ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 5A

new2pa

Nov 9, 2014
On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I finally got to see all the WPIAL 5A teams on TV or livestream. Here's my ranking and commentary.

1. Pine-Richland: If their offense gets just a little more consistent, I think they are going to be unbeatable. They've got a great QB/WR combo with Spencer to Jochem, and now have two great secondary threats in Gochis and Hasley. Looks like they have thunder and lightning at RB with Schweiger and Eastburn and their OL continues to be very solid. The defensive side of the ball has been stellar. The front 7 is great, fast and athletic. While I don't think the DB's are on the same level, with the pass rush P-R can bring, it may not matter. It looks like very solid tacklers throughout as well.

2. Penn-Trafford: This may be a shock to some, but I think P-T loss to Peters was a fluke that largely occurred because of the 7 turnovers. They have skill to match P-R and Gateway's, but rank them a notch lower because of their OL and DL. They are big, but not up to P-R's level. Skill wise they are led by their QB/OLB Villanova Commit Ethan Carr. He's not very polished as a QB, but he can throw it and is a dangerous runner in Coach Ruane's power running game. They have two great, fast RB's in Ford and Yacamelli, and their skill is rounded out by the Frye brothers. All can run.

3. Gateway: They have without a doubt the best skill in 5A, led by Davis, Price, Body and Thrift who all have D1 offers. Their QB is a first year starter, but Coach Holl has him playing very well. Like P-T, their OL and front 7 on defense is a question mark. On offense, they have 3 or 4 new starters. The lines are led by Taylor who is a 2 or 3 year starter. They are replacing all of their LB's with new players, who look the part but lack experience. Moreso than any other team in 5A, Gateway has not played anyone. Their game with P-R was cancelled due to Covid and they also missed this past Friday. They have Penn Trafford this Friday, possibly, and then Woodland Hills.

4. Peters Twp: Peters is a very solid high school football team. Hondru and MacMillon lead the team and they have a very good group of seniors. Their QB is a 3 year starter and can do some nice things. Up front, they are solid, but a notch smaller than all the other teams listed. They have a nice running game with Sirianni and Peyton (but Peyton look to have a serious leg injury Thursday). They are the kind of team that won't beat themselves and when other teams make mistakes, they capitalize. But on talent alone, I can't rank them any higher.

5. Woodland Hills: Woody High is a nice comeback story this year. They are regaining some of their old swagger and are led by a very good looking junior QB. He's more of a runner than passer, but is dynamic. Their OL and DL are big and fairly athletic. They play really hard on defense, but need to be a little better tackling. They hung in there with P-T for a while last week, but 4 first half turnovers killed them, and then the game snowballed. I think they are a year away.

Best of the rest:

USC: Played Peters really well, but are a step below in terms of talent and size. Good QB/WR combo, but Pantellis has been banged up. Need to get bigger and stronger overall to compete at highest level.

Penn Hills: They have a dynamic freshman QB who plays well already and a very good defense. They need some more playmakers on offense but I expect them to make playoffs.

South Fayette: Lots of hype about QB, WR's and OT, but the quick rise in classifications has hurt them alot. Size and skill that worked in 2A and new 3A and 4A isn't working in 5A. But they have a great coaching staff and will eventually get it going.

Last edited:
New - Good stuff as usual. You did your homework. I agree with most. I am not sure on PT/Gateway. Peters does have a way of getting turnovers, their co- D coordinators are very creative. 4 picks to same kid is unheard of though. Any way, Peters problem is their play calling on O. They will be grooving and bam coach does opposite and a punt. Their QB to me needs to be better after 3 years under center. Peyton is out, poor kid. two years in a row. Back to Penn Trafford, their line is big but pretty slow and not saying soft but close to it. I have not seen enough of Gateway. They beat two young, inexperienced teams. I'm going with Gateway Friday, big plays lead the way. Their QB was fighting for the starting job last year and got hurt so I think he may have started last year. just a gut call going with the Gators. Woody got smacked but should rebound, had two top kids out last game. might of been a little more respectable. I like what they are doing. Moon, West A, NH, Franklin all average. SF, USC about the same honestly. How about NA's O or lack of it against Lebo??? Gotta be better than that with all that talent. I just don't get it. Not sure what they are trying to do?

Reactions: new2pa and Stalker
Peters defense is very unique in their front 6. Not really sure I've seen anything like it. Hondru just sitting in middle. with 3 down and 2 overhangs. I agree on their QB. He's a very good HS QB, but needs to make plays as a senior.

Your comment on the Penn-Trafford line (big, slow and maybe not tough) is very important IMO. They have good skill, but if line is subpar, they are a lot like Gateway and Penn Hills. I think they are a very good program though.

I did not know that about Woody. The must not turn the ball over and the kid at QB needs to make a few plays with his arm and continue to make plays with his feet.

People may disagree with me, but NA is a shell of themselves talent wise and physically. Take Dinkins out of the equation and they are pretty non-descript. Their offense is their offense. I've said it on here a 100 times I think. Its stuck in the 80's and 90's. Their defense was becoming more modern, but it looks to me like the are back to 4-4. I've heard they only have 70 kids out for the team 10-12. That is not confirmed, but if true, that is lowest amount in my memory.

Reactions: Soup13
Penn Trafford at Gateway is moved to Sunday. Forgot Gaters were coming off the Covid 14 day deal. missing two weeks of practice and missing two games is a big deal for conditioning, sharpness, etc. Tough spot for them. I think I now like PT here.

Reactions: new2pa
Penn-Trafford vs. Gateway game moved to Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed that his happens - P-T kept closed an elementary school because of additional Covid cases detected.

5A Games:

Friday
P-R vs. Shaler - Should be a blowout
Franklin Regional at Woodland Hills - The team that wins has the inside track for the #3 spot in the conference.
Penn Hills at North Hills - Winner is likely the #2 team behind P-R and locks up playoffs spot
South Fayette at Bethel Park - SF needs to win to stay in the playoff hunt
West Allegheny at USC - USC needs to win to stay in playoff hunt.

Saturday
Peters Twp at Moon - Moon beat Peters last year and must win again to have a shot at the playoffs.

Sunday
Penn-Trafford at Gateway - Game of the week.

5A Games:

Friday
P-R vs. Shaler - Should be a blowout
Franklin Regional at Woodland Hills - The team that wins has the inside track for the #3 spot in the conference.
Penn Hills at North Hills - Winner is likely the #2 team behind P-R and locks up playoffs spot
South Fayette at Bethel Park - SF needs to win to stay in the playoff hunt
West Allegheny at USC - USC needs to win to stay in playoff hunt.

Saturday
Peters Twp at Moon - Moon beat Peters last year and must win again to have a shot at the playoffs.

Sunday
Penn-Trafford at Gateway - Game of the week.
New - Good stuff.my quick picks...
I like PR to put up 43 by half, JV team plays

Woody beats FR by 11
I’m going with PH, Carey is terrible at NH. Good Players always can’t coach
SF beats up BP, alameda big night.
Peters Shuts down moon With all 3 phrases, makes Moon pas and that’s going to go bad.
USC should win pretty easily as West A played no one good but Flati and Miller will Make it closer then it should be.

Penn-Trafford vs. Gateway game moved to Sunday. Keep your fingers crossed that his happens - P-T kept closed an elementary school because of additional Covid cases detected.
New- canceled ....

That stinks about the PT Gateway game. Would have been a good one and we would have learned something. I watch Peters for about an hour last night versus Moon. Did really do anything to chance my mind about their ranking. I did see they played Hondru at QB a couple plays. That was interesting, but I don't think a long term thing.

New - Agree. Peters O looks out of sync. Pfieffer theW for 300 but two Yac plays accounted for more than half of that. Rankings are what I see as well. Moon might catch USC. USC defensive scheme is terrible. Let up 384 and 324 Passing back to back weeks against mediocre teams. To many good players for that to happen.

No change to my rankings. Great playoff games though. I look for the bracket to play out pretty much on par, with the possible except of Woody over Peters. Here goes:

1 P-R 49 8 South Fayette 14: I think P-R will eventually overwhelm SF with their size and speed. SF gave up 10 sacks to a subpar USC defense. I can't imagine what's going to happening trying to block Jackson, Miller, etc.

2 Gateway 28 7 Penn Hills 14: I don't think Gateway has looked very good recently, but they have a ton of skill. OL and DL are average. Penn Hills will play great defense but I'm not sure they can score enough. Look for Gateway to pull away at the end.

3 Peters Township 21 6 Woodland Hills 20: I think this game is a toss up. Peters plays great defense, but I think Woody will be able to put a few on the board. If Peters offense can find a way to get going it could be a blowout, but that hasn't happened all year. Woody cannot have 3-4-5 TO's like they have had recently. Could easily go either way IMO.

4 Penn-Trafford 49 5 Upper St. Clair 14: Same score as PR/SF. PT is big and physical while USC relies on their QB running around and making plays. He'll make a few for sure and Pantellis is a threat. But I don't see how they stop P-T's run game.

On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, I finally got to see all the WPIAL 5A teams on TV or livestream. Here's my ranking and commentary.

1. Pine-Richland: If their offense gets just a little more consistent, I think they are going to be unbeatable. They've got a great QB/WR combo with Spencer to Jochem, and now have two great secondary threats in Gochis and Hasley. Looks like they have thunder and lightning at RB with Schweiger and Eastburn and their OL continues to be very solid. The defensive side of the ball has been stellar. The front 7 is great, fast and athletic. While I don't think the DB's are on the same level, with the pass rush P-R can bring, it may not matter. It looks like very solid tacklers throughout as well.

2. Penn-Trafford: This may be a shock to some, but I think P-T loss to Peters was a fluke that largely occurred because of the 7 turnovers. They have skill to match P-R and Gateway's, but rank them a notch lower because of their OL and DL. They are big, but not up to P-R's level. Skill wise they are led by their QB/OLB Villanova Commit Ethan Carr. He's not very polished as a QB, but he can throw it and is a dangerous runner in Coach Ruane's power running game. They have two great, fast RB's in Ford and Yacamelli, and their skill is rounded out by the Frye brothers. All can run.

3. Gateway: They have without a doubt the best skill in 5A, led by Davis, Price, Body and Thrift who all have D1 offers. Their QB is a first year starter, but Coach Holl has him playing very well. Like P-T, their OL and front 7 on defense is a question mark. On offense, they have 3 or 4 new starters. The lines are led by Taylor who is a 2 or 3 year starter. They are replacing all of their LB's with new players, who look the part but lack experience. Moreso than any other team in 5A, Gateway has not played anyone. Their game with P-R was cancelled due to Covid and they also missed this past Friday. They have Penn Trafford this Friday, possibly, and then Woodland Hills.

4. Peters Twp: Peters is a very solid high school football team. Hondru and MacMillon lead the team and they have a very good group of seniors. Their QB is a 3 year starter and can do some nice things. Up front, they are solid, but a notch smaller than all the other teams listed. They have a nice running game with Sirianni and Peyton (but Peyton look to have a serious leg injury Thursday). They are the kind of team that won't beat themselves and when other teams make mistakes, they capitalize. But on talent alone, I can't rank them any higher.

5. Woodland Hills: Woody High is a nice comeback story this year. They are regaining some of their old swagger and are led by a very good looking junior QB. He's more of a runner than passer, but is dynamic. Their OL and DL are big and fairly athletic. They play really hard on defense, but need to be a little better tackling. They hung in there with P-T for a while last week, but 4 first half turnovers killed them, and then the game snowballed. I think they are a year away.

Best of the rest:

USC: Played Peters really well, but are a step below in terms of talent and size. Good QB/WR combo, but Pantellis has been banged up. Need to get bigger and stronger overall to compete at highest level.

Penn Hills: They have a dynamic freshman QB who plays well already and a very good defense. They need some more playmakers on offense but I expect them to make playoffs.

South Fayette: Lots of hype about QB, WR's and OT, but the quick rise in classifications has hurt them alot. Size and skill that worked in 2A and new 3A and 4A isn't working in 5A. But they have a great coaching staff and will eventually get it going.
Looks like you have some decent teams in 5A that could bring home the gold. We've got a pile of power here in D3 thru most of the classifications although it appears Harrisburg will sit at home per 4 game rule and Bishop McDevitt getting screwed with a faulty point system.

Last edited:
Looks like you have some decent teams in 5A that could bring home the gold. We've got a pile of power here in D3 thru most of the classifications although it appears Harrisburg will sit at home per 4 game rule and Bishop McDevitt getting screwed with a faulty point system. But, it's not really a playoff of any legitimacy without SJPrep, and the fine teams in District 1 and District 11. Sorry, should say District 12! Nice write up New.
I thought D-1 and D-12 PCL were going to the playoffs . Could you check on that Stalk ?

I thought D-1 and D-12 PCL were going to the playoffs . Could you check on that Stalk ?
Yes I just changed that and will attribute it to too many flights to Florida recently spending too much time with cattle instead of people and my quitting drinking 7 years. Plus pissed about Hburg and McDevitt. Thanks lilromeo.
Bulletin on Harrisburg posted soon !!!!

Reactions: new2pa and lilromeo
No change to my rankings. Great playoff games though. I look for the bracket to play out pretty much on par, with the possible except of Woody over Peters. Here goes:

1 P-R 49 8 South Fayette 14: I think P-R will eventually overwhelm SF with their size and speed. SF gave up 10 sacks to a subpar USC defense. I can't imagine what's going to happening trying to block Jackson, Miller, etc.

2 Gateway 28 7 Penn Hills 14: I don't think Gateway has looked very good recently, but they have a ton of skill. OL and DL are average. Penn Hills will play great defense but I'm not sure they can score enough. Look for Gateway to pull away at the end.

3 Peters Township 21 6 Woodland Hills 20: I think this game is a toss up. Peters plays great defense, but I think Woody will be able to put a few on the board. If Peters offense can find a way to get going it could be a blowout, but that hasn't happened all year. Woody cannot have 3-4-5 TO's like they have had recently. Could easily go either way IMO.

4 Penn-Trafford 49 5 Upper St. Clair 14: Same score as PR/SF. PT is big and physical while USC relies on their QB running around and making plays. He'll make a few for sure and Pantellis is a threat. But I don't see how they stop P-T's run game.
New - Very gods analysis. Here is my two cents.

Pine destroys SF, QB is not mobile and their OL cannot pass block well. They might get 10 points late, if that. Pine will dominate all phases and win by 28+

Gateway will win this one, will be closer until half. PH will have some big plays, lead to a TD or 2 but Gateway will mix up the quick passes, WR screens, picks and a nice doses of Davis to win easily by 21+

Peters D is something else, will shut down Woody as they have the last 3 times. O is suspect but like that their run game is improving with Nico Pate coming in after Mike Peyton got hurt, opens up alot for QB Pfeuffer. Peters top notch Special teams will be a factor as usual too .Peters by 17

Penn Trafford is 42-1 at home so is their an advantage with barely any fans? ha! Last year it was close, USC winning 7-3 in the early 3rd qtr. and then boom Carr took a KO to the house and then a pick , a fumble and a blink of an eye it was 31-7! I cant see this year being any different. USC D is giving up 30 a game and Ruane is a very good coach will go at all USC and eat clock, double Pantellis, bracket and keep Dalhem inside. keep their O off the field w/ alot of run, run, run and short passes. PT by 17.

Reactions: Stalker and new2pa
Soup, Its hard for me to believe that P-T / USC was 7-3 last year in Q3!! P-T lost just about their entire OL and front 7 on D from that team. But they seem to reload. If USC can stop Carr from making plays, the other weapons are more along the lines of solid high school players, rather than consistent threats to break the game open. Maybe Yacamelli or Ford fall into that category, but they seem more similar to Pantellis in that they don't touch the ball every play. For USC to win, I think Dahlem has to run for 100 and throw for 250+ and halve 1 or less TO's. Gotta score at least 31 to be in the game.

On the other hand, Penn-Trafford was tied at 28 at the half vs. a woeful Connellsville team. CVille ran right at them. I'm not sure what CVille has up front, but I gotta believe that USC's guys aren't worse.

Maybe it will be close after all. Or maybe I'm just talking myself into it being close. LoL.

I still am intrigued by Woody / Peters. I don't think Peters can score a lot and I think Woody may have just enough to keep it close. But, in the end, Woody may still be a year away.

Soup, Its hard for me to believe that P-T / USC was 7-3 last year in Q3!! P-T lost just about their entire OL and front 7 on D from that team. But they seem to reload. If USC can stop Carr from making plays, the other weapons are more along the lines of solid high school players, rather than consistent threats to break the game open. Maybe Yacamelli or Ford fall into that category, but they seem more similar to Pantellis in that they don't touch the ball every play. For USC to win, I think Dahlem has to run for 100 and throw for 250+ and halve 1 or less TO's. Gotta score at least 31 to be in the game.

On the other hand, Penn-Trafford was tied at 28 at the half vs. a woeful Connellsville team. CVille ran right at them. I'm not sure what CVille has up front, but I gotta believe that USC's guys aren't worse.

Maybe it will be close after all. Or maybe I'm just talking myself into it being close. LoL.

I still am intrigued by Woody / Peters. I don't think Peters can score a lot and I think Woody may have just enough to keep it close. But, in the end, Woody may still be a year away.
New- Very good points on both games

PT beat all weak teams to date except WH. Woody had their starting running back out which contributed to multiple lost fumbles.

Woody does have big play capabilities and athletes. Qb has been plying well this year.

We shall see soon enough!

You know I like to play with power ratings so here goes....knowing nothing about the teams making it pure math.
Pine Rich: 37.03 over So Fay

Gate: 23.84 over Penn Hills

Peters Twp 9.74 over Woody ??

Penn Traf 24.47 over USC

Reactions: Soup13 and new2pa
You know I like to play with power ratings so here goes....knowing nothing about the teams making it pure math.
Pine Rich: 37.03 over So Fay

Gate: 23.84 over Penn Hills

Peters Twp 9.74 over Woody ??

Penn Traf 24.47 over USC

I think those are actually pretty good spreads!

New- Very good points on both games

PT beat all weak teams to date except WH. Woody had their starting running back out which contributed to multiple lost fumbles.

Woody does have big play capabilities and athletes. Qb has been plying well this year.

We shall see soon enough!

Woody RB being out makes sense for TO's. I did not know that.

I like messing with numbers when I can remember what state I'm in. They relect what ever stats I can get ahold of whci can be slim awith a real emphasis on pointssince at the end of the day however you want to distill it, it's all about me getting one more point than you
I like working with numbers when I can remember what state I’m in. Seriously, it’s about stats that can be slim pickins so it’s more about points, since at the end of the day it distills down to that. Points, having one more than the other guy. Doing a power chart or rank and order breaks it down as follows. Shaky with only a few games but not bad.

1 Pine Richland
2 Penn Trafford
3 Gateway
4 Peters Twp
5 Woody
6 So Fayette
7 USC
8 Penn Hills

Reactions: new2pa and Soup13
New - The more I watch Penn Trafford the more they do not impress me overall. There line was having a ton of problems with Peters. Peters ran it on them pretty easy too. USC offense is much more dynamic than Peters. USC D is not good scheme wise but have 3-6 Ivy league to D1-A players in mix between LB and secondary. USC can beat them if it becomes a track meet. I think I might go with the mini upset. Carr is an athlete but not that impressive throwing the ball. Ruane is a much better coach than the new less experienced HC Junko and staff at this point. This for Ruane usually comes into play in the 2nd half, makes a lot of adjustments. Intriguing match up out of the bunch this weekend. I am going to see if I can catch some PT VS C'ville. Not sure on this game yet.

That’s for sure. USC offense has some playmakers. I really don’t think Peters does. But if USC can stop PT, it will be a battle. I will watch this game on the CW with one eye and the P-R livestream with the other!

That’s for sure. USC offense has some playmakers. I really don’t think Peters does. But if USC can stop PT, it will be a battle. I will watch this game on the CW with one eye and the P-R livestream with the other!

P-R livestream will be over by half. P-R in a route. SF will be very overwhelmed in every phase of this game.

I looked a bit more film and have decided to go with USC over PT. Pantelliis will opn things up for Cepullio, Bessleman and the run game. dalhlem, brown, keating and Heister all basically have 300 yards rushing. They have finally been shoeing balance. throw in Banbury at H-back. PT line is what stood out to me as average or less, matching USC average or less O-line. PT has Carr w/ 0ver 800 yrds passing over 400 rushing, Ford a double threat along with solid rb's Yacamelli , Frye, so it should be a fun one to watch. high octane.

Soup, if it comes down to a shoot out, then I like USC too. They are sort of built for that kind of game. Dahlem running around and looking to make plays. Carr can really throw it, but I don’t think he’s a QB.

Soup, if it comes down to a shoot out, then I like USC too. They are sort of built for that kind of game. Dahlem running around and looking to make plays. Carr can really throw it, but I don’t think he’s a QB.
Your big Ben Dallas Cowboy QB vs the Eagles this Sunday. Im sure PR fans will be watching. Good for him, but I hope they lose.

I believe PR’s OL/DL is the difference in the post season. Based on what I’ve seen from these other teams in the playoffs they don’t really come close to Pr in strength and physicality. And they are averaging like what 6’1-6’2 270 across the board. Plus these kids have experience against IMG academy (multiple future nfl kids on that squad) SJP PCCx3 NAx3. Nobody’s else has seen that type of competition. Also the best QB in the wpial and probably second best in the state. Seems like it is their’s to lose, the only times they haven’t been able to score this year is when they had drops or penalties. The USC game was their biggest challenge and if they played cleaner it would’ve been a much more lopsided score.

South Fayette is an interesting matchup. They have a big QB with an arm not very mobile though and a nice trio of wideouts. They’ve clearly struggled in the trenches this year against 5A opponents though, one of back’s from usc had a huge game last week against their front 7. Jackson and company should dominate, and you gotta think it’s gonna be hard for south Fayette to really get their passing offense going which is their bread and butter. It will be interesting though because I think they are one of the best coached teams in the wpial with their spread offense and the QBs it’s produced, but probably just a tad bit over their heads now playing with the bigger boys. They’ll be a team to watch other the next few years no doubt.

I believe PR’s OL/DL is the difference in the post season. Based on what I’ve seen from these other teams in the playoffs they don’t really come close to Pr in strength and physicality. And they are averaging like what 6’1-6’2 270 across the board. Plus these kids have experience against IMG academy (multiple future nfl kids on that squad) SJP PCCx3 NAx3. Nobody’s else has seen that type of competition. Also the best QB in the wpial and probably second best in the state. Seems like it is their’s to lose, the only times they haven’t been able to score this year is when they had drops or penalties. The USC game was their biggest challenge and if they played cleaner it would’ve been a much more lopsided score.

South Fayette is an interesting matchup. They have a big QB with an arm not very mobile though and a nice trio of wideouts. They’ve clearly struggled in the trenches this year against 5A opponents though, one of back’s from usc had a huge game last week against their front 7. Jackson and company should dominate, and you gotta think it’s gonna be hard for south Fayette to really get their passing offense going which is their bread and butter. It will be interesting though because I think they are one of the best coached teams in the wpial with their spread offense and the QBs it’s produced, but probably just a tad bit over their heads now playing with the bigger boys. They’ll be a team to watch other the next few years no doubt.
It certainly appears PR will dominate the 5A competition as they have all year. I do wish Wood didnt have to move up this year as it would be an interesting matchup IMO.

It certainly appears PR will dominate the 5A competition as they have all year. I do wish Wood didnt have to move up this year as it would be an interesting matchup IMO.
Lilromeo- I thought that move was BS, Wood should be in 5a and barely if I have my numbers right. They had Aliquippa move up too, they are actually 1a by numbers. I thought they would drop in talent when Devon left and Carey retired once again. The young coach went to Ursinus with Devin after a great state title run with not the best “wood” talent! That was impressive. How are they looking this year?

Lilromeo- I thought that move was BS, Wood should be in 5a and barely if I have my numbers right. They had Aliquippa move up too, they are actually 1a by numbers. I thought they would drop in talent when Devon left and Carey retired once again. The young coach went to Ursinus with Devin after a great state title run with not the best “wood” talent! That was impressive. How are they looking this year?
I saw part of Woods opener and although they arent of the quality of Devlins teams they surely have s ome solid talent. Their QB is solid as well as their RB costello. Pigford returns as Wr. Jackson their stud DE is around 6 6 255 and has around 15 D-1 offers. Good LBrs. I think they would have made some noise in 5 A state tournament , but I believe they will be over-matched against the Prep. I could be off on this ,but I think enrollment wise they are a 3A school or definitely not above 4A for sure.

Pine will beat PT by 20. I confirmed that PT has two lineman down, huge. To be clear they would have trouble on the lines if all healthy too. PT will have a rough nigh on O. will hang in their on D but flood gates will open for Pine.

I'm going with Peters over Gateway based on all 3 phases, experienced lines, run game, just enough passing, field position, phenomenal defense, great duo of D-coordinators. Davis will have under 100. Last year was a great one point game. Peters by 6.

Soup, I'm going with Peters over Gateway too. I've heard nothing to make me think Gateway has things together. 14-0 over Penn Hill is not impressive enough to warrant a prediction over Peters. Of course, they do have the most talent at the skill positions of possibly any team in the state. They have played Peters well in the past though, so you never know.

Of course I'm taking P-R. I think P-T could keep it close early, but P-R just keeps coming on O and D. You can't take a breath and P-T has a lot of 2 way kids which could be affected.

Should be great weather too!

Can’t wait!
New and Soup.

Talk about bs, I’m 4-0 on the Wpial 5A 1st rd last week, should say the math is 4-0. Here’s this week’s games.
Pine Richland (7-0) 13.56 over Penn Trafford (6-1)
Stat wise this is the Wpial final with no dis mean to Gateway or Peters. Both have huge offenses, 51 and 46 respectively with defenses that also mirror each other, PR at 10, PT at 12ppg. Close as they look statistically, no one has challenged Rams, including USC and PHills whereas PT loss a hard one at Peters 24-21, in part per 7 turnovers but otherwise swamped all. The slight statistical superiority may be magnified playing at home. Without delving into personnel this looks like a tight, tough game decided late.

Gateway (5-0) 5.60 over Peters Twp (7-0)
Offensively these two are real low octane offenses compared to Pine and Trafford, Gateway scoring 35 a game Peters 29….but mimic them defensively, both allowing 10 a game. Peters has 2 more games under their belt and have played a more difficult schedule. Both were challenged by the quality teams on their schedules; Gators by Woody 21-16, lesser degree by Penn Hills 14-0 while Peters edged Trafford 24-21, USC 28-21. No one challenged Pine and you could make an argument without 7 TOs Trafford wins at PTwp. Going to shut up now since I’m getting beyond stats.

Things worked out as expected in 5A. P-R rolled and Gateway couldn't finish. Up 19-0 at the half and then losing. See my other post about P-R. Its hard for me to understand how Gateway did that.

P-R vs. Peters for the championship, Saturday at 7:00 at North Allegheny.

Reactions: lilromeo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT