ADVERTISEMENT

Mars 2024

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Close the book on 2023.

Going forward, I think that Mars could be similarly good next year, but I can't see them topping the Quips or McKeesport next year from what I saw. But I guess you never know.

Reactions: Stalker
is this the Eric Kasperowitz forum?

why does everything associated with him get their own thread?

Mars is now "very relevant." In the previous 4 years, the only WPIAL team to defeat Central Valley in the post-season, was Aliquippa. I see, next yr, Mars being better in reg-season, getting the #2 seed, and playing Aliquippa in the WPIAL final next year.

Reactions: Stalker and new2pa
Threads are free. You can start your own about whatever you want. 🤷‍♂️
would you read a Ringgold 2024 thread?

they have the current longest losing streak in the entire wpial, so that makes them somewhat interesting right?

actually- I WOULD read and reply to that thread- home of Joe Montana!
Maybe if BradlyPitt has stories about Joe Montana, or could explain their downfall, I would read. They were pretty good up until the end of the Obama administration, what happened post 2016?

Maybe if BradlyPitt has stories about Joe Montana, or could explain their downfall, I would read. They were pretty good up until the end of the Obama administration, what happened post 2016?
i have some things to share now

Montana wants nothing to do with his hometown, his family visited Pittsburgh a few years ago but he stayed in the city while the rest of his family came back to Monongahela, apparently his old house was occupied by squatters

he also was allegedly paid 100k to come back when the field was named after him in 2006, he refused to come back otherwise, at least that is what I heard i can't confirm it to be 100% true

what happened post 2016? I'm not sure entirely, other than since 2018 when they started getting mercy ruled every game, the entire roster looks like it hasn't hit puberty, testosterone is somehow lacking in the district

Jorday Mayer transferring to TJ didn't help, I'm sure others left too not that I blame them because who wants to play for a team that bad? they are bad to the point they should go independent or even fold the program, why bother when you are losing by 6 touchdowns at the end of the first quarter... that's right they regularly are down by 6 touchdowns at the end of the first quarter

we had Matt Humbert as an assistant in 2009, and head coach from 2010 - 2013, they didn't give him a teaching position so he left for Belle Vernon

they had TJ Plack the head coach at Peters as an assistant in 2015, he left and was considering retiring altogether before he became coach at Peters in 2016

so clearly there is a problem with the administration, but still with the demographics it is beyond confusing for them to be this bad for this long

Those stories kept getting more depressing. Ringgold should get palko, they’d win states in 4 years
I actually mentioned that half jokingly to Mike White in his chat when he resigned for "family reasons" from West Allegheny back in 2018

Mike responded "why on earth would he take that job", and then a few other chatters made fun of me saying Ringgold should hire Mike Tomlin haha

Watched the Quip game tonight. How reasonable is this for top 6 4A teams in state.

1. Quip
2. McDevitt
3. McKeesport
4. Montour
5. Mars
6. Dallas

I know Dallas beat McDevitt last week, but that now seems like a fluke???

Maybe McDevitt was overconfident last week, though they shouldn't have been given that they narrowly won the week before. But it's also the case that bad weather, like there was last Friday night, always advantages the weaker team.

Anyone have the attendance figures for today?

Wouldn't it be something if the 6A final turns out to be the closest game?

today saw on w/twitter that EK had a post about the "Florida trip?"

New- any intell? Spring trip, or week zero? Crazy Mars is allowing this, PR did not!!

A little - from what I can tell, this is the Mars equivalent to the St Ed’s, Wayne, IMG and PH week 0 P-R games. Mars isn’t ready for that level of competition, so an arranged game at Disney is what this is. Also, Mars has a history of going to these sorts of things - just in basketball. A basketball parent told me this is the same company they used.

In other news - bigger I think - have heard that Jochem, DeVinney and Miller have all quit. Haven’t really heard why, but those are huge loses, particularly on O.

People have told me for years that Jochem was the brains behind the P-R offense. I didn’t really believe that until I saw SV and PCC the last few years with Lehmeier and Sasson. DeVinney was his guy and who was the heir apparent to the OC role. Great young coach who kept P-R alive in 2021.

Miller was the DL coach at P-R and Mars and had a similar role to Jochem on the defensive side. Excellent teacher and football mind.

Big shoes to replace for sure, but I also think that a lot of great coaches will want a place in Coach K’s staff, so I’m sure they’ll find good people.

I will try and find out more.

Did they leave to coach at another school? That’s surprising considering how long they’ve been coaching with EK.

Did they leave to coach at another school? That’s surprising considering how long they’ve been coaching with EK.

I am trying to find that out. Will post as soon as I hear anything more.

Devinney was young, starting to establish his career- most likely moving for a job- he's only like 23/24.

Jochem- my best guess is he wants to go watch his son play in college- looks like he may graduate next May, maybe his last year in college- also last year in college for Mike Katic, PR grad- and lastly- likely hoping the new Western PA coaches will give some reps to his son- maybe he will travel, so that means "dad" has more reason to travel

Miller- similar- his son Luke is playing at Duquesne- likely wants to see him play, and will def travel

These guys may also might be just tired of coaching- lots of time w headaches and minimal "rewards" and very likely 24 is last year coaching HS for EK

Reactions: new2pa
2020: What you said makes a lot of sense. I hadn't thought about any of that. I've got some feelers out and will post when I here back.

Close the book on 2023.

Going forward, I think that Mars could be similarly good next year, but I can't see them topping the Quips or McKeesport next year from what I saw. But I guess you never know.
Mars is one of the top turnarounds in the state remembering they've gone (2021-2023) 1-9, 6-5, 10-3, playing more legit D from the 2021 low of 32ppg yield to 27 then 17 last year. The offense's season ending numbers are just as impressive, going from 8 in 2021 to 32 then 37 last year.

Last edited:
Heard from some North Hills buddies that the NH OC Andrew Wyzkoski (also player under Coach K at NH) has resigned and will be the new OC at Mars.

Heard from some North Hills buddies that the NH OC Andrew Wyzkoski (also player under Coach K at NH) has resigned and will be the new OC at Mars.
interesting- thats an upgrade over Devinney, imo- Mars will be better- but it is true that Jochem is done?

2020: I guess so - haven't heard anything else. If the NH guys are right and Wyskowski is the new OC I can't imagine Jochem would give up the OC role and then work for the new OC.

But I don't know. Really all I heard was that Jochem quit for the reasons that you mentioned above.

Two bits of coaching news.

Although I originally heard Andrew Wyzkosky was going to be OC, but that ended up not happening. Still no OC from what I was told.

Also, Ben Lynch is the new DL coach at Mars. I don't really have any information besides the name.

Schedule looks very hard.

0: Florida School
1: BP
2. NH
3. Aliquippa
4. Montour
5. West Mifflin
6. Knoch
7. McPort
8. Hampton
9. Indiana

I don't know about FL school, but I'd say Mars will not be favorites vs. BP, NH, Aliquippa, McKeesport, and maybe Montour.

I don't know about FL school, but I'd say Mars will not be favorites vs. BP, NH, Aliquippa, McKeesport, and maybe Montour.
They might not be favorites vs West Mifflin either. I thought WM was underwhelming last year but there is some talk of the Barksdale brothers leaving SV. One of the places rumored to be is West Mifflin.

Two bits of coaching news.

Although I originally heard Andrew Wyzkosky was going to be OC, but that ended up not happening. Still no OC from what I was told.

Also, Ben Lynch is the new DL coach at Mars. I don't really have any information besides the name.

Schedule looks very hard.

0: Florida School
1: BP
2. NH
3. Aliquippa
4. Montour
5. West Mifflin
6. Knoch
7. McPort
8. Hampton
9. Indiana

They're typically overshadowed by more consistent teams in the Orlando area but a big school at 7A; the largest class with Florida returning to the 1A thru 7A classification this year. Super stiff comp that part of state. They return a lot from last year's 5-6 team. I imagine Coach K will have them ready.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT