ADVERTISEMENT

WPIAL 2023

northalleghenytiger

Aug 22, 2022
With week zero tommorow, thought it was the perfect time to hear some predictions

6A: SHOCKER ALERT- I’m going with NA to win the Wpial championship. Heard some sources that PCC has some injuries to starters. If true, put all money on NA.

5A: PR- no other team really looks all that scary. PR should have the best line by a mile

4A: Aliquippa- never bet against arguably the greatest wpial football school in history

3A: belle vernon- again, no other school looks scary enough to knock them off

2A: Sto Rox- don’t really know, but their usually pretty good

1A: Union- nearly won the state championship last year. Bring back their best player

With week zero tommorow, thought it was the perfect time to hear some predictions

6A: SHOCKER ALERT- I’m going with NA to win the Wpial championship. Heard some sources that PCC has some injuries to starters. If true, put all money on NA.

5A: PR- no other team really looks all that scary. PR should have the best line by a mile

4A: Aliquippa- never bet against arguably the greatest wpial football school in history

1A: Union- nearly won the state championship last year. Bring back their best player
Actually in 5A woodland hills has a couple D1 lineman and has the best line in 5A. I still like your pick in 5A though with pr until someone beats them but woody high and Penn hills will be good as well. Penn hills has a duel threat QB and a pitt recruit. Definitely doesn't hurt when your best player has the ball in his hand every snap. Imo 5A and 1A are the most stacked and wide open. It's safe to say that 6A will be NA and PCC in the championship with cannon Mac as a sleeper. 4A will be tj and aliquippa. I think tj and aliquippa can compete with any team in the state no matter classification that's not st. Joes prep. In 3A it's belle Vernon and everyone else. 2A I like beaver falls with what they have coming back. It seems like it's the usual suspects this year but next year's a realignment year so it'll be interesting to see who gets moved up or down based on the success formula and enrollment.

Last edited:
I think that 5A has a lot of teams that are above average. But I also think PH has an advantage with Duggar at QB. Same could be said for Gateway, but QB needs to prove it IMO. WH seems to be getting their MoJo back a little. PR will be PR minus an top-tier QB.

Like everyone is saying, 6A is NA and PCC. I'm on the PCC bandwagon, but NA did beat them twice last year and do return some nice players. If NA wins WPIAL over this year's PCC squad - well, that would raise a lot of eyebrows about a lot of things.

6A rankings after week zero

1. NA- Crush allderdice 61-0
2. PCC- Crush Woodland Hills 43-7
3. Lebo- Crush gateway 28-7
4. Canon Mac- beat Penn 14-0
5. Seneca Valley- lose to Penn hills 33-20

I think that 5A has a lot of teams that are above average. But I also think PH has an advantage with Duggar at QB. Same could be said for Gateway, but QB needs to prove it IMO. WH seems to be getting their MoJo back a little. PR will be PR minus an top-tier QB.

Like everyone is saying, 6A is NA and PCC. I'm on the PCC bandwagon, but NA did beat them twice last year and do return some nice players. If NA wins WPIAL over this year's PCC squad - well, that would raise a lot of eyebrows about a lot of things.
I'm really sold on PCC now. They are loaded with D1 guys and have a D1 QB and a D1 receiver but PCC really never has been able to pass the ball consistently. Especially against really good teams. It looks like they light up an really good and talented woody high team. Who on paper looks pretty stacked themselves. With 6A being down last year it's nice to see the wpial back up in 6A. NA, PCC, Mt lebo, and Cannon Mac all looked very impressive.

Reactions: new2pa
6A - it's a toss up I think a lot of people are sleeping on NA, they return many starters and beat Central twice last year, with that said I'm picking Central Catholic

5A - not sure but may as well pick PR, there is no favorite at this point

4A - I'll go with Thomas Jefferson, just a gut feeling nothing more

3A - it would take many major injuries for Belle Vernon not to win, they only lost 2 or 3 starters from last year

2A - Beaver Falls

1A - Bishop Canevin

NA, check out a few teams from your area I found interesting in the June review/ranking. Looked like you were uncertain of AA.

2A STATE Preseason Top 10….6/8/23.
Here are teams to keep an eye on in the 2A Classification. There are a number of good deuces out there but not as many as last year with the classification’s power hitters graduating an inordinate amount of talented skill players. Here are a few examples. Historic powers or quality programs like Lakeland out of D2, Bedford from D5, Sto-Rox, Ligonier Valley, Beaver Falls, Neshannock and Keystone Oaks from D7 have all lost productive quarterbacks, and in most cases the entire backfield. Some of these more established programs are more likely to replace those losses. Teams like Bishop Guilfoyle and Steel Valley. But who knows as this is a write up meant more for disseminating information than ranking teams although I gave it a shot. Back in a few weeks with the 1A report.

2 Farrell D10 10-2
The big news out west in this classification is last year’s ‘outlier’ Westinghouse (14-1, Pitt City), who could have competed a few classes higher was wiped out with graduations. Combining that with Farrell returning big numbers should get them deep into the playoffs this year. The return many from the team that beat local powers Grove City (9-4) 46-15 and Sharpsville (9-3) 48-7 and 26-0 in the playoffs, while beating troublesome teams like Sharon and Slippery Rock, both 6-5. And they almost beat Ursuline (10-3, Youngstown) losing 40-38. For 2023 they return quarterback Kabron Smith (66%-1919, 22/6) and their running backs, Brandon Chambers (156-1026, sr) and Juelz Johnson (23-210, so). Three experienced receivers return although they graduated their leading receivers who accounted for 75 receptions for 1432 yards. The defense that is always a team strength (13ppg last year) needs rebuilt but returns their top tackler Marion Norris (5-11, 205, sr) with 113 and six other co-starters with lineman Malachi Green (5-11, 320, sr), Harry Parker (5-11, 255, jr), Marcel Cheeks (6-2, 285, sr) and others. They open the season at North East (Erie) and Harding High in Ohio, then home to Grove City.
5 Steel Valley 12-1
The guys from Munhall know how to play football with a ten-year record of 85-26 and a State Title in 2016 where they demolished Southern Columbia 49-7. Two years later they advanced to the state semifinal losing to Wilmington. And they’ve been close the last two years with a 11-1 mark in 2021. This year’s team was again loaded, but not as loaded as Westinghouse who beat them in the State Semifinal 27-6. Quarterback Cruce Brookins was a talent, rushing for 1716 yards with 34 touchdowns and passing for 785 yards at 50% with a 7/1 ratio. He graduates. But last year’s freshman Da’ron Barksdale (5-9, 170, 4/5/80py, 12 games) and sophomore Antonio Brey (5-10, 160, 13/20/258py, 7 games) got time. They also return running backs Donald Barksdale (5-8, 160, jr, 86-927ry, 7/162py) and Quaron Pierce (5-9, 185, sr, 61/614ry) and experienced receivers. The line will rebuild around starter Michael Crist (6-3, 285, sr) and others including Joe Ketterman (6-3, 310, sr) and Rasaun Hough (6-2, 235, sr). The defense graduated some key parts in run stuffer Greg Smith (6-5, 315, 65 tackles), four linebackers totaling 282 tackles and two from the secondary. But, they worked in a lot of underclassmen, playing two freshmen, four sophomores and seven juniors who accounted for 391 tackles. So they’re experienced. Whether they can play at last year’s level allowing 9ppg is another matter. They open the season at Charleroi, home to Sto Rox then Seton LaSalle on the road.
10 Washington D7 7-5
Washington is one of those strong programs you hear very little about. It’s been awhile but they won a AA State Title in 2001 at 15-0 defeating Pen Argyl (14-1, D11) 19-12, then a runner up trophy in 1993 losing to Dallas 31-7. The 2017 team at 13-2 lost in the semifinal to Wilmington 49-42. But they’re still piling up the wins at 128-32 since the last loser in 2008. This year’s team has good returns with Qb Logan Carlisle (57%-865, 9/0, jr), sophomore lineman Joe Wilson (6-3, 235), Rb Zach Welsh (506ry, sr), DBs Zxavian Willis and Reuben Gordon. Everyone plays both ways. Young as they were, they had their moments, rocking Greensburg CC (8-3) 55-27, Clairton (6-6, down year) 48-20, splitting with Serra Catholic (7-4) then getting edged in the playoffs 30-27 by Neshannock (11-2), showing good progress keeping that one close. Only Sto Rox (10-3) shut them down last year winning 36-0, although they still averaged 41ppg. Some of their offensive point totals were 48, 49, 54, 55, 59, 61 and 62 points. The losses came against quality teams including Serra 7-4, Sto 10-3, Keystone Oaks 8-3, McGuffey 8-3 and Neshannock 11-2. This year’s schedule will test them early, opening at Monessen (6-5) then homers against Clairton (6-6) and Serra (7-4) before going back on the road at Greensburg CC (8-3).

Reactions: northalleghenytiger
After week 1 games:

1. NA- CLOBBER Canon mac
2. PCC- EVISCERATE ohio team
3. LEBO- BEAT bethel in OT
4. CANON MAC- CLOBBERED by NA
5. SENECA VALLEY- DESTROYED by Peters

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT