ADVERTISEMENT

who do you predict will win state titles in 2022?

BradlyPitt

Jan 26, 2022
my picks

6A - St. Joes
5A - Imhotep
4A - Aliquippa
3A - Belle Vernon
2A - Southern Columbia
1A - don't have a good guess, I'll go with Bishop Guilfoyle

my picks

6A - St. Joes
5A - Imhotep
4A - Aliquippa
3A - Belle Vernon
2A - Southern Columbia
1A - don't have a good guess, I'll go with Bishop Guilfoyle
I'd try Steelton Highspire on for size at 1A. Guilfoyle was moved to 2A per comp rules. May have missed but didn't see a waiver or challenge. Lots of movement this session.
With so much rebuilding going on in 3, Steel High should have one of the best teams in south central PA. Rollers!

How does Southern Columbia do it? Even the odds say it shouldn’t quite be, yet no questions or complaints. Their record is incredible, almost unbelievable. See the link below and just read first page for summary.

I'd try Steelton Highspire on for size at 1A. Guilfoyle was moved to 2A per comp rules. May have missed but didn't see a waiver or challenge. Lots of movement this session.
With so much rebuilding going on in 3, Steel High should have one of the best teams in south central PA. Rollers!
I also like Steel high in 1 A ,but I will take Trinity in 2A instead of heavy favorite as usual SC. I would have taken McDevitt for sure this year ,but since its closure we will never know.

I also like Steel high in 1 A ,but I will take Trinity in 2A instead of heavy favorite as usual SC. I would have taken McDevitt for sure this year ,but since its closure we will never know.
You can take "the" McDevitt from Harrisburg lil (Ha) to unseat Aliquippa this year. I've got Harrisburg area teams making moves this year with Rollers, McDevitt and Harrisburg making runs. Maybe the rest of the state thinks Hawks are unbeatable but thankfully I come from a district that says....prove it!.... which they may well do. But until then........

You can take "the" McDevitt from Harrisburg lil (Ha) to unseat Aliquippa this year. I've got Harrisburg area teams making moves this year with Rollers, McDevitt and Harrisburg making runs. Maybe the rest of the state thinks Hawks are unbeatable but thankfully I come from a district that says....prove it!.... which they may well do. But until then........

Aliquippa is bringing everybody back, their young stars at the skill positions will be bigger and better and their line already dwarfed everybody else to begin with

if Mcdevitt couldn't beat them last season I don't see how they do it this year

How does Southern Columbia do it? Even the odds say it shouldn’t quite be, yet no questions or complaints. Their record is incredible, almost unbelievable. See the link below and just read first page for summary.

they cheat

heck every team i picked to win state titles cheats lol

it's no coincidence we largely see the same teams every year, or every couple years in Hershey

now somebody respond back with "they just out work and outcoach everybody" BLA BLA BLA

they cheat

it's no coincidence we largely see the same teams every year, or every couple years in Hershey

now somebody respond back with "they just out work and outcoach everybody" BLA BLA BLA
But how can that be when they are a public school? And at least half the schools mentioned are public? …. So cheating is the trick, not hard work or commitment. Finally got that figured out, but I’m still stuck on the public / parochial, private thing and how to cheat properly.

Aliquippa is bringing everybody back, their young stars at the skill positions will be bigger and better and their line already dwarfed everybody else to begin with

if Mcdevitt couldn't beat them last season I don't see how they do it this year
I believe it will again be those two in the final and like last year it will be a great game. McD is loaded as well.

But how can that be when they are a public school? And at least half the schools mentioned are public? …. So cheating is the trick, not hard work or commitment. Finally got that figured out, but I’m still stuck on the public / parochial, private thing and how to cheat properly.
Being votech allows for them to bring in the talent. Same as private schools.

Reactions: Stalker
Being votech allows for them to bring in the talent. Same as private schools.
Can someone explain this? I thought that they have a separate vo-tech school for the entire area that also has its own football team? (Columbia / Montour) Having as many D1 athletes at such a small school usually indicates that kids are attending the school specifically to play football, whether they are being recruited or simply "self-recruiting" because they want to win state championships. With all that said, they clearly have great coaching also and I believe have all the youth programs below them integrated into their offensive scheme.

Reactions: lilromeo
Can someone explain this? I thought that they have a separate vo-tech school for the entire area that also has its own football team? (Columbia / Montour) Having as many D1 athletes at such a small school usually indicates that kids are attending the school specifically to play football, whether they are being recruited or simply "self-recruiting" because they want to win state championships. With all that said, they clearly have great coaching also and I believe have all the youth programs below them integrated into their offensive scheme.
SC gets 100% of the players within their area also. there arent schools recruiting players or players having choices to attend other schools.

Reactions: bucksftball
SC gets 100% of the players within their area also. there arent schools recruiting players or players having choices to attend other schools.
But Lil - how can that be? They have to cheat right? How can they be good if they don’t cheat? I’m so confused … wait, wait a minute … could it be that hard work, commitment and coaching play a role? Hang on, so pine ridge was really on to something and they’re a public school and now they can no longer make that commitment. So maybe cheating isn’t it - ahhh, got it - so a false pretense to start this thread …. An ASSumption to say they all cheat … I’m with you Lil

This article explains it perfectly https://www.sharonherald.com/sports...cle_0fa0ea08-3ff0-11ea-b3bf-53d9bc4121c2.html

simple they have an "aunt" with an address within the district and they claim that address as their own

sometimes schools in the WPIAL block the transfers, but the PIAA clearly doesn't care and overturns the block

But Lil - how can that be? They have to cheat right? How can they be good if they don’t cheat? I’m so confused … wait, wait a minute … could it be that hard work, commitment and coaching play a role? Hang on, so pine ridge was really on to something and they’re a public school and now they can no longer make that commitment. So maybe cheating isn’t it - ahhh, got it - so a false pretense to start this thread …. An ASSumption to say they all cheat … I’m with you Lil
LOL you think some cow town in the middle of nowhere just regularly produces elite teams for 30 years because of "hard work"

yeah just something in the water there...

LOL you think some cow town in the middle of nowhere just regularly produces elite teams for 30 years because of "hard work"

yeah just something in the water there...
But it’s a public school. So public schools that are successful ‘cheat’. Got it.

they cheat

BP, I see you are as always, balanced, fair minded and without rancor.
But about football; Aliquippa does not bring back everyone as you mentioned but you are close. They return 8 starters to the offense, 9 to defense. That is of course if dear Auntie doesn't invite more in for the season. But they face what appears to be a tougher schedule opening with Armstrong (8-5) and their exciting senior Qb Cadin Olsen (6-5, 215, 2501p, 830r). then North Catholic (12-1).
McDevitt is all-in this year with a big boy schedule playing Imhotep in the opener, LaSalle game 3. They return 8 to the offence, 6 to defense. They started one of the top Qbs in the East last year, a freshman, Stone Saunders 146 of 230, 64% for 3037 yards, 46/5 ratio. Repeating myself....as a freshman. I'm thinking he might improve, and that Imhotep/LaSalle are solid proving grounds. They also feature a returning O-Line and one of the best RB tandems in the state. I think they'll challenge.

Reactions: lilromeo
That article is not correct.

If you attend Columbia-Montour Vo Tech - you have to participate for their sports teams. They are a AAAA school that has football among many other sports. They are a stand alone sports program. You cannot live in Berwick, go to Columbia-Montour Vo Tech and play for Southern Columbia. Southern Columbia loses kids to that school and the CANNOT play for Southern Columbia.

York Tech in York PA is exactly the same. You CANNOT attend York Tech and play sports for Spring Grove or Red Lion. You must play sports for York Tech.

There used to be other stand alone vo tech's that offer sports like Bok, Dobbins, South (Pittsburgh), Central (Erie), Johnstown

These are full-time vocational schools that offer sports programs.

Full-Time Co-Ops are between the home residing district and the vo tech.

If they did, Southern Columbia would be a 6A school.

People can shit on SC all they want but if you go back and look at their star players, the overwhelming majority of them played youth and junior high football for them. Now, are any of them held back before 7th grade - possibly. Some used to call that the coal county redshirt for those schools in that region.

Such an ill-informed article...

That article is not correct.

If you attend Columbia-Montour Vo Tech - you have to participate for their sports teams. They are a AAAA school that has football among many other sports. They are a stand alone sports program. You cannot live in Berwick, go to Columbia-Montour Vo Tech and play for Southern Columbia. Southern Columbia loses kids to that school and the CANNOT play for Southern Columbia.

York Tech in York PA is exactly the same. You CANNOT attend York Tech and play sports for Spring Grove or Red Lion. You must play sports for York Tech.

There used to be other stand alone vo tech's that offer sports like Bok, Dobbins, South (Pittsburgh), Central (Erie), Johnstown

These are full-time vocational schools that offer sports programs.

Full-Time Co-Ops are between the home residing district and the vo tech.

If they did, Southern Columbia would be a 6A school.

People can shit on SC all they want but if you go back and look at their star players, the overwhelming majority of them played youth and junior high football for them. Now, are any of them held back before 7th grade - possibly. Some used to call that the coal county redshirt for those schools in that region.

Such an ill-informed article...
It is 100 percent correct. You are missed informed. You can live outside the district and attend the votech.

It is 100 percent correct. You are missed informed. You can live outside the district and attend the votech.
Here’s what I don’t understand… the vo-tech for the area is Columbia-Montour, correct? Southern Columbia students who want to attend a vo-tech school go to C-M, which has its own football team. So what does Southern Columbia, a traditional HS, have to do with vo-tech students?

I looked up multiple sources online, including an article that notes that the Southern Columbia school district was raising taxes in order to contribute $2 millions towards the vo-tech school their students attend, Columbia-Montour.

Wow, this topic has my head spinning- what is the truth!!?? I tend to agree with Bucks??

Of course any of the 7 school districts in Columbia and Montour Counties can attend the Vo Tech. They fund the school. What you don't understand is that once you enroll at the Vo Tech you're ineligible to play sports for your HOME school. You must play for Columbia Montour Vo Tech.

So if there is a kid from Danville HS who wants to attend the Vo Tech, he applies in 8th grade and attends full time from 9th-12th. He cannot play football for Danville. He must play CMVT. The Danville kid can't go to CMVT and somehow attend Southern Columbia.

I am not misinformed.

Here’s what I don’t understand… the vo-tech for the area is Columbia-Montour, correct? Southern Columbia students who want to attend a vo-tech school go to C-M, which has its own football team. So what does Southern Columbia, a traditional HS, have to do with vo-tech students?

I looked up multiple sources online, including an article that notes that the Southern Columbia school district was raising taxes in order to contribute $2 millions towards the vo-tech school their students attend, Columbia-Montour.

Southern Columbia Football has nothing to do with CMVT football and vice versa. CMVT will have Southern kids as well kid from the other 6 sponsored districts. That's why CMVT is a AAAA school.

If CMVT did not have football, Southern could have access to their own kids like 99% of the other vo tech's in PA do. However, it wouldn't help much. If you're any good at football, you don't go to CMVT.

Reactions: bucksftball
The students that attend Columbia-Montour Area Vocational-Technical School play sports at southern Columbia . They also do not need to live within the district. This is a huge reason they dominate football and wrestling.
They do not.

Tell me who these kids are -
https://www.easternpafootball.com/db/schedules/viewteam.php5?id=229

How don't you understand this?

1. Columbia-Montour has their own independent sports programs. Once you enroll there, you cannot play football or wrestle for any school but Columbia-Montour.

2. The Co-Op between CMVT and the rest of 7 sponsored school districts is for CMVT and they're sponsored districts. Meaning - in order for CMVT to have sports they must be able to pull kids from those districts.

3. Southern Columbia has ZERO Co-Ops in football or wrestling - http://www.piaa.org/schools/directory/details.aspx?ID=11205

3. It is completely against the PIAA rules to have an athletic co-op for schools that sponsor that sport. There would be local and statewide outrage if Southern Columbia had complete access to every kid in those districts just as long as they go to the Tech.

4. You are confusing part-time vo tech's that do not have sports programs.

Let's say there was literally no information on this and we were just spitballing - Why on Earth would some kid from Bloomsburg High School who attends CMVT have the right to play for SC? Let's say for a minute that CMVT was part-time (it's not) and didn't have sports (they do). Those kids would have to play for their home districts like everyone else in PA who attends a part-time vo tech.

Last edited:
They do not.

Tell me who these kids are -
https://www.easternpafootball.com/db/schedules/viewteam.php5?id=229

How don't you understand this?

1. Columbia-Montour has their own independent sports programs. Once you enroll there, you cannot play football or wrestle for any school but Columbia-Montour.

2. The Co-Op between CMVT and the rest of 7 sponsored school districts is for CMVT and they're sponsored districts. Meaning - in order for CMVT to have sports they must be able to pull kids from those districts.

3. Southern Columbia has ZERO Co-Ops in football or wrestling - http://www.piaa.org/schools/directory/details.aspx?ID=11205

3. It is completely against the PIAA rules to have an athletic co-op for schools that sponsor that sport. There would be local and statewide outrage if Southern Columbia had complete access to every kid in those districts just as long as they go to the Tech.

4. You are confusing part-time vo tech's that do not have sports programs.

Let's say there was literally no information on this and we were just spitballing - Why on Earth would some kid from Bloomsburg High School who attends CMVT have the right to play for SC? Let's say for a minute that CMVT was part-time (it's not) and didn't have sports (they do). Those kids would have to play for their home districts like everyone else in PA who attends a part-time vo tech.
Steelcetain55 you are wrong. Dhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Columbia_Area_High_School

Last edited:
BP, I see you are as always, balanced, fair minded and without rancor.
But about football; Aliquippa does not bring back everyone as you mentioned but you are close. They return 8 starters to the offense, 9 to defense. That is of course if dear Auntie doesn't invite more in for the season. But they face what appears to be a tougher schedule opening with Armstrong (8-5) and their exciting senior Qb Cadin Olsen (6-5, 215, 2501p, 830r). then North Catholic (12-1).
McDevitt is all-in this year with a big boy schedule playing Imhotep in the opener, LaSalle game 3. They return 8 to the offence, 6 to defense. They started one of the top Qbs in the East last year, a freshman, Stone Saunders 146 of 230, 64% for 3037 yards, 46/5 ratio. Repeating myself....as a freshman. I'm thinking he might improve, and that Imhotep/LaSalle are solid proving grounds. They also feature a returning O-Line and one of the best RB tandems in the state. I think they'll challenge.
aliquippa reloads and replaces everybody they lose, as they are the beaver county all star team

Armstrong and North Catholic have ZERO chance of challenging them

I think Mcdevitt can challenge them, but I wouldn't bet on them winning

ok so what are everybody's predictions for state champs?

I guess it really is that predictable so why discuss it LOL

aliquippa reloads and replaces everybody they lose, as they are the beaver county all star team

Armstrong and North Catholic have ZERO chance of challenging them

I think Mcdevitt can challenge them, but I wouldn't bet on them winning
Switch your thoughts (bottom) to read McDevitt instead of Aliquippa and Dauphin in place of Beaver and we're back to square one, if you really believe that. Not sure I do.
Also, others are trying to reload too. Few are static and none are talking silly stuff (transfers, fairness and what ifs) like we do on the board. Can't speak for D7. Can tell you in D3, they're prepping to kick McDevitt's ass. Suit up, get after em. So lets see if they even get out of the district.
McDevitt, LaSalle and Imhotep also have to survive each other in early encounters in what will be high energy, physical games.

"aliquippa reloads and replaces everybody they lose, as they are the beaver county all star team"

Steelcetain55 you are wrong. Do a little research. Post the MaxPreps Columbia-Montour Area Vocational-Technical School football link up here then. It is not against the piaa rules, no boundaries schools are not against the piaa rules and many people are in an uproar about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Columbia_Area_High_School

Research? - I worked at Danville HS. The kids at Danville cannot go to CMVT and play football for SC.

Why would posting the maxpreps site prove anything? What are you looking for on the maxpreps site.

https://www.maxpreps.com/pa/bloomsburg/columbia-montour-vo-tech-rams/football/roster/

CMVT is set up exactly like York Tech in York PA. Those kids cannot return to play athletics for their home district or any other school in York County.

CMVT has boundaries - no can kid can attend that school except for the 7 sponsored schools. Are you conflating CMVT as a school like a charter school such as Propel in Pittsburgh which now CO-OP's with Imani Christian in football because Propel does not sponsor football??? You do realize that Imani has now moved up in classification because of the CO-OP with Propel.

CMVT is not some gateway to secretly play sports at SC. Southern Columbia DOES NOT have any CO-OP with any school in football or wrestling. I've posted the link. PIAA does not allow CO-OPs with schools that already sponsor that sport. All schools that CO-OP are listed on the PIAA site.

Research? - I worked at Danville HS. The kids at Danville cannot go to CMVT and play football for SC.

Why would posting the maxpreps site prove anything? What are you looking for on the maxpreps site.

https://www.maxpreps.com/pa/bloomsburg/columbia-montour-vo-tech-rams/football/roster/

CMVT is set up exactly like York Tech in York PA. Those kids cannot return to play athletics for their home district or any other school in York County.

CMVT has boundaries - no can kid can attend that school except for the 7 sponsored schools. Are you conflating CMVT as a school like a charter school such as Propel in Pittsburgh which now CO-OP's with Imani Christian in football because Propel does not sponsor football??? You do realize that Imani has now moved up in classification because of the CO-OP with Propel.

CMVT is not some gateway to secretly play sports at SC. Southern Columbia DOES NOT have any CO-OP with any school in football or wrestling. I've posted the link. PIAA does not allow CO-OPs with schools that already sponsor that sport. All schools that CO-OP are listed on the PIAA site.
You're wrong about a few things. I know of kids outside the district that have played at SC and the piaa allows for schools to consolidate in sports. Look it up the kids in youngsville pa play football at Warren pa for example. SC doesn't have boundaries due to the votech.

1. Name the kids outside of Southern's school district who have played for SC.

2. Show me the legislation where the PIAA allows for "consolidation" in sports when both schools offer the sponsoring sports. Hint - you won't find any because the PIAA does not allow co-ops between 2 schools that sponsor the same sport.

3. Youngsville DOES NOT have FOOTBALL, hence if they have a kid who would like to play football the school must have a co-op with another school. If Warren is that school that has agreed to co-op, then the Youngsville kid can play football at Warren. Warren HS now must absorb those boys in their enrollment for classification purposes. That's why many schools refuse to do co-ops.

4. CMVT has football as do every single one of the other sponsoring districts. Hence, there is no freaking co-op between these schools.

5. Southern Columbia SD clearly has geographical boundaries.

6. CMVT is not located in the Southern Columbia school district. It is located in the Bloomsburg Area School District.

You certainly don't understand how co-ops work in PA. Hence, you've bought into this mythical message board fodder that SC has this mystical Vo Tech in their school district where they have access to all of their athletes and has led to them reaching unprecedented domination.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT