ADVERTISEMENT

Football HC

Roman has hired a new coach. Rick Prete I believe. Anyone know of his history?

Been waiting to see what happened with Roman job. Heard his name in the mix. Offensive guy from Imhotep and Malvern Prep before that. Really good with kids. From my interac and d12 contacts, extremely hard worker.

Any update on Lansdale Catholic?

Tep WR's coach, was the Malvern Freshman Coach, and Runs the Prep 7 Program. Has the OC Title at Tep but did not call the plays. Will be interesting to see what kind of staff he can put together and see who is the last man standing between him, Albie and Fluck.

Last edited:
Tep WR's coach, was the Malvern Freshman Coach, and Runs the Prep 7 Program. Has the OC Title at Tep but did not call the plays. Will be interesting to see what kind of staff he can put together and see who is the last man standing between him, Albie and Fluck.

If he gets the support he needs he will be just fine. My gut feeling, he will have kids wanting to come back to Roman to play football. It won't happen overnight but certainly a step in the right direction in my opinion.

Explain?
What do you have to be to be a “city guy”?

Roman is losing the recruiting battle in their division. Having a “city guy” who’s in touch with the community and youth programs in the area could sway some talent that other wise wouldn’t look at Roman. Imhotep’s blueprint can’t be applied to Roman. Even though he had little to no part in Imhotep’s success. Lastly, I don’t think he’s qualified for the position.

Roman is losing the recruiting battle in their division. Having a “city guy” who’s in touch with the community and youth programs in the area could sway some talent that other wise wouldn’t look at Roman. Imhotep’s blueprint can’t be applied to Roman. Even though he had little to no part in Imhotep’s success. Lastly, I don’t think he’s qualified for the position.

It’s funny to read your post. This goes to show just how little you know about him.
He has strong ties to 7 on 7 programs and youth football programs, CYO, POP Werner, Keystone league etc. So recruiting in the city won’t be hard for a guy from Norristown( I know it’s so far out of the city). I’m sure he will assemble a staff with guys who also have connections in the city for recruiting. How do you know how much he had to do with Imhoteps success? You ask around to your buddies who you think are in the know?
What makes a coach “qualified” for the position of head coach? Does he have to do X amount of years as an assistant? Does he have to have prior head coaching experience? Would you have been happy with a re-tred HC?
Out of curiousity, who would have been a better hire in your opinion?

Last edited:
CYO - actually beat me to it. City guy? Here’s what I know about him, and this is easily searchable through social media. Kids in Philadelphia and beyond love him. Beside social media searches, this has been confirmed by people I know in the city and trust over many years.(who have worked with him) Successful playing career, coached youth ball, coached freshman AND varsity at Malvern Prep. I was told he would coach youth ball and at Malvern at the same time. Extemely connected with the 7on7 network, tons of legitimate college connections etc. Ran some sort of free winter program for inner city kids to do football workouts for over 10 Years. Tireless worker is a term that came up plenty of times. And the article I read mentioned a military background!

When you say he “wasn’t a contributor to the success at Imhotep” why would a successful program hire him as an OC, not to contribute? They were sad to see him go, and this is info I’ve heard directly. You have every right to question the hire, but I don’t think your up to speed on this guy. By all accounts, he’s legit.

Last edited:
Roman will suffer from this...…. they needed a city guy.
He's been with successful programs he should be fine getting tge kiss out as long a
CYO - actually beat me to it. City guy? Here’s what I know about him, and this is easily searchable through social media, kids in Philadelphia and beyond love him. Beside social media searches, this has been confirmed by people I know in the city and trust over many years.(who have worked with him) Successful playing career, coached youth ball, coached freshman AND varsity at Malvern Prep. I was told he would coach youth ball and at Malvern at the same time. Extemely connected with the 7on7 network, tons of legitimate college connections etc. Ran some sort of free winter program for inner city kids to do football workouts for over 10 Years. Tireless worker is a term that came up plenty of times. And the article I read mentioned a military background!

When you say he “wasn’t a contributor to the success at Imhotep” why would a successful program hire him as an OC, not to contribute? They were sad to see him go, and this is info I’ve heard directly. You have every right to question the hire, but I don’t think your up to speed on this guy. By all accounts, he’s legit.
I've heard positive things, sometimes "not qualified " is just what a program needs. .... guy with a lot of ambition making everything he has learned along the way his own and applying it.

Soup, any more from Lebo? Palko momentum picking up on the Internet.
New- I am pretty confident Palko will be announced shortly. Huge hire and will win immediately with their current size and talent.

Reactions: new2pa
The challenge and uphill battle has really nothing to do with his experience. The bigger challenge is support and $$$. If they do not provide financial support to the kids he tries to bring in. It will be a 3 year commitment to the bottom. The landscape has changed in the PCL. It now cost families approx $10 k +(all up with fees per year). It is getting harder and harder to get that kind of money for football players.

Reactions: D1sideline
The challenge and uphill battle has really nothing to do with his experience. The bigger challenge is support and $$$. If they do not provide financial support to the kids he tries to bring in. It will be a 3 year commitment to the bottom. The landscape has changed in the PCL. It now cost families approx $10 k +(all up with fees per year). It is getting harder and harder to get that kind of money for football players.
Word on street is he will have support.

It’s funny to read your post. This goes to show just how little you know about him.
He has strong ties to 7 on 7 programs and youth football programs, CYO, POP Werner, Keystone league etc. So recruiting in the city won’t be hard for a guy from Norristown( I know it’s so far out of the city). I’m sure he will assemble a staff with guys who also have connections in the city for recruiting. How do you know how much he had to do with Imhoteps success? You ask around to your buddies who you think are in the know?
What makes a coach “qualified” for the position of head coach? Does he have to do X amount of years as an assistant? Does he have to have prior head coaching experience? Would you have been happy with a re-tred HC?
Out of curiousity, who would have been a better hire in your opinion?
I know a lot about the city and the ties to the youth. His 7 on 7 team is one of the worst. He had one strong team last year bc he forced the HC to make it mandatory that all Tep kids played with him. Before they all played with Albie. Albie is the one with the strong ties and just latched on. I'm sorry but someone that didnt call plays does not qualify in my book.

I know a lot about the city and the ties to the youth. His 7 on 7 team is one of the worst. He had one strong team last year bc he forced the HC to make it mandatory that all Tep kids played with him. Before they all played with Albie. Albie is the one with the strong ties and just latched on. I'm sorry but someone that didnt call plays does not qualify in my book.

SO you have to be a play caller to be a HC? hmm...ever think a HC could assign a guy to call the plays? I think some refer to that guy as an offensive coordinator. Head Coach is responsible for building a program, establishing a culture etc. he doesn't HAVE to call plays.
Do your homework, look around and talk to the people who are REALLY in the know. Kids and former coaches respect this guy.
You never did answer my question, who is the guy you would have went with for HC at RC?

SO you have to be a play caller to be a HC? hmm...ever think a HC could assign a guy to call the plays? I think some refer to that guy as an offensive coordinator. Head Coach is responsible for building a program, establishing a culture etc. he doesn't HAVE to call plays.
Do your homework, look around and talk to the people who are REALLY in the know. Kids and former coaches respect this guy.
You never did answer my question, who is the guy you would have went with for HC at RC?

Never claim to know it all. You think current coaches respect this guy? They think this is a joke. This isn’t speculation this is factual. The kids didn’t respect him either. My son played on his 7 on 7 team. They were removed from 3 tournaments bc he couldn’t control his marquee players. I’ve heard with my ears not something someone told me a kid say “ you’re not one of us we’re riding “. If he’s loved and respected Roman should be getting some players soon. Any candidate besides him would have been better. Someone proven.

CYO,
Not so sure everyone on Warren Avenue thought he was as respected and as good of a candidate as you think he is.

The perfect candidate for a PCL head job just left Coastal Carolina. Only way it works is if you bring $$$$ to the table yourself or you have access to people who will bring it. No offense to Roman or Judge guys but people(parents) care about three things these days. How little will it cost me?, Can you help him/me get more money through a college scholarship?, How many 'chips is he/me winning. They better come up big to question number one or the whole thing is DOA given where those programs reside in their current league. Kids have playoff shot with Fluck, Albie, etc, etc.

Lastly I have no idea who applied for these jobs but if now we are qualifying people based upon 7 on 7 teams that's a complete joke. Majority of those things are a complete scam for the organizers to make money for themselves selling starry eyed kids and parents on college money that never materializes in almost all cases. If parents of the bottom 85% of kids participating in 7 on 7 football, youth AAU basketball and travel baseball spent just half that money on math tutoring or some other academic discipline they would see the college payoff is exponentially higher there and world would be better. 9 times out of 10 these 7on7, private strength guys, this camp, that camp, the only guy who wins is the guy collecting the money to pad his regular gig. Sure a whole another group of parents this time of year experiencing the despair of this isn't what I thought junior's college was going to be and cost when we signed up and spent all that money for (insert here).

Reactions: D1sideline
The perfect candidate for a PCL head job just left Coastal Carolina. Only way it works is if you bring $$$$ to the table yourself or you have access to people who will bring it. No offense to Roman or Judge guys but people(parents) care about three things these days. How little will it cost me?, Can you help him/me get more money through a college scholarship?, How many 'chips is he/me winning. They better come up big to question number one or the whole thing is DOA given where those programs reside in their current league. Kids have playoff shot with Fluck, Albie, etc, etc.

Lastly I have no idea who applied for these jobs but if now we are qualifying people based upon 7 on 7 teams that's a complete joke. Majority of those things are a complete scam for the organizers to make money for themselves selling starry eyed kids and parents on college money that never materializes in almost all cases. If parents of the bottom 85% of kids participating in 7 on 7 football, youth AAU basketball and travel baseball spent just half that money on math tutoring or some other academic discipline they would see the college payoff is exponentially higher there and world would be better. 9 times out of 10 these 7on7, private strength guys, this camp, that camp, the only guy who wins is the guy collecting the money to pad his regular gig. Sure a whole another group of parents this time of year experiencing the despair of this isn't what I thought junior's college was going to be and cost when we signed up and spent all that money for (insert here).
Very valid points. .... i wonder how many guys are out there like the CC guy you mentioned. The 7 on 7 stuff is money maker, self promotional idea, but I'm sure there's talent among the teams, talent that would make Roman better than they were.

Word on the street is that Allentown CC is throwing a ton of money at a current college coach to be the new HC there. I know from experience that 7on7 teams are a joke and a 100% a money grab. Going through the recruiting process with my son, college coaches were bashing the “aau 7on7” thing.

Not looking good for fluck. If proven true, was that money used to bring kids into school or for personal reasons?

Not looking good for fluck. If proven true, was that money used to bring kids into school or for personal reasons?
Sad everytime you read a story like this, so much good work over many years and people end up throwing it away over money! Hopefully it was poor book keeping and not theft.

Reactions: lilromeo
I saw something on twitter yesterday that Aaron Carter was looking for ex-players of the game that were awarded scholarships and either didn't get the money or had trouble. Shame, he has done a ton for football in the City.

Soup, Like you said, I heard last night that Lebo job is Palkos if they can meet his demands. If not, it will be the current 9th grade coach who also coaches baseball.

Soup, Like you said, I heard last night that Lebo job is Palkos if they can meet his demands. If not, it will be the current 9th grade coach who also coaches baseball.
New - I think that’s why it’s been taking so long, not sure what the demands pertain to? Might be staff and teaching jobs?Jeff Denati is who you are referring to and is the parent favorite, popular choice. Not the right choice, need change inside out....

New - I think that’s why it’s been taking so long, not sure what the demands pertain to? Might be staff and teaching jobs?Jeff Denati is who you are referring to and is the parent favorite, popular choice. Not the right choice, need change inside out....
New - Just ran into a former coach getting coffee and said Donati is now with Junko at USC as OC. Palko is in @ Lebo....

Western guys - is Lebo a much better job than West A? I know Lebo is 6A and WA is 5A. Other than that, what would be the attraction for Palko?

Western guys - is Lebo a much better job than West A? I know Lebo is 6A and WA is 5A. Other than that, what would be the attraction for Palko?

HSFBFan19- Yes and no. He built up West A to power and facilities are top notch. Lebo was a power who have been flat at best for years now. Top school district with money, always have size and skill. norm was a handful of D1 yearly. He will win immediately this year with what he has coming back and up. I heard there was issues with parents, maybe the AD(just a guess), etc... had enough at West A. I also heard big bucks thrown at him, that could be it? change of atmosphere, maybe a challenge to build up an average program back to being very good?

Thanks for the insight. Sounds like Lebo is a sleeping giant. I always thought Melynck was a good coach.

I heard things like 3 West A coaches plus Palko going to Lebo. Jobs for all of them. Larger than normal coaching stipend for Coach Palko, etc. I wonder, if Lebo can't meet his demands, where do they turn? Or like you said, maybe its a done deal waiting on board approval.

I heard things like 3 West A coaches plus Palko going to Lebo. Jobs for all of them. Larger than normal coaching stipend for Coach Palko, etc. I wonder, if Lebo can't meet his demands, where do they turn? Or like you said, maybe its a done deal waiting on board approval.

New - I did hear that too... money is being thrown at him for sure. I heard done deal but every day that goes by I 2nd guess my info... ha

Word on the street is that Allentown CC is throwing a ton of money at a current college coach to be the new HC there. I know from experience that 7on7 teams are a joke and a 100% a money grab. Going through the recruiting process with my son, college coaches were bashing the “aau 7on7” thing.
I don't think 7 on 7 is a complete joke. You just have some teams that sell a dream speech in order to attract children. One of our biggest knocks up north is game speed. 7on7 allows our boys to compete against some kids they would never compete against and measure their skills against other top recruits. If there's any programs promising scholarships and offers they should be banned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT