ADVERTISEMENT

Future of Ridley Football

JoeEmmi

Nov 4, 2012
You think the school has just hit a few year rough patch or have socio-economic realities taken its inevitable toll?

If you think "socio-economic realities" are the reason then go down Chester Pike and bring Vosheski to Ridley. Whatever he is preaching down in Sharon Hill, the Knights are buying.

Cheers,

Busch

socio-economic has nothing to do with Ridley Football. Its definitely not the kids. If by that you mean thats the reason the HC has lost the respect of all the players, than yes, its socio-economic. If it because 7 years ago they passed over competent HC candidates to hire this HC, then yeah, its socio-economic. If you say its that because the HC is hardly there, then yeah, its socio-economic. If its because we pick our coaches by what they did in 1991, and not what theyve actually accomplished on the sidelines, then yeah, its socio-economic. If its because Waller and McNick wont even step foot on this field because of our lazy HC, then yeah, its socio-economic. The Ridley guys still on this coaching staff are the ones that do all the work, because thats how they were coached. It something this HC forgot. There are great Ridley guys just shaking there heads as to why Pete didnt get rid of this guy years ago. Oh, thats right, Petes a Springfield guy, so he didnt care. We have some young, good, vibrant coaches coming back to this school (Masterson and McLaughlin). Please dont let them learn from this HC and his sidekick. Hire a guy who will bring back RIDLEY PRIDE. Heres an idea: We will trade our pompous, no good, locker room/on field cancer back to where he came from (AP), and bring Vosheski home to fix what theyve broken the last 7 years.... Just a thought.....

Definitely fixable. Plus the alumni, former coaches and faculty that he has lost over the last 7 years will come back in force. What great football resources we have in this town. Not only will that fix the problem, but it will also fix the problems with JV and Freshman football as well. Time for the higher ups to do the right thing.

I have no idea about Ridley's long term prospects but Friday night @ Upper Darby was not the old Ridley.

UD as always had loads of mistakes & penalties (127 yards) but Ridley really unraveled on occasion (over 110 yards in penalties) it cost them the game for sure.

socio-economic has nothing to do with Ridley Football. Its definitely not the kids. If by that you mean thats the reason the HC has lost the respect of all the players, than yes, its socio-economic. If it because 7 years ago they passed over competent HC candidates to hire this HC, then yeah, its socio-economic. If you say its that because the HC is hardly there, then yeah, its socio-economic. If its because we pick our coaches by what they did in 1991, and not what theyve actually accomplished on the sidelines, then yeah, its socio-economic. If its because Waller and McNick wont even step foot on this field because of our lazy HC, then yeah, its socio-economic. The Ridley guys still on this coaching staff are the ones that do all the work, because thats how they were coached. It something this HC forgot. There are great Ridley guys just shaking there heads as to why Pete didnt get rid of this guy years ago. Oh, thats right, Petes a Springfield guy, so he didnt care. We have some young, good, vibrant coaches coming back to this school (Masterson and McLaughlin). Please dont let them learn from this HC and his sidekick. Hire a guy who will bring back RIDLEY PRIDE. Heres an idea: We will trade our pompous, no good, locker room/on field cancer back to where he came from (AP), and bring Vosheski home to fix what theyve broken the last 7 years.... Just a thought.....
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Masterson learn from Decker? Wasn't he the QB when they went to the eastern final vs LaSalle? And am pretty sure Decker came from Glen Mills not AP. Been to many Ridley games since Decker has been Head Coach & I have no idea who his "sidekick" is.

Masterson was Wallers QB (developed by Waller, and worked out with Waller all year before and during his Senior year), not Deckers. Obviously you missed the point as to why Ridley football is failing. Im not blaming everything on Decker, but as the captain of this ship, hes at the front. The reality is hes late for practice, leaves practices early, and doesnt ever coach qbs since hes been at Ridley. Have you seen a qb developed here in the last 7 years?? Neither have I... If you think that everything is going great with this football program, then you never played for McNick, Waller, Batty, etc... Thats for sure...

No, I did not have opportunity to play for those great former coaches. I did watch their teams compete though. I also agree that he does not deserve all the blame but he is the head of the program as you stated. I also know that he hasn't had a multiple year starter as QB during his tenure. Is that due to the ability of the players or is it being loyal to a Sr who has been dedicated to the program? I believe this current starter is a jr so we will see how he develops. Not knowing the responsibilities of the staff, maybe someone else (Masterson?) is coaching the QB's. Either way you are calling for a coaching change based on your what you believe to be the reality of the situation.

The reality of the situation is , if and when decker goes , there is a full staff of old school Ridley guys ready to go and bring the program back to respectability . While at some schools 7-4, 8-3 is respected, it's not at Ridley. Even when they were going 12-1, 13-1 under decker , there were holes in the program that were glossed over by superior talent. There really was no secret to Ridleys long term success: hard work , discipline , and respect for the R on the helmet. Talent may come and go, but those three things remain constant and are clearly missing from the program.
Does anyone think they would be averaging close to 100 yards agame in penalties under prior regimes ? Do you think Mcnick would let his kids wear black and gold socks in the interbiro game? Do you think wallers team would lose as a #1 seed in the district playoffs simply by being unprepared? Would kids be missing summer 7 on 7 to go play summer lacrosse ? Not likely in my opinion

Masterson is coaching dbs, not qbs. McLaughlin is the new strength/conditioning coach. i dont want to see anyone lose a job, but this is not just any job, This is the HEAD COACH job at Ridley High School. With that comes a certain level of respect, motivation, hardwork, discipline, integrity, pride and attention to detail. Does anyone see that right now? How does a head coach get his kids respect when he is missing from practice and summer workouts? that also puts alot of strain on his staff to try and hold things together. Ive seen tons of Ridley football games. This is not Ridley Football. This isnt the first year, this is the 3rd/4th year in a row. And dont give me that talent excuse. Since when do you need a multi year starting qb at Ridley? I think you can count on one hand how many have started multiple years at Ridley. The last 3 Ridley teams were rich in talent, no matter what is said. Since when is Ridley not talented because they arent the biggest? Since when is Ridley not talented because they are small? Are you kidding me? Its been like that all the way back to the beginning.

I have no idea about Ridley's long term prospects but Friday night @ Upper Darby was not the old Ridley.

UD as always had loads of mistakes & penalties (127 yards) but Ridley really unraveled on occasion (over 110 yards in penalties) it cost them the game for sure.

I was at the game as well, besides the officials being horrible Ridley certainly made more mistakes than upper Darby. It's amazing how when upper Darby beats Ridley like this year and two years ago no one says upper Darby won the game, it's always Ridley lost the game. I'm not sure how good this ud team is How bout Ridley fans start taking their teams for what they're worth and stop comparing them to teams from

Reactions: jasfootball
Ridley should never lose to Upper Darby. That's a simple fact and what most people in Ridley believe. Now those may be high expectations , but that's the reality of the situation. The teams didn't all of the sudden get less talent and Upper Darbt got more talent. I'd say Ridley was 38-2 against UD and now they lost 2 of the last three. It's trending down and unacceptable.

Fir the most part he hand picks his staff. He has lots of guys in the school with tons of coaching experience that want no parts of this. He had an offensive line Coach and nationally certified strength trainer who was a player and part of the staff for over 15,years. Decker brought in his own o- line coach and asks the veteran coach to move over to defense. Coach sees this as a demotion and leaves the program. That's how you lose talented coaches

Interesting insight from those of you close to the program and rich tradition that was Ridley football, as Rick O'Brien/Ted Silary used to call the "Delaware County toughie". They were always the team you did not want to play without a significant supply of ice bags and crutches on hand.

Something happened to this team after that crushing eastern final loss to LaSalle in '09. They had just physically smacked down #1 seed North Penn in the D1 final. They went in as the favorite, LaSalle went in as this upstart PCL champ on unknown quality. I recall seeing the video of Decker's post NP victory speech, "and after we take care of those guys next week" (meaning LS) we'll take it from there. They got hammered by LaSalle, which then started LS great run as an eastern power.

Ridley, as you guys state, hasn't been the same since. There has been a steady decline, we outside the region could never understand why. Usually teams with that rich of tradition don't stay down long. Winning seasons are not the norm there, contending for titles are. Ridley lacrosse has seen a similar disposition, they were the eastern/state power for so many years, had 3 or 4 state titles entering the millennium. They have not been the Central league dominant force for some time while several Public-school teams surrounding them have taken over that mantel.

As an outsider but a fan of that blue-collar tradition, would like to see Ridley get back to prominence some day soon.. Will probably regret saying that one day!;)

I know that surrounding districts lose several of their better players to private/catholic schools. In years past, it was almost unheard of for a Ridley kid not to go to Ridley and go out of district. Is this still the case?

Ridley lacrosse is an entirely different situation. Ridley was one of the first communities in SEPA to start and fully fund youth lacrosse back in the late 70's early 80's. The kids started playing lacrosse as early as 3 rd grade. By the time they got to hs, they had 6-7 years of lacrosse team experience. Their passing and catching skills were so far advanced it was not even funny. Couple that with a typical gritty Ridley kid and a hall of fame coach and you get state title after state title. Ridley simply was better than everyone

In the 90's, almost every community got on the youth lacrosse bandwagon , and now every kid comes into hs with 6-7 years of lacrosse exoerince. Couple that with the retirement of the hall of fame coach , and Ridley is just another solid lacrosse program But everything that gave them such a huge advantage years ago has now evened out.

3 coaches stayed on after Waller with all 3 having major roles in that run to LaSalle. we all know Batty is gone but the question remains why? old OL coach has left the program and the third remains but his role has diminished/changed a handful of times. Im not even going to touch what changes were made between the North Penn game and LaSalle game that year, but major rumors from very credible sources say it was not good. numbers are down and the JV and freshmen teams show very little growth. Major questions to be answered and there are issues to be evaluated by admininstration. we want Ridley Football back, the players can take you so far but leadership and committment from the HC has to be there.

And if you dont think coaching has anything to do with the players coming out, your sadly mistaken. The best football player at the HS this year dont even play football. Ask him why, i know the answer already. If you think that the youth football programs records have anything to do with the HS decline, your sadly mistaken. With CYO, and 3 youth programs in the area, thats definitely not the issue. The decline of the youth programs has alot to do with the concussion factor, and thst is across the board, across the country. I know plenty of kids who never even play football until MS. There may be an issue at the middle school, but they are teachers, not football coaches.

I have 1 question for you than Cuckolder, which of the previous Ridley coaches did you play for?? I ask because I want to know what they taught u

Gotcha, and it has alot to do with it. You understand the mentality of a Ridley football player. Would McNick, Batty, or Waller for that matter, show up half the week and expect everything to be running correctly on Friday? W-L really has nothing to do with it. Batty didnt have a great W-L record, but he damn sure busted his ass in prep for every game, didnt he??

I don't comment very often but cuckolder is providing facts/statistics while freeridley sounds like an angry parent sitting on his computer listening to Bruce springsteen's glory days.

Delcofootball1 that is very funny but untrue. Just giving an opinion based on the facts i know. Not a historian or a pissed off parent by any means. I do love Bruce tho

So who's Decker's sidekick? How about a name? All kinds of names being dropped by freeridley so drop the sidekick's name and pedigree.

I too don't see Vosheski leaving AP for Ridley. I would hope not being its my school but I think he's got a great deal at AP (I think), should run the table this year and probably compete for another D1 title.

I think Voshevski may have burned his bridges at Ridley., so his return is unlikely.

As for winning / losing- not all 7-3 records are the same. The difference between now and the past is not one coach or one player reasonably believes they are going undefeated. Losing to Garnet Valley and Conestoga has become the norm and losing to Haverford or Upper Darby has become acceptable. The old regimes would shoot for 10-0 seasons and be disappointed with 8-2. Now they shoot for 8-2 and 7-3 and losses of any kind are way acceptable.

Even when they were going 8-2 , etc the other teams in the league knew they had to go through Ridley to win the title. In SHavens heyday , their biggest game every year was Ridley. Now, no one in the league fears Ridley , it's just another game.

On a side note, their is absolutely no continuity between varsity , JV, 9th grade and middle school. This group of seniors was undefeated as 9th graders and were coached by one of the old school coaches. They were infinitely more organized , disciplined and confident as 9th graders than as 12th graders. So the talent for the most part is still there. It's just not being developed .

Delcofootball1 that is very funny but untrue. Just giving an opinion based on the facts i know. Not a historian or a pissed off parent by any means. I do love Bruce tho
How have you come by these facts? Are you there at practice or is someone else feeding you this info? BTW, Who is his sidekick?

Forget the sidekick comment. I dont want to sound like a scorned parent/ex coach, and my Bruce CD just ran out, lol. I will say that the info i am given is first rate. Either way I get it really dont matter. its not like its top secret, all the info is pretty much out there, and scores of people know whats going on. No need to pile on. Go to the games, see what you see, and make your own conclusions. I just gave my opinion on what I see is going on. I seem to have the same info as Jump/Speed dr, hes just a lil more politically correct than i am. Love Ridley and want to see them succeed on every level. Maybe a lil too passionate. Never apologize for that.

As for the Vosheski comment, i agree with Speed dr and AP1999, he does have a nice gig at AP, really dont know anything about the burnt bridges. Just thought he would be a great fit here. Hes already built one program from the ground up.

Hey Cuck, ummmm, I couldnt possibly keep up with all those stats. Kudos. Just add 1 more loss for UD. Decker has 2 loses to UD.

And you cant possibly be putting Glen Mills up as impressive NC wins. Maybe a very long time ago they were a formidable opponent, but we play them game 1 every year. Glen Mills doesnt even know who or what kids they have at that point. Do you have the stats for Strath Haven vs everyone else from 1992-2003?? Ridley may have been outscored 322-176 and be 2-12 against them, but id take a guess here and say that was pretty good against that Strath Haven Era. If i need any info on Ridley football, your my first stop from now on.

Cuck's stats are extremely impressive. Although I think stats can be misleading, in this case, they really do validate your point.

But that raises a question for me, as an outsider. Considering what Cuck has put up as far as stats, he seems to be on par with what is the perceived to be can it be deduced that the issue is less to do with wins and losses and more to do with the HC himself? Some of the initial posts mentioned not showing up to practice for the HC on time, not being involved or attending the off season stuff, etc. Whether that be from a jaded parent or not, I can tell you I have heard similar thing said about that situation and I have no ties to Ridley whatsoever. Plus, I have heard several off the field issues that have happened with the HC that have drawn embarrassment to him and the program as well.

With that being said, a counter argument can also be made. I have heard that another HC from the perennial favorite in the central league isn't even on the practice field during practice, and spends his time in the press box on a cell phone watching from afar This same coach also had a couple of embarrassing things pop up last season, but no one was calling for his job? is the Ridley HC more of an "overseer" like the coach I mentioned above, and the Ridley people aren't on board with that.

Ridley folks, it is the personality and off the field stuff of the head coach that is the issue, because Cuck's stats seem to point out that DD is right in line historically.

Again, as an outsider it is interesting. But Cuck's points cant be argued. Ridley is a very good hard nosed program that is always towards the top in Delco. But those "dominant" years are long gone.

From what I heard about the other prominent CL coach, is his transgressions had more to do with him actually caring to much on how 1 player was affecting a program, and not so much an embarrassing situation. I heard that was actually blown way out of proportion. And you are correct, he is not involved in the practice aspect as much anymore, because he dont really need to be. He has 2-4 asst head coaches that have been there with him almost since day 1. But at least he is there. Thats the major difference between coaches. Whether in press box on his phone or not, at least he is always there. And he has the respect of his asst coaches and kids. Cant say the same at Ridley. Your right, his stats are on par with everyone else, but it doesnt look like they are mentally prepared anymore, and that all comes back to the discipline factor. When my neighbor comes home this year, after the 1st two weeks of 2 a days, and he says they only had 2 a days for 5 days total over those 2 weeks, and it was easy, theres something wrong.

And Cuck, you are right, but lets look into the crystal ball the rest of this year. Lets assume the trends hold true. Wins over Radnor (not a gimme), Harriton, Strath Haven, LM, and Penncrest (not a gimme). Loses to Stoga, Haverford, and Interboro (i think i threw up in my mouth when i typed that).

Sorry hit wrong thing. So that would give him a total win % of around 75% (75.2 exactly) which would place him right above Mr Batty 6th on the all time list. And if you take the trend of the last 3 years, when all this stuff ("personal") actually started, his record will be 20-13. Which is a 60% clip. Am I saying they would have a better record with BT, absolutely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT