ADVERTISEMENT

Mt. Lebanon coach resigns after 1 year

BradlyPitt

Jan 26, 2022
he said it's because they wouldn't give him a teaching job at the high school, which prevented him from recruiting kids to play football

seems like a bizarre reason to resign after 1 season, smells like BS to me

he said it's because they wouldn't give him a teaching job at the high school, which prevented him from recruiting kids to play football

seems like a bizarre reason to resign after 1 season, smells like BS to me
I know the guy personally. He was promised a job that never came to fruition. He was doing more bs red tape stuff instead of coaching at Lebo. Not being in the school was a detriment to the program.

I’m not sure what he was doing, but that team was one of the worst Lebo teams in recent memory. But it’s gotta be hard being the following coach after palko

1 - zero promises of a job. None. that is BS. 100%
2- practices were half assed and Mickey Mouse, saw no adjustments in game.
3- no discipline from top down
4- OC was barely at practice and some weeks showed up on game day with out being present during the week due to sales job.
5- head coach has a young child and his dad was not doing well. (Hope he is doing better)
6- always red tape in 6A, exaggerated. If you been there you know what comes with the hc, a lot of little shit adds to a lot of time and that all a part of the grind.

My son was on Palko staff so I was around alot and it was like night and day from Last few years to this year. Again , half assed structure, practices, preparation, adjustments, etc

He was not in the building at EF either.

There was no grind and it was easy to see that. Commitment has to come from the top. Several Assistant coaches were extremely frustrated.

Playing with the big boys isn’t for everyone.

Reactions: new2pa
I’m not sure what he was doing, but that team was one of the worst Lebo teams in recent memory. But it’s gotta be hard being the following coach after palko
probably don't have the talent... which is why Palko resigned and why Collodi resigned too

these guys always come up with excuses when they know the team has little talent and they aren't interested in rebuilding

heck Palko said he wanted to be with family when he left West Allegheny... one month later he's at Mt. Lebanon

I think he used the family excuse again when he left Lebo... then he applied at Central Catholic and then took a job far away from family with Penn State

1 - zero promises of a job. None. that is BS. 100%
2- practices were half assed and Mickey Mouse, saw no adjustments in game.
3- no discipline from top down
4- OC was barely at practice and some weeks showed up on game day with out being present during the week due to sales job.
5- head coach has a young child and his dad was not doing well. (Hope he is doing better)
6- always red tape in 6A, exaggerated. If you been there you know what comes with the hc, a lot of little shit adds to a lot of time and that all a part of the grind.

My son was on Palko staff so I was around alot and it was like night and day from Last few years to this year. Again , half assed structure, practices, preparation, adjustments, etc

He was not in the building at EF either.

There was no grind and it was easy to see that. Commitment has to come from the top. Several Assistant coaches were extremely frustrated.

Playing with the big boys isn’t for everyone.
they should target somebody like Matt Humbert as long as they give him a job, I doubt he wants to go back to the days of losing to TJ and Aliquippa now that they are back in 4A so may as well play with the big boys and accept a new challenge

I know the guy personally. He was promised a job that never came to fruition. He was doing more bs red tape stuff instead of coaching at Lebo. Not being in the school was a detriment to the program.
one thing that he said that stood out to me was he wasn't there to "recruit the hallways"

is that really something a coach needs to do at a school that won a state title two years ago? I could see it at Butler or any other school that seems to be good at every sport except football but not Mt. Lebanon

one thing that he said that stood out to me was he wasn't there to "recruit the hallways"

is that really something a coach needs to do at a school that won a state title two years ago? I could see it at Butler or any other school that seems to be good at every sport except football but not Mt. Lebanon
Absolutely it's a must to recruit the hallways

Reactions: DripDrop
they should target somebody like Matt Humbert as long as they give him a job, I doubt he wants to go back to the days of losing to TJ and Aliquippa now that they are back in 4A so may as well play with the big boys and accept a new challenge

They could of had Kim N. when Bob retired. Blew it. There was an open assistant AD position that he applied to and he did not get it. That would have been a homerun! He is the real deal. Look what he did at Union already. Shows the committment to football. School board is only interested in woke agendas. I do not anticipate a big name honestly.

probably don't have the talent... which is why Palko resigned and why Collodi resigned too

these guys always come up with excuses when they know the team has little talent and they aren't interested in rebuilding

heck Palko said he wanted to be with family when he left West Allegheny... one month later he's at Mt. Lebanon

I think he used the family excuse again when he left Lebo... then he applied at Central Catholic and then took a job far away from family with Penn State
Actually they have some nice players coming up in all classes, some good size too. The problem is they can't keep pace with PCC and NA.

I believe it is ideal but not necessary to be successful. Look what coach K. did at PR and Mars. Teaches at North Hills as you know. Lehmeier is with the Pgh Public schools.

I believe it is ideal but not necessary to be successful. Look what coach K. did at PR and Mars. Teaches at North Hills as you know. Lehmeier is with the Pgh Public schools.
You need a phenomenal support system to pull it off if you want to be really good and you're not in the building.

Lebo doesn't embrace football. The AD made it very clear.

You need a phenomenal support system to pull it off if you want to be really good and you're not in the building.

Lebo doesn't embrace football. The AD made it very clear.
Palko had a job created for him in the building. He taught 2 classes and the rest of the time was devoted to football.
Bob did not have a job created. He did not teach 2 classes. He subbed at times and filled in as a site manager (hoops, laxx). Also, coached jr. high track with Kim N. but again, no Job was created. Not even for a legend with 9 WPIAL titles. Lebo does not embrace football.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
it's very difficult to "build and maintain" a successful FB program in 2024

it's very difficult to "build and maintain" a successful FB program in 2024
esp at a "bigger school" cuz it's a massive operation, requiring lots of people- school "leadership" to "embrace" football in Pa? Sorry Soup, that's not common anymore in PA, imo. Pine-Richland, 5 years, barely "tolerated" the FB program. Now? The school leaders "kinda support it" but it's not easy- it's not "all roses"

I'd be shocked if Humbert is at BVA in 2 years. It won't be at Lebo though. Humbert is a football 1st guy. Lives/breathes it 24/7. Unless Lebo starts caring more about football instead of gender studies, then Matt will probably go elsewhere.

The school everyone has been talking about is Canon Mac. I'll be shocked if Evans is there in 2 years. In coaching circles, the C-M job is considered a high ceiling job.

Hearing Marc Gambino will be the new HC at South Fayette.

I'd be shocked if Humbert is at BVA in 2 years. It won't be at Lebo though. Humbert is a football 1st guy. Lives/breathes it 24/7. Unless Lebo starts caring more about football instead of gender studies, then Matt will probably go elsewhere.

The school everyone has been talking about is Canon Mac. I'll be shocked if Evans is there in 2 years. In coaching circles, the C-M job is considered a high ceiling job.

wow, i hope for his sake he stays at BV- not very many "football first schools" these days- and CM feels a little but like Hempfield, imo, maybe a "coach killer"

Steel - I have heard another name that has the job at South Fayette and a good one with solid staff in place but don’t want to post out of respect until it’s officially announced. I will add that the cubert seems pretty bare there talent wise, not sure on overall numbers. Going to take little time to get then back to their old days when in the smaller classifications.

I agree and think Cannon Mac has numbers size and skill. The right guy can have them rolling.

I think Evans has done a good to very good job there. When he took over they had absolutely nothing. Have heard he may have some health problems though???

Steel - I have heard another name that has the job at South Fayette and a good one with solid staff in place but don’t want to post out of respect until it’s officially announced. I will add that the cubert seems pretty bare there talent wise, not sure on overall numbers. Going to take little time to get then back to their old days when in the smaller classifications.

I agree and think Cannon Mac has numbers size and skill. The right guy can have them rolling.
I heard another name too. I also heard the candidate pool was very small.

I think Evans has done a good to very good job there. When he took over they had absolutely nothing. Have heard he may have some health problems though???
Playing devil's advocate, I've heard from some other head coaches that canon mac has underachieved considering the talent they've had the past few years. Most seem to think this job is going to open up sooner then later.

CMac problem is that they have never beaten a team that they were an underdog to as far as I know. They have to do that to get over the hump.

Of course, that's not counting their win over the underachieving 2022 SV team.

CMac problem is that they have never beaten a team that they were an underdog to as far as I know. They have to do that to get over the hump.

Of course, that's not counting their win over the underachieving 2022 SV team.
they beat USC in 2022 and they made it to the 5A title game

i do think Canon Mac should be better and there is potential at that school, but i think somebody like Matt Humbert with his resume should wait for an opening at a more traditional power school

Lebo is always highly competitive in every sport, how is anything at all affecting football success? maybe they are just going through a phase where they don't have the athletes or the best athletes are choosing to play other sports

i do think Canon Mac should be better and there is potential at that school, but i think somebody like Matt Humbert with his resume should wait for an opening at a more traditional power school

Lebo is always highly competitive in every sport, how is anything at all affecting football success? maybe they are just going through a phase where they don't have the athletes or the best athletes are choosing to play other sports
What are the most attractive 5A/6A schools?

PCC/NA/Peters/Penn Trafford/P-R (not including admin)

SV seems like a sleeping giant, but they may never awake.

Soup can chime in but I don’t remember any recent USC team being much more than hype.
New- I could be off a bit but her is what I remember…
If we are talking 2022 USC was 3-2 in conference. Lost to peters 31-0 zip that year and BP beat them handily early, they were opportunistic in playoffs. They beat BP in playoffs , BP had Caye(iup) running back who averaged prob 20-25 touches a game along with D1 athlete Petras both hurt and struggled with out them, both played in BP secondary as well. I get it that injures are all part of it and everyone has them but to me a down year in 5A overall. That team got smoked by pine in champ game.

This year 2023 they were 8-2 and did not make the play offs. Peters smoked them and BP beat them. BP was not good in 2023. All they had to to was win that game and they would have been in the playoffs and had a pretty nice bracket.

why do people think Humbert may leave BV? imo that's a bad move by him

Steel - I have heard another name that has the job at South Fayette and a good one with solid staff in place but don’t want to post out of respect until it’s officially announced.
Spieler is the new HC at SF.

He was the other name I heard of too.

I think being on Rossi's staff and the familiarity of the program is going to pay off as they transition.

Spieler is the new HC at SF.

He was the other name I heard of too.

I think being on Rossi's staff and the familiarity of the program is going to pay off as they transition.
seems like a good choice by SF, glad to hear about stability- will be interesting to see if SF can get back to the level they were a few years ago

Any new rumors for Lebo job? I got a possible "rumor" name- Alex Denison? Anyone heard that? I just checked Lebo website- nothing listed in the sports section- FB coach says "pending" and nothing listed on board agenda from yesterday- 1 or 2 months more dragging out the decision is gonna screw up the program even more- shame

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT