ADVERTISEMENT

Name your Top 5 favorite high school venues in eastern PA

Relayer

Jun 18, 2001
Here's mine:

1. Banko Field, Bethlehem Liberty High School

This place is easily the #1 venue. Seats 14,000, lots of off-street parking, Roosevelt's around the corner is a good place for a pre-game gathering. The best atmosphere I witnessed here was the 2002 D11 championship between Parkland and Bethlehem Catholic in front of a full house. That was the year when these were arguably the two best teams in the state.

2. Kottmeyer Stadium, Downingtown West High School

Big stadium and the stands are right on the field, no track to look over, terrific vantage points. Parking can be an issue. Always nice to have an excuse to visit the Victory Brewing Company before a game. Great atmosphere for both the D1 championship (Coatesville, Spring-Ford) and 4A east final (Coatesville-LaSalle) 3 years ago.

3. War Memorial Field, Central Bucks West High School

Didn't think I would have War Memorial ranked so high. What's not to like? Only downside is the visitor's bleachers are a little small. The upside: one of the most historic programs in the state played on this field the past 40 years. Nice setting in Doylestown Borough. It's walkable from everywhere in town and like Banko, plenty off street parking. This site hosted one of the great PIAA state playoff games in 2006 between Pennsbury and Liberty, plus numerous CB-West D1 playoff games.

4. Harry E. Franks Stadium, Neshaminy High School

Like War Memorial, lots of history here. Big stadium, although the concrete never gets high marks. One of the best grass fields around, always is good condition. Great tailgating underneath the water tower. The kettle corn stand is always a favorite. Exiting the property can be an issue with a big crowd. This stadium has hosted two D1 finals ('01, '04) and three 4A east finals ('98, '00, and '02). Who can forget the famous 1971 Pennsbury-Neshaminy game? I can't because I was there.

5. Coatesville Memorial Stadium, Coatesville High School

I really wanted to rank this facility higher. It's an awesome venue in terms of huge steel stands, field, parking, multiple entrances, etc. The one big drawback is the stadium was built too far from the field. Other wise it would be up the list for sure. Coatesville has hosted multiple huge games over the years that I recall. The Manheim Central-Strath Haven 3A east final in '03, Neshaminy's big second half comeback against Coatesville in the '04 D1 semis, Liberty-North Penn in the '08 east final, and the D1 championship in '09 when Ridley defeated North Penn.

Honorable Mention:

Cottingham Stadium, Easton High School. Obviously lots of tradition, very cool setting in town. I've only been here once for the Parkland-Easton D11 championship in '03.

Phil Marion Field, Ridley High School. Again, tradition is another big component. Have seen multiple playoff games here. Always cherish the times hanging out on "the hill" with the boys having a beverage.

Falcon Field, Pennsbury High School. Stadium wise this venue is right up there. For some reason I always feel the grass field should be in better shape.

Walt Snyder Stadium, Council Rock North High School. For sentimental reasons, they have done a nice job renovating the stadium. Did host a state semi-final in '98 (CBW-Abington Heights) and the D1 championship in 2010 (NP-Neshaminy).

Crawford Stadium, North Penn High School. For a 10 year period this was the toughest place to play in District 1. The Knights hosted countless playoff games in that period.

Charles Martin Stadium, Northeast High School. This site has hosted more playoff games in the last 10 years than anyone, and it's not even close. There's a certain charm to this place. Plenty of off street parking and where else can you watch a high school game on the concourse with the patrons brown bagging it.

Stadiums that no longer exist:

The old J Birney Crum in Allentown. I'm talking about when they had bleachers on both sides of the field. Saw the first state playoff game here in 1988 between Neshaminy and Cedar Cliff.

Poppy Yoder Field, Pennridge High School.....just because. Those visitor bleachers could not get any closer to the field.

Last edited:
Here's mine:

1. Banko Field, Bethlehem Liberty High School

This place is easily the #1 venue. Seats 14,000, lots of off-street parking, Roosevelt's around the corner is a good place for a pre-game gathering. The best atmosphere I witnessed here was the 2002 D11 championship between Parkland and Bethlehem Catholic in front of a full house. That was the year when these were arguably the two best teams in the state.

2. Kottmeyer Stadium, Downingtown West High School

Big stadium and the stands are right on the field, no track to look over, terrific vantage points. Parking can be an issue. Always nice to have an excuse to visit the Victory Brewing Company before a game. Great atmosphere for both the D1 championship (Coatesville, Spring-Ford) and 4A east final (Coatesville-LaSalle) 3 years ago.

3. War Memorial Field, Central Bucks West High School

Didn't think I would have War Memorial ranked so high. What's not to like? Only downside is the visitor's bleachers are a little small. The upside: one of the most historic programs in the state played on this field the past 40 years. Nice setting in Doylestown Borough. It's walkable from everywhere in town and like Banko, plenty off street parking. This site hosted one of the great PIAA state playoff games in 2006 between Pennsbury and Liberty, plus numerous CB-West D1 playoff games.

4. Harry E. Franks Stadium, Neshaminy High School

Like War Memorial, lots of history here. Big stadium, although the concrete never gets high marks. One of the best grass fields around, always is good condition. Great tailgating underneath the water tower. The kettle corn stand is always a favorite. Exiting the property can be an issue with a big crowd. This stadium has hosted two D1 finals ('01, '04) and three 4A east finals ('98, '00, and '02). Who can forget the famous 1971 Pennsbury-Neshaminy game? I can't because I was there.

5. Coatesville Memorial Stadium, Coatesville High School

I really wanted to rank this facility higher. It's an awesome venue in terms of huge steel stands, field, parking, multiple entrances, etc. The one big drawback is the stadium was built too far from the field. Other wise it would be up the list for sure. Coatesville has hosted multiple huge games over the years that I recall. The Manheim Central-Strath Haven 3A east final in '03, Neshaminy's big second half comeback against Coatesville in the '04 D1 semis, Liberty-North Penn in the '08 east final, and the D1 championship in '09 when Ridley defeated North Penn.

Honorable Mention:

Cottingham Stadium, Easton High School. Obviously lots of tradition, very cool setting in town. I've only been here once for the Parkland-Easton D11 championship in '03.

Phil Marion Field, Ridley High School. Again, tradition is another big component. Have seen multiple playoff games here. Always cherish the times hanging out on "the hill" with the boys having a beverage.

Falcon Field, Pennsbury High School. Stadium wise this venue is right up there. For some reason I always feel the grass field should be in better shape.

Walt Snyder Stadium, Council Rock North High School. For sentimental reasons, they have done a nice job renovating the stadium. Did host a state semi-final in '98 (CBW-Abington Heights) and the D1 championship in 2010 (NP-Neshaminy).

Crawford Stadium, North Penn High School. For a 10 year period this was the toughest place to play in District 1. The Knights hosted countless playoff games in that period.

Charles Martin Stadium, Northeast High School. This site has hosted more playoff games in the last 10 years than anyone, and it's not even close. There's a certain charm to this place. Plenty of off street parking and where else can you watch a high school game on the concourse with the patrons brown bagging it.

Stadiums that no longer exist:

The old J Birney Crum in Allentown. I'm talking about when they had bleachers on both sides of the field. Saw the first state playoff game here in 1988 between Neshaminy and Cedar Cliff.

Poppy Yoder Field, Pennridge High School.....just because. Those visitor bleachers could not get any closer to the field.
You have a great list ,I would add Plymouth Whitemarsh high school to the Honorable mention category as well as William Tennant ,both of which have hosted numerous playoff games over the years.

lilromo, I appreciate your response. I can't put either P-W or WT anywhere near the list. Remember, I'm asking for your "favorite" venues. Might as well include Souderton too. All three are way too small to host big games, but yet they always seem like default sites used by D1 and the PIAA. I know I mentioned big games played at sites on my list, but that is only one factor. Honestly, P-W might be on my list for Top 5 worst venues in eastern PA. It's not a big game site.

District 1 and the PIAA always puts basketball playoffs at Colonial Elementary School. That's an awful venue too. Always wondered what was up with these P-W facilities being used in the post-season.

Last edited:
1. Kottmeyer
2. Heartbreak Ridge
3. War Memorial
4. Ridley - cool being able to walk from someone's backyard
5. OJR - parking stinks, but neat atmosphere up on the hill

Coatesville - too far from field
North Penn - a mudpit

Let me preface my comments by stating I'm Philly born and bred.

With that being said and regardless of......

COTTINGHAM STADIUM is a Pennsylvania high school football cathedral, with all due respect to the other fine venues listed above, Friday night lights in downtown Easton is an experience worthy!!
It doesn't hurt that Easton is the all-time leader in victories for PA high school football. Huge crowds, huge band, "classic" stadium. Those iron gates depicting it's name leading into the stadium are priceless.

Don't know that I have a Top 5 but do like the old big concrete monoliths.
-Coatesville; keep waiting for a plane to land....spacious!
-Henderson; great setting right at the school (like McDevitt's old field in Harrisburg and Cumberland Valley) leg room-views, good chow, nice people.
-Charlie Martin; actually found a parking space by the gate once, LaSalle vs unbelievably turnover prone Ridley.

Also....
Kottmeyer and Garnet Valley. G-Val is just fun, friendly soccer moms everywhere (Yikes!) and everyone is pleasant or high, maybe both but friendly for sure with great food, burgers, dogs, you name it it's on the grill along the walkway and the aromas are serious, making soft pretzels seem like punishment....which they are at Strath Haven. I swear they import them from Latrobe, soaking them in that slurry water they call beer.

* Sometimes the field is nothing but the surroundings are interesting; on a hill, surrounded by hills, in a depression like a man made bowl (Glen Mills), Gettysburg, right on the battlefield in the shadow of Cemetery Hill on ground where the Louisiana Tigers charged.
* Ridley's new field is really nice, good bleachers, lighting, band. The hill is still there Relayer behind the scoreboard, good parking and concession.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT