ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Connor New HC at Carroll

GG. From your posts last year I understand that you had some knowledge of the O'Hara HC search. They didn't want Wood, is that correct? And if so why?

There has to be some more guys out there for either of these jobs. If Wood didn't impress the O'Hara people then who did? I find it hard to believe he's the only option out there.

Footballwhiz Dave Wood did interview for O'Hara position. He was one of seven guys who got second interviews who wanted the job. Was an excellent candidate. The final four guys were deemed to be better fits due to a variety of reasons that revolved around how much time, effort and energy would really be required outside of actually coaching football and participating in the needed role available inside the building. O'Hara got exactly what they where looking for in terms of Hogan and the two jobs he fills at O'Hara. He was best candidate and fit for those jobs.

Other three guys I won't name but will tell you their profiles. Coordinator in his 30's of another local high school program near O'Hara with multiple O'Hara ties and connections. Former high school head coach from out of state in his 30's who was an assistant in an FBS program at the time and knew of opening through a former college teammate with O'Hara ties, D-2 assistant coach in his 20s who had been an assistant coach in PCL and had some O'Hara family connections. All would be excellent head coaches in my opinion. Not sure if any of them have applied for current openings. Thought was given the landscape to succeed you needed two things. A coach with energy who can coach, engage alums, attract kids to the school via his program, participate in every single element of making the school and football program viable again. Second thing needed is money. In every single format the school and program can get it while working hand in hand with the president of the school. O'Hara has the first piece. Carroll probably has that as well now. It's part two that's tricky.

Let's take Carroll. Let's say you want to be able to provide 15 kids a year some tuition assistance. Let's say you want them to go for $5,000 so they have skin in the game. That's $97,500 a year for four years at a 6,500 break. Back of envelope math says that's a annual budget of $400,000. That's a lot of alumni support. Plus you have to find the kids and win them just to take your cash. And then they actually have to be able to play come high school. Not easy considering some 14 year olds are fully grown men and others are boys. The fact that this is the real deal is quite frankly sad and absurd given that it's high school athletics but that's the reality.

Reactions: Aragorn
Delco:
Why is it you have to beat around the bush without actually talking about the subject in hand. No one but you have talked about Clancy in this thread. It's about DC not Clancy. Does DC think highly of Clancy, absolutely, but here again the subject isn't about Clancy.
As far as kids going to catholic school, you know that school on Providence Rd called St. John's. Kids have gone directly to OHara and Carrol thru the years from St. Johns. And then there was St. James!!
SH kids were playing at Rose Tree long before state title games. Don't forget the Wallingford Huskies in the 1990's. My point is kids from Haven aren't playing weight ball anymore and it shows on the field.
You're right the Connors didn't play at Rose Tree, they played CYO ball at St. Francis (that's still weight ball). Start doing your homework before you come on here.
I hate to break the news to you, but 4-4 is exactly that. It doesn't matter if it's close or not, a lose is a lose, period.
Your final note, once again you keep bring up Clancy, DC becoming a HC at Carroll has nothing to do with Clancy. If kids from anywhere want to play for DC, that's their choice.

Why is it you have to beat around the bush without actually talking about the subject in hand. No one but you have talked about Clancy in this thread. It's about DC not Clancy. Does DC think highly of Clancy, absolutely, but here again the subject isn't about Clancy.
As far as kids going to catholic school, you know that school on Providence Rd called St. John's. Kids have gone directly to OHara and Carrol thru the years from St. Johns. And then there was St. James!!
SH kids were playing at Rose Tree long before state title games. Don't forget the Wallingford Huskies in the 1990's. My point is kids from Haven aren't playing weight ball anymore and it shows on the field.
You're right the Connors didn't play at Rose Tree, they played CYO ball at St. Francis (that's still weight ball). Start doing your homework before you come on here.
I hate to break the news to you, but 4-4 is exactly that. It doesn't matter if it's close or not, a lose is a lose, period.
Your final note, once again you keep bring up Clancy, DC becoming a HC at Carroll has nothing to do with Clancy. If kids from anywhere want to play for DC, that's their choice.

Please you keep implying that Haven is going down hill and needs to make a change, read your own posts. St. Johns only go up to 8th grade genius and most of them come to Haven after that. Playing for the Huskies and Rose Tree helps but isn't the reason the last couple of years have been rough ones at the Haven. All the players play weight ball at the middle school genius, they have for years with great coaching down there. Why would someone at Haven pay $11.000 to get their asses kicked by Wood, Lasalle and the Prep just so they could play for DC? Explain genius.

Please you keep implying that Haven is going down hill and needs to make a change, read your own posts. St. Johns only go up to 8th grade genius and most of them come to Haven after that. Playing for the Huskies and Rose Tree helps but isn't the reason the last couple of years have been rough ones at the Haven. All the players play weight ball at the middle school genius, they have for years with great coaching down there. Why would someone at Haven pay $11.000 to get their asses kicked by Wood, Lasalle and the Prep just so they could play for DC? Explain genius.

Delco: Yes I'm a genius and you're an idiot. Let's go through your sentences:
1. You said "Please you keep implying that Haven is going down hill". I only stated Haven was going down hill ONCE!!!!! Second part of your sentence you said, "and needs to make a change, read your own posts." Well, most of us can all read and there's not were in my 5 posts do I say that so that's a LIE. So, maybe you need to go back and reread my posts.
2. You said,"St. Johns only go up to 8th grade genius. My statement in Post 5 read, "Kids have gone directly to OHara and Carrol thru the years from St. Johns." Everyone knows they go up to middle school, you just can't read. The second part of your sentence "and most of them come to Haven after that." No one is debating that. The majority of the kids in each twp go to their school district.
3. You said, "Playing for the Huskies and Rose Tree helps but isn't the reason the last couple of years have been rough ones at the Haven." I told you the Huskies played in the 1990's. Obviously, it had no affect in the last 2 years. I totally disagree, I know weight ball/CYO plays a major roll in the development of players and I don't care whether you agree or not, it's my opinion.
4. Learn football terms before you make statements. You said," All the players play weight ball at the middle school genius, they have for years with great coaching down there." When posters come on here and talk about weight ball/CYO, they refer to kids who are 8-14 years old. Middle school football is called middle school ball not weight ball. Players who play weight ball also play middle school ball at the same time. Yes, middle school ball is broken down into 2 weight classes 115 or 120's and unlimited weight, but weight ball is referred to as an youth ball. For years posters have talked about weight ball and public school coaches aren't permitted to attend their games. Middle school football come under the high school coach umbrella where the middle school coaches can use the varsity HC playbook.
5. You said,"Why would someone at Haven pay $11.000 to get their asses kicked by Wood, Lasalle and the Prep just so they could play for DC?" Boy, you really missed the boat on this one. What's the number 1 reason parents send their kids to private school? In this case, it's a catholic school education. DC is the cherry on top. It doesn't matter to some parents if SH is the 2nd best school in the state, it's their right as a parent to send their kids to private schools.

So you aren't calling for Clancy to step down ? Your comment about other delco schools are making changes was a clear shot at Haven not also doing so. But deny all you like. Weight ball is weight ball regardless of their ages. There have been plenty of all state players that never played anything but Middle school football come through Haven. Smallest amount of students leave our district in the entire central league, so do your research!!! Ha ha ha... my point stands, what a great supporter of Haven football, kicking the team when they're down and encouraging hall of fame coach to be ousted.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT