ADVERTISEMENT

Any information on st Joes schedule 2024

lilromeo

Gold Member
Apr 14, 2014
Since Romans has been recognized ,I was interested if the Preps has been announced yet ?

Since Romans has been recognized ,I was interested if the Preps has been announced yet ?
SJP never says anything about its non-league schedule until the spring and usually doesn't announce the whole schedule till about June. I don't think they're deliberately keeping people in the dark. It's just that it's been hard to nail down some of the specifics.

Reactions: lilromeo
here's the schedule

a few out of state powerhouses

a bunch of teams in PA that can't compete with them

state title trophy handed to them some time in early December

• Angry
Reactions: Fletchster1
here's the schedule

a few out of state powerhouses

a bunch of teams in PA that can't compete with them

state title trophy handed to them some time in early December
So with the graduation of eight starters on offense (including the starting and back-up QB), six on defense, and the kicker, SJP is still guaranteed a state championship?

So with the graduation of eight starters on offense (including the starting and back-up QB), six on defense, and the kicker, SJP is still guaranteed a state championship?
Shoot. And I already had them penciled in.
Good teams from last year like Nazareth, State College and Harrisburg return good numbers and people at key positions. I've been involved or known of games won by inferior teams enough to know anything can happen in sports. Football especially with the many variables of a season; weather, location in schedule, injuries/sickness, home-away, refs, etc, etc and etc X 10.
Even in hoops. Sometimes the ball just won't drop. A college team I was watching a few nights ago missed 14 of their first 17 shots, Ky or Hou. Me personally; Coach called a time out vs Carlisle some years ago when they were GOOD with my first shot going over the backboard, not being used to their see-thru fiberglass boards and the lighting. As someone said, it ain't over til it's over.

it's always cute when you pretend your favorite team doesn't have MAJOR advantages over everybody else

your backups would beat most teams, your "down year" in 2021 was losing in the state title game with a team of freshman and sophomores

it's always cute when you pretend your favorite team doesn't have MAJOR advantages over everybody else

your backups would beat most teams, your "down year" in 2021 was losing in the state title game with a team of freshman and sophomores
Not sure it's a compliment that you find me cute.

What's the closest you've ever been to SJP? It's interesting that, in general, posters from the Philly area are far less focused on SJP's advantages than people in other parts of the state. That's partly because they have some real idea of what kids who live where Prep kids live have to do day in and day out to be successful, academically and athletically, at SJP.

SJP has one major advantage: its ability to draw students/players from the general Philly area, including parts of South Jersey. Many other schools in the Philly area have the same advantage. Because of location, SJP has a larger catchment area than, say, LaSalle, but other schools, including LaSalle, have advantages SJP doesn't have. Some have practice fields onsite; others have their own home fields; most have less rigorous academic standards, etc. And of course at all public schools no parent has to pay a penny for anything--tuition, transportation, books, etc.

Also, you're wrong about the '21 team. There was a total of one freshman (Sacca) who saw a lot of playing time. West played a bit--but no one else. And there were more than a few prominent juniors and seniors among the key starters: Josiah Trotter (WVU), James Heard (WVU, now Syracuse), Keenan Nelson (SC), Cole Niles (Air Force), Brad Harris (Rutgers), Chadha (Rutgers, now Western Kentucky), Rocco Nicholl, Alec Treadway, Josh Barlow, Dane Picariello, Noah Klick, Matt Dumond, and Dan Daley come immediately to mind. But why let facts get in the way?

What's the closest you've ever been to SJP? It's interesting that, in general, posters from the Philly area are far less focused on SJP's advantages than people in other parts of the state. That's partly because they have some real idea of what kids who live where Prep kids live have to do day in and day out to be successful, academically and athletically, at SJP.

SJP has one major advantage: its ability to draw students/players from the general Philly area, including parts of South Jersey. Many other schools in the Philly area have the same advantage. Because of location, SJP has a larger catchment area than, say, LaSalle, but other schools, including LaSalle, have advantages SJP doesn't have. Some have practice fields onsite; others have their own home fields; most have less rigorous academic standards, etc. And of course at all public schools no parent has to pay a penny for anything--tuition, transportation, books, etc.

Also, you're wrong about the '21 team. There was a total of one freshman (Sacca) who saw a lot of playing time. West played a bit--but no one else. And there were more than a few prominent juniors and seniors among the key starters: Josiah Trotter (WVU), James Heard (WVU, now Syracuse), Keenan Nelson (SC), Cole Niles (Air Force), Brad Harris (Rutgers), Chadha (Rutgers, now Western Kentucky), Rocco Nicholl, Alec Treadway, Josh Barlow, Dane Picariello, Noah Klick, Matt Dumond, and Dan Daley come immediately to mind. But why let facts get in the way?
Saw LB Cole Niles once (I think Freedom-LaSalle?) at O'Hara here in the burbs and he got your attention. Good seeing him at AF. I imagine doing well.

your quarterback was a sophomore in 21 and many of their stars this year played then

having a practice field and home field is nice, but the cream always rises to the top when you are born with the DNA advantage

• Wow
Reactions: Football-Freaks
your quarterback was a sophomore in 21 and many of their stars this year played then

having a practice field and home field is nice, but the cream always rises to the top when you are born with the DNA advantage
Are you going to keep it secret how you got everyone's DNA profiles?

tulla wow- sure maybe

tulla... wow, sure, maybe some folks "don't understand" the realities of SJP- but wow, you pretty clearly don't understand the reality of an "average public school kid" playing HSFB in PA. SJP only has "one major advantage??" wow

Reactions: Fletchster1
Brady Field is just over a mile from SJP. Players get there via bus.
Good Lord - you've made it sound like they've had to travel to the Jersey Shore in order to practice.

York High's practice is at least 2-3 miles away.

The old school I coached at required us to travel 10 miles to practice routinely because our field was under water or was gutted due to logging. We didn't bitch about it.

There isn't a coach in PA that wouldn't sign up to have SJPs talent in order to bus their kids 1 mile a day.

re you going to keep it secret how you got everyone's DNA profiles?
Brady Field is just over a mile from SJP. Players get there via bus.
Good Lord - you've made it sound like they've had to travel to the Jersey Shore in order to practice.

The old school I coached at required us to travel 10 miles to practice routinely because our field was under water or was gutted due to logging. We didn't bitch about it.

There isn't a coach in PA that wouldn't sign up to have SJPs talent in order to bus their kids 1 mile a day.
Don't get me wrong I'm not a big fan of SJP, but the coaches and players you are talking about are dodging cow pies not bullets?

The point is not whether the practice field is one mile or five miles from the school. The point is that it's not on site and players have to take a bus to get there. How many public schools in PA do not have a practice field on site? My guess is that at least 90% of them do have them. with most of those that don't being in the large cities.

As I've said countless times, not having boundaries is a big advantage for SJP. But the distance students have to travel not between the school and the practice field but between their homes and school and the practice field is a genuine challenge. Kids are choosing between going to school and practice a mile or two away from their homes and going to school and practice 5, 10, 20, or even 30 miles away--and in late summer (largely because of the traffic situation) that means travelling those miles to a 6:00 am practice. It's the exact opposite of IMG where everything is made easier.

The point is not whether the practice field is one mile or five miles from the school. The point is that it's not on site and players have to take a bus to get there. How many public schools in PA do not have a practice field on site? My guess is that at least 90% of them do have them. with most of those that don't being in the large cities.

As I've said countless times, not having boundaries is a big advantage for SJP. But the distance students have to travel not between the school and the practice field but between their homes and school and the practice field is a genuine challenge. Kids are choosing between going to school and practice a mile or two away from their homes and going to school and practice 5, 10, 20, or even 30 miles away--and in late summer (largely because of the traffic situation) that means travelling those miles to a 6:00 am practice. It's the exact opposite of IMG where everything is made easier.
Here's the thing.. The players signed up for that lifestyle when they came to SJP. It's no different then college life. They (SJP) has recruited many of the kids on their roster just like college teams do and they know what they're signing up for. Many colleges do not have on campus practice facilities. Pitt's practice facility is probably 2-3 miles from campus.

In the Pittsburgh City League they face many of the same "challenges" in terms of logistics. The only difference is they don't build AAU type football teams through recruitment.

Here's the thing.. The players signed up for that lifestyle when they came to SJP. It's no different then college life. They (SJP) has recruited many of the kids on their roster just like college teams do and they know what they're signing up for. Many colleges do not have on campus practice facilities. Pitt's practice facility is probably 2-3 miles from campus.

In the Pittsburgh City League they face many of the same "challenges" in terms of logistics. The only difference is they don't build AAU type football teams through recruitment.
Bad comparison. Nearly all those Pitt players live on or near the Pitt campus and thus 2-3 miles from the practice field (and from their classes). Very few of the Prep players live less than five miles from the school. Also, Pitt and other D1 football programs are, in almost all cases, recruiting players who have demonstrated their talent and skills in at least a couple of years of high school football and every player who starts at Pitt (and I suspect much of the rest of the roster too) has a full scholarship. Many of the kids who eventually start at SJP have very little experience playing organized football when they come to SJP; some have none at all. (Note that I did not say "most"--but the families of most do pay a substantial amount of tuition and other fees, whereas the families of players at public schools don't have to pay anything at all.)

Again, it seems people from other parts of the state have notions about SJP that don't jive with the realities on the ground. Travelling every day to SJP from, say, Williamstown NJ or Lansdale PA is not like playing on a D1 college team.

In the Pittsburgh City League they face many of the same "challenges" in terms of logistics. The only difference is they don't I build AAU type football teams through recruitment.

I think every team the PCL requites their players. They all have school choice.

Bad comparison. Nearly all those Pitt players live on or near the Pitt campus and thus 2-3 miles from the practice field (and from their classes). Very few of the Prep players live less than five miles from the school. Also, Pitt and other D1 football programs are, in almost all cases, recruiting players who have demonstrated their talent and skills in at least a couple of years of high school football and every player who starts at Pitt (and I suspect much of the rest of the roster too) has a full scholarship. Many of the kids who eventually start at SJP have very little experience playing organized football when they come to SJP; some have none at all. (Note that I did not say "most"--but the families of most do pay a substantial amount of tuition and other fees, whereas the families of players at public schools don't have to pay anything at all.)

Again, it seems people from other parts of the state have notions about SJP that don't jive with the realities on the ground. Travelling every day to SJP from, say, Williamstown NJ or Lansdale PA is not like playing on a D1 college team.
tulla- you say the notions of people "don't jive with realities" at SJP. Well, sorry man, but your comments, and viewpoints do not "jive with the reality" of most public high school kids in PA. Playing FB is not zero cost for the average kids and family, at the average HS. SJP has many other "advantages" in addition to "open boundaries."

tulla- you say the notions of people "don't jive with realities" at SJP. Well, sorry man, but your comments, and viewpoints do not "jive with the reality" of most public high school kids in PA. Playing FB is not zero cost for the average kids and family, at the average HS. SJP has many other "advantages" in addition to "open boundaries."
OK, tell me then. How much do families of players at, say, P-R or NA or Harrisburg pay for tuition, books and supplies, transportation, other school fees, and football each year?

OK, tell me then. How much do families of players at, say, P-R or NA or Harrisburg pay for tuition, books and supplies, transportation, other school fees, and football each year?
so first of all, NA and PR are not "average." Secondly, I am not claiming that the cost is similar to a private/catholic school, just not zero.

so first of all, NA and PR are not "average." Secondly, I am not claiming that the cost is similar to a private/catholic school, just not zero.
So how much more than zero is it, approximately? My guess is that the costs are very far from similar.

A common misperception is that "everything is paid for" in a public school- totally not true. Even in wealthy schools like NA, and maybe Central Bucks schools- the "schools" don't pay for some stuff, like extra training, food, 7v7 camps, limited equipment purchases, some bussing to stuff.

Now- my comparison- sure this does not account for "everybody" but I'm sure there are some private / catholic school families, who live in apartments, and may have a discount for tuition? So that family might not pay much? It's possible for an average public school kid, parents buy a house and pay property tax- so that is a cost? So might almost "even out." Possible?

Now- actual fees- most HSs charge an activity fee, 100 to 200 bucks. And most every sport has a booster fee, could be 300-500 bucks. Most families have to do additional fundraising. So maybe another couple hundred bucks. So, maybe an "average public school kid" pays $500-1000 per year. Sure, yes, less than private schools, but not zero.

Again, my point here is two-fold- all sports these days cost money- and even in public schools, kids and families cannot afford to play. Second- it is very difficult to build and maintain a successful HS program- it requires great coaching, admin support, consistency and $$$, at all levels.

Public schools also include many "hoops" to jump through. Even if HS programs had "alumni benefactors" willing to donate $, the admin of school boards sometimes say NO- that has happened at PR.

Would SJP do a financial aid comparison between football players receiving aid vs regular students receiving aid

lol, funny you asked this- i was googling info about SJP prep the last few days. Roken the coach- works in the Finance of Acct office? Mm, wonder if he has any access to reduce tuition for top recruits?

lol, funny you asked this- i was googling info about SJP prep the last few days. Roken the coach- works in the Finance of Acct office? Mm, wonder if he has any access to reduce tuition for top recruits?

i mustve gone to a different website. hes on the athletics staff when i just looked

He hasn't worked in the accounts office in at least a few years.

I know one thing about privates in the pcl they don’t offer free food. Might sound minimal but when compared to non privates that’s a big difference.

A common misperception is that "everything is paid for" in a public school- totally not true. Even in wealthy schools like NA, and maybe Central Bucks schools- the "schools" don't pay for some stuff, like extra training, food, 7v7 camps, limited equipment purchases, some bussing to stuff.

Now- my comparison- sure this does not account for "everybody" but I'm sure there are some private / catholic school families, who live in apartments, and may have a discount for tuition? So that family might not pay much? It's possible for an average public school kid, parents buy a house and pay property tax- so that is a cost? So might almost "even out." Possible?

Now- actual fees- most HSs charge an activity fee, 100 to 200 bucks. And most every sport has a booster fee, could be 300-500 bucks. Most families have to do additional fundraising. So maybe another couple hundred bucks. So, maybe an "average public school kid" pays $500-1000 per year. Sure, yes, less than private schools, but not zero.

Again, my point here is two-fold- all sports these days cost money- and even in public schools, kids and families cannot afford to play. Second- it is very difficult to build and maintain a successful HS program- it requires great coaching, admin support, consistency and $$$, at all levels.

Public schools also include many "hoops" to jump through. Even if HS programs had "alumni benefactors" willing to donate $, the admin of school boards sometimes say NO- that has happened at PR.
Of course, the parents of SJP students and of all private schools pay the same property taxes that parents of public school students pay. I have no objection to that.

Here's a link to the page on the Prep website about tuition and fees: https://www.sjprep.org/admissions/tuition--fees

As you will note, the cost of transportation alone is far greater than what you estimate the family of "the average public school kid" who plays football pays for everything each year. It costs a lot of money to cross those bridges over the Delaware every day!!

I know one thing about privates in the pcl they don’t offer free food. Might sound minimal but when compared to non privates that’s a big difference.
RCH- not sure what you mean by free food, but most public school kids in PA pay for their food at school, not free, and pay even more if there's extra food needed for sports- specifically at Pine Richland, our boosters fund raise like 30K per year for "nutrition" meaning food for players- and that "fundraising" is mostly paid thru parent booster fees, ie "parent pay for it"

Of course, the parents of SJP students and of all private schools pay the same property taxes that parents of public school students pay. I have no objection to that.

Here's a link to the page on the Prep website about tuition and fees: https://www.sjprep.org/admissions/tuition--fees

As you will note, the cost of transportation alone is far greater than what you estimate the family of "the average public school kid" who plays football pays for everything each year. It costs a lot of money to cross those bridges over the Delaware every day!!

Yes, of course, I understand and agree that SJP families have pay fees to attend. And obviously costs are much more than public school. My point earlier is that public HS sports are not "zero cost." And, I wonder how many "highly ranked" players at SJP pay minimal fees?

A family who rents an apartment within driving distance to SJP, so their son can play football for SJP, does not pay property tax. And I'm sure this scenario happens now, and may increase? SJP being THE top 10/top 20 and nationally known HSFB program, in maybe a 50 mile radius of 10 million people?

Would SJP do a financial aid comparison between football players receiving aid vs regular students receiving aid?
Here's a link to the page on the SJP website about financial aid: https://www.sjprep.org/admissions/scholarships-and-financial-aid

I don't have inside knowledge about how the football program is financed. I too would be interested to see or read a report about how SJP has developed its program over many years to the point where it now is now. My understanding is that many of football players receive financial aid from the same scholarship / aid programs that other students access. I understand there is also a separate fund that tops up aid to the families of some football players. That still leaves those families having to pay a substantial amount for the items listed on the page about tuition and fees. Bottom line: every Prep family pays a lot more to have their son go to SJP than they would be paying if their son went to the local public high school.

As an alumnus and an annual donor (of very modest amounts), I, like I'm sure most other alumni donors, mainly want to see the essential character of the school--which includes a commitment to academic excellence--maintained. A couple of years ago two high profile football players went elsewhere--to a public school--for their senior year when SJP decided not to bend the rules about graduation eligibility. (The players, I'm told, wanted to be able to go to college in the middle of their senior year at SJP and be able to graduate from the Prep without completing all the Prep courses the school requires graduates to complete, i.e. the way McCord, Harrison, the Trotters, etc, did.)

Yes, of course, I understand and agree that SJP families have pay fees to attend. And obviously costs are much more than public school. My point earlier is that public HS sports are not "zero cost." And, I wonder how many "highly ranked" players at SJP pay minimal fees?

A family who rents an apartment within driving distance to SJP, so their son can play football for SJP, does not pay property tax. And I'm sure this scenario happens now, and may increase? SJP being THE top 10/top 20 and nationally known HSFB program, in maybe a 50 mile radius of 10 million people?
I've never heard of families renting apartments within driving distance of SJP so their son can attend the school and play football. Where did you read or hear this? The point about property taxes is that all people, whether their children go to public or private school or they have no children at all, pay the same property taxes. If they are renters, you can say part of their rent goes to the public-school-supporting property tax that the owner pays.

Here's a link to the page on the SJP website about financial aid: https://www.sjprep.org/admissions/scholarships-and-financial-aid

I don't have inside knowledge about how the football program is financed. I too would be interested to see or read a report about how SJP has developed its program over many years to the point where it now is now. My understanding is that many of football players receive financial aid from the same scholarship / aid programs that other students access. I understand there is also a separate fund that tops up aid to the families of some football players. That still leaves those families having to pay a substantial amount for the items listed on the page about tuition and fees. Bottom line: every Prep family pays a lot more to have their son go to SJP than they would be paying if their son went to the local public high school.

As an alumnus and an annual donor (of very modest amounts), I, like I'm sure most other alumni donors, mainly want to see the essential character of the school--which includes a commitment to academic excellence--maintained. A couple of years ago two high profile football players went elsewhere--to a public school--for their senior year when SJP decided not to bend the rules about graduation eligibility. (The players, I'm told, wanted to be able to go to college in the middle of their senior year at SJP and be able to graduate from the Prep without completing all the Prep courses the school requires graduates to complete, i.e. the way McCord, Harrison, the Trotters, etc, did.)
I'm curious- based upon your comments here, is it likely that Imotep "bends rules" much more than SJP? There is so much promise of $ these days, with NIL, and transfers- SJP has gotta have lots of parents and kids "clamoring" to get there, to get exposed- and bend rules. College freshmen making 10s of thousands of $$, just being on P5 rosters- or maybe going FCS, then transferring in 12 months- the climate is crazy.

I've never heard of families renting apartments within driving distance of SJP so their son can attend the school and play football. Where did you read or hear this? The point about property taxes is that all people, whether their children go to public or private school or they have no children at all, pay the same property taxes. If they are renters, you can say part of their rent goes to the public-school-supporting property tax that the owner pays.
Families moving and getting apartments to go to certain HSs happens in and near Pittsburgh, so I'm sure it happens in Philly. I've talked to parents first-hand who have done that in Woodland Hills, Gateway, Aliquippa- even happens in places like NA and Pine Richland it happens (just not as often). Honestly, if I was the parent of top-tier FB kid, in Eastern PA, I would consider moving closer, to possibly enroll at SJP.

I'm curious- based upon your comments here, is it likely that Imotep "bends rules" much more than SJP? There is so much promise of $ these days, with NIL, and transfers- SJP has gotta have lots of parents and kids "clamoring" to get there, to get exposed- and bend rules. College freshmen making 10s of thousands of $$, just being on P5 rosters- or maybe going FCS, then transferring in 12 months- the climate is crazy.
I don't know anything more about Imhotep than the average fan knows. They've had some transfers over the years, including one high-profile player from SJP, but I've never heard of any rule-bending.

I agree the climate is crazy. There's lots about it that I don't like, partly because at the end of the day it's not good for the kids. And, yes, it has had an impact on hs football. Families that in the past might not have considered SJP are seeking out the school and the program. From what a senior official at the school told me in 2022, the Prep tries to be straight with the students and their families, e.g., by making sure they understand that "offers" to kids in 8th grade or 9th grade mean almost nothing, but in the current climate, it's very easy for expectations to get out of hand.

Bottom line: every Prep family pays a lot more to have their son go to SJP than they would be paying if their son went to the local public high school.
Would you be surprised if there were football players who were either going to school free or pay close to nothing at SJP?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT