ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 6A Rankings

Even in a year where the WPIAL is “down”, I’m still putting them over every other district. Except for maybe the Philly Catholic League

are they though? The Mid Penn doesn't seem nearly as strong as they've been in recent years.

Harrisburg's got dudes though.
Just better competition- less big schools in wpial, so schools like NA have to play smaller schools in reg season, and less variety of opponents- yes Harrisburg has dudes, and Manheim beat them

Just better competition- less big schools in wpial, so schools like NA have to play smaller schools in reg season, and less variety of opponents- yes Harrisburg has dudes, and Manheim beat them
The only 5A's they've played are

Pine Richland - they'd easily be one of the top 6A teams in D3 if not the best.

Penn Trafford - not as good as last year, but still would be formidable in D3.

Norwin - obviously a cellar dweller

There isn't a very big difference between 5A and 6A in the WPIAL.

Reactions: new2pa
Remember back in the day (4A) the smaller quads like McKeesport, Gateway, Upper St. Clair, PHills and others were ball busters. Size didn't matter then.

The only 5A's they've played are

Pine Richland - they'd easily be one of the top 6A teams in D3 if not the best.

Penn Trafford - not as good as last year, but still would be formidable in D3.

Norwin - obviously a cellar dweller

There isn't a very big difference between 5A and 6A in the WPIAL.

Its hard to argue that P-R isn't the best team in the WPIAL right now. Would love to see them and Quips, CV, or BV play each other.

Its hard to argue that P-R isn't the best team in the WPIAL right now. Would love to see them and Quips, CV, or BV play each other.
Agree new, I think if they started the season all over pine Richland could be 11-0. I've never seen a team make adjustments and do a 180 like they've done. They even beat NA by two touchdowns. They got a legit shot of winning all of 5A this year.

My guess is Totten steps down at PCC. I wonder who they have lined up if that is the case? The biggest name is Kasperowicz, but I doubt he leaves Mars with his son there.

Here's what I'm hearing in the North

Mischler or Balog or Sasson to North Catholic
Bezilla or Mischler to PCC
Coach K stays at Mars
Rumors that Bueschle may step down from SV soon. Lehmeier or Sasson would be leading candidates.

My guess is Totten steps down at PCC. I wonder who they have lined up if that is the case? The biggest name is Kasperowicz, but I doubt he leaves Mars with his son there.

Coach K would be ideal for PCC, but timing doesn't work. UNLESS - he is willing to possibly sit his kid for a year. PCC has QB coming back. The upside is that even with a single year at PCC starting, his son would probably get more looks than at Mars. Would bring Mal, Jochem, Miller, Baranowski with him from Mars and maybe Sasson from SV as well. Would be gigantic change in WPIAL if it happened. But not likely IMO.

Here's what I'm hearing in the North

Mischler or Balog or Sasson to North Catholic
Bezilla or Mischler to PCC
Coach K stays at Mars
Rumors that Bueschle may step down from SV soon. Lehmeier or Sasson would be leading candidates.
Mike Mischler the Erie Cathedral Prep coach?

so? he can't handle a 2 hour drive a few times a year to see him play?

why did he leave ECP? looking for a new challenge or what?

Mike Mischler isn't taking the pcc job. He retired because of his family and kids. He would be a game changer there though.
Happy Thanksgiving folks! This site is more interesting than the news about parades and turkey!!

Looks like the son, Joe Mischler is done w football- so maybe dad and son are gonna coach at one of the catholic schools? Either North Catholic or PCC?

Lions beat Tigers (and Bears) Oh My

State College now 2-12 against WPIAL teams in the PIAA Playoffs.

Wow. That was some questionable play from North Allegheny. They looked good against PCC. This is a bad look for WPIAL.
Looking at State college record against WPIAL

2006: Lost to USC 28-20
2008: Lost to Bethel Park 17-14
2009: Beat Woodland Hills 14-3
2010: Lost to NA 21-6
2011: Lost to NA 40-14
2014: Lost to Pine-Richland 49-29
2015: Lost to PCC 19-3
2017: Lost to Pine-Richland 49-21
2018: Lost to Pine-Richland 56-33
2019: Lost to PCC 24-21
2021: Lost to Mt. Lebanon 49-28
2022: Beat NA 28-7

Don’t mean to kick NA while their down, but I believe they’re the worst Wpial 6A champion so far.
My ranking of the “greatness” of 6A teams
1. 2017 Pine-Richland
2. 2021 Mt. Lebanon
3. 2016 PCC
4. 2019 PCC
5. 2018 Pine-Richland
6. 2020 PCC
7. 2022 NA

it confirms what we all thought, well almost all of us, that it was a very down year in WPIAL 6A

it's sad when you think about all the great teams from the past that are mostly forgotten because they didn't win a title, but this weak NA team did win a title because they were lucky the competition was very weak

timing is everything in life

Douchebag
look on the bright side, a wpial championship is a wpial championship

better to be the worst winner than the best loser like one of those Gateway teams back in the 2000's coached by Terry Smith

if i played on one of those teams I would be pissed to see this NA team win, this is one of those times it's better to be lucky than great

I was a little emotional that night. But he proved me wrong aswell. Art walker is a good guy and he’s one of the best coaches in wpial history.

Mediocre NA? You’ll be sorry when they’re holding up the state title in December.
Womp Womp. Maybe porter sr will house some more kids in the NA school district from Bakersfield California and you won’t have to wait anouther decade to even come close to the best of 5 wpial participation trophy 🤣🤣

Literally no difference in quality between WPIAL 6A and 5A this year. Might as well just combine them in the WPIAL since they play each a ton now anyway. WPIAL 6A went 17-8 against 5A this year, but if you look at the good teams 6A was 7-7 against 5A playoff teams. All five 6A teams lost at least one game to a 5A team this year.

look on the bright side, a wpial championship is a wpial championship

better to be the worst winner than the best loser like one of those Gateway teams back in the 2000's coached by Terry Smith

if i played on one of those teams I would be pissed to see this NA team win, this is one of those times it's better to be lucky than great
If someone on those gateway teams are mad at current NA, they are foolish. The only people they should be mad at are themselves. It’s not NAs fault gateway wasn’t good enough to make it out of wpial

Reactions: RCH13co18
Tiger - you guys got beat by State College. Just enjoying winning the WPIAL.

Tiger - you guys got beat by State College. Just enjoying winning the WPIAL.
I agree. State college has a great team this year. I’m extremely happy with the wpial championship. Best team since 2012. Our future is bright. I just thought the gateway comparison was goofy

If someone on those gateway teams are mad at current NA, they are foolish. The only people they should be mad at are themselves. It’s not NAs fault gateway wasn’t good enough to make it out of wpial
not mad at NA, but mad that they didn't have the luck and timing of playing weaker competition

I agree. State college has a great team this year. I’m extremely happy with the wpial championship. Best team since 2012. Our future is bright. I just thought the gateway comparison was goofy
not your best team since 2012, the 2015 team beat a very talented Central Catholic

2017 was reasonably competitive against great PR team

this team would've been mercy ruled by them

it wasn't a comparison, those NA teams back then were better than this NA team too

I’d argue the 2018 team with porter jr was the best since their 2012 team. Their defense completely matched PR’s offense that year, and I think you can argue they had a good enough secondary to match up against Harrison and the sjp kids had they made it that far. Seneca Valley put a senior kid in at running back near the end of the season who barely played all season, and he just tore up PCC and NA in the playoffs out of the spread offense.

not your best team since 2012, the 2015 team beat a very talented Central Catholic

2017 was reasonably competitive against great PR team

this team would've been mercy ruled by them

it wasn't a comparison, those NA teams back then were better than this NA team too
I don’t believe the 2017 team was better. The reason NA was competitive with 2017 PR was that PRs defenses was fairly pedestrian for a state champion team. Heck, Lebo put up 29 on Prs defense that year. I have no doubt this NA squad would have put up 30+ points against 2017 PR

2015 NA I could see an argument for. The problem is that Central always has underachieved. All those p5 recruits and they couldn’t go undefeated? Central should hope the rumor of palko being their head coach is true

I’d argue the 2018 team with porter jr was the best since their 2012 team. Their defense completely matched PR’s offense that year, and I think you can argue they had a good enough secondary to match up against Harrison and the sjp kids had they made it that far. Seneca Valley put a senior kid in at running back near the end of the season who barely played all season, and he just tore up PCC and NA in the playoffs out of the spread offense.
Talent wise 2018 maybe. But they didn’t have a fraction of the heart this team did. 2022 NA would stonewall them

I don’t believe the 2017 team was better. The reason NA was competitive with 2017 PR was that PRs defenses was fairly pedestrian for a state champion team. Heck, Lebo put up 29 on Prs defense that year. I have no doubt this NA squad would have put up 30+ points against 2017 PR

2015 NA I could see an argument for. The problem is that Central always has underachieved. All those p5 recruits and they couldn’t go undefeated? Central should hope the rumor of palko being their head coach is true

?? The 2017 P-R team led the league in O and D.

P-R played Lebo on the first day of school after playing an ESPN game the past Sunday - and that was the most they allowed all year.

To think they would have put up 30 is fantasy land. I admire your fanaticism Tiger, but this year's NA team was and above average WPIAL football team. Not exceptional, not even great, but just a very nice HS football team. Nothing wrong with that.

wow, folks, we gotta get some perspective- sorry this NA "championship" in 2022 is just about meaningless. 5 teams? in most other levels of D7, and others in state, a "conference title" would have been more impressive- some have 6, 7 or 8 teams. Tiger- man, im not sure if you just started following your team, but i agree w others, u have had many other better teams than 2022 at NA. Again, like i said months ago, Walker needs to do more, if they want to win "real championships." If WPIAL cannot fix this stupid alignment problems, then NA needs to "go find opponents" somehow- certainly playing Alderdice in week zero is a terrible prep for the season.

and 2017 Pr- uh, they had a great defense.

And my goodness "central has always underachieved??" huh?? not true

tiger- i dont hate NA, i have some NA friends- but in the last 10 years, Walker and staff have not done enough. IMO, having wpial 6A "combine w 5A" is not the best answer- unlikely to even get support- imo, the best option is 6A in 7, to combine with others- and just gotta travel- combine w like 19, 6, 8- enough to get a decent # of teams- maybe like 15-20 teams. Then, they play enough big schools, make their "district championships meaningful" so then they can compete w d3, d1, and d12.

But again- Walker might b a nice guy- but he has a cushy job, makes a lot of money, and it seems as tho NA thinks 9-2 is a "great year" and it seems like he's "just fine with that."

Reactions: JACKY6996
?? The 2017 P-R team led the league in O and D.

P-R played Lebo on the first day of school after playing an ESPN game the past Sunday - and that was the most they allowed all year.

To think they would have put up 30 is fantasy land. I admire your fanaticism Tiger, but this year's NA team was and above average WPIAL football team. Not exceptional, not even great, but just a very nice HS football team. Nothing wrong with that.
I am perfectly fine with this NA team, and I also realize that 2017 PR would win, and also would score about 50 points. HOWEVER, there were multiple teams that scored nearly 30 points against 2017 PR. I don’t see why 2022 NA couldn’t score atleast 30

wow, folks, we gotta get some perspective- sorry this NA "championship" in 2022 is just about meaningless. 5 teams? in most other levels of D7, and others in state, a "conference title" would have been more impressive- some have 6, 7 or 8 teams. Tiger- man, im not sure if you just started following your team, but i agree w others, u have had many other better teams than 2022 at NA. Again, like i said months ago, Walker needs to do more, if they want to win "real championships." If WPIAL cannot fix this stupid alignment problems, then NA needs to "go find opponents" somehow- certainly playing Alderdice in week zero is a terrible prep for the season.

and 2017 Pr- uh, they had a great defense.

And my goodness "central has always underachieved??" huh?? not true

tiger- i dont hate NA, i have some NA friends- but in the last 10 years, Walker and staff have not done enough. IMO, having wpial 6A "combine w 5A" is not the best answer- unlikely to even get support- imo, the best option is 6A in 7, to combine with others- and just gotta travel- combine w like 19, 6, 8- enough to get a decent # of teams- maybe like 15-20 teams. Then, they play enough big schools, make their "district championships meaningful" so then they can compete w d3, d1, and d12.

But again- Walker might b a nice guy- but he has a cushy job, makes a lot of money, and it seems as tho NA thinks 9-2 is a "great year" and it seems like he's "just fine with that."
You and I both know central underachieved under Totten.

2016- had like 20 d1 players- mercy ruled in state championship
2019-had many d1 athletes including Aaron Donald’s nephew, couldn’t even beat a st joes prep missing starting QB
2021-had like 10 d1 players- mercy ruled in wpial championship

I believe d10 and wpial should combine, atleast at the 6a level

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT