ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 6A Playoffs

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
Very interesting this year with the order of finish determining playoff seeds. On the surface, it seems like P-R was the big winner by losing to NA. PCC, SV, and NA all on the other side of the bracket. However, wins and losses don't lie so here we are. Some thoughts:

1. NA: Typical NA team. Very solid everywhere and top notch coaching. Threw the ball accurately, but had a ton of drops Friday night. Defensively, they played with great effort and energy and are clearly well coached. Look for any game they play in to be a low scoring affair.

2. P-R: Despite the 20 4th quarter points, their defense is excellent. Need to study up on whatever NA was doing to them over and over, but I'm sure they will. Offense remains inconsistent, particularly in the passing game. Weather and being behind did not help, but they still only completed 1 or 2 passes in the first three quarters. What really hurt Friday were two early forth downs that resulted in drop and a no gain on a run play. Can't have that.

3. Lebo: Peaking at the right time and probably best skill in 6A. On a cold and rainy night, QB did some nice things versus PCC. Defense has always been the issue with them, but maybe with the Head Coach on that side of the ball, things are on the upswing. Will need to be for them to keep competing.

4. PCC: Hard to tell what is happening with them. Defense is good, but in two of their three losses, breakdowns gave up big plays. Offense is horrendous. Starting LB now playing QB only and trying to run read option type stuff. The highlights I saw reminded me of John Petritian at QB in 2014. Something just doesn't seem right with the PCC program.

5. Seneca Valley: Perhaps the most well rounded team, but just couldn't get over the hump against the big boys in the conference. Excellent defense and ok offense. Most similar team to NA in the conference right now and would be a fist fight if they play NA in the Semi-Finals

6. Canon-MacMillan: Excellent team running the ball even though they are overmatched every week. Defense is also solid. They just get lined up and play.

Predictions:

Quarterfinals:
CMac @ Lebo: I'll take Lebo in a close one, but feel CMac has more than a puncher's chance. Lebo must limit turnovers and CMac must control the ball for them to be in the game.

SV @ PCC: I'm taking SV again in a close one. SV is a senior heavy team that won't quit no matter what happens and will just wait for PCC to implode offensively. If they get to 21 they win.

Semifinals:
Lebo @ P-R: I'll take P-R by 10. I think P-R's offense plays better, but Lebo's pass game will test P-R's secondary more the second time around.

SV @ NA: Injuries are starting to mount for NA with a starting OL out and their best 2 way skill kid done with a leg injury. SV has the athletes to cover the rest and are big enough to stop NA's run game like they did the first time around. Tough one to call - last time SV played NA in a quarterfinal, they won and punched their ticket to the championship. But NA seems like they are on a mission to get back to the top of 6A after a 6 year hiatus. I'll take NA by 1.

WPIAL Finals:
P-R vs. NA: I don't think P-R's pass game can be any worse than it was on Friday and believe their coaches will have them coached up for NA's run game. NA will be flying high on emotion and have the who community behind them. But this year it comes down to talent in the front 7's and P-R has more. P-R by 10. 31-21.

Haha. Happy with my quarterfinal predictions. From what I understand both games went according to script.

Wasn't really close on either semi final. Missed the NA-SV winner and thought P-R v Lebo would be closer.

Small crowd at the P-R game. Looked like the coaches made a point to throw the ball more and were very effective. Many big plays and penalties on defenders with kids running past lebo secondary. Was 46-0 at halftime when I left.

Looking forward to a good game at Heinz.

Interested to hear from someone about the NA - SV game.

Gateway beats all these 6A playoff teams soundly, right?

I think games would be good. By far better skill for Gateway, but the OL and DL would not compare well at all to PR, SV, PCC, or NA.

For comparison, Gateway beat Lebo 31-8 early in the year. PR was ahead of Lebo 46-0 and half and NA beat Lebo something like 31-3.

Not an exact science , but you get the picture.

For what’s its worth, I think Gateway will crush Penn Hills in the finals. Coaching will be the difference.

I think games would be good. By far better skill for Gateway, but the OL and DL would not compare well at all to PR, SV, PCC, or NA.

For comparison, Gateway beat Lebo 31-8 early in the year. PR was ahead of Lebo 46-0 and half and NA beat Lebo something like 31-3.

Not an exact science , but you get the picture.

For what’s its worth, I think Gateway will crush Penn Hills in the finals. Coaching will be the difference.
New and Stalk - I have seen Gateway and just like last year when wood beat them physically so would all top 6A teams like Pine , NA, SV ...

Last edited:
New and Stalk - I have seen Gateway and just like last year when wood beat them physically so would all top 6A teams like Pine , NA, SV ...
Ok New, Soup13 thanks. One thing about Wood is they are always physical, with O-Lines that can typically play with anyone in the Phila area....and beyond. Hell of a program but surprised how easily they beat Gators last year.

Reactions: new2pa
Ok New, Soup13 thanks. One thing about Wood is they are always physical, with O-Lines that can typically play with anyone in the Phila area....and beyond. Hell of a program but surprised how easily they beat Gators last year.
Stalk- I have been to no less than 30 wood games the last few years and am very impressed year in and out with their OL, technique and toughness. Different kids and same story even after Carey left. I think they are grinding it out this year with a back up qb so not sure how far they will do...

Reactions: lilromeo
Wasn't really close on either semi final. Missed the NA-SV winner and thought P-R v Lebo would be closer.

Small crowd at the P-R game. Looked like the coaches made a point to throw the ball more and were very effective. Many big plays and penalties on defenders with kids running past lebo secondary. Was 46-0 at halftime when I left.

Looking forward to a good game at Heinz.

Interested to hear from someone about the NA - SV game.
New-
I expected this outcome. I watched lebo play USC and saw some tape on their other games. I was not impressed with their discipline and one dimensional O, poor tackling on D. They are pass happy and not hard to stop with athletes that can match up. Lebo beats the average teams and loses to better comp. every year. pgh cc was a bit better than average this year. You were right on PR losing to NA, woke them up and better play off match up too. They can match up with SV OL/DL but will be a fun game to watch . I think PR in a close one

I saw the thread about the SJP/LaSalle game. Does the WPIAL Champ or SC/DelVal have a legitimate shot? Was that merely a result of the bad weather? Seems like things may be a little more level than I thought. Injuries could play a role?

I saw the thread about the SJP/LaSalle game. Does the WPIAL Champ or SC/DelVal have a legitimate shot? Was that merely a result of the bad weather? Seems like things may be a little more level than I thought. Injuries could play a role?
Yes....if SC's game with St. Augustine and their subsequent games (linkage) with SJR, Imhotep, Bergen and American Heritage (Plantation Campus) mean anything. Lions are overflowing with talent/skill, led by a senior Qb.

A place in the state final is far from a sure thing for SJP.

The Prep was short two starting offensive linemen and one starting defensive lineman against LaSalle, and one of their two starting backs (Kolbe Burrell) seems to have been playing with a troublesome ankle much of the year.

LaSalle is a rivalry game, and even in years when the Prep has won big in the regular season the playoff game is almost always close. (And the fact that LaSalle has won twice after big regular season losses makes the Prep a little extra wary and maybe a bit uptight.) Plus the weather seemed to cause some problems and at least raised hopes/fears of an upset.

More generally, the Prep has shown some weaknesses. The punting has been spotty at best, and the defense has given up quite a few big plays. And as good as McCord is, he is a sophomore.

Obviously, one could make a long list of their strengths.

ADVERTISEMENT