ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 6A Rankings

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
This is gonna be brief. Also, only 5 teams.

1. PCC - they are loaded with very good HS players with a couple standouts at LB (Specca) and WR (Gonzales - out for a few more weeks.). Their OL is much improved and all the sophomores they played last year have matured. They will be better on defense this year and the offense will still be spread. Tough opener vs. St. Edwards of Ohio, who is a top 15 team nationally, but they shouldn't lose after that in the regular season.

2. SV - Return the best senior class in school history. Have a couple kids committed to Navy and another to Akron. (QB, S, LB/DE). Definitely look the part of a senior lead team. However, they got handled by ECP up front and are still looking for legitimate play makers on offense. Defense will again be solid, but they need to find a way to match explosiveness against the better teams.

3. Lebo - Definite reload. They will have strong QB play either form a senior or a nice lefty sophomore. Offense looks to have replaced playmakers, and OL is solid led by Capistro. Defense should also be good, as it seemed that they transitioned to a four down look. Need to upgrade downhill play at LB. Won scrimmage vs Pine by largely throwing the ball, which was not a surprise. However, had problems stopping the run even though P-R can't throw a lick.

4. NA - Will be solid on both O and D again (as usual). QB returns and is throwing the ball better, but needs to improve accuracy. Pass game is still a work in progress. Old Wing T stuff still gives bad teams fits. Defense led by Steeler son Alualu will be hard hitting and disciplined, but scrimmage against PH was disappointing. PH repeatedly hit wide open WR's, however, NA controlled both lines.

5. CMAC - They are improving and will be lead by Junior QB who is the coaches son. However, not enough at the other positions yet to compete to be in the top 4.

I'd flip flop Seneca valley and pcc. I think next year is pcc's year. As long as they stay healthy they will be my preseason #1 pick in 6A for 2023.

Reactions: new2pa
New- good stuff, thanks

Haus- at this moment, i agree SV #1, but we will know for sure in about 7 hours- three great Week Zero Games

PCC v St Eds
SV vs Penn Hills
Lebo vs Gateway

great football, 6 good teams- these will clearly be the top 3 of 6A, challenging themselves w tough games (by choice!!)

New- good stuff, thanks

Haus- at this moment, i agree SV #1, but we will know for sure in about 7 hours- three great Week Zero Games

PCC v St Eds
SV vs Penn Hills
Lebo vs Gateway

great football, 6 good teams- these will clearly be the top 3 of 6A, challenging themselves w tough games (by choice!!)
Agreed, I've been wrong before. I do think 6A and 5A are wide open. These week zero games are always the best and great measuring sticks. It'll start to separate a few of these teams from the others.

Well, what I predicted came to pass.

1. NA dominates allderdice
2. Seneca nearly loses to Penn hills
3. Central is blown out by Ohio team
4. Lebo shut down by gateway
5 cmac loses (what a surprise)

NA will be your 6a champs this year.

Unfortunately, Lebo did not look very good in this one. My hope is that they get better through the season as essentially most of these kids are first time starters.

I also hope Gateway runs through 5a. It might make Lebo look good in the long run 😂

I'm sticking with what I predicted. I would listen to a case for flopping Lebo and NA, but nothing more.

St. Ed's is ranked #23 in the country and Alderdice is not strong. I always felt NA should play a out of stay power.

SV barely beating PH is a surprise. I thought PH was bad when I saw them vs. NA. Maybe SV is not as good, but need to find out more. Only 17 points is shocking to me.

Gateway is going to be my #1 5A team. That's a good win over Lebo.

This is gonna be brief. Also, only 5 teams.

1. PCC - they are loaded with very good HS players with a couple standouts at LB (Specca) and WR (Gonzales - out for a few more weeks.). Their OL is much improved and all the sophomores they played last year have matured. They will be better on defense this year and the offense will still be spread. Tough opener vs. St. Edwards of Ohio, who is a top 15 team nationally, but they shouldn't lose after that in the regular season.

2. SV - Return the best senior class in school history. Have a couple kids committed to Navy and another to Akron. (QB, S, LB/DE). Definitely look the part of a senior lead team. However, they got handled by ECP up front and are still looking for legitimate play makers on offense. Defense will again be solid, but they need to find a way to match explosiveness against the better teams.

3. Lebo - Definite reload. They will have strong QB play either form a senior or a nice lefty sophomore. Offense looks to have replaced playmakers, and OL is solid led by Capistro. Defense should also be good, as it seemed that they transitioned to a four down look. Need to upgrade downhill play at LB. Won scrimmage vs Pine by largely throwing the ball, which was not a surprise. However, had problems stopping the run even though P-R can't throw a lick.

4. NA - Will be solid on both O and D again (as usual). QB returns and is throwing the ball better, but needs to improve accuracy. Pass game is still a work in progress. Old Wing T stuff still gives bad teams fits. Defense led by Steeler son Alualu will be hard hitting and disciplined, but scrimmage against PH was disappointing. PH repeatedly hit wide open WR's, however, NA controlled both lines.

5. CMAC - They are improving and will be lead by Junior QB who is the coaches son. However, not enough at the other positions yet to compete to be in the top 4.
Nice New. Anxious to see this week's games per inconclusiveness of last weeks games, dumb as that sounds being early and all. Meaning, not much to learn from Pitt CC-St. Eds, et al. PittCC playing Sen Val and Gators late sure adds to it!
Believe it's still Harrisburg, McDevitt then everyone else here in 3 but we'll see.

After watching LEBO lose to Gateway, I am predicting the Blue Devils to go 5-5. They have a challenging schedule and very little overall team speed. No big offensive threats. OL a work in progress, shaky QB play. Made no effort to get the ball to WR Beiersdorf. Team looks a step slow, lacking enough athletes to hang with the PCCs and Gateways. Defense is better than the offense. Gonna be a long year. BTW... I was not all that impressed with Gateway either. Last years LEBO would have blown them out. Still thrilled to have Palko... he will get the best out of these kids. They work their tails off for him and will continue to improve. Could really use a Ryan Palmieri type weapon.

NN: I thought Lebo did a nice job vs. Pine, particularly in the pass game. That may just be an indictment of how few skill players Pine has though, compared to Gateway and PCC, etc. When does Lebo have SV and NA? I think those may be a very good games. SV is big at skill but few dynamic players. NA isn't quite as big but a little more athletic. Interesting matchups.

NN: I thought Lebo did a nice job vs. Pine, particularly in the pass game. That may just be an indictment of how few skill players Pine has though, compared to Gateway and PCC, etc. When does Lebo have SV and NA? I think those may be a very good games. SV is big at skill but few dynamic players. NA isn't quite as big but a little more athletic. Interesting matchups.
Game #5 (SV) and #7 (NA). LEBO had little time to throw against Gateway. Rotated three QBs.

They beat a 6a canon Mac. Lebo and Seneca do not look good. The only team that you can say could beat them is PCC
Hate to tell you but cannon Mac isn't a power house. NA's opponents are 0-4 combined. If lebo or Seneca had NAs schedule theyd be 2-0 as well. Slow your roll. Wait to NA plays a respectable team and not a couple cup cakes then you can talk. It's a little early to be making those statements.

Reactions: Stalker
SV is a big disappointment to me. I agree that its PCC and NA at this point. But it is true that NA's first two games have been against very weak opponents.

SV is a big disappointment to me. I agree that its PCC and NA at this point. But it is true that NA's first two games have been against very weak
PCC played Abraham Lincoln and they are the worst team a wpial 6a team will play all year. Pcc only beat them by 13. NA beat canon Mac by 14. NA will win the wpial.

Last edited:
PCC played Abraham Lincoln and they are the worst team a wpial 6a team will play all year. Pcc only beat them by 13. NA beat canon Mac by 14. NA will win the wpial.
tiger... again, "winning the wpial" in 6A is kinda a joke- 5 teams? You might be "better than" only 4 teams? For example, 4A is loaded, 22 teams, if s/o was only better than 4 teams, in 4A, that team would be 17th PLACE!!

Check out the following teams, what do they have in common?
bentworth
chartiers houston
south side beaver
neshannock
keystone oaks
apollo ridge
elizabeth forward
easy allegheny
highlands
latrobe
bethel park

They are all "first place" WPIAL Teams, in their conferences and right now 2-0 . Does anyone think any of these teams are gonna win State titles? Uh, no.

It's just too early. Based upon the last 10 years, maybe this is "the year" for NA to be great, but unlikely IMO. Again, we don't have to guess if they will be the better than PCC or SV- NA plays them all, so we will know after they play!!

Reactions: northalleghenytiger
tiger... again, "winning the wpial" in 6A is kinda a joke- 5 teams? You might be "better than" only 4 teams? For example, 4A is loaded, 22 teams, if s/o was only better than 4 teams, in 4A, that team would be 17th PLACE!!

Check out the following teams, what do they have in common?
bentworth
chartiers houston
south side beaver
neshannock
keystone oaks
apollo ridge
elizabeth forward
easy allegheny
highlands
latrobe
bethel park

They are all "first place" WPIAL Teams, in their conferences and right now 2-0 . Does anyone think any of these teams are gonna win State titles? Uh, no.

It's just too early. Based upon the last 10 years, maybe this is "the year" for NA to be great, but unlikely IMO. Again, we don't have to guess if they will be the better than PCC or SV- NA plays them all, so we will know after they play!!
Im not convinced with NA yet. Thier opponents combined are 0-4. Now they have a step up in competition this week in Erie McDowell but it's way to early to crown them. It seems like the best teams in the wpial are 5A and 4A teams. McKeesport, aliquippa, central valley, and gateway.

Yo NA Tiger, what do you know about Lincoln? Got a key transfer in Rb Terail Greene from Northeast and some other players that can compete. Lincoln is typical inner city but with some athletes. You can't sleep on teams. Any team.

Yo NA Tiger, what do you know about Lincoln? Got a key transfer in Rb Terail Greene from Northeast and some other players that can compete. Lincoln is typical inner city but with some athletes. You can't sleep on teams. Any team.
That may be true but people on here were making fun of NA playing a city school in allderdice. I figure people think City league teams are a joke on here

That may be true but people on here were making fun of NA playing a city school in allderdice. I figure people think City league teams are a joke on here
Pittsburgh city league is literal garbage. PCC didn’t play some crazy team, but at least it wasn’t alderdice. Sounds more like they needed a game there last minute. No matter how you try to spin it, NA playing a city league team three years In a row is embarrassing.

Pittsburgh City League has been bad for quite a few years. However, they showed some improvement last year. Yesterday Westinghouse took out Steelton-Highspire 39-18. That's a really good win for the PCL. Despite the fact they are 2A I think Westinghouse beats Allderdice.

Many are playing in less affluent circumstance. But that doesn't mean they can't have a good coach and enough athletes to give you a scare and pull the rare upset.
Northeast of the Phl Pub always has decent teams sometimes very good teams. And I can assure you Westinghouse of the Pitt City is the real deal beating Steel High at Cottage Hill.

Reactions: JACKY6996
Update:

1. PCC: Played Ok on O and not great on D vs a decent AL team from Philly. Note: they are playing a ton of underclassman from everything I’m hearing. Could put together a couple year run.

2. NA: They haven’t done anything but SV losing to Peters moves NA up.

3. SV: need to improve on both sides of ball. Got torched by a inexperienced Peters QB.

4. Lebo: need to see more

5. CMaC: I think they could be 4, but have to beat someone. I believe they have SV this week so we will see.

PCC isn't great but they are the favorites until proven otherwise

NA has a chance but I will believe it when I see it

never bought into SV being the favorite, though i think Peters is a team to watch in 5A they were a very up and down team last year but when they were up, they beat the eventual 5A state champ by 2 touchdowns, maybe SV still has a chance

I can see Lebo getting better as the season goes on, but they won't win the title

Cmac ... who cares?

Hey, Jacky! Be nice to tiger. He’s just a little guy. Don’t poke fun at him! I’ll report you!
6shz3t.jpg
I’m not little. I’m actually massively overweight

Exactly. If I have one more box of those, I’ll be able to get my own zip code
Back on topic... well tiger, finally some recognition- Pittsburgh Paper- Triblive- has a "power ranking" this week put NA at 8 in WPIAL, among "all classifications." Pretty good nod- if accurate that is pretty impressive, there is like 100 teams in WPIAL. But i still gotta say it's too early, and 6A is just kinda bad this year- so if NA is "best of 5" that's not that impressive. As of now, 6A, combined record is 4 wins 6 losses. We will know "for sure" on Sept 23, when NA plays PCC. If NA does knock off PCC, they may have a good year.

Back on topic... well tiger, finally some recognition- Pittsburgh Paper- Triblive- has a "power ranking" this week put NA at 8 in WPIAL, among "all classifications." Pretty good nod- if accurate that is pretty impressive, there is like 100 teams in WPIAL. But i still gotta say it's too early, and 6A is just kinda bad this year- so if NA is "best of 5" that's not that impressive. As of now, 6A, combined record is 4 wins 6 losses. We will know "for sure" on Sept 23, when NA plays PCC. If NA does knock off PCC, they may have a good year.
Exactly. 6a is worse than it’s ever been. If you are a betting man, throw all your chips on the tigers!!!

Seneca Valley was a popular pick to play for the state title

looks like they will finish last in WPIAL 6A

Rankings so far

1. NA- Great win against a solid McDowell team
2. PCC- close win against bethel
3. Lebo- dominate moon for first win of the season
4. canon Mac- beat seneca
5. Seneca- continues to show how overrated they are. Lose to canon Mac. This is the team that was supposed to play in the state final?

as of now, it’s looking like a NA vs PCC finals

SV is befuddling. Should not have gotten on bandwagon I guess….

Updated:

1. PCC with nice win over Bethel Park

2. NA with nice win over McDowell.

Gap:

3. Canon Mac: Gulp. Good for them.

4. Lebo: Only because they are defending champs.

5. SV: Yikes.

Had a chance two watch the Live stream on Trib of PCC/BP. BP has definitely improved. Not sure championship level in a tough 5A, but they are good. Very physical. Interested to see how they fair against USC and Peters, who lately haven't been known for being that physical.

PCC offense is improved a lot from last year. QB is passing well and running the ball more which greatly helps. Solid OL and very good sophomore RB. Defense is ok, but I didn't see Specca playing. He has a history of injuries so not sure what is going on. Also, Gonzales did not play. Rumor is he was hurt in the spring. If/when he returns offense will get a big lift.

I can't see SV hanging with PCC or NA. PCC/NA will be a great game this year.

I think there is a realistic chance CMAC could be 3 seed as well. Just gotta beat Lebo. They have tough overall schedule, but could do it.

Update

1. NA- blowout baldwin
2. Lebo- beat central
3. PCC- choked badly
4. canon Mac- lost to bethel
5.Seneca- beat pine

interesting…

It always feels good to beat PCC. Lebo still missing a few players. Fourth win over PCC in the last three years.
I've been saying all year pcc is young and a year away. Next year will be their year. This might be a rare year that whoever comes out of the wpial in 6A wont be representing west Pa late December. Harrisburg and state college both have good teams this year and the wpial is down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT