ADVERTISEMENT

Imhotep

I'm sure money here would be an issue. I know they played Trinty in Kentucky as well in Ohio, but not sure how they financed it.

As a former parent I can tell you they were financed by doing fund raisers with some assistance from the schools they visited. There were no flights train rides, I'm talking a couple of run down motor coaches for each trip.

For all the crap that gets heaped on Tep here the one thing no one realizes is that the school does not finance the football program. These kids all pay registration fees to participate in the program.

Delco is right though. While good natured jabs, and some good old fashion begrudgery has always been ok...to denigrate one or the other has no place. I have always thought this area to be above that. Just saw it and threw it out there to bust a chop. No place for that kind of arguing. We all know what is what.
I always thought that the other message board, you know the red one, is where the crap was posted and this was where the intelligent conversation went.

Thanks PCL. I guess the Whiz might take offense to that article but it is a fact!! Can't argue with facts!!

I’m staying out of this argument, but I just want to show off one of the things I learned with my public school education. Understanding the source and metrics of studies you cite is important. That study and grade you link doesn’t mean what you think it means. It’s not meant to show the performance of Pennsylvania public schools, but how much states value public education. The metrics cited in that report card have nothing to do with the performance of schools. It’s giving grades in the following categories: (1) no high stakes testing; (2) professionalism of teaching; (3) resistance to privatization; (4) school finance; (5) spending taxpayer resources wisely; and (6) chance for success.

No high stakes testing means that states aren’t using big standardized tests for graduation requirements, teacher evaluation and student promotion. Professionalism of teaching is factoring in teacher salary, retention, tenure, and the rejection of merit pay. Resistance to privatization is the rejection of using public dollars to fund private schools and the limitation of the charter movement. School finance is the adequacy of state funding formulas, adjusting per pupil expenditures for poverty and district size. And spending taxpayer resources wisely is the prioritization of spending to reduce class size, limiting variation of class size by school type, and spending on pre-K education. And chance for success is measuring how pervasive factors that impact student success such as socioeconomic and racial integration in schools.

So Pennsylvania scores poorly (Pennsylvania gets a D, but looking at a map, the highest grade in the country is a C), but not on how well the students are learning and achieving, but the state’s efforts to support public education in the ways I explained above. The study does raise what I’d consider to be significant problems with public education in our state (I find most state funding formulas disgraceful, for instance), but none of them are the problems we’re talking about here. And if your conclusion from this report card is "private schools are better" it just means you didn’t actually read it.

The article actually seems to support my claim. The public school system is more challenging. Therefore it's a fact. Thanks for the research.

The article actually seems to support my claim. The public school system is more challenging. Therefore it's a fact. Thanks for the research.

Where did that article even mention private or Catholic schools?? I'm not saying one is more challenging than the other. But for you to say it is fact??!! If you, as a teacher, can not see that different schools fit different students then I think you must have been a very closed minded teacher. And for you to say that students on sports teams don't "slide by" in the publics is totally without merit. What about the two guys from La Salle's basketball team that were let go and they ended up at PW with a state title? And I'm not saying La Salle is better than PW. It fit those students better. Thank God you weren't my teacher!! JMJ

First off, you started the argument with some uncalled for posts. Secondly I said I was busting chops and as a matter of fact I did read it...then clearly backed Delco on leaving this alone. The study is 100% from a support of public schools standpoint. Direct your vitriol to the politics board.

First off, you started the argument with some uncalled for posts. Secondly I said I was busting chops and as a matter of fact I did read it...then clearly backed Delco on leaving this alone. The study is 100% from a support of public schools standpoint. Direct your vitriol to the politics board.

The fact that you guys cannot tell someone is trying to get under your skin makes me laugh.

I would like a Tep vs. any of the North Jersey Catholic League teams or DeMatha . I believe those would be very competitive contests. The N, Jersey group always seem to be looking for a game.

Lilromeo..btm2070,
I think DC-Balt teams might be a better fit than NorJer teams, people like DeMatha, St. John's, OLGC. Not that those don't morph into MEGA teams every few years but they are often manageable. Some of the NJ teams are from another planet but hey, if you can get a game with Paramus, Bergen, DBP, why not.

I'm not in the know with tep but is there anything to lead people to believe that the enormous amount of talent they had in this senior class Will be the norm for upcoming classes? One has to think that 1) this year was a once in a lifetime situation, 2) other schools are going to start recruiting that area a little bit harder, 3) the funding of the charter school will become an even bigger hot button topic in the future, 4) with success comes coaches advancing their careers.

I remember when many on here laughed at the PPL and I said if someone could get enough talent that school could be a handful. Well Imhotep is here and they are a handful

I remember when many on here laughed at the PPL and I said if someone could get enough talent that school could be a handful. Well Imhotep is here and they are a handful

MORE than an handful. They are 3 deep at EVERY position. It's unbelievable.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT