ADVERTISEMENT

Wood /Conwell Eagan

lilromeo

Gold Member
Apr 14, 2014
Wood dominated WVW and had 2 TDs called back. CE won fairly easy ,which was a surprise to many despite 18 penalties for 200 yards. As an aside ,it would be nice if the refs kept the laundry to a minimum during the playoffs. I'm sure some penalties were justified , 18 !!!!!!! Well congratulations to both teams .

18 does seem pretty excessive. I agree that C-E surprised many people with the win. It will be interesting to see how they fare against Middletown. Scranton Prep received a lot of press this year and were seemingly dismantled by Middletown. Outside of Prep, Wood, and La Salle, the Catholic League (and Philly football, in general) doesn't seem to garner a lot of respect outside of Southeastern PA. While this has improved over the recent 10-years, I think folks generally think that these will be walk over games. Admittedly, it was in the beginning of the year, but Roman hung tough with both Neshaminy and DTE. The Northeast defense was among the best that SJP has seen this year. I also think Northeast would have been a playoff team this year if they played in District 1.

A strong showing by C-E against Middletown will go a long way in advancing the CL rep across the Eastern part of the State.

Reactions: lilromeo
Egan was whistled for 22 penalties for 246 yards. some of these were very questionable if not flat out bad calls. They did lose two TDs, but scored on both possessions anyway.

I watched the Wood game and remember two TDs called back, but not four. I could be forgetting one or both. I think they scored on the two that remembered being called back.

Egan was whistled for 22 penalties for 246 yards. some of these were very questionable if not flat out bad calls. They did lose two TDs, but scored on both possessions anyway.

I watched the Wood game and remember two TDs called back, but not four. I could be forgetting one or both. I think they scored on the two that remembered being called back.
The flags are flat out nonsense, appears the refs are giving 2 Tds as an equalizer.I hope someone looks into this .but I'm sure that wont happen.

Huck

Correct they did score on same possessions, but showed the impact of the calls. I believe the 4 td's article is referring to are a punt return by Barksdale, a jet sweep by Barksdale, a strip sack by Pitts and scoop and score from the 5, and another run by Lambert, but not sure, might have been Peoples.
Seems like every year in playoffs more flags, especially holding. However, refs in Wood game did not know the rule on kick off formation and reversed their call. But worst call was WVW QB getting sack and dropped the ball at his feet 10 yards behind LOS, was either a fumble or a intentional grounding, not incomplete as they called. These refs looked flustered. Hope the refs are better for all games, nothing worse than 4 or 5 straight plays with flags and refs that impact outcome of a playoff game.

Not sure if it's sour grapes or not, but Palisades is maintaining the CEC had 2 transfers that did not play in any regular season games, but transferred in within the past 2 weeks and started for CEC? Not sure of the eligibility / transfer rules. I'm sure District 12 dots the i's and crosses the t's when it comes to this.

Huck

Correct they did score on same possessions, but showed the impact of the calls. I believe the 4 td's article is referring to are a punt return by Barksdale, a jet sweep by Barksdale, a strip sack by Pitts and scoop and score from the 5, and another run by Lambert, but not sure, might have been Peoples.
Seems like every year in playoffs more flags, especially holding. However, refs in Wood game did not know the rule on kick off formation and reversed their call. But worst call was WVW QB getting sack and dropped the ball at his feet 10 yards behind LOS, was either a fumble or a intentional grounding, not incomplete as they called. These refs looked flustered. Hope the refs are better for all games, nothing worse than 4 or 5 straight plays with flags and refs that impact outcome of a playoff game.

Wasn't there so I don't know but if you look up the box scores of previous Egan games this year, they are penalized a hellava lot. Heard about them being a very undisciplined team.

Wasn't there so I don't know but if you look up the box scores of previous Egan games this year, they are penalized a hellava lot. Heard about them being a very undisciplined team.

Paul, there is some truth to this. I'm sure their coaching staff would admit to that, too. But the calls were 22-to-5 in this game and some of them (Majority) were legitimate, no doubt. But IMO I thought a couple of the PIs were iffy. I thought the roughing the QB was bang-bang at best. Also, I thought the refs made themselves way too much part of the game. You can't call one team for like 8/9 holds/illegal blocks and the other team for one. You can make that call on every other play at the HS level. It should never be that big of a gap, IMO.

I'm pretty sure they had at least one, who came over from Notre Dame in NJ. He's been in the school for a couple of weeks and as long as the paperwork is done, then there is no rule broken here.

IMO, this is one rule the PIAA should put in place. After September (minimum) no transfer will be permitted to play at the new school. Either transfer before the season or wait until next year. That's just my opinion on this type of thing.

A strong showing by C-E against Middletown will go a long way in advancing the CL rep across the Eastern part of the State.
I just wish it didn't come with all the "undisciplined" commentary. I am to understand there was a bit of profanity directed at the officials. These stories don't paint the PCL in the greatest light.

Amazing that there isn't a bigger firestorm over the kid transferring in to Egan from Notre Dame. I guess it all depends who the coach is of the particular team to get people riled up about this. What was the big hurry to transfer? Parents job change? Almost every job I've had I had to travel over 30 miles each way. I say unless there are "unusual circumstances" for the transfer it should never be allowed for a player to play a whole season in one school and then play in the playoffs for another. By unusual circumstances I mean parent job transfer over a certain amount of distance or it being for the kids own well being such as being threatened or something like that. I wonder how the parents of the kid who got replaced felt about what happened there?

The sour grapes from Palisades over this game is a bit too much.

All season I enjoyed seeing the updates on the Bucs and their great story on Game on. I rooted for them week in and out.

But I personally thought they were very unprepared for this game. Not to mention the flags. If you weren't there please don't comment on cec being undisciplined. Two of the Bucs scores were set up on terrible calls.

Conwell-Egan until their recent alumni donation was staying open by a thread. They field a team of 30 guys. Lets not act like their coaches are out at pop warner games every saturday recruiting players because they are not. I could sit here and name 5-10 very key names from programs around CEC that have attended CEC then left mid season or pre season to go to a neighboring school over the past 5 years.

CEC has not broken any rules.

I've always been open to transfers and will continue to be as long as it is done correctly and ethically. C-E broke no rules here and I know for a fact they did their due diligence to make sure they weren't doing anything wrong. With that said, the PIAA has to change this rule. Under no circumstances should a player be able to play a full season in one school, transfer, and then join the new team 13 weeks into the season. Again, C-E broke no rules. And it's not even like this kid moved in from Texas, Wisconsin, Ohio, etc because of a family move. It's my understanding that he is a Yardley kid and still resides in the same house. Let's be open-minded about transfers and understand that each of them should be judged on their own merits, but let's have common sense, too. This should never be permitted. In fact, I'd be ok with if you play one game at one school then you lose your right to play at another school unless you change residency and move "X" amount miles. But at minimum, there should be a rule that says you play two games or a game after September, then you can transfer but you can't play that sport at new school until next season.

Also, this deflecting attention off a nice accomplishment for the C-E program. Newsflash: They were winning that game regardless of this kid or not, and he did play, and he did contribute. But they were still clearly the better team, with or without him.

Reactions: 6daystosaturday
The sour grapes from Palisades over this game is a bit too much.

All season I enjoyed seeing the updates on the Bucs and their great story on Game on. I rooted for them week in and out.

But I personally thought they were very unprepared for this game. Not to mention the flags. If you weren't there please don't comment on cec being undisciplined. Two of the Bucs scores were set up on terrible calls.

Conwell-Egan until their recent alumni donation was staying open by a thread. They field a team of 30 guys. Lets not act like their coaches are out at pop warner games every saturday recruiting players because they are not. I could sit here and name 5-10 very key names from programs around CEC that have attended CEC then left mid season or pre season to go to a neighboring school over the past 5 years.

CEC has not broken any rules.

Midseason very different than preseason. And there has been 1, not 5-10.

Is anyone tired of the " they didnt do anything wrong" or " we did not break any rules" defense? Isnt there some common sense right and wrong to most every transfer that can be dealt with by the schools? Cant a coach just say youre more than welcome to be on the team, even practice with us, but im not going to play you over a kid thats been here for 4 years, went through all summer workouts , etc. Just becuase a kid transfers in, does not mean you have to play him If the coaches would just take a stand, some of the blind transfers would end. Just because you didnt break any rules does not make it right.

Reactions: vucat1
Is anyone tired of the " they didnt do anything wrong" or " we did not break any rules" defense? Isnt there some common sense right and wrong to most every transfer that can be dealt with by the schools? Cant a coach just say youre more than welcome to be on the team, even practice with us, but im not going to play you over a kid thats been here for 4 years, went through all summer workouts , etc. Just becuase a kid transfers in, does not mean you have to play him If the coaches would just take a stand, some of the blind transfers would end. Just because you didnt break any rules does not make it right.[/QUOT

It will all be worth it when they bring home the gold ball from Hershey.

Is anyone tired of the " they didnt do anything wrong" or " we did not break any rules" defense? Isnt there some common sense right and wrong to most every transfer that can be dealt with by the schools? Cant a coach just say youre more than welcome to be on the team, even practice with us, but im not going to play you over a kid thats been here for 4 years, went through all summer workouts , etc. Just becuase a kid transfers in, does not mean you have to play him If the coaches would just take a stand, some of the blind transfers would end. Just because you didnt break any rules does not make it right.

I don't disagree with this all that much. But the fact is that no rule was broken and the PIAA or someone has to fix this ASAP. I don't know all of the circumstances about this case, but the HC is C-E is a good guy and his staff does a good job from what I can see.

It just defies all logic that a kid can play an entire season in one school and then jump on board for a few weeks at another. It just isn't right, IMO.

Speed, I agree that a transfer at this juncture smells rotten, regardless if the school and staff did nothing wrong. Someone had to have discussion regarding transferring and playing. Not sure why a coach would allow a transfer at this point to play over someone else, that may be a question only the coach could answer. But I would be remiss if I did not inquire about Ridley's use of a Senior player that that transferred during the season this year. I have been told that he does not even live in Ridley. Are you able to comment?

I don't disagree with this all that much. But the fact is that no rule was broken and the PIAA or someone has to fix this ASAP. I don't know all of the circumstances about this case, but the HC is C-E is a good guy and his staff does a good job from what I can see.

It just defies all logic that a kid can play an entire season in one school and then jump on board for a few weeks at another. It just isn't right, IMO.

Don't know the man but according to MaxPreps his record at Egan is horrifically bad. Looks like a guy selling his soul for a title. Won't be the first to do it ......or the last. More power to him.

Don't know the man but according to MaxPreps his record at Egan is horrifically bad. Looks like a guy selling his soul for a title. Won't be the first to do it ......or the last. More power to him.

Nah, I don’t think he’s selling out. Win or lose one 16-year old kid isn’t going to matter All that much at this point. They’ve had some lean years and an empty well of talent for a lot of the time. He’s got a solid group right now led by a star RB who’s been there since freshman year. I’m happy for his team and staff.

Huck- agree mostly, but this will force the PIAA to make “specific”rules to transfers that they have been averse to doing in the past. I don’t know if that is what everyone wants. The “rules”are general, and allow the local schools and Districts to apply those Rules. The local schools obviously signed off on the transfer. Don’t know how a Jersey school signs a PIAA Transfer paper and it doesn’t automatically go to D12 committee for review? Maybe it did.. No question CEC won and is moving on. Wish them well next round and not questioning the Win or trying to diminish the accomplishment.. However, if this scenario happens in D1, D11 or D7 (WPIAL), there is no chance the transfer plays at this point in the year. Just my opinion.. The “rules”are subject to interpretation and that is the bigger issue at hand. Yes, it is not against the rule as written. Districts approve transfers and there are different interpretations of the rules by different Districts. That is an issue and why the banter on the subject. This one just doesn’t pass the smell test IMO.

Jswigand, your sir are a joke. That kid comes in and takes your kids spot you would be crying like a bitch. That coach is a- hole to boot.

We are talking about the big boys here. There is always going to be someone trying to take your job. It's a great life lesson. Now go polish all of your participation trophies.

South Ave : I did comment on it when it happened. He got kicked out of a private school for some rather serious allegations , and next thing you know he's starting at middle linebacker. I belive he is a junior , does have some residency in the school district , and replaced a senior. Total disgrace .

The beauty of it was the kids thought it was disgraceful too . I don't. Think it's a coincidence he was named a starter before the Springfield game , and in that game the defense totally quit on the coaches. Not that I condone quitting , but kids aren't as dumb as we think and they were totally demoralized by the move.

Good one big boy, your just flat wrong tough guy. Life lesson maybe in workplace, ncaa, nfl etc. Not hs my man, what does it tell kids about hard work, team, sacrifice, sweating through camp, coming up through the system. Your an idiot.

Reactions: Soup13
Sometime in the not too distant future : team A, a non boundary school , wins its state quarterfinal game , but their starting tackle blows out a knee . Team A approaches Team B and convinces their star tackle to transfer over for the chance of winning a state championship. Player transfers over , team A wins two games and a state championship, then player transfers back to team B and finishes his senior year graduating from his original school. No rules broken , but this is why pro leagues have a trade deadline.

We are talking about the big boys here. There is always going to be someone trying to take your job. It's a great life lesson. Now go polish all of your participation trophies.

Under "normal" circumstances I would agree. Not sure whose job this kid took. Maybe, someone got hurt. Maybe, they lost a lineman to academics recently. I'm not real sure. But even if that were the case there still had to be another kid that was next in line. A kid who practiced all year, a kid who put his time in on the JV, a kid who stood on the sidelines and was supportive for 12 games, then just like that it's going to be your turn, and this kid takes your job. I don't like it. Not at this point of the season, but that's just me. I didn't have to make the decision.

"Big boys", hs football. This type of stuff isnt what hs football is about. Thanks burrs for injecting some sense into this. I didnt play a hs sport so thus no participation trophies but this win at all costs stuff is out of hand. From fudging birth certificates, to switching jersey numbers, to reclassing multiple times, to transferring to 3 schools in 4 years, etc, etc. Where does it end?

Under "normal" circumstances I would agree. Not sure whose job this kid took. Maybe, someone got hurt. Maybe, they lost a lineman to academics recently. I'm not real sure. But even if that were the case there still had to be another kid that was next in line. A kid who practiced all year, a kid who put his time in on the JV, a kid who stood on the sidelines and was supportive for 12 games, then just like that it's going to be your turn, and this kid takes your job. I don't like it. Not at this point of the season, but that's just me. I didn't have to make the decision.

Winning is a great deodorant. Bring home a state title and this petty narrative will disappear quickly.

Out of season transfers are overblown. They are non-issues in my book. But a transfer in season, lets say after game 2 or 3, I am sorry but that kid should be ineligible. Even if mom and dad get transferred for work, its a bad break, but if you join a team in late sept or oct you just have to sit out. I just don't think it is that difficult. It's a trend now. It's a viable threat that a$$hole parents are hanging over coaches. It's everything that is wrong with hs sports. If you get get kicked out of your old school in the middle of the season, you have to sit. Are there no consequences? You can't just go find a better deal in October.

I agree with many of the sentiments already expressed. However rather than pooh pooh the issue let's just address the elephant in the room. Because of a complete lack of central and local organizational rule making standards this is technically legal. So no rule has been broken. However anyone with even the slightest sliver of morality, decency, or sense of fair play can clearly see this as a problem. There is no explaining it away. It also is very apparent how far down the slippery slope it is and what the next ramification can be as pointed out by others here.

So in my opinion rather than blame some false bogeyman like the PIAA or the PCL for not having the rule in place let's place the blame exactly where it lies. I can't pretend to know the exact circumstances of this situation but given how many other time we have seen similar scenarios I'm going to make assumptions this looks like other known situations. We all know what happens when assumptions are made.

What has happened at Conwell Egan has happened at many places so they are not alone. Anyone who watched Hershey last year saw a team with 2 Division 1 mid year transfers in a championship game. So we know it happens. We know every situation may be different etc etc.

Too many times we separate the person we know or are associated with from the decision. Good people make bad decisions all the time. You see it in corporate everyday. Some person screws over everyone in their wake to get what is best for them. We say things like that's business. It may be business but it also points out the fact the person is of low character who is in it for them, others be damned. That's OK but that is what it is and who you are. Plenty of people like that.

Schools, coaches and educators often like to say their profession is about affecting lives and should not and cannot be measured as a business. I agree with this in principal and think that should be the goal of every educator. In my opinion every coach is an educator. Coaches preach work ethic, family, dedication, loyalty, character in year round commitment to their "program". Pretty much universal at this point. A big reason many people myself included advocate for the values of high school football for developing young men even in the face of some very concerning medical evidence.

So if you are an adult involved in preaching these values to your men you have to practice what you preach. CE didn't do that. Their president, principal, AD, and coach made terrible decision and shows that all of the values being preached can be cast aside for one goal, winning.

This is happening everywhere, every level. Aforementioned Ridley situation, recent 8th grade CYO situation at Visitation, the phoenix that is NG, kids phantom moving into apartments over pizza places that they don't live at etc etc . As the adult just come out and say at this point we will do anything to win. It's about me, my program, my kids winning and if it's legal we are going to do it no matter what the optics are. Lifting, commitment to the program, family, character is very important until someone better is here and then it is of zero importance because the individual talent improves our chance of winning. We pay lip service to the other stuff because collectively that helps us win but if push comes to shove we will throw that aside to win by any means necessary values be damned.

It's a sad commentary that no one at Conwell Egan could see this and say what they inherently know in their gut. This isn't right. This isn't worth corrupting my character and reputation. This goes against everything we have taught and preached to kids and even if it works out and we win the AA championship(while being the tenth best team in our league) it will tarnish all of the work of the kids who have dedicated themselves and been here. All of these coaches participating in these shenanigans should be embarrassed. Just like in business doesn't make you a pariah just means you fall into the category of you will do whatever it takes to advance you. That's OK but that is who you are. So spare us the Father Flannigan act that its about the kids. It's about you winning. Not unique to CE but that's the bold faced no BS truth.

I agree with many of the sentiments already expressed. However rather than pooh pooh the issue let's just address the elephant in the room. Because of a complete lack of central and local organizational rule making standards this is technically legal. So no rule has been broken. However anyone with even the slightest sliver of morality, decency, or sense of fair play can clearly see this as a problem. There is no explaining it away. It also is very apparent how far down the slippery slope it is and what the next ramification can be as pointed out by others here.

So in my opinion rather than blame some false bogeyman like the PIAA or the PCL for not having the rule in place let's place the blame exactly where it lies. I can't pretend to know the exact circumstances of this situation but given how many other time we have seen similar scenarios I'm going to make assumptions this looks like other known situations. We all know what happens when assumptions are made.

What has happened at Conwell Egan has happened at many places so they are not alone. Anyone who watched Hershey last year saw a team with 2 Division 1 mid year transfers in a championship game. So we know it happens. We know every situation may be different etc etc.

Too many times we separate the person we know or are associated with from the decision. Good people make bad decisions all the time. You see it in corporate everyday. Some person screws over everyone in their wake to get what is best for them. We say things like that's business. It may be business but it also points out the fact the person is of low character who is in it for them, others be damned. That's OK but that is what it is and who you are. Plenty of people like that.

Schools, coaches and educators often like to say their profession is about affecting lives and should not and cannot be measured as a business. I agree with this in principal and think that should be the goal of every educator. In my opinion every coach is an educator. Coaches preach work ethic, family, dedication, loyalty, character in year round commitment to their "program". Pretty much universal at this point. A big reason many people myself included advocate for the values of high school football for developing young men even in the face of some very concerning medical evidence.

So if you are an adult involved in preaching these values to your men you have to practice what you preach. CE didn't do that. Their president, principal, AD, and coach made terrible decision and shows that all of the values being preached can be cast aside for one goal, winning.

This is happening everywhere, every level. Aforementioned Ridley situation, recent 8th grade CYO situation at Visitation, the phoenix that is NG, kids phantom moving into apartments over pizza places that they don't live at etc etc . As the adult just come out and say at this point we will do anything to win. It's about me, my program, my kids winning and if it's legal we are going to do it no matter what the optics are. Lifting, commitment to the program, family, character is very important until someone better is here and then it is of zero importance because the individual talent improves our chance of winning. We pay lip service to the other stuff because collectively that helps us win but if push comes to shove we will throw that aside to win by any means necessary values be damned.

It's a sad commentary that no one at Conwell Egan could see this and say what they inherently know in their gut. This isn't right. This isn't worth corrupting my character and reputation. This goes against everything we have taught and preached to kids and even if it works out and we win the AA championship(while being the tenth best team in our league) it will tarnish all of the work of the kids who have dedicated themselves and been here. All of these coaches participating in these shenanigans should be embarrassed. Just like in business doesn't make you a pariah just means you fall into the category of you will do whatever it takes to advance you. That's OK but that is who you are. So spare us the Father Flannigan act that its about the kids. It's about you winning. Not unique to CE but that's the bold faced no BS truth.

Where was all this outrage when a public school stole Egan's QB who didn't even live in their district? You're just jealous because your team is sitting home and Egan is still playing. These kids are on the verge of history. Very rare for Egan to have Top 10 team in the state. Enjoy the ride.

Where was all this outrage when a public school stole Egan's QB who didn't even live in their district? You're just jealous because your team is sitting home and Egan is still playing. These kids are on the verge of history. Very rare for Egan to have Top 10 team in the state. Enjoy the ride.
I would like more information on why the student transferred to begin with. Did he get expelled or what happened? I'm with the group here that doesn't like an athlete playing for 2 teams in the same sport the same year, unless there is a special circumstance which I haven't heard .

Jealous? Let me guess. Given your comment you are a parent of a kid in the team. As I stated there are many guilty of this. All including the qb situation you state should be embarrassed at the lengths taken to win. Nothing you say intelligently refutes any of my points. Just what about this other guy to justify abhorrent behavior on “your” teams behalf.

Second I don’t have a team. My team graduated about 30 years ago. The last hs guys I coached are in their 30s. Still involved and a fan of the sport. Not a fan of the current landscape and culture across the board. This situation just highlights how ridiculous it has become and what lengths adults(admins, coaches, parents) will go to get a stupid large Hershey bar.

Third what if they win it is Conwell Egan winning exactly? A school with no boundaries beating the tiniest of public schools. Tenth best team in their league. Fourth in Blue division. Lost to Carroll who hasn’t won a league game in two years. Better call the Bedesem family and let them know about this “historic” team. Got news for you. This team isn’t one of ten best Egan team and it’s not close.

You mean top 10 in the 3A class, right?

Lil

I don't know the end reasons, but I will say this, the player is a quality kid with a great family who have ties to Egan. But like many families in lower bucks, many worried about the viability of Egan as it was so close to closing, left a lot people with tough decisions if they wanted a catholic education. ND was not a good fit, so back to bucks a couple years later. Coach Tech is a great person and coach who has a long resume in HS football and well respected. However, I think all agree the PIAA should change their policy and without knowing the specifics, maybe no the best decision having him suit up for Egan this season.

You mean top 10 in the 3A class, right?
Lil

I don't know the end reasons, but I will say this, the player is a quality kid with a great family who have ties to Egan. But like many families in lower bucks, many worried about the viability of Egan as it was so close to closing, left a lot people with tough decisions if they wanted a catholic education. ND was not a good fit, so back to bucks a couple years later. Coach Tech is a great person and coach who has a long resume in HS football and well respected. However, I think all agree the PIAA should change their policy and without knowing the specifics, maybe no the best decision having him suit up for Egan this season.

For those not familiar with the coach, could you elaborate on this resume? What makes him a "great coach"? Just curious.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT