ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 6A Rankings

I am perfectly fine with this NA team, and I also realize that 2017 PR would win, and also would score about 50 points. HOWEVER, there were multiple teams that scored nearly 30 points against 2017 PR. I don’t see why 2022 NA couldn’t score atleast 30
Ok. We’re gonna disagree. IMO, the 2017 NA team had more weapons on O and the double wing stuff they ran was much more difficult to stop.

I believe d10 and wpial should combine, atleast at the 6a level

That's not going to help much. District 10 has only three 6A teams, Butler, Erie High and Erie McDowell. I guess an eight team conference is better than five. But it's likely that Buter and Canon-Mac drop to 5A in the next cycle...

I believe d10 and wpial should combine, atleast at the 6a level

That's not going to help much. District 10 has only three 6A teams, Butler, Erie High and Erie McDowell. I guess an eight team conference is better than five. But it's likely that Buter and Canon-Mac drop to 5A in the next cycle...
It'll definitely help and help the 5A as well. There was a lot of good 5A schools that didn't get into the playoffs this year and Erie cathedral prep had a bye all the way to the semifinals. It's a win win for both district. They should absolutely combined the two.

tiger- i appreciate your support of your team- but NA is just not the caliber of the top teams in state. An easy start- they need to challenge themselves more when possible- like maybe higher competition for summer 7-7s, and certainly week zero. Alderdice is just a weak opponent- they have had on their schedule for 3 years- I bet Alderdice has a losing record over those 3 years. I could go on and on- but just this year, Alderdice got crushed by Westinghouse- and Westnghouse is playing in state playoffs as a "3A team."

- and the stupid alignment of only 5 wpial teams does not help schools like NA- by NA playing reg season "only in wpial" hurts them- they are forced to "play down to smaller schools." Again, sorry, all due respect to these other schools, but some are terrible- they played Norwin and Baldwin- smaller schools, 5A, bad smaller schools, combined 2-18 record. 6A needs to petition the WPIAL for some flexibility- maybe consider combining playoffs with other divisions, or maybe allowing teams to go find other "exhibition" games during the year to get bigger and better competition.

Thoughts on PCC, Coach Totten retiring?? I have some, but wanted to hear others first

He’s never impressed me. Has always had loaded teams with kids from the other schools in their conference. I don’t think much changes for them unless they actually get Palko, which would be funny because he’s essentially just a wpial Mercenary at this point. PCC is loaded next year, they could potentially challenge sjp next year if they don’t make a nepotistic hire from their coaching staff and actually get a guy like Palko.

Reactions: Stalker and new2pa
He’s never impressed me. Has always had loaded teams with kids from the other schools in their conference. I don’t think much changes for them unless they actually get Palko, which would be funny because he’s essentially just a wpial Mercenary at this point. PCC is loaded next year, they could potentially challenge sjp next year if they don’t make a nepotistic hire from their coaching staff and actually get a guy like Palko.
again, i have some thoughts jacky- but your thoughts comparing him to Art Walker Jr? Similar, or who is a better coach? Totten or Walker Jr?

Art walker Jr is better than totten. I can’t see palko going to PCC. However, If he does, that would be a juggernaut. The best coach in WPIAL going to the team with the most talent? That might be a recipe to contend with SJP

As an outsider, PCC seems like one of the top jobs in the state. They always seem to have tons of talent. Is palko going? I’d imagine this opening would generate a lot of interest.

Walker and Totten had totally different jobs at PCC. They were under .500 between Dan Marino and the bizarre 1988 state champs (who were the 8 seed in the WPIAL) and they only made the WPIAL playoffs once between 1988 and hiring Art Walker Jr. Walker had to turn PCC from kind of a non-entity into a state power. Which, they went from three straight losing seasons before Walker, then 4-6 in his first year, to state finals in year 5 and state champs in year 6.

Totten took over following them winning a state title and was tasked to keep it going. To his credit, he won two state titles and played for another two in his tenure, which has to be considered a success. But comparing what they both did at PCC is just totally different based on the circumstances of the program at the time they took over.

Walker and Totten had totally different jobs at PCC. They were under .500 between Dan Marino and the bizarre 1988 state champs (who were the 8 seed in the WPIAL) and they only made the WPIAL playoffs once between 1988 and hiring Art Walker Jr. Walker had to turn PCC from kind of a non-entity into a state power. Which, they went from three straight losing seasons before Walker, then 4-6 in his first year, to state finals in year 5 and state champs in year 6.

Totten took over following them winning a state title and was tasked to keep it going. To his credit, he won two state titles and played for another two in his tenure, which has to be considered a success. But comparing what they both did at PCC is just totally different based on the circumstances of the program at the time they took over.

Ok, i was hoping for input from Jacky- but here is my input-

IMO, Totten and Walker are just about equal, both good coaches, working in programs, with lots of resources, lots of talent. Maybe both have "underperformed" but not a big difference. Neither are "great coaches" IMO, good, not great- but, current coaches, who are "greater" are Palko and Cherpak, more results, less resources and arguably, less talent than PCC or NA. Again, to me, this, year, NA's season was "unimpressive" only being "best of 5" and no wins in state playoffs. NA has not "won" a single state playoffs game in 10 years- so I could argue, in the last 10 years, Totten has been a "better coach" than Walker.

I'm not "hating on NA" but It just makes me kinda mad, all the great accomplishments of so many other teams, and people talk about NA and Walker being "great." Just this year- Aliquippa, Union, and Westinghouse- playing in state final? I bet all 3 of those schools, total, have less "football budget" than NA.

Ok, i was hoping for input from Jacky- but here is my input-

IMO, Totten and Walker are just about equal, both good coaches, working in programs, with lots of resources, lots of talent. Maybe both have "underperformed" but not a big difference. Neither are "great coaches" IMO, good, not great- but, current coaches, who are "greater" are Palko and Cherpak, more results, less resources and arguably, less talent than PCC or NA. Again, to me, this, year, NA's season was "unimpressive" only being "best of 5" and no wins in state playoffs. NA has not "won" a single state playoffs game in 10 years- so I could argue, in the last 10 years, Totten has been a "better coach" than Walker.

I'm not "hating on NA" but It just makes me kinda mad, all the great accomplishments of so many other teams, and people talk about NA and Walker being "great." Just this year- Aliquippa, Union, and Westinghouse- playing in state final? I bet all 3 of those schools, total, have less "football budget" than NA.
i don't completely disagree with what you are saying, but there are arguments to be made against your post

Palko and Cherpak mostly won at lower levels, TJ had a lot of luck on their side only facing weak finalists in the title game

both have benefited from transfers, just like NA and Central

Mt. Lebanon has just as many resources as anybody

i never heard anybody call Walker great, at least not in the last 10 years, his name is never mentioned among the great coaches

Union and Westinghouse are one year wonders, Aliquippa is a Beaver County All Star team, nobody can convince me that small rat's nest of a town is legitimately producing these great teams for decades with all this D1 talent

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT