ADVERTISEMENT

Big 33

Regardless of the weather, it's sad to see how much of an afterthought the game was to PSFCA. No TV? Sad. Considering how NFL will pump up Big 33 at Super Bowl time, disappointing they'd rather show another rerun of "A Football Life" and not the game. Get Ross Tucker and a play-by-play guy and make this the premier event is should be for PA High School Football.

Regardless of the weather, it's sad to see how much of an afterthought the game was to PSFCA. No TV? Sad. Considering how NFL will pump up Big 33 at Super Bowl time, disappointing they'd rather show another rerun of "A Football Life" and not the game. Get Ross Tucker and a play-by-play guy and make this the premier event is should be for PA High School Football.

I'm not sure how you can make a game played in June by an all-star team that does not include--as has been the case for several years--many of the best players in the state "the premier event ... for PA High School Football." From photos I've seen, it's had a very modest attendance for many years and last night's attendance was particularly weak. When the opposition was Ohio there seemed to be more interest, but Ohio withdrew for its own reasons.

I couldn't be more disappointed in the whole scenario. I attended the game almost yearly from the early 60s until I had health issues .Even when that occurred I still had the game to watch on PCN. This game used to be one of the great events after the season ended. To be selected was a huge honor .It has evolved to almost an afterthought sorry to say. Our local newspaper didn't have any mention beforehand of the two local players that were to play . Unbelievable to me that the lack of coverage has diminished so much. The final roster looked nothing like the original one selected back in February which was a nice group of mostly D-1 players . Times have certainly changed , and I for one am not happy about it.

I couldn't be more disappointed in the whole scenario. I attended the game almost yearly from the early 60s until I had health issues .Even when that occurred I still had the game to watch on PCN. This game used to be one of the great events after the season ended. To be selected was a huge honor .It has evolved to almost an afterthought sorry to say. Our local newspaper didn't have any mention beforehand of the two local players that were to play . Unbelievable to me that the lack of coverage has diminished so much. The final roster looked nothing like the original one selected back in February which was a nice group of mostly D-1 players . Times have certainly changed , and I for one am not happy about it.
I've been around a long time too--though not apparently as long as you have. And sometimes I get nostalgic about the days when the PCL and the city championship games were both played at Franklin Field, when nearly every school played a meaningful Thanksgiving game that was very well attended (SJP and Roman drew 5K+ regardless of how good or bad their teams were) and when the PCL played almost all its games on Sunday afternoons regardless of whether the Eagles were on TV because enough people were more interested in how their favorite high school team did than in watching the Eagles. But those days are long gone and will never come back for a whole host of reasons. My sense is that the Big 33 game belongs more to that era than to the present day.

Reactions: lilromeo
I've been around a long time too--though not apparently as long as you have. And sometimes I get nostalgic about the days when the PCL and the city championship games were both played at Franklin Field, when nearly every school played a meaningful Thanksgiving game that was very well attended (SJP and Roman drew 5K+ regardless of how good or bad their teams were) and when the PCL played almost all its games on Sunday afternoons regardless of whether the Eagles were on TV because enough people were more interested in how their favorite high school team did than in watching the Eagles. But those days are long gone and will never come back for a whole host of reasons. My sense is that the Big 33 game belongs more to that era than to the present day.
Tulla, your post brought back many Sunday afternoon memories. There were always good if not great crowds . Thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT