ADVERTISEMENT

Wood football

lilromeo

Gold Member
Apr 14, 2014
Just read where Tyrese Whitaker LB has left Wood for Northeast. This is the second D-1 player to depart the Vikings. The other Semaj Bridgeman went to Imhotep. BTW he recently received another offer ,this one to Alabama. Something not right here. Wood never lost players like these in the past as far as I remember.

Reactions: Bighead75
Any chance Whitaker is changing schools because his residence has changed? Is he one of the guys who started at McDevitt? How many guys who live within the city limits go to Wood?

Any chance Whitaker is changing schools because his residence has changed? Is he one of the guys who started at McDevitt? How many guys who live within the city limits go to Wood?
Both LBs went to McD and transferred to Wood as well as Eric Gardener [another D-1 player and several other staters for Wood. Jamiel Lyons who just verbaled to Penn State and RB Keon kenner who has D-1 offers both now at Roman were also McD players. This years McD team could have been their best ever. Oh Well !!! There are still phila. players remaining at Wood for now anyway. I believe if mike Watkins had taken over at Wood there would be little concern about losing players, but that is just my opinion.

Reactions: HSFB99
Both LBs went to McD and transferred to Wood as well as Eric Gardener [another D-1 player and several other staters for Wood. Jamiel Lyons who just verbaled to Penn State and RB Keon kenner who has D-1 offers both now at Roman were also McD players. This years McD team could have been their best ever. Oh Well !!! There are still phila. players remaining at Wood for now anyway. I believe if mike Watkins had taken over at Wood there would be little concern about losing players, but that is just my opinion.
I just heard some of the the coaching staff has not been satisfied with the way the program was being managed. HC Walp has resigned. What a mess !!!!

Romeo, I’ve heard the same. A poster on easternpa said they lost about 4 assistants this off-season, plus they still hadn’t found an OC. That’s a shame.

Heard the same thing. Hardly any coaches around. Haven’t had an OC for a while. Makes no sense that this move wasn’t made sooner and the job handed to Watkins.

Reactions: lilromeo
Pretty much common knowledge within the Philadelphia archdiocese Wood is closing. Bucks County has given Wood a short period of time to clean up the absestos in building. Archdiocese doesn't have the millions to clean up. Plus, archdiocese has pulled scholarship money and allocated to other schools. Hence why players are leaving. And why the coach resigned.

John, wouldn’t the insurance policy of the archdiocese cover that? The archdiocese owns the individual buildings, not the schools. I find it extremely hard to believe Wood is closing. I also find it hard to believe the coach resigned in May over that.

Pretty much common knowledge within the Philadelphia archdiocese Wood is closing. Bucks County has given Wood a short period of time to clean up the absestos in building. Archdiocese doesn't have the millions to clean up. Plus, archdiocese has pulled scholarship money and allocated to other schools. Hence why players are leaving. And why the coach resigned.
John, where did you hear the common knowledge Wood is closing??

Does anyone know where Walp is going to coach? Did he just resign/retire? Or is he headed to another school?

Woods issues are solely from the dealings in the football office. Players are leaving for greener pastures or so they think. One of the players mentioned didn’t leave he was dismissed by the school. Word is most of the freshmen class will be gone by yrs end and their qb is leaving also. No OC or DC in May would make any family nervous bout the upcoming season.

Chuck who is still on staff? It sounds like the previous HC lost his entire staff after last year?

Woods issues are solely from the dealings in the football office. Players are leaving for greener pastures or so they think. One of the players mentioned didn’t leave he was dismissed by the school. Word is most of the freshmen class will be gone by yrs end and their qb is leaving also. No OC or DC in May would make any family nervous bout the upcoming season.
How did this football power become such a disaster in two years ?? Someone should be accountable , and tell the story . I was a big proponent of Watkins taking over last year. I believe this would not have happened if that were the case ,but that is my opinion knowing how he conducts himself and coaches. its a shame ,but their amazing run has ended.

How did this football power become such a disaster in two years ?? Someone should be accountable , and tell the story . I was a big proponent of Watkins taking over last year. I believe this would not have happened if that were the case ,but that is my opinion knowing how he conducts himself and coaches. its a shame ,but their amazing run has ended.
Don’t think everyone from the coaching staff and also admissions was fully on board with taking on MCD players that came over. Wood received the most from MCD closing with most of the players coming over and playing right away can mess up the chemistry and culture that was already built.

Romeo, it’s a good question. They went from winning a state title in 2019 to going 8-9 over the ensuing two years with extremely talented squads. The jump to 6A didn’t help, but they were consistently beating LaSalle before this coach’s reign.

Younger coaches try and please everyone (athletes/parents). It never worked and never will. Welcome Wood to the new world of PA high school football, where mediocrity is the standard.

Wilson, I believe the article said he was in his 40s or 50s. He was certainly inexperienced though.

Don’t think everyone from the coaching staff and also admissions was fully on board with taking on MCD players that came over. Wood received the most from MCD closing with most of the players coming over and playing right away can mess up the chemistry and culture that was already built.
Your probably right with that. I count 9 players from McD that started for Wood last year. I did notice that except for a game or two there were no former McD players named captain with at least 3 Wood players assuming that role. Those two players that left Wood didnt have issues at McD as far as I know. Perhaps that chemistry finally is taking its toll on the Culture as you mentioned. Thanks for your input.BTW Roman got a few good ones from McD also.

Your probably right with that. I count 9 players from McD that started for Wood last year. I did notice that except for a game or two there were no former McD players named captain with at least 3 Wood players assuming that role. Those two players that left Wood didnt have issues at McD as far as I know. Perhaps that chemistry finally is taking its toll on the Culture as you mentioned. Thanks for your input.BTW Roman got a few good ones from McD also.
Roman opens at Wilson....!....in West Lawn 8/26 for what should be an excellent opener and test for both. RC has some people coming back and Wilson always has talent.
** I'm working on a short write up on D3 vs 1 and 12.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aragorn
So time to go after some of these kids to come down here ot NC

On a brighter note Wood currently has 6 players in the NFL. That has to be some kind of Pa. record. Rover, any thoughts on this?

I know that at one point, Woodland Hills had the most players in the NFL of any high school (quick Google) - back in 2010, they had 6, which was the most of any high school in the country. I’m not sure how to research what school has had the most in the league at the same time, but I can dig a little and report back.

Interestingly, the most now is St. Thomas Aquinas (FL) with 19. That feels VERY high, and I wonder if there is a growing stratification between schools that produce a ton of NFL talent and the rest.

Long Beach Poly in Ca. had a bunch in early 2000’s. I think 7 at same time
And that has been in line with the school that has the most guys in the NFL at one time from what I can tell. It's the 19 that jumps off the page. Like even now, Long Beach Poly has 6, Miami Northwestern has 6, Glenville (OH) has 7, St. Augustine (LA) has 5, but then STA is blowing them all out of the water.

And that has been in line with the school that has the most guys in the NFL at one time from what I can tell. It's the 19 that jumps off the page. Like even now, Long Beach Poly has 6, Miami Northwestern has 6, Glenville (OH) has 7, St. Augustine (LA) has 5, but then STA is blowing them all out of the water.
What would be really interesting is to see how many of them are starters, whether they are very over-represented in one position (e.g., lots of receivers or DBs), whether they are spread out over the years or are bunched in one or two short periods (e.g., guys who entered the NFL in '16-'17 and '20-21). Of course injuries play a big role in determining who gets drafted, who makes the team, how long the NFL career lasts, etc.

Right now there are four SJP guys in the NFL (Zacchaeus, Swift, Runyon, and Reid) all of whom were on the same SJP team for a couple of years. I'd say it's very possible Harrison, McCord, and a Trotter or two will have good shots. but the sad reality it that a bad knee injury or a QBs shoulder injury could derail anybody's prospects.

Reactions: Bighead75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT