ADVERTISEMENT

Hey Pitt guys

Stalker

Gold Member
Oct 13, 2001
What's going on at Pitt? The Qb acts like a freshman and is a major disappointment thinking he'd be a significant part of their success this year. Had two nephews that went to Pitt and won't print what they've said about 'Jurko'. He's deteriorated like the Armstrong kid (Va trans) at NC State; another team with a great D that needs just a little O to go.
I realize the BC experience wasn't good but, no one could have called things working out as they have at Pitt this year.

He also just switched his position to TE. You don’t see that often in Week 6.

Having watched that kid in HS, it looks like he lost all confidence and when things started going bad here, it spiraled out of control emotionally for him. Last chance to win big, hometown, last chance to make an impression for the NFL, etc. On top of all that, the way he throws the ball now is just different than I remember. He just looks bad. He could really throw it in HS with accuracy. Hasn't been the same since.

The change to TE is probably a good idea, but in the current climate out here WRT Pitt, its viewed as a joke. I can't see how he will play with 3 upperclassman TE's in front of him. If he does play and doesn't produce - again - Narduzzi will get crushed.

Really, just a sad situation right now for him and Pitt.

Reactions: Stalker
He was a reach as a QB prospect coming out of HS. He had excellent size, good speed for that size, and could make some throws. However, he wasn't really gifted throwing the ball. He had some mechanical flaws that didn't' hurt him in HS but showed up at ND. He was similar to Pryor coming out of HS - great size but flaws in his delivery but nowhere near the athlete Pryor was.

He was a reach as a QB prospect coming out of HS. He had excellent size, good speed for that size, and could make some throws. However, he wasn't really gifted throwing the ball. He had some mechanical flaws that didn't' hurt him in HS but showed up at ND. He was similar to Pryor coming out of HS - great size but flaws in his delivery but nowhere near the athlete Pryor was.
I think he's been getting to much slack for Pitt being so bad. I think whoever Pitt throws in there will struggle because their play callings, offense, receivers, and blocking have all been bad. After Phil went out last week, in which he was playing pretty good, his back up had 86 yards and 2 picks. I think it'll show this week.

Last edited:
phil shoulda stayed at ND
This^

He was so antsy to get out of ND and not sit, he went to BC, where he had a decent year, then got mauled behind one of the worst offensive lines in power 5 football, and now he looks broken. Meanwhile, ND had essentially no quarterback option after Ian Book graduated. How would have Jurkovec looked getting a starting nod as a redshirt junior behind one of the best offensive lines in football and all that time in the same system? Bouncing around is not your friend.

And any “he wasn’t actually a P5 level player coming out of high school” is 100% hindsight. Nobody, including Nick Saban, thought that in 2017.

Reactions: new2pa and Stalker
This^

He was so antsy to get out of ND and not sit, he went to BC, where he had a decent year, then got mauled behind one of the worst offensive lines in power 5 football, and now he looks broken. Meanwhile, ND had essentially no quarterback option after Ian Book graduated. How would have Jurkovec looked getting a starting nod as a redshirt junior behind one of the best offensive lines in football and all that time in the same system? Bouncing around is not your friend.

And any “he wasn’t actually a P5 level player coming out of high school” is 100% hindsight. Nobody, including Nick Saban, thought that in 2017.
Good reminders. I hope he gets it together. Sounds like he made some missteps on top of multiple OCs over the years which is actually his fault with the transfers! Hadn't thought of it that way til now.
I imagine he's out of eligibility?

Good reminders. I hope he gets it together. Sounds like he made some missteps on top of multiple OCs over the years which is actually his fault with the transfers! Hadn't thought of it that way til now.
I imagine he's out of eligibility?
Yeah, he’s in his 6th year with the COVID waiver. After his first year at BC, he had some NFL draft buzz with a good following year. Then it was a disaster and he got hurt, so he used year 6 at Pitt to try and rebuild that stock. It…didn’t work.

Reactions: Stalker
i don't disagree with your criticism as far as him throwing the ball, he always did throw wobbly ducks

but i don't think you can call him a reach considering he was a 4 star prospect at quarterback ranked among the top 100 players in the country, that had offers from some of the biggest schools, and everybody that follow high school football saying he's one of the best they ever saw

he just never improved on his flaws and peaked in high school

i don't disagree with your criticism as far as him throwing the ball, he always did throw wobbly ducks

but i don't think you can call him a reach considering he was a 4 star prospect at quarterback ranked among the top 100 players in the country, that had offers from some of the biggest schools, and everybody that follow high school football saying he's one of the best they ever saw

he just never improved on his flaws and peaked in high school
Guys like Phil are always coveted as QB's at the next level because they fit a certain profile that most are willing to overlook a flaw with a 50/50 chance of developing it in college.

Size - 6'5 215-220lbs

Mobility - He could really run the rock in HS

Multi-sport athlete - he was really good in bball at a big school, not great but extremely good

Arm strength - good/not great

Accuracy - above average in HS. Comp % in HS/college is always a great stat because it depends on the type of throws he was asked to do. I never thought he was elite in the accuracy department.

Pryor had all these things going for him except he was a better athlete but did not have the throwing acumen needed to really thrive at the next level either.

Phil like Pryor was a great HS player, not QB. I've seen way better passers of the ball then Jurkovec. I haven't seen too many guys who can run and throw as well as him though.

Guys like Phil are always coveted as QB's at the next level because they fit a certain profile that most are willing to overlook a flaw with a 50/50 chance of developing it in college.

Size - 6'5 215-220lbs

Multi-sport athlete - he was really good in bball at a big school, not great but extremely good

Accuracy - above average in HS. Comp % in HS/college is always a great stat because it depends on the type of throws he was asked to do. I never thought he was elite in the accuracy department.

Pryor had all these things going for him except he was a better athlete but did not have the throwing acumen needed to really thrive at the next level either.

Phil like Pryor was a great HS player, not QB. I've seen way better passers of the ball then Jurkovec. I haven't seen too many guys who can run and throw as well as him though.
I mean, Pryor went 31-4 as a starter, won Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl MVPs, was All Big Ten. He was not Cam Newton in college, as was expected. But on the field, hard to say he wasn’t a success at Ohio State. Now, off the field, he helped blow up the program. But on the field, he was pretty darn good.

I mean, Pryor went 31-4 as a starter, won Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl MVPs, was All Big Ten. He was not Cam Newton in college, as was expected. But on the field, hard to say he wasn’t a success at Ohio State. Now, off the field, he helped blow up the program. But on the field, he was pretty darn good.
He was an extremely good football player in college but he never really developed as a passer. Had he listened to Dave Wannstedt and played WR in college he would've been a 1st round draft pick.

couldn't you say that he was arguably the worst Ohio State quarterbacks of the past 15 years or so?

his record looks good but that's typical for Ohio State, he would be a God if he did that at Pitt, at Ohio State that's an average year

their other quarterbacks put up much better numbers, won bigger games, heisman finalists, first round draft picks etc

he wasn't a bust but he didn't come close to the high school hype

i would say the tattoo fiasco did them a favor, it got you Urban Meyer which resulted in a national title

Size - 6'5 215-220lbs

but he did show some potential his first year at Boston College, he was considered a pro prospect

question is how did he regress so much? it's like he aged 15 years within 1 year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT