ADVERTISEMENT

WOOD WINS BIG

@coach I agree 100%. In fact in the PPL I wouldn't be surprised if teams moved upped in classification just to get away from Imhotep in the future.
@JB Was just wondering if you could give a few examples of what Imhotep did Saturday that lead you to believe that Imhotep is not a well coached football team. Not saying your right or wrong was just wondering what stuck out to you.

Fkd, my original post was before Saturday and if we're going to point to one game as "proof" that they were the superior staff I need a little more than that to sway me.

IC for the previous 2 seasons were heavy favorites against far weaker AA competition; in each case, they came up short. Last season especially their coaching staff (not their kids) appeared ill prepared and unnerved as the game went on. If that was an example of the best they have to offer then so be it.

That said, I didn't view the Wood-IC game (wish I could have); they may have done a great job, I wouldn't know. Like anything else though, creating a perception is much easier than erasing one.

They lost to a great team 42-0 last year. Granted, it was the perfect storm of events to get to those proportions, but obviously they weren't heavy favorites. Just because people say it before the game doesn't make it true.

Originally posted by littleguyscoach:
Didn't wyomissing beat Alliquippa do they have bad coaches too?
LGC, probably. See, in these parts whenever a predominantly black, talented team loses a game it's because they were either undisciplined, poorly coached, or both. That's pretty much a fact according to some. Really easy to spot when you read between the lines. It's also a sad way of looking at things.

Huck and lg

The Wyomissung game was in the 2012 finals where a heavily favored 15-0 aliquipa team was upset in the state finals. In addition to 2912, look at the quips through the years

2014. 13-0 upset in WpIAL finals
2913. 12-0 upset in WpIAL playoffs
2011. 13-0 upset in WpIAL finals
2010. 12-0 upset in WpIAL, 2nd round
2009. 11-1 upset in WpIAL 1st round
2008 12-2 upset in PIAA semis

Now theses are 16-17 yrs old high school kids, so whomis to say what truly an upset is. But for a majority of these games it was though Aliquippa had the better team. Now I don't claim to know the particulars of each game, or even if its been the same coaching staff throughout this run, but the perception out west is that some, if not all of the losses were due to unpreparedness , or being out coached. It asnt so much that they lost, but how they lost that creates the perception of being out coached and sometimes perception trumps reality. Not always a black/ white thing.

Originally posted by SPEED&JUMP DR.:
Huck and lg

The Wyomissung game was in the 2012 finals where a heavily favored 15-0 aliquipa team was upset in the state finals. In addition to 2912, look at the quips through the years

2014. 13-0 upset in WpIAL finals
2913. 12-0 upset in WpIAL playoffs
2011. 13-0 upset in WpIAL finals
2010. 12-0 upset in WpIAL, 2nd round
2009. 11-1 upset in WpIAL 1st round
2008 12-2 upset in PIAA semis

Now theses are 16-17 yrs old high school kids, so whomis to say what truly an upset is. But for a majority of these games it was though Aliquippa had the better team. Now I don't claim to know the particulars of each game, or even if its been the same coaching staff throughout this run, but the perception out west is that some, if not all of the losses were due to unpreparedness , or being out coached. It asnt so much that they lost, but how they lost that creates the perception of being out coached and sometimes perception trumps reality. Not always a black/ white thing.
Some of your facts are wrong here:

2014. 12-0 lost in wpial finals (to S Fayette)
2013. 12-0 lost in wpial finals (to S Fayette PIAA champs)
2011. 14-0 lost in state semifinals (probably considered an upset by Tyrone)
2010. 12-0 lost in wpial finals (to S Fayette who lost in PIAA final)
2009. 11-1 lost in wpial finals (to Greensburg Central Catholic who lost in PIAA final)
2008. 12-2 lost in PIAA semis (after upsetting the top WPIAL team themselves in the final)

I think it's safe to say now that in 2014 and 2013 Aliquippa was not "upset." Last year they lost to the PIAA state champs who also handled Imhotep with ease. It seems to me that the superior team won both years. Plus they've lost to S Fayette 3 times in 5 years at Heinz Field...when something like this happens over and over it's hard to keep calling it an upset.

AA in the WPIAL was clearly down this year and Aliquippa may have been the second best team but their entire conference was a walkover so that undefeated record didn't mean much. Mike Zmijanik has been the coach throughout and just recently won his 200th game (prior to this week's loss).

I was pulling my stats from a PIAA website. Sometimes the piaa refers to WpIAL games as piaa games and sometimes not. But my point beng they have fabulous 6-7 year run wherin they were ranked by many as the top or one of the top AA teams in the state, and nothing to show for it. And many people out west think they are getting out coached in big games.

Huck, if your comment is directed at me (which I believe LGCs was), it's time to back off.

If you remember correctly, in 2013, many posters (possibly including yourself) noted that the IC staff looked lost and not in control on the sideline.

It had nothing to do with skin color; for some reason the past two days that's been your favorite topic.

Go back and watch the game or read what was written; some very reputable writers actually stated IC's staff was outcoached and outclassed.

Back off on your racist BS or at least have the guts to name who it's directed at.

This post was edited on 11/25 11:47 AM by JBinPA

Have the guts?

Yea, as you type that from an anonymous screen name.

If it doesn't apply to you, then don't take it that way. I've been around the block a time or two myself. Generally speaking whenever a predominantly black team loses a big game the discipline or coaching part of it surfaces. Am I wrong in stating this? I don't believe I have imagined this.

Concerning last year, yes, they completely unraveled at the seems. It spiraled out of control and things got bad. Not sure if it was coaching, or discipline, or the players took the other team lightly, or if South Fayette was just a juggernaut on that afternoon.

I will say this, though. Coaching kids from Imhotep, West Catholic, Alquippa, etc isn't the same as coaching kids from Wood, Lasalle, SJ Prep, etc......It's a whole other animal. Some people make it sound like these kids walk into a school and you push the discipline button that erases a behavior that has already been honed for 14, 15, 16, 17 years of life. It's not that easy. Discipline is a skill and when you come from rough places, with not a whole lot of resources, as many of these kids do, then it's not as easy a thing to control/develop/improve. You need to come from structure to carry structure over into am athletic situation.

JB, you're a LaSalle guy. You understand the type of kids that attends LaSalle. Generally speaking, the types of backgrounds and structure that LS kids come from. You get it, right? You see the difference, right?

Do you really believe that if Drew and his staff jumped over to IC that all discipline concerns (In terms of playing a game) would just subside with a snap of a finger? That he would unleash some magical powers that would do away with all the issues/troubles that these kids bring with them from outside factors. Issues/troubles that they have crafted since birth in many cases. I doubt it very much.

Huck well said, I was going to state something similar a few days ago and glad I didn't because you said it 100 times better than I would have. People on this board love to criticize and if 1 person would have said I didn't agree with Albie's decision to go for it on 4th and 1 on the first drive at their own 41 I would have totally agreed with them. I personally thought it was a bad coaching decision, but for people to complain about kids going offsides is really dumb and shows how little they know about coaching football. Really, no one on Imhotep's staff all year has gone over looking at the ball, what a novel idea someone please tell Albie to "coach" that next season. What that man and his staff have done the past 3 years to that program not only isn't bad coaching it probably is the best coaching done in the state. Game day decisions are mistakes any coach will make. Players looking passed teams or taking teams lightly at some point have to fall on the players. You take Imhotep's team and drop it down several more notches for football intelligence, discipline behaviors, mental toughness and that is what the rest of the PPL coaches are dealing with. But as usual the only good coaches apparently are in the PCL.

Lastly the same could be said about Pennsbury's staff. They are 12-1 and average over 40 points per game, man what terrible coaches they are. Please, some people on here need to get a grip about what coaching HS football is all about.

Huck, yeah, I understand La Salle kids; I also understand I come from 66th and Chester so I know the difference.

My point was never about the "kids"; it was specific to the performance of the coaching staff (Fkd even asked for instances from last week) and to answer a direct question directly; last year, I believe if Drew and his staff (or staffs from Coatesville, Neshaminy, you name it) had been on that sideline you would not have seen it all unravel from a staff perspective. In all honesty, it wasn't the performance of the kids but the staff that was embarrassing.

To accuse people you don't even know of being racist because they point out the obvious is ludicrous and an uncalled for low blow. I assume it makes you feel good to jump to the honor of an inner city school but at least wait until they are being attacked. My comment was strictly about the performance of their coaching staff; it had nothing to do with their kids or anyone's race.

In fact, I'd bet Coach Crosby would tell you he was embarrassed by their performance as a staff that day.

Prior to the PIAA championship last year Imhotep was taking pictures with the trophy. They were messing around during warm-ups and had their cell phones out. It appeared to me that they were not taking the opponent seriously and I fault the coaches for that.

The night before the game (since it was postponed) they went to Chocolate World at Hershey. South Fayette stayed in the room preparing, going over plays, etc.

During that game, Imhotep had multiple penalties and other mistakes and didn't seem to adjust. They should have had enough talent to hang in that game so to me it really appeared that the coaches did not do everything they could to get the kids minds right.

These are all decisions that the coaches on both sides made - not that they necessarily are right or wrong. They made the decisions and have to live with the results, sometimes you win & sometimes you lose.
This post was edited on 11/25 6:08 PM by WPIAL_Fball

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT