Valley, who had Bryan Schor, who was national player of the year and won a national championship at James Madison. They then lost a wild 49-42 subregional championship to Parkland.

Too bad about Hazleton and Scranton as both used to be good football. Scranton Prep is a obvious drain of talent (damned privates!....ha) knowing the success they've had for years. And evidently Hazleton simply doesn't care about football anymore.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT