ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 5A

aerogenes

Jan 31, 2021
WPIAL Blitz has predicted the order of finish for each of the 3 WPIAL 5A conferences:

Allegheny Six
1. Peters Township
2. Bethel Park
3. Upper St. Clair
4. Moon
5. South Fayette
6. Baldwin

Big East
1. Woodland Hills
2. Penn-Trafford
3. Gateway
4. Franklin Regional
5. Latrobe
6. Armstrong
7. Kiski

Northeast
1. Pine-Richland
2. Penn Hills
3. Plum
4. North Hills
5. Shaler
6. Fox Chapel

No overall ranking. Any thoughts? I think Upper St. Clair will be second at worst and give Peters Township a run for first place. Otherwise looks good to me.

Many seem to think Latrobe is poised for a big season, 5th place seems a bit pessimistic. Not sold on Gateway having a good year, Bryant was very shaky when starting in place of Birch last year.

Northeast looks accurate although maybe I would flip Plum/North Hills.

My goodness. The South is better than the North.

Why Woody first though? Hype? No idea who they have.

South is probably a bit deeper right now, but the conferences have been really balanced IMO. WPIAL champs since 5A started in 2016, not exactly dominated by the south:

2016 West Allegheny (now 4A)
2017 Gateway
2018 Penn Hills
2019 Gateway
2020 Pine-Richland
2021 Penn-Trafford
2022 Pine-Richland
2023 Peters Township

Woodland Hills. Most people have Scoop Smith as the #1 WR in the WPIAL. I've seen him in person and I can't disagree. Cam Walter is a top 5 QB by most rankings and is entering his 3rd year as a starter. Zykir Moore RB/TE/DE has numerous D1 offers, came on as sophomore last year and is going to be a handful. George Hill LB is committed to Buffalo. They were definitely overhyped last year and came up short. But they were young team and if they mature they should win the conference. But winning the WPIAL is another story...

WPIAL Blitz has predicted the order of finish for each of the 3 WPIAL 5A conferences:

Allegheny Six
1. Peters Township
2. Bethel Park
3. Upper St. Clair
4. Moon
5. South Fayette
6. Baldwin

Big East
1. Woodland Hills
2. Penn-Trafford
3. Gateway
4. Franklin Regional
5. Latrobe
6. Armstrong
7. Kiski

Northeast
1. Pine-Richland
2. Penn Hills
3. Plum
4. North Hills
5. Shaler
6. Fox Chapel

No overall ranking. Any thoughts? I think Upper St. Clair will be second at worst and give Peters Township a run for first place. Otherwise looks good to me.

Many seem to think Latrobe is poised for a big season, 5th place seems a bit pessimistic. Not sold on Gateway having a good year, Bryant was very shaky when starting in place of Birch last year.

I'm big on upper st Clair this year. They have a stud running back and a big line. If they can mix it up their running game with some good passing they will be dangerous. USC is my pick in 5A this year.

The Northeast looks incredibly weak except P-R and Penn Hills if they can replace what they lost all-around. Especially QB, RB, and the O-line. I might throw Plum into that mix but I don't know much about them. North Hills and might make a little noise but they aren't as talented as the top three. Fox Chapel and Shaler will be horrible as always. It wouldn't surprise me if the only conference win from the two of them when they play each other.

I'm big on upper st Clair this year. They have a stud running back and a big line. If they can mix it up their running game with some good passing they will be dangerous. USC is my pick in 5A this year.
I agree with USC. I'm surprised that Latrobe is ranked so low. I mentioned in another thread that if they have anything up front they could be a sleeper. My guess is that it's their weakness based off of this.

Allegheny Six
1. Peters Township
2. Bethel Park
3. Upper St. Clair
4. Moon
5. South Fayette
6. Baldwin

Big East
1. Woodland Hills
2. Penn-Trafford
3. Gateway
4. Franklin Regional
5. Latrobe
6. Armstrong
7. Kiski

Northeast
1. Pine-Richland
2. Penn Hills
3. Plum
4. North Hills
5. Shaler
6. Fox Chapel

WIll Baldwin, Kiski, Shaler and Fox Chapel ever turn it around. I remember Kiski almost knocked off P-R on the road a few years ago. It seems like they've been going downhill since.

Speaking of Brad Birch, did he ever end up committing to a college? I've looked and can't find anything.

Looking forward to another exciting season!

WPIAL Blitz was just the first guy out with rankings, there will be a bunch more and I suspect some will be a bit different. I'll add to this whenever I see them.

Shaler is 10-10 over the last 2 seasons, although only 3-7 in conference. That's still an improvement over the 2-55 stretch of 2012-2017. But it's a mystery why their football program can't get better. Boys basketball was 25-4 this year. Boys volleyball won the PIAA title this year. Baseball won the PIAA title last year. They clearly have some athletes.

I’m also hearing from some people related to Upper St Clair that they will be very good. They’re also still mad that they missed the playoffs last season with an 8-2 record

WIll Baldwin, Kiski, Shaler and Fox Chapel ever turn it around. I remember Kiski almost knocked off P-R on the road a few years ago. It seems like they've been going downhill since.

Speaking of Brad Birch, did he ever end up committing to a college? I've looked and can't find anything.

Looking forward to another exciting season!
Birch is the only kid I've ever seen get a big offer as a freshman and then end up with nothing

they must have really lied about his height or something

Reactions: bummer01
State Top 10 in 5A from Penn Live, a Harrisburg news outlet:
1. Roman Catholic
2. Peters Township
3. Chester
4. West Chester Rustin
5. Bishop McDevitt
6. Garnet Valley
7. Manheim Central
8. Strath Haven
9. Woodland Hills
10. Cathedral Prep

Reactions: bucksftball
State Top 10 in 5A from Penn Live, a Harrisburg news outlet:
1. Roman Catholic
2. Peters Township
3. Chester
4. West Chester Rustin
5. Bishop McDevitt
6. Garnet Valley
7. Manheim Central
8. Strath Haven
9. Woodland Hills
10. Cathedral Prep
Imhotep must be down pretty bad this year if they're not ranked in the top 10 statewide, let alone not in the top 10 for 5A. Unless they moved up to 6A.

I’m also hearing from some people related to Upper St Clair that they will be very good. They’re also still mad that they missed the playoffs last season with an 8-2 record
NA ranked 2nd in one state pole I saw. What do you think of this years team ?

NA ranked 2nd in one state pole I saw. What do you think of this years team ?
Won’t be nearly as good as last years team. But Central and SJP won’t be nearly as good as last year aswell. And if the Harrisburg QB can’t play then they’ll be weaker still. So there’s a chance NA could he back in the finals.

Reactions: lilromeo
Won’t be nearly as good as last years team. But Central and SJP won’t be nearly as good as last year aswell. And if the Harrisburg QB can’t play then they’ll be weaker still. So there’s a chance NA could he back in the finals.
Thanks Tiger,good luck

PA Football News has just released their WPIAL 5A Preseason Top 8
1. Peters Township
2. Upper St. Clair
3. Latrobe
4. Penn-Trafford
5. Woodland Hills
6. Bethel Park
7. Pine-Richland
8. Moon

I like the top 2. These guys like Latrobe a lot more than WPIAL Blitz. Bethel Park is going to be in trouble with their top offensive threat Ryan Petrus out for the year. Pine-Richland way too low, I would have them 3rd.

Birch is the only kid I've ever seen get a big offer as a freshman and then end up with nothing

they must have really lied about his height or something
That was a friends and family offer…. Both by Moorhead. Never was her great IMO.

Tiger, SJP 1st team defense may not give up more than 14 points all season… all 3 LBs back with D1 offers I think.

1. Peters Township
2. Upper St. Clair
3. Latrobe
4. Penn-Trafford
5. Woodland Hills
6. Bethel Park
7. Pine-Richland
8. Moon

I like the top 2. These guys like Latrobe a lot more than WPIAL Blitz. Bethel Park is going to be in trouble with their top offensive threat Ryan Petrus out for the year. Pine-Richland way too low, I would have them 3rd.
why is Latrobe so high? yeah they gave Aliquippa a good game but outside of that they didn't do much and that was 4A

also why is Roman Catholic suddenly a popular team? they recruit well this offseason?

Tiger, SJP 1st team defense may not give up more than 14 points all season… all 3 LBs back with D1 offers I think.
Perhaps but their offense must take a step back with what they lost. If I had to bet money on who wins 6A this year it would be them, but i don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion like it has been for the past 2 seasons. Especially with their great DT injured

1. Peters Township
2. Upper St. Clair
3. Latrobe
4. Penn-Trafford
5. Woodland Hills
6. Bethel Park
7. Pine-Richland
8. Moon

P-R will be back in the WPIAL championship game unless they run into PT or USC. It always seems like they always avoid the tougher teams on their side of the bracket. If they win the Northeast, which I suspect they will do unless they get ravaged with injuries or Penn Hills replaces everything they graduated, they will be one of the top seeds in the WPIAL playoffs.

why is Latrobe so high? yeah they gave Aliquippa a good game but outside of that they didn't do much and that was 4A

also why is Roman Catholic suddenly a popular team? they recruit well this offseason?
Roman has been building up for the last few years. They currently have a number of D-1 players to include a very talented Junior QB with a number of big offers. They gave Imhotep all they could handle last year. I think they will be in the mix for a 5A championship run if coaching does a solid job.

Roman has been building up for the last few years. They currently have a number of D-1 players to include a very talented Junior QB with a number of big offers. They gave Imhotep all they could handle last year. I think they will be in the mix for a 5A championship run if coaching does a solid job.
sounds like they should be the favorite in 5A

I wonder if Imhotep can challenge SJP in 6A

sounds like they should be the favorite in 5A

I wonder if Imhotep can challenge SJP in 6A
Just my opinion, I believe Imhotep has a bit less talent than the prep ,but Preps coaching gives them a big differential. I would go with the prep, but look forward to a prep/Tep District 12 final if it happens.

Last I checked Imhotep plays 4-4 C3 and power I football. SJP staff is light years ahead.

PA Football News WPIAL Blitz
Allegheny Six
1. Peters Township 1. Peters Township
2. Upper St. Clair 2. Bethel Park
3. Bethel Park 3. Upper St. Clair
4. Moon 4. Moon
5. South Fayette 5. South Fayette
6. Baldwin 6. Baldwin

Big East
1. Latrobe 1. Woodland Hills
2. Penn-Trafford 2. Penn-Trafford
3. Woodland Hills 3. Gateway
4. Gateway 4. Franklin Regional
5. Franklin Regional 5. Latrobe
6. Armstrong 6. Armstrong
7. Kiski 7. Kiski

Northeast
1. Pine-Richland 1. Pine-Richland
2. Penn Hills 2. Penn Hills
3. North Hills 3. Plum
4. Plum 4. North Hills
5. Shaler 5. Shaler
6. Fox Chapel 6. Fox Chapel

it is ridiculous for Penn Hills to not be in the same conference as Gateway and Woodland Hills

P-R is above average to better. Not Peter's level though (who smoked Port.)

P-R is above average to better. Not Peter's level though (who smoked Port.)
They should coast the rest of their schedule except for NA and maybe Latrobe depending on what they have. P-R's conference is absolutely pitiful. PH is bad, NH hasn't played anybody good yet, and Shaler, Plum, and FC, the less said the better.

Reactions: new2pa
wow- 5A state-wide? Welcoming other comments- any early predictions- Roman Catholic- total losses? i see SJP and LaSalle? Crazy that they face both of them in reg season?

And- if and when they face McDevitt- predictions? I'm not sure if they both get thru, but either Peters Township or Pine Richland are gonna be strong (from out west), and "battle tested." Also- different- D7 starts at Semi-final- will we still face D10- likely Erie Prep?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT