ADVERTISEMENT

Is Prep overrated ?

ramgreen

Oct 18, 2004
Last night I finished watching the Prep vs. Wood game and as I was watching I kept saying to myself this doesn't look like the great team ALL have spoken about (yes, I know Swift didn't play much). Everyone has them punched in as State Champs but I was at the Pennridge game vs. North penn this past Friday night and I think at this time North Penn is the better team. Preps Qb did not impress me with his throwing or his running and I give a big edge to the NP QB who makes all the throws to a fast group of 4-5 receivers. Im looking forward to when these two teams meet. I will say that my team the Rams looked very inept on D

Ram

I have been going back and forth with the prep-wood game.. and not sure what to think.. I have been wondering if playing on national TV, the TV time outs etc throw both teams off?? not sure what to think..

I was at the NP-PE game also.. your FB looked like a wrecking machine.. he ran well up the middle.. not sure why the coach kept trying to go outside..which is NPs strength...for a while he looked unstoppable (heard he's a really nice kid also - a good friend of mine is a teacher at PE.. said very positive remarks about him.. the kind that would make his mom and dad proud) .. the other play that I think really hurt you was the 4 and a half yard.. if he was going to go for it.. why did they run out of the gun.. it took away the FBs ability to get any speed generated or adjust to where he wanted to hit the whole.. that could have been a game changer if they made the 1st down.. I think NP would have still won.. but it would have been a much closer game..I thought NP would struggle a little against PE O line at times..you have some big kids on the line..

Last edited:
Last night I finished watching the Prep vs. Wood game and as I was watching I kept saying to myself this doesn't look like the great team ALL have spoken about (yes, I know Swift didn't play much). Everyone has them punched in as State Champs but I was at the Pennridge game vs. North penn this past Friday night and I think at this time North Penn is the better team. Preps Qb did not impress me with his throwing or his running and I give a big edge to the NP QB who makes all the throws to a fast group of 4-5 receivers. Im looking forward to when these two teams meet. I will say that my team the Rams looked very inept on D

It'seems funny I was at North Penn/Pennridge as well, I came away unimpressed with North Penn. Qb is very good and definitely can make plays on his own. How does North Penn match up with SJP speed? I'm pretty sure SJP will be able to run inside or on the perimeter. Qb for SJP did not have his best game, no doubt. As far as SJP being overrated I'm sure that will play itself out. At present Don Bosco is 1-3, Oaks Christian 3-2 and give up over 50 points a game, Wood 1-2-1, and Carroll was just simply over matched. I'd take SJP over North Penn today and that includes SJP without Swift. If he's healthy it's a 3 touchdown contest. This game is many weeks away if it evendors happens!

I think North Penn is the best team I've seen so far this year. I can't wait to see how fast they are on turf Friday night.

Reactions: green_beans
Typical suburban one point of view.
I'll take SJP over NP today, tomorrow, next week with or without Swift.

Reactions: exr001
Typical suburban one point of view.
I'll take SJP over NP today, tomorrow, next week with or without Swift.

I would have to agree whole heartedly with CYO. Don't forget SJP has done a ton of traveling and then when they come back they're placed on a National game of the Week. Give these guys a break and you'll see what you're missing.

As I have stated in the past I'm an NP grad, fan and life long resident of the district (ouch that makes me feel old)... and as much as it kills me to say this.. I would have to give Prep the W if they play NP at this point in time... not so much because of Swift..don't get me wrong...he's a great player..but Beck has a history of containing one player teams..but Prep doesn't look like a one trick pony...

Both schools have big play makers... but the differences is in the trenches.. I looked at Preps roster and the size of their line would make some colleges jealous..

Unless NP could figure out a way to keep pressure off the QB and be able to contain Prep's run blocking it could be a long day for NP..

Hopefully they play each other in the playoffs.. that would be one of the best games in the area in a very long time..

Here is my prediction. This topic will continue to pick up some steam on the way into the PIAA playoffs. At some point if NP and SJP cross each others paths the game will not be that close. All Suburban 1 supporters will revisit this post to complain about open enrollment, recruiting and all of district 12's unfair advantages.
Déjà vu.....

NP is very good and should win D1, but they beat a down LS team, and Pennsbury team that is beyond struggling, and a Pennridge D that has given up a ton of yards and 38 pts avg in 3 losses....From what I read D-east had their chances... And CB West just lost to Bensalem....Can't even compare those teams to Oak's Christian, CA QB going to USC, Don Bosco is 1-3 because they play a national schedule and their Elite 11 QB is going to Syracuse. Wood is 1-2-1 because they tied Wayne, NJ ranked #1 in OH (max preps), and Bergen Catholic Ranked #1 in NJ (max preps), and Prep ranked #1 in PA.....
Prep will need to play better.. But some, not all, was the level of competition, pressure up front and speed in secondary that wood has that forced play, and NP has not seen and probably won't see until Prep....

NP is very good and should win D1, but they beat a down LS team, and Pennsbury team that is beyond struggling, and a Pennridge D that has given up a ton of yards and 38 pts avg in 3 losses....From what I read D-east had their chances... And CB West just lost to Bensalem....Can't even compare those teams to Oak's Christian, CA QB going to USC, Don Bosco is 1-3 because they play a national schedule and their Elite 11 QB is going to Syracuse. Wood is 1-2-1 because they tied Wayne, NJ ranked #1 in OH (max preps), and Bergen Catholic Ranked #1 in NJ (max preps), and Prep ranked #1 in PA.....
Prep will need to play better.. But some, not all, was the level of competition, pressure up front and speed in secondary that wood has that forced play, and NP has not seen and probably won't see until Prep....
EXACTLY! Oaks would outscore everyone of North Penn'state opponents and Wood and Bosco would blow all them teams out

So much for trying to be civil here... As long as were making predictions..if they played... and say by some miscarriage of justice which would be bigger then the upset of Rocky over Applo Creed...and NP won...I predict that the prep supporters on this board have the a bigger melt down than when they lost to laSalle last year..

Déjà vu.....

North Penn may score some points on St. Joes Prep because they are more multiple than I can remember in past years. However, Prep will score at will on North Penn that day simply because you cant sit in one coverage or shell against the Prep and expect to win. Prep will pick that apart as they did against North Penn the last two times Infante faced Beck. It will take some major injuries to McCray, Swift or both in order for North Penn to pull this upset off if and when this game is ever played. Parkland, Spring-Ford and Neshaminy might disagree with this conversation if they continue to play really good football.

No one from D1 respects D12 teams until the state playoffs start and they lose.

...and often big!

I like Beck as his prior history was to play the better PCL teams in the area, not avoid them. He's taken a pretty good beating from Prep, LS and Wood over the last several years but he has the courage to challenge his squads.

That being said, NP finally broke through and beat a "down" (from their prior standard) LaSalle team for 1st time in regular season and 2 out of 9 overall? Bosco maybe off their standard level as well but doubt anyone from D1 would get within 10-14 pts of them, IMO.
Anyone out there who wants to cross country and line up against Oaks Christian Academy and Don Bosco on consecutive weeks, be my guest..
Beating any top team from the North Jersey Union league is a feather in one's cap, LS gave Bergen a few tight games over last several years but couldn't come out on top.

If Prep is healthy and focused, don't see anyone on this side of the State being a favorite against them, would argue same for the West side. Would expect a good portion of their remaining scheduled games to be played with a running clock. Thought the Wood game was an aberrant display from a usually well disciplined O, sure tackling D team. Wood had their undisciplined stretches as well, along with Devlin's usual malfeasance of time-out usage. The loss of Swift early probably jolted them somewhat but when they re-grouped in 2nd half, the big plays were mostly theirs and won the game with some comfort.

Just my opinion..

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo
Prep 48-14. Saw bosco game, prep physicality would overwhelm NP. Np hasn't been smacked in the mouth yet. As above east and neshaminy may have something to say in the near future.

This is the best offense NP has had in many years. That said, The Prep is a well rounded machine and IMO will be a 2 touchdown favorite. I see no way NP stops Preps running game with or without Swift.

All good comments except from the people who haven't seen either team and just have an opinion because they 'know it all". This is high school football and we will have to wait till late, late, late to see if NP and Prep meet. My guess is they will but Neshaminy may have something to say about that

Last edited:
The Prep will have competition from the west side of the state if they make it to Hershey. Not sure why everyone thinks they're gonna walk to a state title. The two candidates I'd say that would likely meet them there would be Pitt Central Catholic or Pine Richland. PCC can match their size in the trenches (entire offensive line is D1), and pine Richland has one of the best offenses in the Wpial and state and only lost to Saint Edward out of Ohio, the defending two time state champ, by one point on ESPN. Not trying to descredit SJP, but just saying.

Just a note here (from the West Coast) Oaks Christian is 3-2 on the year. The three teams they beat have a combined 4-9 record. Oaks has also given up the following points in their five games: 70, 62, 55, 49 and 14 (one was OT so that could account for some of "it").

Their defense is suspect and the teams they beat are not that good this year (their offense has scored 17, 63, 63, 62 and 21).

West Coast Offense!?!?

The point is that St. Joe's really wasn't challenged by those guys and they kept their offense in check giving up just 14 (overall the Hawks do have a demanding schedule).

Curious?

Where can I read people suggesting that SJP will walk to a state title?

A little early isn't it coming down hard on either side, NP or SJP....and by the way, Neshaminy? Still playing football in the EPC-South too right?
I don't have a horse in the race but if truth be told, OC and DBP have had stronger teams. I don't mean to imply they're dogs. OC's Qb is over 1700 yards passing with a receiver near 800 in crazy Cal where they win 60 to 54 and think nothing of it. I'm talking the big boys....Centennial, Mission, Mater Dei, JBP, etc.
And DBP (1-3) is still one of the best teams in Jersey. But who knows where they'll be in 6 weeks with all of them a twisted ankle or two away from oblivion.

Here is my prediction. This topic will continue to pick up some steam on the way into the PIAA playoffs. At some point if NP and SJP cross each others paths the game will not be that close. All Suburban 1 supporters will revisit this post to complain about open enrollment, recruiting and all of district 12's unfair advantages.
Déjà vu.....
I know I shouldn't get into this stuff, but seriously?

First let me say unequivocally, I think SJP is the best team in the state, and I don't think it is close. North Penn is having a great year, and North Penn, Neshaminy, Perk Valley are all interesting teams. Anyone of them can win District 1, although I think North Penn has a definite advantage on the defensive side of the ball, and at QB.

That said, to deny the advantage those schools that can recruit have over those bound by district boundaries is huge. And yes I know that the suburban schools have kids from Philly attending using a relative's (or friend) address, and not just for sports, sometimes it is just to get out of the city environment (my son has a friend from North Philly who graduated from Neshaminy. Thank you grandparents. They cannot compete on a recruiting level that the private schools can and to say otherwise is a joke, and a bit disingenuous.

I have virtually no hope of my Redskins ever winning the state title again, so District crowns will have to do. It is a shame because that 2013 Skins team probably would have beaten PCC (a recruiting team) in the state finals were it not for that behemoth SJP.

Yes SJP beats North Penn by several scores.

Why doubt that your Redskins can win it again? Didn't that superstar recruited team from LaSalle lose to a public school with boundaries last year and to another a few years before that? People forget that these young men still line 11 players up across from each other every plan and with the right coaching and game plan it is still a possibility.

Don't laugh at Bensalem. The only bold prediction I'll make in this thread is the Owls earn their first ever district playoff birth. They're already in the top 16 and can win 4 out of their last 5. Even going 3-2 they finish 6-4 and that should get them in.

Does Bensalem have kids on their team that were injured or not on the team to start the season. I saw them play in August and then just saw highlights last week and I do not remember some of those kids.

You've got to play the games ... On any given day ... Things tend to roll in cycles ... Time will tell

The Prep will have competition from the west side of the state if they make it to Hershey. Not sure why everyone thinks they're gonna walk to a state title. The two candidates I'd say that would likely meet them there would be Pitt Central Catholic or Pine Richland. PCC can match their size in the trenches (entire offensive line is D1), and pine Richland has one of the best offen ses in the Wpial and state and only lost to Saint Edward out of Ohio, the defending two time state champ, by one point on ESPN. Not trying to descredit SJP, but just saying.
jack, The 2 teams that I mostly heard about walking to the 6 A championship earlier in the year were PCC and Pine-Richland,not st.Joes. I know PCC got smoked by a very good St Johns team and I watched the Pine-Richland /St Eds game . Jurkovic and his main receiver are two of the best I have seen in awhile, but St Eds is not the St Eds of the last 2 years and they will not get to the finals this year. They had a decent RB and that's it, Neshaminy, North Penn and Perk Valley will battle it out in D 1 . I do believe that the Prep will square off against PCC in the championship game unless an upset occurs. That game if it happens should be a serious firestorm.

Perk Valley still has to go to Royersford next Friday night. That game will have 9K in attendance and be another great atmosphere for both schools. PV is legit, but does have some holes on both sides.

HS football is all about match ups. The 2013 Skins were very impressive and gave SJP all they could handle. Coatesville in 2012 was probably the best Coatesville team in 30 years when they beat
LaSalle. It can happen any given year, but not most years. In a Pub School, you need two classes of great athletes in their junior and senior years. That doesn't happen all that often at a lot of schools. NP may have their best team in a while. SJP still has the edge from what I have seen and heard

Time will tell...

IronMarshall -

I'm expecting the 'Skins to get Gold again. Heck - just three years ago a single play really turned the St. Joe's contest (and that was a Neshaminy team averaging 60 yards passing a game). And I agree that PCC was "beatable" that year.

I know you're a true believer and so ... Go 'Skins!

PS Yes - I have been watching all the hype that it is NP v SJP - yada, yada, yada (I'm letting the season play out -- and may the best team win).

Don't laugh at Bensalem. The only bold prediction I'll make in this thread is the Owls earn their first ever district playoff birth. They're already in the top 16 and can win 4 out of their last 5. Even going 3-2 they finish 6-4 and that should get them in.

Drasaun Moore has been playing really well for them. Transfered from Imhotep, when he moved, where he was the third QB last year. Watched him in mop up duty over the past two years and he's always show flashes.

Why doubt that your Redskins can win it again? Didn't that superstar recruited team from LaSalle lose to a public school with boundaries last year and to another a few years before that? People forget that these young men still line 11 players up across from each other every plan and with the right coaching and game plan it is still a possibility.

"superstar recruited team"

I often laugh when I see these comments as it pertains to LaSalle. Let's not the facts get in the way of the discussion here!

Either LaSalle is the absolute worst evaluator of football talent ever formed or your premise is blatantly inaccurate. There never seems to be an argument that the recent coaching staffs (Gordon-present) develops the talent base presented to their fullest potential.

Outside of a QB who's family moved to Phila from Ohio d/t occupational change, LaSalle has had 2 (two) Div. 1(non-FCS) scholarship football players since 2008 matriculate at Wyndmoor. One of which was a punter who's father graduated from LaSalle and played similar position.

Contrast that with the number of Div. 1 football players that have graduated (sometimes not ;)) from other Phila/PA high schools. It pales in comparison!!..
The is no argument that the top public and non-public schools in this area(and out West) have garnered substantially more "superstar" players than LaSalle could ever dream of..

I often laugh when I see these comments as it pertains to LaSalle. Let's not the facts get in the way of the discussion here!

Either LaSalle is the absolute worst evaluator of football talent ever formed or your premise is blatantly inaccurate. There never seems to be an argument that the recent coaching staffs (Gordon-present) develops the talent base presented to their fullest potential.

Outside of a QB who's family moved to Phila from Ohio d/t occupational change, LaSalle has had 2 (two) Div. 1(non-FCS) scholarship football players since 2008 matriculate at Wyndmoor. One of which was a punter who's father graduated from LaSalle and played similar position.

Contrast that with the number of Div. 1 football players that have graduated (sometimes not ;)) from other Phila/PA high schools. It pales in comparison!!..
The is no argument that the top public and non-public schools in this area(and out West) have garnered substantially more "superstar" players than LaSalle could ever dream of..

Superstar recruited team!! Loughery, the quarterback of the championship team didn't get any offers!! Ended up going to West Chester. Coaching has a major amount to do with it. Gordon and Steinmetz ran rings around the opposition. Did the NP or Neshaminy guys ever think that the coaches were and are past their prime?

Superstar recruited team!! Loughery, the quarterback of the championship team didn't get any offers!! Ended up going to West Chester. Coaching has a major amount to do with it. Gordon and Steinmetz ran rings around the opposition. Did the NP or Neshaminy guys ever think that the coaches were and are past their prime?

LS guys are all nice little players. Give me the Hobson, Costa, Reid, Swift, Arch, Runyan, Walls, Zaccheus, D1 stud guys all day long. We'll be fine.

Overrated....please stop

In case you couldn't tell, my comment of "Superstar Recruited Team" was meant as sarcasm. The people here complain about any team from district 12 being a recruited team. I get it that they don't get the fact that open-enrollment means that any team could have kids from all over the district attend their school. The difference between the successful and not so succesfull programs that I've seen, especially from the Public League perspective is what schools coaches dedicate themselves to developing a program year round, and which ones are happy rolling out a ball for their team to play with come August.

Well old neshaminy coach took becks philosophy of can't beat em join em and went to imhotep and won a title since he couldn't get it done at neshaminy. I give beck credit as he has played the LaSalle's, prep and woods and has taken his beating and stays for more. Honestly, watching his team closely, he is morphing/ changing right before our eyes, with coaching staff changes, input and philosophy ie spread, passing game, bubble screens, double screen etc. Has changed his tendencies somewhat, not as predictable. As clichés go, sometimes it's not about the X's and the O's but the Jimmy and the Joe's .

Reactions: green_beans

I guess Lasalle was not satisfied with their results of the home grown 2 sport athletes...Based on recent transfers....

Oh I forgot, Lasalle transfers are not recruited just Prep's, Wood's, Tep's etc...

Reactions: CYOBALL1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT