ADVERTISEMENT

District 7-WPIAL- Big-School Powers

2020sports

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2020
On another thread- there was discussion about PCC- whether they "dominate boundary schools" so I looked back through "wpial records" for the highest division over the last 5 years- some surprises, can debate some, ranked, mostly based upon "boundary school success" only 5A or 6A WPIAL opponents, kinda informally by my own rules!! 2019-2023
1- North Allegheny- only 5 total losses, and 1 District Title
2-Pine Richland- 6 total losses, 3 Districts and 2 State (we could debate numbers 1 and 2)
3-Mt Lebo- 10 total losses, 1 District and 1 State Title
4- PCC- 10 total losses- 1 District (no state titles)
5- Gateway- 12 total losses, 1 District (could debate 5 and 6)
6- Peters- 11 total losses, No District titles (2 runners-up)
7-Penn Trafford- 13 total losses, 1 District, 1 State (could debate rank 5, 6 or 7)

This really puts it in perspective. I think SJP has lost 2 games to PA schools during that time frame. Lasalle and Lebo. And they avenged the Lasalle game that same year. Really a league of their own

On another thread- there was discussion about PCC- whether they "dominate boundary schools" so I looked back through "wpial records" for the highest division over the last 5 years- some surprises, can debate some, ranked, mostly based upon "boundary school success" only 5A or 6A WPIAL opponents, kinda informally by my own rules!! 2019-2023
1- North Allegheny- only 5 total losses, and 1 District Title
2-Pine Richland- 6 total losses, 3 Districts and 2 State (we could debate numbers 1 and 2)
3-Mt Lebo- 10 total losses, 1 District and 1 State Title
4- PCC- 10 total losses- 1 District (no state titles)
5- Gateway- 12 total losses, 1 District (could debate 5 and 6)
6- Peters- 11 total losses, No District titles (2 runners-up)
7-Penn Trafford- 13 total losses, 1 District, 1 State (could debate rank 5, 6 or 7)
There is no real dominant private school on the western part of the state. There's not a sjp type schools on the western part of the state. The most dominant school in this area over the past decade has been Pine Richland, belle Vernon, aliquippa, Thomas Jefferson and Farrell. I wander if the dominance of the private schools out east has killed the public schools over there especially in the bigger classification. District one is a shell of their old self. With wood not taking the bucks county athletes you're seeing a rise in cb west and cb south.

Last edited:
Reactions: lilromeo and new2pa
It’s basic math. About 30% of the PA population live in SE PA. About 3 million people live in commuting distance to SJP.

It is what it is and this doesn’t count NJ.

It’s basic math. About 30% of the PA population live in SE PA. About 3 million people live in commuting distance to SJP.

It is what it is and this doesn’t count NJ.
I'm surprised it's not higher than 30%. Are you counting Chester County too? SJP gets some students from eastern parts of ChesCo.

But it should also be noted that there are lots of other non-boundary schools in SE PA and in NJ that have good football programs and that are therefore competing with SJP for all its students / players. Then there's TEP, which I don't think has a western PA equivalent.

I don't know anything about PCC's academics, but it's true that every year students/players who want to come to SJP are not admitted and that students / players who came to SJP leave for academic reasons. For obvious reasons, there's never been much attention paid to the reasons for those transfers.

I'm surprised it's not higher than 30%. Are you counting Chester County too? SJP gets some students from eastern parts of ChesCo.

But it should also be noted that there are lots of other non-boundary schools in SE PA and in NJ that have good football programs and that are therefore competing with SJP for all its students / players. Then there's TEP, which I don't think has a western PA equivalent.

I don't know anything about PCC's academics, but it's true that every year students/players who want to come to SJP are not admitted and that students / players who came to SJP leave for academic reasons. For obvious reasons, there's never been much attention paid to the reasons for those transfers.
PCC is very challenging academicly and isn't cheap to attend. It's one of the top schools academicly in the Pittsburgh area and their athletes have to maintain a certain gpa. I'm sure prep is similar. Prep offers these athletes the opportunity to play with and against top D1 talent. Then they will offer them the opportunity to get there gps up and hopefully to land a major college scholarship. A lot of these athletes will go to prep with the better chance of landing those football scholarship. When your playing with Marvin Harrison, d'andre swift, Kyle McCord, ect... every major college coach and scout will be there. Add playing img on ESPN and a national schedule forget about it. They will get the top talent in new Jersey and Philly. You see that with Imhoteps basketball team. As long as prep wants to really support their football team as they been doing I don't see that machine slowing down at all. They will be the favorite in CV every year.

PCC is very challenging academicly and isn't cheap to attend. It's one of the top schools academicly in the Pittsburgh area and their athletes have to maintain a certain gpa. I'm sure prep is similar. Prep offers these athletes the opportunity to play with and against top D1 talent. Then they will offer them the opportunity to get there gps up and hopefully to land a major college scholarship. A lot of these athletes will go to prep with the better chance of landing those football scholarship. When your playing with Marvin Harrison, d'andre swift, Kyle McCord, ect... every major college coach and scout will be there. Add playing img on ESPN and a national schedule forget about it. They will get the top talent in new Jersey and Philly. You see that with Imhoteps basketball team. As long as prep wants to really support their football team as they been doing I don't see that machine slowing down at all. They will be the favorite in CV every year.
Correct me if I am wrong but Harrison, Swift and McCord all are from NJ .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT