ADVERTISEMENT

La Salle

Just because La Salle deserves their own thread, always!

JB,
How did you like the new turf field and facilities upgrade? I see where they're re-sodding the adjacent field as well with plans to turf Flannery field next (with lights and stands approved).

The faithful has been very quiet regarding the upcoming football season. I realize many of the "pundits" have spoken this pre-season with the trophy already awarded? The schedule is again a beast, if they stay relatively healthy, John and Dom should field a competitive squad. No doubt their line play should be an asset, guess we'll see how the newcomers integrate..

btw... I see where Anthony Piscopo has enjoyed a nice summer representing the U.S.A. overseas in wrestling tournaments, not sure he's returned home and practiced with the team yet? Great kid, wonderful family.

Last edited:
The on campus turf fields can only help the kids; speaking to some underclassmen today (freshman and sophs) they are very excited to be able to practice and play games on campus, on turf!

This season will be an uphill climb but anything worth winning is worth fighting for (or something like that). My own feeling is they will probably exceed expectations a bit in their play but it may not reflect in the W - L columns. As you said, the schedule is quite demanding.

Piscopo is in Bosnia this weekend representing the USA in the World Wrestling Championships; kudos to the young man for a job well done!

With that, I go back into retirement from Pa Preps.

Turf does looks nice, team does not. 1st scrimmage was really, really bad. Offense looked like a junior varsity CYO program and it was the most undisciplined defensive effort I've seen from them in years. I know it was the first scrimmage and everyone will say I am overreacting but my prediction is they will not win 3 games this year. Some of the losses will be the worst in school history. Mark my words, I'll be here to remind everyone all season.

No reason their offense shouldn't be good this year. They return good skill kids and added two high profile ones via transfer. The OL is pretty much all back. Now, I don't expect the Qb play to be Shurmur-like, and not having the Gordons to handle that position isn't the best of things, but Ferguson (Jones; maybe wildcat) should be at least decent. No? Defensively, they have struggled some recently, especially against the good teams on their schedule, so we'll see if they can restore some order here. They should still be a smart, fundamental bunch. Granted, very, very tough schedule, but I'd like to think they'll eclipse that 3-win prediction.

Turf does looks nice, team does not. 1st scrimmage was really, really bad. Offense looked like a junior varsity CYO program and it was the most undisciplined defensive effort I've seen from them in years. I know it was the first scrimmage and everyone will say I am overreacting but my prediction is they will not win 3 games this year. Some of the losses will be the worst in school history. Mark my words, I'll be here to remind everyone all season.

Didn't realize it looked that bad Murph? Surprised about the D comment, John's still there!

New QB, New OC.... Idk, maybe will take some time, there's enough talent on this team to have a decent year(recent LS standards), IMO..

We'll see how they look today..

The culture has changed and it was evident on the field. The maniacal attention to detail and the attitude that anything less than perfect execution was not at all evident. LS won a lot of games over the last decade when they had much less talent. They did that by out scheming and out executing other less advanced programs. Their expertise allowed them to win games when they were overmatched athletically. Those schemes are non existent now and while they have a few solid players they will not be put in positions to excel like in years past. There were countless examples of this last week. The playing field from a coaching stand point is now even (at best) and the players aren't there. Add that to other changes, a VERY unproven QB, a tough schedule and new head coach and it is a recipe for disaster, or in LS's case, a 3 win season.
As for JS, it will be very interesting to see what happens but we all know some people are better being the guy behind the guy.

The culture has changed and it was evident on the field. The maniacal attention to detail and the attitude that anything less than perfect execution was not at all evident. LS won a lot of games over the last decade when they had much less talent. They did that by out scheming and out executing other less advanced programs. Their expertise allowed them to win games when they were overmatched athletically. Those schemes are non existent now and while they have a few solid players they will not be put in positions to excel like in years past. There were countless examples of this last week. The playing field from a coaching stand point is now even (at best) and the players aren't there. Add that to other changes, a VERY unproven QB, a tough schedule and new head coach and it is a recipe for disaster, or in LS's case, a 3 win season.
As for JS, it will be very interesting to see what happens but we all know some people are better being the guy behind the guy.

Murph,
Would agree with that assessment to a certain degree. Last year OOC Bergen Catholic, DeMatha, McDonogh School, and Wood(up front) were athletically superior teams resulting in only the 7 pt. loss to BC.
Idk?... wasn't at scrimmage today. Early indications are we have plenty of work to do. We'll see how the season goes, may have to win some games ugly. i.e. PCL champ final, circa '06

btw.. seeing #5 DeMatha tearing apart #2 Miami Central on ESPN. Oh brother..

Last edited:

It may well be a transition year but 3 wins is an absurd prediction. I'll bet the over all day against anyone who wants some action.

I'd predicted 2 wins yesterday; forget the past, it's a new day!
One of those wins will NOT be DeMatha for sure. They were on tv yesterday against Miami Central #2 National ranked team and they waffled them. They are big ,fast and deep . I wish LaSalle luck ,but !!!!

LaSalle's six NL games are difficult. I can't say for sure that they win any of them, but the only I'm counting as a definite loss is DeMatha. My gut is that they are at least slight favorites vs NP & PSB. Malvern looked good the other day, but I'm not sure how talented that St. Rita's team is. Wood will be tough and McDonogh is usually pretty good.

On paper, LaSalle will be stronger than both Roman & Judge. I think that's two wins there and then another in PCL 4A semis. So, there's three. I just think it's very unlikely they don't win any other games. A basement type year for them should be no worse than 5-6 or 6-5,

Jeez boys, lets have a "little" faith here..

Yes, schedule doesn't lend itself to sub-par performances that would lead to victory, but I believe this coaching staff will figure it out. I'm hopeful they will figure it out!! Regular season W-L record is essentially irrelevant. All 4 PCL AAAA teams make playoffs, where they are end of Oct.-beginning Nov. is all that matters. If they struggle all year and progress is not observed, there maybe a reason for doubt.
I remain optimistic the new OC can utilize probably the best line they've had collectively in years coupled with a enough skill people and a physically capable yet inexperienced QB to eventually make something productive. Was it demonstrated in the scrimmages, not to expectations, but... Defensively, John's been able to structure lesser overall talent into a respectable unit. Will it be the '09 defense that sweep thru states, no, but a 'bend don't break' maybe satisfactory. That's been their Achilles heel last 2 yrs.
Idk, I'm more concerned about the "culture" Murph has eluded to, that's a collaborative effort from the coaches and players. We'll see, Crawford Stadium will be the 1st test.

Ahh, there we go, Huck has some reason for optimism!!

LaSalle's six NL games are difficult. I can't say for sure that they win any of them, but the only I'm counting as a definite loss is DeMatha. My gut is that they are at least slight favorites vs NP & PSB. Malvern looked good the other day, but I'm not sure how talented that St. Rita's team is. Wood will be tough and McDonogh is usually pretty good.

On paper, LaSalle will be stronger than both Roman & Judge. I think that's two wins there and then another in PCL 4A semis. So, there's three. I just think it's very unlikely they don't win any other games. A basement type year for them should be no worse than 5-6 or 6-5,

Finally a sensible post on this topic - I agree with Huck that you can lock in 3 wins vs. Roman & Judge, including 1st round PCL playoffs. Between North Penn, Pennsbury & Malvern, I think they get 2 wins. They beat McDonogh last year so there's no reason to think they can't at least compete against them this year. They will be underdogs vs. SJP, Wood & DeMatha but I'm not willing to write off all 3 games.

Only time will tell but if the last two weeks are any indication I am spot on. LS was worse yesterday than they were the week before. Don't lose sight of my culture comment, things have changed and it will impact wins/losses. He are things I've heard from more than a few people - intensity in practice is way down, attention to detail is gone and players/asst coaches are already questioning new OC's philosophy.

They will split with Roman/Judge and get one win out of NP, Pennsbury and Malvern. Maybe they win a playoff game for the 3rd. Take a breath cause this next comment is going to hurt:

Dematha and Wood will be 30 point losses. These were very tough gms last year for Dematha and Wood. Both of those games were shootouts in which neither team could handle LS's offense. That won't be the case this year and LS's D will be exposed just like last year.

Prep will be 40 pt loss if LS is lucky. Imagine what Gabe will be able to do when he doesn't have to prepare for the gordons.

I agree the regular season is irrelevant but until someone proves they can challenge the Prep the playoffs are irrelevant as well.

If I'm wrong I will be the first one to get back on this site and admit it but I doubt that will be the case.

Reactions: lilromeo
Any word on how they fared in their scrimmage Friday. St Augustine looked really good the week prior against Roman.

Quit with the prognostications and get on with the season. See you at NP on Friday night. Oh boy oh boy oh boy!!!

And just as a side note to situation at LS, no one, not one offensive player on any of Gordon teams liked dealing with Brett. The QBs, the receivers or the Oline. For whatever reason, they didn't like the way he did business even though he was good at what he did, if that means anything.

Classic Post. "Quit with prognostications," but let me speak on behalf of hundreds of former players I don't know.

I wonder if those same players like winning championships, beating SJP and becoming better football players?

Prep almost mercy ruled them last year, so I don't think that prediction is far off

How does the result from a single game last season in any way validate the prediction of a 3 win season? Also, the first game vs SJP was a 4 point game.

How does the result from a single game last season in any way validate the prediction of a 3 win season? Also, the first game vs SJP was a 4 point game.

I was referring to his prep prediction. Exactly, the first game was. Shows how some teams improve more than others as the season goes on, which has been the narrative for SJP

Classic Post. "Quit with prognostications," but let me speak on behalf of hundreds of former players I don't know.

I wonder if those same players like winning championships, beating SJP and becoming better football players?

Murphman, don't get mad at me. I was just responding to all the people who apparently know how the atmosphere has changed since the start of the new coaching staff's tenure. I just wanted to make sure they knew what the situation was while it was going on. I'm sure they did like winning the Championships, beating Prep and becoming better football players. Just didn't like the messenger!

Sounds like the kids you were referring to grew up with their parents telling how great their participation trophies were and when they got to a higher level they weren't good enough to play so the kids followed in the parents footsteps and blamed the coaches. The same coaches who orchestrated the championships, beating SJP and helping them get better.

Stop it will ya. Oh will I hurt the Gordon's feelings or anybody elses. No!! So what if they didn't like their boss. Do you like your boss?? These kids started and played on the Championship teams so in answer to your question, no they didn't turn tail and blame anyone. Grow up, they're not gods.

I'm kind of curious about something. What was the overwhelming reason for the Gordon's to leave the program? I was under the impression that they were frustrated with administration and with the inability to get the types kids they needed to match SJP. If that is inaccurate then please correct me.

Anyhow, if that is true, then I find it ironic that in the first offseason they land two talented, dynamic transfers.

I'm kind of curious about something. What was the overwhelming reason for the Gordon's to leave the program? I was under the impression that they were frustrated with administration and with the inability to get the types kids they needed to match SJP. If that is inaccurate then please correct me.

Anyhow, if that is true, then I find it ironic that in the first offseason they land two talented, dynamic transfers.

Huck,
I think your impression is totally accurate. When the Prep went "all in", LaSalle hierarchy (as it is perceived) was either hesitant or unable to match.

It is ironic though, Madden and Jones would have been to Gordon's liking. So was Swift(big time!), and we all know how that went down. Shame for us..

Last edited:
Show's what all the professional theorists know.

Paul,
If the perception is inaccurate, no one including the principles have been very forthcoming, then perhaps you can enlighten us w/o damaging any ego's?

As to your Brett Gordon comment... every offensive player hated dealing with ... C'mon, no one more "respected" on that staff.
Was he a tough task master, damn right!! Those 6 of 7 PCL titles were won on the talent level at hand (not always the best) and superb execution. Isn't suppose to be a love fest..

Last edited:
Why should the principle address anything. Who are they going to tell, Jim Gardner of Action News? When this Gordon thing went down last year, everyone including a lot of the Prep guys (Roxy for one) were throwing out scenarios like they knew what they were talking about. How the administration wasn't backing athletics like in the past. How they disrespected the Gordon's. Even got into arguments about other championships like baseball and swimming and how the administration was hell bent on reigning in football. And now, as Burr mentioned, they have two talented transfers. Yesman, I don't have a clue but neither does anyone else on this board. Just sayin'.
And I am in total agreement with you about Brett Gordon. Respected yes, they don't win those championships without him. But liked? As you said it's not a love fest. So what did I say that was wrong?

Last edited:
Paul,
If the perception is inaccurate, no one including the principles have been very forthcoming, then perhaps you can enlighten us w/o damaging any ego's?

As to your Brett Gordon comment... every offensive player hated dealing with ... C'mon, no one more "respected" on that staff.
Was he a tough task master, damn right!! Those 6 of 7 PCL titles were won on the talent level at hand (not always the best) and superb execution. Isn't suppose to be a love fest..
For the record, there were six--not seven

Im picking North penn to pull the upset vs. Lasalle. Saw NP vs. CB West last Thurs and NP looked very explosive on O with the transferr QB from CBW. NP had a great rb and fb and with everyone saying how bad Lasalle has looked so far this will be NP year. West looked like a midget football team

Why should the principle address anything. Who are they going to tell, Jim Gardner of Action News? When this Gordon thing went down last year, everyone including a lot of the Prep guys (Roxy for one) were throwing out scenarios like they knew what they were talking about. How the administration wasn't backing athletics like in the past. How they disrespected the Gordon's. Even got into arguments about other championships like baseball and swimming and how the administration was hell bent on reigning in football. And now, as Burr mentioned, they have two talented transfers. Yesman, I don't have a clue but neither does anyone else on this board. Just sayin'.
And I am in total agreement with you about Brett Gordon. Respected yes, they don't win those championships without him. But liked? As you said it's not a love fest. So what did I say that was wrong?

Paul,
You're a LaSalle man, won't disrespect you.

That's why I used the words "I think" and "perceived/perception" as did Huck..... and as you stated, no one REALLY knows as the principles even in private have elaborated to few.

Its not a theory and its not irony. The admissions head at LS and Gordon Sr. didn't get along. That is no secret. It is also not a secret that the same admission director played for JS and coached under him. They have a very close relationship so no one should be surprised that they picked up a few transfers as soon as he took over. Not saying anyone did anything wrong just that the relationship will aid the transfer situation. Does that mean the administration is now behind the football team? Only time will tell. Better happen quickly or those transfers will become transfers again.

OK, enough with the speculations. How about the game with NP? I see it as a defensive one. Low scoring with a La Salle win 17-10

OK, enough with the speculations. How about the game with NP? I see it as a defensive one. Low scoring with a La Salle win 17-10
I am rooting for LaSalle since Im a PCL guy ,but they will have to score 28 to beat North Penn IMOP. NP can really run the ball this year.

I can see your point but I'm going with the idea that Steinmetz is a defensive guy and he'll have a game plan to shut NP down. The two transfers will play a huge part in this first game. The running back from CHA and the all around guy from GA will plug some holes left from last year's graduates but will it be enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT