ADVERTISEMENT

John Reid

newport

Nov 22, 2002
Any word on the severity of his injury? Can they afford to sit him for a week if its a sprain or something of that nature and still get by Parkland? If hes out extended time, how does that impact Preps chances to defend the title?

Was about to ask the same thing. Heard from a friend who is close to some prep family members that it was a dislocated kneecap. Can anyone confirm?

Ok. My bad.. Thank you for clearing that up. Wish the kid a quick recovery whatever the injury is.

His offensive threat deep can't be understated. Agree with Tulla on his abilities defensively to force.

As I mentioned on different thread even is worse case scenario holds true, don't think it greatly alters Prep's title hopes. Plenty of talent and playmakers remain on this year's squad. Don't see where there are any teams remaining in the 4A playoff picture who possess a passing attack that could significantly exploit his absence. As for leadership role, senior laden group with plenty to support. IMHO..

It didn't look good on the replay on TV. I'm sure MRI is coming. No doctor here, but I have a bad feeling on this one.

In most such cases a simple x-ray will tell you all you need to know.

Out of respect for Reid and any other player injuries we should keep speculation, non-expert opinions and third party stories to a minimum.

Originally posted by 2loudNclear:
Out of respect for Reid and any other player injuries we should keep speculation, non-expert opinions and third party stories to a minimum.
I don't see what the big deal is. Players get hurt playing football. It sucks and is unfortunate. No one is disrespecting anyone. I saw the play, I watched the replay, and like many have watched a ton of football in my life. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to form an opinion on what you saw. Trust me, I wish 500% that my initial opinion is wrong and he is out there playing next week or soon after. I don't get the respect thing. No one disrespecting John Reid by commenting on what they saw. At the end of the day the only opinion that counts is the doctor's. I hope the best for John.

I agree with Huck. It was on tv a lot of people saw it and it didn't look good. The reason I wrote what I heard is because I thought giving the video a dislocated kneecap would have been good news, compared to other injuries that it looked liked he may have suffered, and most likely he would be able to return at some point in the season. Again no disrespect intended but this is a football board and people are interested in the player and whether or not he can play again this season. I think everyone so far as shown concerned for the player and wished a healthy recovery.

fKD. I know there was no disrespect intended but here could be a bunch of high school players siting on the other side of these post. I have always disagreed on discussion of injuries unless they have been confirmed. These are high school kids and I just think it shouldn't be discussed. One mans opinion .

Huck-

Agreed ... I don't think anything has been egregious ... Can't avoid the obvious ... Let's just hope for the best regardless. He has always carried himself with dignity.

Gentlemen, this board is at its best when the voices of the posters are raised with sincere, well-intentioned appreciation and concerns for the young men who have sacrificed and given years of their lives to this high school sport we all love.

Every single program has dedicated players and coaches and deserves the same respect that we are showing to John Reid. This old heart of mine received a lift to see the consensus and support for this special young man.

Would that this appreciation and respect for all the coaches and players continues through the rest of this exciting playoff and championship run.

Best wishes for a healthy outcome for John Reid.
This post was edited on 11/24 8:32 AM by respecter

I wish the young man the best in the world and hope he's healthy enough to be out there next weekend.

As for not discussing it, Reid knows more about it than all of us combined since he's got the insight of the doctors treating him so I doubt a bunch of two bit opinions on a message board matter to him at all.

Yesman, IMHO, he's the best player on the field when he's out there; there is no way that SJP is just as strong a team without him. That said, your premise that there is plenty of talent remaining to win it is true.

Thanks JB, you understand where I am coming from and I felt the same thing about the Rinella conversation.

To the discussion that this team is still as strong without Reid. That would be a bit of a overstatement and I don't think yesman meant it that way. I think he was referring to the opposing teams compared to SJP without Reid.

There are couple of things to keep in mind with Reid! In the secondary, Reid is the epitome of "a rising tide raises all boats". His ability to cover so much field and any receiver on the field allows SJP to roll the dice on so many of their blitz packages. His coverage skills are outstanding and he makes the balance of the secondary that much better. Offensively, he is there go to guy! Clements will go through his progressions and find Reid late at any point in the play .I am sure he knows where he is every play and that could be an issue. Reid and Montague are really the only receivers SJP have and all the other players are backs and converted defensive players. As much as SJP depends on their run they can burn you at anytime with their passing game with Clements to Reid. He is a difference maker!

This post was edited on 11/24 12:16 PM by 2loudNclear

Is Terrence Green (#24) hurt? Also, is Tom Johnson available for Saturday? If he is, that'll be a big help.

Originally posted by newport:
Any word on the severity of his injury? Can they afford to sit him for a week if its a sprain or something of that nature and still get by Parkland? If hes out extended time, how does that impact Preps chances to defend the title?
Bone Bruise..

I see that Reid put that word out himself through his twitter feed. A new world. He also says "good chance I'll be back." Here's hoping, though maybe it's too much to hope it'll be this week.

Outstanding news!! He has to bright a future to risk it on a game this week.

I just read that a bone bruise can take up to 2 months to heal, but at least there is no structural damage.

Bone bruises vary in severity. It would be the very rare one that could heal enough in a week or so for someone to be able to play football--and a rare one that could take a full two months.

Going just on Reid's tweet, he was likely told by the doctor who examined him and looked at the images that there's a chance he could return if the Prep goes on--but that's just my optimistic speculation as a former GP and a Prep fan.

2lNc/JB,
That is exactly what I meant. No disrespect to Reid's importance, I believe he's the MVP of that team.
To clarify, my thoughts are if Prep plays the way they did against our LS boys in the PCL final, NO ONE will take them down this year. Don't see any of the remaining 4A teams being able to exploit Reid's absence if evident. To much talent remains IMO.

....and no disrespect to the remaining 4A squads, this is why the games are played. Some had similar thoughts of LS-Coatesville 2 years ago. LS lost 3 impact players( 6 starting positions) early and Coatesville played a fabulous game jumping out early and hung on, you never know. Don't know much of the remaining West teams but IMO it's Prep's title to lose.
My best to the Reid boy on a healthy return, I recall his Fr./So. years when he took his lumps vs. LaSalle, seems like a fine upstanding young man from what I read.

Any chance PSU tells Reid to shut it down for the next 3 weeks, assuming he can even play and st joeys is still alivec?

That would really help Franklin recruit in Pennsylvania in future years.

Good news for the young man; whether he's back this week, this month or next season at least it's not as dire as it had seemed.

Get well JR.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT