ADVERTISEMENT

Neumann Goretti moves on ....

JBinPA

Nov 13, 2010
Congrats to the Saints!

Had to watch the Dunmore - NothWest Lehigh game Friday; my takeaway is that if the N-G Saints are stiff against the run they will do well. As with most teams out of the Scranton area, Dunmore runs the ball 97% of the time; stop the run, not sure they will know what to do.

57 rush attempts (441 yards) vs. 2 passing attempts Friday; not rare for teams out of coal country but not sure they can run their way to a state championship. With all the rushing yards, it was still a one score game in the end!

N-G had better work on stopping the run this week; they're going to see alot of it come Saturday.

Dunmore has another typical team this year JBinPA with a massive OL that looks like an OL! Having a great head coach, one of PA best in Jack Henzes, 405156-8 in 48th year, they are always a threat, getting to finals in 2012, losing to Clairton 20-0 and 2007 losing to Jeannette 49-21. They pound it with super quick Holmes, at least he looks quick at 155, 1380ry and the big guy Marchese also over 1000 by now.

Where they are dangerous is in the short passing game especially as they usually move it against anyone on the ground behind that line (+300ry avg/ga) getting you back on your heels. 67% completion rate so while they won't go deep, they will peck away.

Moved back to AA this year. About Neumann, no idea, relying on Huck and Ted for all things PCL.

Stalk, N-G hit their stride at the right time. I think their confidence is at all-time high by this point. I think they can match-up with dunmore's style of play. Now, if Dunmore just physically manhandles them then throw that out the window. Not sure that will be the case, though.

As long as NG keeps mistakes/turnovers to a minimum, then I get the sense they'll be in the game throughout. They only have about 29-32 players. Three-year starter at QB. He can make a play in the passing game, but doesn't throw for a high percentage. Decent size on the OL. Scrappy on defense and are led by one of the more underrated LBs in SE PA Mike DiFrancesco. This kid is rugged and instinctive, often dominates in the tackling department. Good athletes in the secondary led by sophomore Aamir Brown, who has big-play ability in all three phases of the game (Also at WR; wildcat). Khalil Roane is their go-to back. A slasher, with solid instincts. Not a burner, but runs hard and is playing very well right now.

It will all come down to how well NG can play the run; a short passing game with a 67% completion rate that throws 2 times a game isn't going to put the fear of God into anyone.

If NG can hold their own against the running game, it should be a game; if they're unable to, Dunmore will control the ball, the clock and the scoreboard.

EDIT: may be at this one so hope it's a good one!
This post was edited on 11/25 11:21 AM by JBinPA

Of course throwing it twice a game (they throw 6-7 times a game) isn't scaring anyone, regardless of comp rate. Point being, Dunmore's Qb is accurate when called on, 65%. You don't need to sling it all over the field to have a effective offense, just have to show it, complete a few. Everyone can catch and they come in all sizes, tall and fast; it's Dunmore, they have quality players.

No one is calling them or NG a west coast offense but the concept of a short passing attack has proved to be devastating.

Assuming both got here with reasonably good defenses, if either complete a few they'll be in the driver's seat with their respective ground games.

Good point, turnovers have to be at a minimum as it looks to be a real fast game, no time to make up ground. You have to love a 3 year Qb too, their OL, RB and DiFrancesco sure looks the part on Ted's site!

I think if you throw in the schedule difficulty factor it tips to NG. Scranton Prep is a representative team here, analyzing Dunmore - NG where they lost bad, 26-0.

Thanks Huck. Appreciate the insight.

I couldn't be happier for Neumann Goretti , the team, the coaching staff & their fans. Hopefully they can build on this momentum.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT