ADVERTISEMENT

Any Wpial 4A contenders not named PCC or Woody Hills?

WpialHSFB

Nov 30, 2010
PCC & WH loaded this year. In my opinion potential for the best teams from the WPIAL since the NA runs a few years ago. Any real threats to win 4A? Penn Trafford perhaps?

McKeesport is always a tough out and has athletes. What about Penn Hill

Penn Trafford will definitely be a contender. The return some nice size up front as well as QB and great WR. The were 11-0 last year before running into PCC in the semi-finals. They basically couldn't stop PCC's offense, which was mainly Petrician running zone read. They scored ok, but I think in the long run to play with PCC, you have to spread them out.

The other team to watch is NA. They will be hug this year up front, and that probably means they will run the ball well - over and over and over. They lose pretty much all their skill but have a transfer RB (from PCC of all places) coming back that is small but lightening quick. They will be very solid on D as usual.

Finally, Bethel Park is a dark horse. Played alot of young kids last year and they have a 4 year starter back at QB. Their numbers were way down tho - something like 40 kids at the end of the year, so not sure how that is going to go for them if they get any injuries.

I don't know much about Penn Hills - they did lose some kids - but folks out here always say they find a way to lose. (Sorta like last year).

But, if I had to pick one of these three as the next best team, it would be NA.

Penn Trafford will definitely be a contender. The return some nice size up front as well as QB and great WR. The were 11-0 last year before running into PCC in the semi-finals. They basically couldn't stop PCC's offense, which was mainly Petrician running zone read. They scored ok, but I think in the long run to play with PCC, you have to spread them out.

The other team to watch is NA. They will be hug this year up front, and that probably means they will run the ball well - over and over and over. They lose pretty much all their skill but have a transfer RB (from PCC of all places) coming back that is small but lightening quick. They will be very solid on D as usual.

Finally, Bethel Park is a dark horse. Played alot of young kids last year and they have a 4 year starter back at QB. Their numbers were way down tho - something like 40 kids at the end of the year, so not sure how that is going to go for them if they get any injuries.

I don't know much about Penn Hills - they did lose some kids - but folks out here always say they find a way to lose. (Sorta like last year).

But, if I had to pick one of these three as the next best team, it would be NA.

Most definitely. I think there are a number of teams besides Woody and Central Catholic if history and returning starters have anything to do with it.

Foothills:
Pretty much an annual no brainer picking McKeesport with essentially zero competition especially since the demise and AAA drop of Gateway and Tigers long history of fielding strong teams. But Penn Trafford has had a nice 4 year run, 35-10, following a 14-26 four year cycle and return a great nucleus. And they really dominated McKeesport last year, 28-0, with a physical defense that destroyed Tigers’ great ground game, shutting down running back K. Hudson at McKeesport. It’s a real weak conference with Plum, Norwin Connellsville, Hempfield, Latrobe and Kiski going a combined 18- 40, providing for inflated stats and a 7-0 conference log for the upper echelon teams. Altoona bounced back last year at 8-3 after six straight losing seasons (14-43) but graduated most of that team giving Quad East the appearance of a two team race. So aside from perennial power McKeesport who returns most of their running backs (K. Hudson 1573ry), Penn Trafford should field another strong edition with a lot of last year’s11-1 team back. Hempfield brings back enough to make the post season and ruffle some feathers but not challenge.

Northern 8:
Like McKeesport we all know Central Catholic and North Allegheny are givens every year. Both were real close last year with Pitt CC losing by 8 in the rematch with Pine Rich and NA losing by 4 to both Pine Rich and Penn Traf. North Hills….? Usually play solid D but last year’s team was slow, not like speed teams like PHills and Woody. Rocked by PR, PCC, NA and Woody by a combined 34-124! Don’t believe that Pine Rich is going away anytime soon, not with their dynamic coach.

Southeastern:
This looks like the best race in town with more competitive teams at the top or near to it than the Northern-8. No way a Jim Render teams has two losing seasons in a row. USC has a pile of linemen, typical Panther lineman, Fennell 6-4 285, Miller 5-11 225, Ford 6-6 300, TE Houy 6-5 245 and Lund has a lot of experience at QB. D started at least 4 sophs last year. Get Penn Hills, Bethel, NA and Lebo at home. Penn Hills is loaded with dual threat QB Kisner back, 448py, 1019ry. Graduated a lot of people but always have speed. But something is in the water out there (like Gateway) losing games they shouldn’t lose, Bethel at home 31-28, Plum in 1st rd 17-6 ?? while averaging 33ppg. Like that QB tho! Bethel Park return QB Methany but graduated RB Minton’s 1237ry and leading receivers. Played everybody last year so HUGE numbers-experience returns with maybe 13 seniors graduating from last year’s team. Could surprise. Lebo returns a lot with a QB who is similar to Kisner at PH, good arm and decent legs rushing for 514yds, passing for 1229. 5-1 before the crash and burn in last 4 losing to NHills, Woody, USC and McKees 38- 155. Other loss was PHills 41-21 so they were not ready for prime time but this is a new year. Quad Central has most of their quarterbacks returning.

I saw Penn Trafford against Central last year in the playoffs and I have to say I was impressed . They will be strong and similar to last year's Pine Richland team, a lot of good football players who make great plays.

NA's linemen will be huge - hearing 240-280 at every position, plus TEWing type kids.

Will they find enough skill players to make a deep run tho? Pope kid (Central transfer) figures to start at RB with Riley Truman at QB. Those kids are very athletic, but on the smaller side for those positions. Won't matter for most games, but aren't sure they can stack up with the size of PCC, Woody, and perhaps PT - all of which also have great skill players. I would handicap them behind PCC in the Quad North and a WPIAL semi-finalist.

I think the hard part is picking surprise teams that could go either way (win or lose) because let's face it, PCC, NA, Woody, McKeesport and USC are understood to have programs that barring the drastic, will be in the AAAA-AAA State Top 20 every year along side St. Joe's, Wood, Easton, Parkland, Wilson, McDevitt, Cathedral, North Penn, Coatesville, etc.
Speaking of USC, that's what I mean. Who would have picked them last year to have their first losing season or for a loaded Seneca Valley team to crumble. Sen Val came into last year resembling Pine Rich or Penn-Traf this year.
Plum had one of their best teams ever and second winning team in 13 years, losing to North Hills and Altoona by 3, Penn Traf by 7, denying a 8-1 regular season. Also had the second best yield at 13ppg of any team in the Foothills except McKeesport at 12 and one of the best if not the best turnarounds in the state. Who called that one!?

Those are the scenarios that are tough to handicap. Looking for the power teams that are going to slip like USC and the unheralded like Plum that may surprise. I think Plum will be tough again with Norwin possibly improved on 5-5. I know District-3 is loaded with Central Dauphin, Central Dauphin East, Lower Dauphin, Cedar Cliff and Wilson and it looks like D7 is stacking up that way too.

From each conference, I would pick the following surprise teams:

Foothills: Plum - was last year the peak, or are they building.
Northern 8: Pine Richland - will young QB be as good as expected.
Southeastern: Bethel Park - can't count out senior QB and lots of young kids who got experience last year.

Speaking of transfers, Central usually loses more than they gain. Didn't know about Pope but they will have a new weapon in RB Justice Evans. I've heard that he will be the tailback. He must be good because Ron George will play defense.

PR played against Evans the last two years when he was at Kiski. Very good athlete on a very, very bad team...

Interesting picks for surprise teams for all the reason s you mentioned. We'll see if Mustangs have turned corner; that would be fun and finally give McKeesport some comp for a change....not counting PT's recent success.

And nothing Coach K does at PR will surprise me as I see him as the West's version of Matt Ortega at Coatesville. In my view he's the real deal!

Bethel does have a pile coming back so we'll see if they can make a run like a few years ago. My nephew was dating a girl at Pitt who went there keeping me posted on Black Hawks. Quite a run!

Interesting picks for surprise teams for all the reason s you mentioned. We'll see if Mustangs have turned corner; that would be fun and finally give McKeesport some comp for a change....not counting PT's recent success.

And nothing Coach K does at PR will surprise me as I see him as the West's version of Matt Ortega at Coatesville. In my view he's the real deal!

Bethel does have a pile coming back so we'll see if they can make a run like a few years ago. My nephew was dating a girl at Pitt who went there keeping me posted on Black Hawks. Quite a run!

I agree on Coach K and think PR will be in the discussions going forward. Have you seen their football complex? Couple $ million and pretty darn impressive. Everything I am hearing says that in 2-3 years they will stacked with a very nice group coming up through the ranks.

I agree on Coach K and think PR will be in the discussions going forward. Have you seen their football complex? Couple $ million and pretty darn impressive. Everything I am hearing says that in 2-3 years they will stacked with a very nice group coming up through the ranks.

A couple things are happening at PR (or have really hit their stride) since Coach K has taken over:
  • Talent level is slowly going up, and as you said, facilities are probably best in PA (stadium, weightroom, uniforms, equipment, etc.)
  • They have a progressive football philosophy (up tempo offense, modern defense, sensible practice ideas - i.e. less contact) that appeals to kids and parents.
  • Parents are putting both their energy and $$'s behind the program.
  • Numbers in the football program are increasing. The will probably have something like 60-70 in the top 3 grades, please 35-40 more in 9th.
  • In addition, move-ins that are athletic now look at PR as a viable option. Particularly skill kids that aren't interested in 3 yards and a cloud of dust. And with PR being a top 5 school in the Pittsburgh region, parents don't have any worries in the classroom either.
And, the last senior class hit at the perfect time, along with the current freshman class. If they can avoid a let down this year, I would think they would be among the top 4 teams in the WPIAL in 2016, and the favorite in 2017. That class has several explosive athletes, and the QB could end up being better than DiNucci.

I hope to get out to watch their spring practice which is coming up soon. I hear the way they practice is pretty new school too - high tempo all the time, lots of reps, etc.

No, I've never been to PR's facilities but know the program is special in all ways. Thanks for the detail of your info. From D3 living in D1 now.
Got to say to you guys....it's good coming on a board where you actually talk about football "teams"...what they have, lost, expectations....instead of privates "recruiting"; if it happens, the unfairness if it does and so on. Damned...deal with it!. Guys actually talking about football teams. Yikes!
I told guys on the Eastern side that we don't bitch about that stuff in other districts meaning D-3 and D7, but wow could we ever in Harrisburg with McDevitt dominating or a few years back when Trinity in Camp Hill-Shiremanstown was doing it (losing guy to McD now!), even Delone Catholic in McSherrystown drawing guys from as far away as Gettysburg and surrounding areas. Berks Catholic is building big time too, coming to dominate the D3-AA landscape with Wyomissing.

Reactions: lilromeo
No, I've never been to PR's facilities but know the program is special in all ways. Thanks for the detail of your info. From D3 living in D1 now.
Got to say to you guys....it's good coming on a board where you actually talk about football "teams"...what they have, lost, expectations....instead of privates "recruiting"; if it happens, the unfairness if it does and so on. Damned...deal with it!. Guys actually talking about football teams. Yikes!
I told guys on the Eastern side that we don't bitch about that stuff in other districts meaning D-3 and D7, but wow could we ever in Harrisburg with McDevitt dominating or a few years back when Trinity in Camp Hill-Shiremanstown was doing it (losing guy to McD now!), even Delone Catholic in McSherrystown drawing guys from as far away as Gettysburg and surrounding areas. Berks Catholic is building big time too, coming to dominate the D3-AA landscape with Wyomissing.
Im from the east,and couldn't agree more with your comments regarding the west talking football instead of other things . So ,with that said , I would like folks thoughts about the best of AAA . I believe the east will be dominated by Imhotep this year if they don't go offsides too much. Said in jest ,but has some truth to it. Who will challenge them ?

Here’s a fast rundown on many of the AAA West teams excluding D1, 11, 12 and 2. Maybe someone else will jump on those. This is just a quick hit overview .

Lilromeo….Imhotep has the talent but consistent history of folding in the big game, losing in 2013 to SoFay 41-0 and Wyomissing the preceding year 35-13. Saw some things in those games to have you scratch your head. No faith in them....at all! A decent Wood team will again handle them. Like a lot of teams around the state, they're reloading but a rebuilt-loaded Wood team is real good stuff!

District 3;
Mid Penn:
Same for McDevitt in 3 who always has a lot of talent. You expect a drop-off there like Wood and never really know how the new starters will do. McDevitt's conference mate Red Land graduated a good team at 9-4 that couldn't keep up with them last year, so things look questionable there. Another conference rival Susquehanna Township had recently been a perennial power until the last two seasons (6-6, 3-7) that followed a 5 year 38-19 run. They have bodies back and I wouldn’t expect them to be down long. Another Mid-Penn team, 9-3 Milton Hershey returns a pile of players but haven’t been able to break into the upper tier anymore than Northern, Greencastle-Antrim, Hershey or Ship have.
York-Adams: teams like Gettysburg (8-3), recently moved over from the Mid Penn haven’t cut it either losing to West York 49-27 and Milton Hershey 27-14 although West York (10-2) is always a team to keep your eye on. They do have the players and tradition, losing with a 13-1 team to McDevitt (14-1, 18th-USA Today) in 2012’s quarterfinals 21-10. Bulldogs are one of the top Triple-A’s in the district. Nice soph back last year at +700ry.
LL-2: is interesting with Cocalico (10-4) bringing back their QB along with Solanco (6-5) and Lampeter Strasburg (8-3) although LS's QB has sadly been diagnosed with cancer. Solanco is new to the dance so we’ll see how they handle it. I don’t think they’re ready for prime time per losses to Henderson 35-0, Man Cent 34-3, Red Land 40-14. Garden Spot 7-4 loses the QB but returns much of the rest. Man Central has a good back and some D people returning but the major coaching change.
Berks FB: Has traditional AAA powers Conrad Weiser (7-5), Boone (8-5) and Muhlenberg (2-8). When Weiser is on they beat Susquehanna Twp, when not, they lose to Red Land. Return the QB, more than a few sizeable lineman and enough to the D so if they can get that plow horse to run behind the line with a vet QB to threaten, they could make some noise. Lost to Quad-A playoff teams Reading 20-13 and Exeter Twp 24-23 but plastered by the real stuff in Governor Mifflin 49-14. Boone hasn’t been the same since Coach Bodolus resigned after the 2011 season. Muhlenberg’s Muhls haven’t had much kick lately either, struggling the last five with only two winning seasons following a decade plus of good football where they amassed five nine win seasons and a ten win season. But the Mulies are exciting, often giving up as many as they allow!

District 4;
Heartland I:
Selinsgrove (9-4) should be improved with QB Logan Leiby back and RB Juvon Batts. Losses were to Berwick (9-3), Jersey Shore (11-1), Southern (11-1) and Somerset (14-2) but this was still not your typical bad-ass, knock down Seal team. Jersey Shore had a wicked D (7ppg) last year and looked like they’d go somewhere but lost to Seals in first round (rematch) 6-2 at home! Return two solid backs, FB Bryce Charles, 6-0, 235, 402ry and Levi Lorson 1856ry.

District 5;
Somerset (14-2) is going to be loaded again with their primary players back, QB Dylan Barnes (+1500py, +700ry) and RB Jake Heiple (1595ry). Heck of a run last year exposing Bethlehem Catholic 30-0 with a quick-physical line combined with a balanced O before getting handled by Archbishop Wood 63-20 in the semifinal.

District 7; It looks like Central Valley (15-1, state runner up) will field another strong group while West Allegheny (11-2) deals with huge grad-talent losses. TJ (11-1) returns QB and most of D that got run over in their only loss last year to West A 41-0. And Franklin Regional (7-4) have a lot of people back with half the D joining multi-threat QB Santino Birty making it look like a Wpial repeat repping the West unless McDevitt replaces a lot of offensive firepower.

District 10;
Cathedral (11-1) has some reloading to do but like McDevitt and Wood, they usually reload with good stuff.

Reactions: lilromeo
Here’s a fast rundown on many of the AAA West teams excluding D1, 11, 12 and 2. Maybe someone else will jump on those. This is just a quick hit overview .

Lilromeo….Imhotep has the talent but consistent history of folding in the big game, losing in 2013 to SoFay 41-0 and Wyomissing the preceding year 35-13. Saw some things in those games to have you scratch your head. No faith in them....at all! A decent Wood team will again handle them. Like a lot of teams around the state, they're reloading but a rebuilt-loaded Wood team is real good stuff!

District 3;
Mid Penn:
Same for McDevitt in 3 who always has a lot of talent. You expect a drop-off there like Wood and never really know how the new starters will do. McDevitt's conference mate Red Land graduated a good team at 9-4 that couldn't keep up with them last year, so things look questionable there. Another conference rival Susquehanna Township had recently been a perennial power until the last two seasons (6-6, 3-7) that followed a 5 year 38-19 run. They have bodies back and I wouldn’t expect them to be down long. Another Mid-Penn team, 9-3 Milton Hershey returns a pile of players but haven’t been able to break into the upper tier anymore than Northern, Greencastle-Antrim, Hershey or Ship have.
York-Adams: teams like Gettysburg (8-3), recently moved over from the Mid Penn haven’t cut it either losing to West York 49-27 and Milton Hershey 27-14 although West York (10-2) is always a team to keep your eye on. They do have the players and tradition, losing with a 13-1 team to McDevitt (14-1, 18th-USA Today) in 2012’s quarterfinals 21-10. Bulldogs are one of the top Triple-A’s in the district. Nice soph back last year at +700ry.
LL-2: is interesting with Cocalico (10-4) bringing back their QB along with Solanco (6-5) and Lampeter Strasburg (8-3) although LS's QB has sadly been diagnosed with cancer. Solanco is new to the dance so we’ll see how they handle it. I don’t think they’re ready for prime time per losses to Henderson 35-0, Man Cent 34-3, Red Land 40-14. Garden Spot 7-4 loses the QB but returns much of the rest. Man Central has a good back and some D people returning but the major coaching change.
Berks FB: Has traditional AAA powers Conrad Weiser (7-5), Boone (8-5) and Muhlenberg (2-8). When Weiser is on they beat Susquehanna Twp, when not, they lose to Red Land. Return the QB, more than a few sizeable lineman and enough to the D so if they can get that plow horse to run behind the line with a vet QB to threaten, they could make some noise. Lost to Quad-A playoff teams Reading 20-13 and Exeter Twp 24-23 but plastered by the real stuff in Governor Mifflin 49-14. Boone hasn’t been the same since Coach Bodolus resigned after the 2011 season. Muhlenberg’s Muhls haven’t had much kick lately either, struggling the last five with only two winning seasons following a decade plus of good football where they amassed five nine win seasons and a ten win season. But the Mulies are exciting, often giving up as many as they allow!

District 4;
Heartland I:
Selinsgrove (9-4) should be improved with QB Logan Leiby back and RB Juvon Batts. Losses were to Berwick (9-3), Jersey Shore (11-1), Southern (11-1) and Somerset (14-2) but this was still not your typical bad-ass, knock down Seal team. Jersey Shore had a wicked D (7ppg) last year and looked like they’d go somewhere but lost to Seals in first round (rematch) 6-2 at home! Return two solid backs, FB Bryce Charles, 6-0, 235, 402ry and Levi Lorson 1856ry.

District 5;
Somerset (14-2) is going to be loaded again with their primary players back, QB Dylan Barnes (+1500py, +700ry) and RB Jake Heiple (1595ry). Heck of a run last year exposing Bethlehem Catholic 30-0 with a quick-physical line combined with a balanced O before getting handled by Archbishop Wood 63-20 in the semifinal.

District 7; It looks like Central Valley (15-1, state runner up) will field another strong group while West Allegheny (11-2) deals with huge grad-talent losses. TJ (11-1) returns QB and most of D that got run over in their only loss last year to West A 41-0. And Franklin Regional (7-4) have a lot of people back with half the D joining multi-threat QB Santino Birty making it look like a Wpial repeat repping the West unless McDevitt replaces a lot of offensive firepower.

District 10;
Cathedral (11-1) has some reloading to do but like McDevitt and Wood, they usually reload with good stuff.
Stalker,that was a great summary,thanks and I hope you are right about Wood over Imhotep. One of these years Imhotep will get it right and when they do ,look out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT