ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL schedules released

Wow. P-R has the big crossover game with... Moon.....

They lose quite a special senior class but we aren’t gonna drop off as big as people might think. Still got the two beasts at LB king and cerm, and three 3 yr starters on OL. Wish wpial gave them McKeesport or woody high, those would be great games.

3 starters back right?....Andrew Kristofic 6-6 265, Michael Katic 6-3 280, Michael Dorundo 6-1, 260. I had P. Boyd mistakenly shown as a sr in write up below. NA and PCC lost a lot making it look highly competitive now that superman will be off to ND. Same in SE, lots of key grads,

3 starters back right?....Andrew Kristofic 6-6 265, Michael Katic 6-3 280, Michael Dorundo 6-1, 260. I had P. Boyd mistakenly shown as a sr in write up below. NA and PCC lost a lot making it look highly competitive now that superman will be off to ND. Same in SE, lots of key grads,

You're correct boyd was a sr. Also forgot to mention luke meckler is back on defense and likely takes over for crawford at RB on O. PCC is likely favorite to win the wpial but I don't believe this will be one of their dominant teams like 2015 or 2016. NA is NA they always have a bunch of kids to pick from.

On another note I thought penn hills was moving down to 5A because they thought it was more competitive, look at the conference they are in! Not sure what the wpial thought their but you might as well just pencil them in as conference champs.

So supposedly someone who is heavily associated with IMG academy is posting on the prep gridiron forum that PR and IMG agreed to play week 0 at a PA vs everybody classic game at woody high. If this ends up being confirmed then that’s a pretty ludicrous decision by PR and with what they lost they may lose by a lot, but I also like coach k maybe pulling the SJP route and playing national powers to get them ready for a post season run later consider the first half of the schedule is somewhat weak. We will see though

I've heard same thing.

If P-R plays IMG, good for them. I applaud Coach K for keeping things moving forward. Likely never going to have a Jurkovec again, so that can't stop you.

It would be STUPID to play anywhere but P-R. They are the PA 6A state champs. Woody isn't special anymore and that stadium is falling apart with no where to park.

Last edited:
North Hills w
So supposedly someone who is heavily associated with IMG academy is posting on the prep gridiron forum that PR and IMG agreed to play week 0 at a PA vs everybody classic game at woody high. If this ends up being confirmed then that’s a pretty ludicrous decision by PR and with what they lost they may lose by a lot, but I also like coach k maybe pulling the SJP route and playing national powers to get them ready for a post season run later consider the first half of the schedule is somewhat weak. We will see though
A day late and a dollar short !

Its really too bad teams in the WPIAL only have 1 week to play these sorts of games (Week 0).

I've heard same thing.

If P-R plays IMG, good for them. I applaud Coach K for keeping things moving forward. Likely never going to have a Jurkovec again, so that can't stop you.

It would be STUPID to play anywhere but P-R. They are the PA 6A state champs. Woody isn't special anymore and that stadium is falling apart with no where to park.

I guess they are saying just a regular PR home game now. I like that they’re playing a powerhouse to get ready for later like said before but IMG is a different animal and imo this games a year late. IMG would've matched up against PR way better than wayne did. PR will get absoutely destroyed unless something crazy with a bunch of impact transfers came in, which is very unlikely to happen. They should schedule a game that's actually winnable, playing IMG is definatly not winnable.

Reactions: new2pa
They should schedule a game that's actually winnable, playing IMG is definatly not winnable.

That sounds like two years ago before the first St. Eds game. Can't win, people will get hurt, etc. Granted, we don't have Jurkovec, but we will be starting 2 D1 OL and a third that has started since his Sophomore year. We should be able to at least run the ball a little and slow down the run with those lineman and King and Cerm who are studs. And we weren't going 16-0 anyway - and if we were we should be playing these sorts of teams!

My prediction 35-7 ata the half. 49-17 at the end.

Its a great opportunity for the team, players, and school.

About IMG vs PR; Here’s what IMG (8-0) did last year.

Beat 7A FL champ Venice, 38-12, 6A FL champ Carol City 41-22, Central-Mia 24-15, AZ big school champ Chandler 27-14, 7A Hoover-AL champ 32-21, Centennial CA, 40-20, the Div-1 runner up to St. John Bosco, East High-UT 43-19, 6A runner-up to Bingham and Bishop Sullivan-VA. Connecting games saw Venice beat St. Thomas Aquinas 27-20 who beat St. John Bosco-CA, runner-up to Mater Dei in their final, then Chandler dismantled Northwestern on ESPN. Central beat NV and national power Bishop Gorman 24-20. This is unheard of, playing and winning against that schedule and they do it every year.

Last year’s PR team could probably make a run at them, being something like Chandler’s great team that had a outstanding Qb (back-to-back 3000yds, inj’d vs IMG), Rbs at +2000 and +1500. Chandler gave IMG a game. Last year’s PR team was freaky, something IMG is every year.

Who can blame them getting the national spotlight playing IMG but are they ready for it? Rather see them play Cathedral or Mid Penn Conf teams (Hburg, CD, SC, CV) and other PA teams to first establish sustained recognition in PA, then it all falls in line when you go for it, like SJP has done.

That sounds like two years ago before the first St. Eds game. Can't win, people will get hurt, etc. Granted, we don't have Jurkovec, but we will be starting 2 D1 OL and a third that has started since his Sophomore year. We should be able to at least run the ball a little and slow down the run with those lineman

Speaking of O line, this O line PR should have this year might be one of the biggest and best they've ever had, and I'm contempt to make an argument that they may be the best unit in the state. My sources tell me a very big kid that didn't play last year is expected to come back and start, also that trent miller kid likely starts as well. If you remember he filled in for boyd a few games due to a concussion and he looks like he could easily be in the 260-270 range next season. Also after basketball you gotta imagine kristofic could be up to the 280 range before the season, and dorundo should get even bigger as well. A lot of beef and I expect them to have no trouble running the ball on any defense in the WPIAL, especially with meckler, who's lightning quick, running behind them. However, I just can't see them running the ball on IMG that well or having much success against them in general. I mean looking at their roster for next year, every kid is basically a 4 or 5 star and a top 25 player at their position (if not the top player at their position). It'll defiantly feel like every other team is JV team after playing IMG however.

On another note I'm sure you've heard rumours of a transfer QB from ohio as well, I'm interested in hearing what other PR folk have heard about that.

I always thought they would need to find another tackle. Miller, Dorundo, Katic, and Kristofic all back at the position they played and started at last year. Need to find a kid to take Lemirande's spot at left tackle.

I will check on the QB situation this weekend.

I always thought they would need to find another tackle. Miller, Dorundo, Katic, and Kristofic all back at the position they played and started at last year. Need to find a kid to take Lemirande's spot at left tackle.

I will check on the QB situation this weekend.

I talked to some PR people today and supposedly two QB's are coming in.

This will get interesting.

According to twitter, WPIAL 6A will have a 6 (of 9) team playoff. Top 2 get byes. Championship at Heinz Field with 4A, 3A, and A.

5A and A will be elsewhere. Too bad. 5A is probably the most competitive division.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT