ADVERTISEMENT

Joe Henrich Out at Bethlehem Catholic

RoverNation05

Aug 22, 2010
This morning, Joe Henrich resigned as the head coach at Bethlehem Catholic, effective immediately. From the release he put out on his Twitter account, it does not sound like it was his decision. "After a series of meetings with administration it became clear that I no longer had their full support. We just could not agree on how we got to where we currently are and how we were going to move forward. Sometimes in life you must make a decision you really don't want to make, but as you put everythign into perspective you realize, that decision, is what is best for everyone."

Henrich finished 67-41 at Becahi. Hired in 2011, Henrich went 3-7 and 1-9 in his first two years, then won District 11 3A titles in 2013, 2014 and 4A titles after the class split in 2017 and 2018. His 2017 and 2018 squads advanced to the Eastern Finals, losing to Imhotep Charter. In 2015, the Hawks went 9-2 and won the EPC North, but were upset in the D11 3A finals by Saucon Valley. His teams won 10+ games in 2014, 2017, and 2018, though fell to 7-5 in 2019 and 4-4 this season. Henrich took a leave of absence for health reasons in 2016 and interim coach Kyle Haas (now at Northampton) led them to a D11 title and the Eastern Final for the first time since 2000.

I had heard rumors last offseason that Henrich was nearly fired. This wasn't a marriage that was going to last. Becahi hired a new athletic director last January to replace longtime AD Mike Grasso. New AD Chris Domyan was a defensive lineman on the 1990 Becahi state championship team and I think has very clear expectations for what Becahi football should be (Grasso is about the nicest guy in the world, but a total pushover). For all of Henrich's success, his teams struggled playing against similar talent, had discipline problems, and have started to struggle acquiring talent now that Notre Dame is rolling in 3A. I also think there were a lot of lingering feelings around the Valley that Kyle Haas did a much better job with the 2016 team and Becahi's administration saw what the possibilities could be with a better head coach in place.

Frankly, the best move they made with Henrich was making him the Admissions Director for the school when he was hired as the football coach. You can see a really clear line of delination in 2011 at Becahi athletics in general when he was running the department. But his biggest strenth by far was talent acquisition, but you always felt his teams didn't quite get where they could.

This opening could be a seismic shift in the power structure in the Lehigh Valley. The biggest name to watch is Jason Roeder at Freedom. He is a Bethlehem Catholic alum and was the defensive coordinator on those great late 1990s, early 2000s teams. He's taken Freedom to four D11 title games in five years, which is about as good as you can make Freedom. He's super locked in to Bethlehem football - he's really locked in to the youth programs and has helped coaching development at lower levels that has paid dividends for his school. Would he jump to his alma mater, where the ceiling is much higher? He can get all of those Bethlehem Bulldog kids to Becahi plus anybody else who would want to play for him (which I'd imagine is a long list). Something to watch.

The other big name that could be in the mix is Phil Stambaugh, the head coach at Notre Dame, who has said he wants to always coach at a Catholic school. ND has made a huge athletic commitment, starting with hiring Stambaugh when Pius X closed (ND was an afterthought for its entire history until he got there). He's a Lehigh grad and Becahi is a bigger schoool and bigger job with more tradition than ND. Would he make the jump?

Other names that may be considered off the top of my head are Bret Comp (former state championship winning coach at Wilson, offensive coordinator at Parkland, now back at Wilson helping his former player Chris Labatch as his QB coach), Matt Evancho (former Saucon Valley coach and Comp's DC at Wilson, currently not coaching), Matt Cohen (position coach at ACC, was on Becahi's staff from 2010-2016 and was an All American at Lehigh). I'm sure there are other possibilities that I can't think of right now, but that's what my initial gut tells me.

Reactions: Aragorn
When you say you could see his impact as Admissions Director, was that school-wide or just with the football program? If he was driving enrollment at a Catholic school, I find it hard to believe they wouldn’t want to keep him. Did he leave his job at the school also? Rover, do you see any other D11 jobs opening this offseason?

I mean Bethlehem Catholic's athletic program has exploded since they put their football coach in charge of admissions. I don't know about their enrollment, but their message has been "come play for us" and it has worked. The athletic program is very much the front porch of the school. And they've been getting great athletes. Since 2011:
  • Girls Basketball won seven straight D11 titles from 2013-20 with two state titles and three state finals, first D11 titles since the early 1990s.
  • Boys basketball has won their only three D11 titles since the 1996
  • Wrestling is a consistent top 10 program in the country and has won 7 dual and 6 tournament state titles since 2011 (though Jeff Karam was hired in 2009). Hadn't won a team title since the 1979 and had just one individual champ since the 1988.
  • Softball has won 5 D11 titles and have been to four state finals and won two state championships (Rich Mazza had them as a local power, but did nothing on the state scene until 2011)
  • Boys volleyball has won its first four 4 D11 titles and a state title
  • Football won 5 D11 titles and went to three state finals 4s - first since 2001
Henrich moved from Admissions Director to Assistant Principal in 2017, I have no idea if he is going to stay there after being ostensibly fired as the football coach. I'd think he wouldn't want to give up the job (given how districts are presumably on an administrative hiring freeze for a while) but there is also an awkward element staying in the building, since he made the move from the Emmaus schools to Becahi because of football.

William Allen just came open a week or so ago, I meant to write about George Clay retiring but didn't get around to it. I'd need to crystalize my thoughts, but I'd say Allen has more potential than outsiders think, but to get them to that potential would take a decade long investment, and I'm not sure there are coaches in this day and age willing to do that there. The success of their basketball program shows you that its possible, but football is a different animal (this can be a separate thread if you're interested because I have thoughts).

There are not a lot of other schools in a position to come open. A ton of places just hired in the last year or two, and there are a lot of coaches, particularly at smaller schools, who are pretty intrenched.

The two that are interesting are Easton and Liberty. I'd obviously like the Easton job to open, but I do not think that is in the cards. John Truby is 37-40 at Liberty and hasn't won a postseason game since he was hired in 2013. Liberty was the best program in the Valley in the 2000, but it's been a major struggle since Tim Moncman left. They made a weird hire when they replaced Moncman with Dave Brown and after that flamed out they hired Truby as a 30 year old, I don't think he was ready or set up to be successful.

I know their principal a little (Harrison Bailey, who was was an All American defensive end at Lafayette and is still their all time sacks leader) but don't have any real info in what higher ups would be thinking. Bethlehem is also a weird district structurally because Liberty and Freedom are all run by a single administration (I know one of Tim's major gripes was that both schools just had one AD and reporting and lines of communication was a nightmare - this just got changed and Freedom got their own AD in the last five or six years) so I'm not sure who or what would be the drivers behind the decision.

From the outside, a change would be really defensible at Liberty. They've won a state title more recently than a lot of schools you'd consider powers, there is no reason they should be such a disaster. It's the biggest school in District 11 and the sixth biggest school in the state that plays football. It has feeders and it has history. If I was running the show, I'd try to make a move for Andres Morales, who was the captain of Liberty's 2005 state finals team, played at Rutgers for Schiano (he was Ray Rice's fullback) and was an assistant with Moncman and Parkland and Roeder at Freedom before starting the major 7-on-7 program in the area. I also think he'd be in play at Bethlehem Catholic (maybe the front-runner if Roeder doesn't want to jump ship) but I think he could make an immediate impact somewhere.

Well, right on cue, Luby is out at Liberty.

Seriously? I haven’t seen that yet.

Is this the Hoagie Morales sweepstakes? I think he’s gotta be the front runner at Liberty, and would be choice 2 at Becahi after Roeder.

Rover I don’t want to be a jerk at all but I think you may be a little off base here. For one Hoagie is not thought of highly at all in the Lehigh Valley especially amongst EPC football coaches. My personal opinion is that Liberty is going to draw current head coaches in the EPC South. Beca is actually in a very bad situation enrollment wise, in fact most people believe that Beca will close or merge with ND in the next 2 years as both ND and ACC enrollment are significantly better than Beca. That is what happens when you sell your soul for athletics traditional “Beca” families are leaving in droves as the school has become mercenaries. One thing to keep an eye on at Liberty is Tim Monceman. Parkland arguably handled COVID worse the any other EPC school, Harrison Bailey and Tim Monceman were teammates at Lafayette. Parkland is not the place people think it is anymore. My other guesses for Liberty Senneca, McGory, Ronalds, Henrich, and the far fetched one is Melosky who lives in Bethlehem is on the Bethlehem City Council planning commission, my guess though is his health isn’t good and he has two young kids. Beca I think will be an inside job Kelly, Beller, Dorn all former head coaches on staff, and the OC Searfass is in the building. This has been coming down the pike for a while with Henric. He was demoted this summer from his position in the school. Also one name to consider is ACC assistant John Toman successful HC at Solehi for a long time.

I know Liberty is a massive school. What are the reasons for the recent struggles? Have BECA, ACC or any of the privates been plucking their prospective players?

Rover I don’t want to be a jerk at all but I think you may be a little off base here. For one Hoagie is not thought of highly at all in the Lehigh Valley especially amongst EPC football coaches. My personal opinion is that Liberty is going to draw current head coaches in the EPC South. Beca is actually in a very bad situation enrollment wise, in fact most people believe that Beca will close or merge with ND in the next 2 years as both ND and ACC enrollment are significantly better than Beca. That is what happens when you sell your soul for athletics traditional “Beca” families are leaving in droves as the school has become mercenaries. One thing to keep an eye on at Liberty is Tim Monceman. Parkland arguably handled COVID worse the any other EPC school, Harrison Bailey and Tim Monceman were teammates at Lafayette. Parkland is not the place people think it is anymore. My other guesses for Liberty Senneca, McGory, Ronalds, Henrich, and the far fetched one is Melosky who lives in Bethlehem is on the Bethlehem City Council planning commission, my guess though is his health isn’t good and he has two young kids. Beca I think will be an inside job Kelly, Beller, Dorn all former head coaches on staff, and the OC Searfass is in the building. This has been coming down the pike for a while with Henric. He was demoted this summer from his position in the school. Also one name to consider is ACC assistant John Toman successful HC at Solehi for a long time.

Not being a jerk at all - you've got better perspective on this it sounds like that I do, I'm just spouting off my thoughts.

My question on Hoagie - does your rep amongst EPC coaches matter if kids like you and want to play for you? Take a straw poll of how people in the Valley feel about Matt Veres, he has been despised for a long time. Easton didn't hire him largely because of his rep. Didn't stop Notre Dame from hiring him and immediately twelve national caliber kids have transferred in over three seasons and they're one of the best teams in America. Hiring Hoagie seems to be like the move if you're trying to solicit (or keep in Liberty's case) talent in and around your city.

Would Moncman leave Parkland? I know they were super cautious about COVID and played less than anybody, but that's also a once in a lifetime situation? Parkland is the best job in the Lehigh Valley - everything is there. I get Harrison being a positive as a principal to work with - he's one of the best people in Lehigh Valley education, period, and also a football guy who Tim has a long relationship with. That just ended so ugly the last time around and while it's not all of the same people, there are still certainly a lot.

Would Senneca jump after one year at Whitehall? I know he was on Tim's staff at Liberty and his dad is obviously a longtime Bethlehem guy, but he literally is just getting started at Whitehall. I have the same questions about McGorry, which are exacerbated because he's a Central alum. McGorry has also built a pretty impressive staff at ACC, he seems like he's pretty set up.

Kevin Ronalds would make a ton of sense (for either job) as would Toman. I forgot about Kevin when I was listing off possibilities. I don't think Melosky's health is in a position to be a head coach again, and I think he'd have to take a huge pay-cut by stepping down from the administration job at Pocono Mountain - I don't think he could do both.

I agree that there was no surprise on Henrich, I was hearing from people last offseason that he was out, I was kind of surprised he lasted this year. I didn't realize the in-school job change was a demotion, but makes sense. I'm always skeptical of in-house hirings when it's a change of direction you want. From their internal guys, Kevin Kelly would make the most sense to me.

Last word on Bethlehem Catholic - their mission has clearly been to "sell their soul for athletics" as you put it. At this point, don't you kind of have to double down? Becahi only offers I think 6 APs, that's way less than the surrounding public schools they're trying to compete with academically for high end kids - for comparison's sake, both Liberty and Freedom offer 23. You've got one hand tied behind your back hiring teachers because you pay them half as much, so your advantage isn't a tremendous faculty. The average class size is 20 kids, that's good, but a lot of places ballpark that. There are no ESL services in a city that is increasingly Latino, cutting you off of a large potential source of students. The best reason to go to Bethlehem Catholic is "all of the other kids on my club or AAU team are going to go there and we're going to win a lot of games" which they have clearly embraced over the last decade or so, which has pissed just about everybody off in the rest of the Lehigh Valley.

That's actually why I think Hoagie would be a fit, so many of their coaching hires in all sports have been about tapping into club or AAU teams - hell, they just merged their own wrestling club with Seth Ciasulli's Red Hawk and put Seth on staff as a "special assistant" who doesn't really go to practices and and I don't think gets paid - Becahi just sends their high school kids to Seth in the offseason (as paying customers) and Seth sends his middle school kids to Becahi. It's not subtle.

Not being a jerk at all - you've got better perspective on this it sounds like that I do, I'm just spouting off my thoughts.

My question on Hoagie - does your rep amongst EPC coaches matter if kids like you and want to play for you? Take a straw poll of how people in the Valley feel about Matt Veres, he has been despised for a long time. Easton didn't hire him largely because of his rep. Didn't stop Notre Dame from hiring him and immediately twelve national caliber kids have transferred in over three seasons and they're one of the best teams in America. Hiring Hoagie seems to be like the move if you're trying to solicit (or keep in Liberty's case) talent in and around your city.

Would Moncman leave Parkland? I know they were super cautious about COVID and played less than anybody, but that's also a once in a lifetime situation? Parkland is the best job in the Lehigh Valley - everything is there. I get Harrison being a positive as a principal to work with - he's one of the best people in Lehigh Valley education, period, and also a football guy who Tim has a long relationship with. That just ended so ugly the last time around and while it's not all of the same people, there are still certainly a lot.

Would Senneca jump after one year at Whitehall? I know he was on Tim's staff at Liberty and his dad is obviously a longtime Bethlehem guy, but he literally is just getting started at Whitehall. I have the same questions about McGorry, which are exacerbated because he's a Central alum. McGorry has also built a pretty impressive staff at ACC, he seems like he's pretty set up.

Kevin Ronalds would make a ton of sense (for either job) as would Toman. I forgot about Kevin when I was listing off possibilities. I don't think Melosky's health is in a position to be a head coach again, and I think he'd have to take a huge pay-cut by stepping down from the administration job at Pocono Mountain - I don't think he could do both.

I agree that there was no surprise on Henrich, I was hearing from people last offseason that he was out, I was kind of surprised he lasted this year. I didn't realize the in-school job change was a demotion, but makes sense. I'm always skeptical of in-house hirings when it's a change of direction you want. From their internal guys, Kevin Kelly would make the most sense to me.

Last word on Bethlehem Catholic - their mission has clearly been to "sell their soul for athletics" as you put it. At this point, don't you kind of have to double down? Becahi only offers I think 6 APs, that's way less than the surrounding public schools they're trying to compete with academically for high end kids - for comparison's sake, both Liberty and Freedom offer 23. You've got one hand tied behind your back hiring teachers because you pay them half as much, so your advantage isn't a tremendous faculty. The average class size is 20 kids, that's good, but a lot of places ballpark that. There are no ESL services in a city that is increasingly Latino, cutting you off of a large potential source of students. The best reason to go to Bethlehem Catholic is "all of the other kids on my club or AAU team are going to go there and we're going to win a lot of games" which they have clearly embraced over the last decade or so, which has pissed just about everybody off in the rest of the Lehigh Valley.

That's actually why I think Hoagie would be a fit, so many of their coaching hires in all sports have been about tapping into club or AAU teams - hell, they just merged their own wrestling club with Seth Ciasulli's Red Hawk and put Seth on staff as a "special assistant" who doesn't really go to practices and and I don't think gets paid - Becahi just sends their high school kids to Seth in the offseason (as paying customers) and Seth sends his middle school kids to Becahi. It's not subtle.

I’m curious to know if Truby stepped down on his own accord? I know a few folks (all Easton people) who tell me winning isn’t the top priority at Liberty football anymore. Take the info with a grain of salt, but these folks are usually pretty accurate in regards to football in the Lehigh Valley.

I’m curious to know if Truby stepped down on his own accord? I know a few folks (all Easton people) who tell me winning isn’t the top priority at Liberty football anymore. Take the info with a grain of salt, but these folks are usually pretty accurate in regards to football in the Lehigh Valley.

From his quotes he gave to the morning call, it sounds like he stepped down on his own because he realized he couldn’t win there. They had a feel of “I’ve tried my best, it’s time somebody else gives it a shot.”

And I think that was part of why Tim left, isn’t it? That there was push back for a lot of the above and beyond stuff they were doing - the off-season stuff, the extra staff they fundraiser for, trying to get kids PE scheduled adjsted to support the lifting/conditioning program, etc. That athletic program as a whole has taken a real step back recently, outside of their baseball and wrestling programs, which both had long continuity with Pitsilos and Karam, who are both as good as anybody in the state at what they do and have been there long enough that admin left them alone. Karam obviously is at Easton now, but he had a hand in picking Brandon Hall to replace him, who is also great.

Rover, why did Moncman leave Liberty for Parkland? Was it more due to issues at Liberty or the allure of resources at Parkland?

Rover, why did Moncman leave Liberty for Parkland? Was it more due to issues at Liberty or the allure of resources at Parkland?

So Tim took a bunch of time off between Liberty at Parkland. He resigned at Liberty after the 2009 season for a combination of things. First and foremost, his son is blind and was starting school, and I think the Moncman family prioritized their time to getting him set up, accustomed, and supported in the classroom in a way that working 80 hour weeks as a football coach wasn't going to support.

I also have always heard that there was friction between Moncman and the higher ups at Liberty about the invovlement the football program required. He asked for a lot, whether it be use of facilities, outside coaches who weren't teachers (Berwick great Bo Orlando was his defensive coordinator, for example), priority scheduling, etc. that wasn't always met with warm regards. Now, he also delivered a lot, but I think some of those relationships started to wear thin.

Moncman dipped back into coaching in 2011 when he joined close friend Bret Comp on Wilson's staff as their defensive coordinator. That offseason, Jim Morgans (a legend in his own right) brought Moncman in to be the DC at Parkland for 2012. I think being a coordinator at an LVC school again let him be back around football without the demands of building and sustaining a program, and he obviously stuck around at Parkland (their streak of 6 straight D11 titles started when Moncman was hired as an assistant). Then when Morgans retired after 2015, Moncman was ready to run the show again - his son older and established in school by now, and Moncman set up in a pretty good spot to succeed Morgans on the heels of their state finals run.

The information I got today on Liberty is The candidates so far are Melosky, Toman, Ronalds, Moussa, a Northampton Asst, and Senneca. I have not a word about Beca.

The information I got today on Liberty is The candidates so far are Melosky, Toman, Ronalds, Moussa, a Northampton Asst, and Senneca. I have not a word about Beca.

That is a really strong pool. I'm assuming the Northampton Assistant is Nick Artinger, who was the DC at Becahi when Haas was the interim and brought him over (Freedom grad if my memory is right). Across the board, I think it would be an upgrade, I'd be inclined to lean towards Kevin Ronalds if I was making the decision - he built a really good program at Palisades, which is a weird place to win, and he also was the last head coach to have success at William Allen. In a vaccuum, Melosky is the clear top choice, but between his health and the fact that he's Rob Melosky makes it more complicated.

I'm a little surprised about Ramie Moussa and Matt Senneca, only because they've just been at their current jobs a year. I think that's kind of a bad look. Senneca obviously is a link to those great Moncman teams and his dad was Mr. Bethlehem athletics for a long time. Is Whitehall just a less attractive job than I think it is? Moussa inherited a really good situation at Palisdes from Ronalds - it's kind of the opposite at Liberty, which is tough for a young coach.

As an Easton guy, it's also jarring how much better and deeper this candidate pool is compared to ours in 2016.

Rover, who do you see as the most likely favorite in that group? Any word on BECA opening? Does the amount of interest in the Liberty job surprise you? How about the “apparent” lack of interest in BECA?

Hey Rover the info I was told about about Liberty candidate wise is as follows. Toman, Ronalds, Melosky, Walter (ESS), Joe Botteleri, Henrich, Northampton Asst, and I quote “I high profile Head Coach in the EPC South” I do not know who that is.... I have yet hear much coming out of Beca, have you?

D11 - I don’t see Toman being a fit. Would he plan on coming to Liberty and running a Wing T? Melosky is probably the most qualified. I wonder how his health is? I hope he is doing well. Henrich seemed to consistently underperform at Beca. Those candidates certainly are not overwhelming. Liberty appears to be a nice job if you can turn out the numbers within the school. I guess I am a little surprised more coaches in the area weren’t interested.

I would agree Southern Lehigh and Liberty are very different places. I’m told Melosky is campaigning hard for the job. He is certainly the most qualified. I don’t know this to be true, but I’d assume he needs a job in the building as he can’t be an administrator at PM and be the head coach at Liberty. Henrich I don’t see... maybe this mystery candidate is someone big... but I don’t see any of the current EPC South coaches leaving. The Walters guy is an up and coming guy but he’s very young.

If you go through the list of the south...

Parkland Monceman why leave Parkland, I personally don’t think it’s the premier job it used to be but quality of life teaching at Parkland better than Liberty.. but a maybe I guess

ACC McGorry I have to agree with Rover here, he’s not leaving.

Whitehall Senneca same as above... he does teach in the district but he has maybe the best Whitehall team in a long time coming back, possibly a league contender and certainly a district champ

Emmaus Fairclough if I were Liberty this is who I would go after...again I don’t see leaving the cushy teaching job. He lives in Emmaus pretty invested.

Freedom Roeder no way

Nazareth Falzone I have a hard time believing that. Back to back district titles at what a lot people are calling the new parkland.

Easton Braido he is an Easton guy and prob on hot seat at Easton quite honestly shocked he made it into the off-season without being let go

It is a pretty well coached league in general looking at that list... but I can’t see any of them leaving.

Sorry, was off here and missed some of the fireworks.

I don't hear much from Becahi until after when the gossip seeks out, don't really have sources inside the building. It looks like they're announcing Kyle Haas today as their new head coach. I know when he was the interim, there was a lot of disappointment, from both him and some administrators, that Henrich was coming back after his leave of absence and taking the reigns back from Haas. So I'm not stunned that he's the successor, I think he liked Becahi and Becahi liked him. They certainly had their best year of the Henrich era with Haas as the head coach, and he's really improved the Northampton program since he's been there - the schedule change helped in terms of pure W's and L's, but they're a lot better, more organized, and schemed up. Will be interesting if Artinger follows him to Becahi, or if he is the successor at Northampton.

I don't know if it was a relative lack of interest at Becahi, if Becahi was just more tight lipped, or they knew they wanted Haas and that's why they made the move. I don't think they have to post jobs in the same way a public school does and they can be a little more back-room with how they operate.

As far as the Liberty job goes, I don't know if Toman is a terrible fit. Yes, he likes to run "some version of the Wing-T", but he also had multiple all state quarterbacks at Southern Lehigh who went to FCS programs. He's not afraid to throw it around, even if he uses some of the motion and option concepts from the Wing-T. Southern Lehigh is very different socioeconomically and demographically from Liberty, which would be an adjustment on his part, but he's a good football coach.

Matt Walters from East Stroudsburg South would be somebody to watch if he's in the mix. Because of the pandemic, they didn't get to show it, but they were awsome this year, and he's built some really good teams since taking over for Ed Christian (and coordinating their offenses before taking the head job). He's an ESS grad, so he may want to stay up there, but he's a young up and comer. Going from the smaller school route, Kevin Ronalds also could win at Liberty, that would not be a misfire at all.

Joe Bottiglieri had a really good stretch at Emmaus and at one point I thought he was going to be Steve Shiffert's successor at Easton (he's an alum). Most of his other experience is in college (William & Mary, Lehigh, I think he was the head coach at Shippensburg), and he's gotta be pushing 70 years old at this point? If he wants to get out of college and come back to the Valley, I think it'd be as a coordinator emeritus rather than being a head guy somewhere.

If you go through the list of the south...

Parkland Monceman why leave Parkland, I personally don’t think it’s the premier job it used to be but quality of life teaching at Parkland better than Liberty.. but a maybe I guess

ACC McGorry I have to agree with Rover here, he’s not leaving.

Whitehall Senneca same as above... he does teach in the district but he has maybe the best Whitehall team in a long time coming back, possibly a league contender and certainly a district champ

Emmaus Fairclough if I were Liberty this is who I would go after...again I don’t see leaving the cushy teaching job. He lives in Emmaus pretty invested.

Freedom Roeder no way

Nazareth Falzone I have a hard time believing that. Back to back district titles at what a lot people are calling the new parkland.

Easton Braido he is an Easton guy and prob on hot seat at Easton quite honestly shocked he made it into the off-season without being let go

It is a pretty well coached league in general looking at that list... but I can’t see any of them leaving.

Looking at the list, the most likely high profile guy looking at the job would be Matt Senneca. Leaving Whitehall after a year I think is a bad look, but his intangibles fit (teaches at East Hills, used to be an assistant, lives in Bethlehem, dad coached in Bethlehem for generations).

Out of curiosity, why the downgrade of the Parkland job? I have noticed there has been some brain drain on staff, particularly with guys moving over to McGorry's staff at ACC.

Nazareth certainly has the money that gets associated with Parkland and has had good youth programs pretty much across the board for as long as I can remember. But male enrollment of 1,176 vs. 643 is a stark difference though, and will always be the limiting factor at Nazareth (unless they lose 60ish kids and drop to 5A, when they could put together a state contender). But Tom is a small-school guy and I think pretty content. As I've said before, Nazareth is a really good place to work in athletics.

Easton is the only program that would have Braido as their head coach, but if Liberty wants him, I wish Jeff the best and look forward to competing against him every year.

If Rob Melosky is really looking to get back to coaching, would he go to his alma mater (where his dad coached in the late '80s and early '90s) and take over Northampton?

That would make a lot of sense for Melosky. RE: Braido, what is Easton’s outlook for 2021? It looks like it may be tough sledding with the losses of Adams and Jackson. Am I correct that they are both seniors? What say you Rover?

That would make a lot of sense for Melosky. RE: Braido, what is Easton’s outlook for 2021? It looks like it may be tough sledding with the losses of Adams and Jackson. Am I correct that they are both seniors? What say you Rover?

I hear Easton’s quaterback is going to transfer, any news on that?

Where would he go? That is typically not a good sign for a current staff when players are heading for the doors.

I should add that I heard about the transfer a few weeks back. I don’t know how true the info is, but I did hear it from more than one person. I can also add that no one knew where he was transferring to.

I hear Easton’s quaterback is going to transfer, any news on that?

I haven't heard anything on that, which doesn't mean that it isn't happening. There are already two quarterbacks in that class at Notre Dame (Quintano went to ND as a freshman, and Peyton Cosover transferred after fall camp last year when Transue beat him out). Seems like there is not room there for snaps. Luke Thomas from Becahi transferred back to Whitehall - presumably that job is open?

This year the expectation was they were the favorite in D11 6A, then were probably going to take a step back in 2021. Obviously that didn't happen, as they finished with their first losing season since 2002.

They'll be built around Marcus Williams in 2021 on offense. One of the frustrating things about this season was how well Williams performed after Adams got hurt - he only had 8 touches before Adams' injury, and it became pretty clear that some of the offensive struggles could have been resolved by working Williams touches to take the heat off of Adams. He's a track star and should be one of the best all purpose backs in the Valley. If Transue stays, he's a three year starter at QB, but he took a major step back after a promising sophomore season. The best kid on their offense might be Sean Wilson at tackle, who played receiver/tight end on the way up, but played left tackle this year after hitting a growth spurt to 6'4 255 as a 10th grader. Good athlete, light feet, and if he keeps putting on good weight could be an FBS kid.

Defensively, they get crushed by graduation in the front 7. Williams and Kyle Evancho were both all conference in the secondary, but there's a lot of filling in around and in front of them.

My expectation would be there are some talented pieces, but they'll go 4-6 or 5-5 in a full year, depending on how some other teams in the league reload.

Thanks for the insight Rover. I understand all the connections between admin and Braido make it tough for them to move on. What is the alumni’s general feeling? Will they pressure the admin to move on after another bad year or two?

Express-Times had a big article today about the Liberty opening. Lot of the names being mentioned here (Toman, Melosky, Walters, seem to be the focus). It also adds that Walters is a teacher at Northampton, which I did not realize, and that may be a job he's interested in if he leaves ESS. Only names that were different than the ones here were Phil Dorn, the DC at Bethlehem Catholic and former head coach at Catasauqua and Levi Brown and Jeremy Shuler from the current staff.

I did not realize that Brown was currently on Liberty's staff. It would be a big swing - Brown is only around 30, but played offensive and defensive tackle on the state championship team and was a three year starter for Moncman, then was an All Big East defensive tackle and Temple and got a cup of coffee with the Ravens in the NFL. I don't know him personally, but a lot of people I know think very highly of him. Giving a guy that young the reigns of the program is a risk, but there's upside here.

Shuler I think is the only assistant left from the state title team in 2008. I'd assume that's a courtesy interview for longevity, but he's not a serious candidate.

Thanks for the insight Rover. I understand all the connections between admin and Braido make it tough for them to move on. What is the alumni’s general feeling? Will they pressure the admin to move on after another bad year or two?

In alumni circles that I'm in - lots of weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth. That also tends to be a group that's a little more spread out geographically and less directly involved in the program beyond giving money every year. But Braido also has a lot of allies from being a good guy and in the program for 33 years now including his playing days. He's a likable guy, and Easton good ol' boy, and that goes a long way in this town. Steve Shiffert neither shook hands nor kissed babies, and that hurt him in the long run, while that is Jeffs best skill.

There's also what I'd call decentralized power in the football alumni base. There are so damn many of them, it's not like wrestling where Phil Richards can say "I'm going to stop funding the junior high program if this BS doesn't stop" and then suddenly Jody Karam is the new head coach instead of a group of parents installing Steve Mytych. I don't think any one person or group of people can make that kind of power play in football.

Liberty recommending Shawn Daignault for the head coaching job. He was Kyle Haas's DC at Northampton (so it was Daignault, not Nick Artinger who was the Northampton assistant). Northampton was his first high school job, before that he was a defensive assistant at Middlebury, Penn, Trinity, Stony Brook, and Moravian (which is what brought him to the Valley).

There's no doubt he knows football, he's pretty highly regarded scheme wise with what he's done at Northampton defensively - we'll see how he is at running a program on his own.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy
This seems to be a nice upgrade. It’ll be interesting to see Liberty’s progress over the next few years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT