ADVERTISEMENT

Is Prep overrated ?

cover.. you stole my thunder...

Beck past his prime.. if the only way you rate a team is by winning a state title.. then 99.9% of every coach in every state is past their prime... 2011 state finals, last year districts finals.. this year a contender of the district finals.. his O has gone through a complete change... sending 3 and 4 receivers .. using the run to set up the pass and the pass to set up the run...plus he is even concerned about our global footprint and energy conservation... not one player that has to commute from South Jersey on the roster..

Last edited:
Well old neshaminy coach took becks philosophy of can't beat em join em and went to imhotep and won a title since he couldn't get it done at neshaminy. I give beck credit as he has played the LaSalle's, prep and woods and has taken his beating and stays for more. Honestly, watching his team closely, he is morphing/ changing right before our eyes, with coaching staff changes, input and philosophy ie spread, passing game, bubble screens, double screen etc. Has changed his tendencies somewhat, not as predictable. As clichés go, sometimes it's not about the X's and the O's but the Jimmy and the Joe's .
Agreed. As an NP fan I can tell you Beck has adapted. It took him a little while but he is using his players to their strengths. This is evidenced by the fact their starting running back is averaging 8 yds per carry but isn't having 100 yd rushing games. The old Beck based everything off the run. Also, the QB isn't running to the sidelines after every play. There are still some things he needs to work on but I can see improvements.

Reactions: green_beans
I guess Lasalle was not satisfied with their results of the home grown 2 sport athletes...Based on recent transfers....

Oh I forgot, Lasalle transfers are not recruited just Prep's, Wood's, Tep's etc...

Res ipsa loquitur...

Were you not capable of comprehending the statement, it's facts and conclusion?

Res ipsa loquitur...

Were you not capable of comprehending the statement, it's facts and conclusion?
LaSalle does a great job developing talent, FACT.
LaSalle recruits just as much as SJP, FACT.
LaSalle doesn't get all of the players they recruit, FACT.

LaSalle does a great job developing talent, FACT.
LaSalle recruits just as much as SJP, FACT.
LaSalle doesn't get all of the players they recruit, FACT.

1) No argument
2) Certainly not since Infante's arrival, and not being a criticism to either school.
3) Must not be many at all then?, certainly not D1 potential level athlete. If so, then your #1 wouldn't hold.

Going in circles here, someone get the Meclizine!! Again, aside from Shurmur, who was a family transplant gift, 2 (two) Div.1 scholarship (non-FCS) players since '08, one of which a punter.

SJP80, despite being a mostly arrogant s..t, makes one astute observation. Better to have the Hobsons, Gannons, Runyans, Reids, Swifts et al of the world than not.

You can have the cookies, wafers and wine. From what I hear at North Penn udinski walks on water !

As a former CYO football coach I can tell you that I had Gordon at multiple practices and games to talk to some of our kids.
I can also confirm that one of LaSalle's coaches reaches out to CYO commissioner weekly for a schedule of games so they can have people attend.
I can confirm that LaSalle recruited and lost to the Prep on some kids. I know for certain that kids like Rinella, Eubanks, Headon, Meachum, Herron etc. were all recruited to LaSalle. I could run on and list 15-20 kids on the current roster that were also recruited but no need to, you get my point.
I'm not taking anything away from LaSalle's coaching or player development. Those guys can flat out coach and they have a phenomenal program there. I'm just stating that it is a fact that they also recruit.

Reactions: TDjones22
@yesman3
you can recruit a "stud" 8th grade player who turns out to be a very good high school player and simply doesn't have the ability to play division 1 football.
I.E. Herron was a stud 8th grade QB turned into a GREAT HS WR.
Charles Headon was an incredible 8th grade do it all football player who simply didn't grown another inch afterwards and ended up at a Division 2 school for college.

1) No argument
2) Certainly not since Infante's arrival, and not being a criticism to either school.
3) Must not be many at all then?, certainly not D1 potential level athlete. If so, then your #1 wouldn't hold.

Going in circles here, someone get the Meclizine!! Again, aside from Shurmur, who was a family transplant gift, 2 (two) Div.1 scholarship (non-FCS) players since '08, one of which a punter.

SJP80, despite being a mostly arrogant s..t, makes one astute observation. Better to have the Hobsons, Gannons, Runyans, Reids, Swifts et al of the world than not.
Damn.....I was going for completely arrogant a**

Reactions: yesman3
@yesman3
you can recruit a "stud" 8th grade player who turns out to be a very good high school player and simply doesn't have the ability to play division 1 football.
I.E. Herron was a stud 8th grade QB turned into a GREAT HS WR.
Charles Headon was an incredible 8th grade do it all football player who simply didn't grown another inch afterwards and ended up at a Division 2 school for college.

Very good post CYO. Although Herron was a better baseball player that got money from Duke. I'd say a really good example of that was "Ralphie" from NP. My son's team played his in CYO ball and he was a monster. Still a monster in High School. Didn't get many offers. Lost track of him after that. Where did he end up going?

And why wouldn't it make sense for the state to have a non public division? Would that championship not be enough for all these Alpha dads?

Well old neshaminy coach took becks philosophy of can't beat em join em and went to imhotep and won a title since he couldn't get it done at neshaminy. I give beck credit as he has played the LaSalle's, prep and woods and has taken his beating and stays for more. Honestly, watching his team closely, he is morphing/ changing right before our eyes, with coaching staff changes, input and philosophy ie spread, passing game, bubble screens, double screen etc. Has changed his tendencies somewhat, not as predictable. As clichés go, sometimes it's not about the X's and the O's but the Jimmy and the Joe's .

No one at Neshaminy wanted Schmidt back. I witnessed his behavior on the sideline against Wood last year and it was a disgrace. If we were playing a drinking game on every F bomb barked out by this guy we would all have needed stretchers to leave the field.

Last edited:
1) No argument

I believe Jim Morrissey Freshman Walk-on at PITT who's getting time... Zaire Franklin was the 4th Soph captain in Syracuse History was LB of the week, he went to LaSalle. Maybe you forget Bret Gordon at Nova who threw for almost 10k yards, most of there top football athletes play other sports and Play D1, Herron at Duke (Baseball) Rambo at Maryland (LAX)

1) No argument

I follow you with the Latin, but you lost me at the Meclizine. JD does not equal MD.

I believe Jim Morrissey Freshman Walk-on at PITT who's getting time... Zaire Franklin was the 4th Soph captain in Syracuse History was LB of the week, he went to LaSalle. Maybe you forget Bret Gordon at Nova who threw for almost 10k yards, most of there top football athletes play other sports and Play D1, Herron at Duke (Baseball) Rambo at Maryland (LAX)

I don't think it was clear where the staring point was in thinking of players who went on to play D1. Some included the last 10 years or more of the last century--hence Gordon, Costa, Hobson, etc.-and others were thinking mainly of the last 10 years or so.

Thinking just of this century, the Prep and LaSalle (though they may seem to have been constantly battling each other and only each other) have really been doing so only in 2008/09 and the last four years. From 2000 to 2007 the Prep was much better than LaSalle every year--even the year LaSalle won in the extraodinary upset (2006). Nearly everyone would say that was a case of "if they played 10 times, it wouldn't have been close in 7 and LaSalle would have won just the once." That being said, it was a great LaSalle victory. The Prep lost championship games in 2000, 2004 and 2007 but they were never to LaSalle and most years LaSalle wasn't even the third best team in the Red Division. LaSalle was the better team by close but clear margins in 2008 and 2009 and then the Prep had two very down years after Brooks left. LaSalle was a whole lot better. From 2012 to 2015 they were clearly the two best teams with only 2014 being a year when one was a good bit better.

Anyway, the distinctly different histories of the two programs over the last 15 years or more may be a reason the numbers of players they've had who went on to play in D1 are so different,

My Lord, help me!!!!:confused:

What aspect of the English language is not understood here???

Div. 1 (non-FCS) scholarship football players since '08

btw.. Franklin was the other. :)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT