ADVERTISEMENT

which Bishop Mcdevitt team is the best ever?

BradlyPitt

Jan 26, 2022
last years team looked very good

2004 on paper looks the best, maybe 2005 was better but that team lost Lesean Mccoy early in the year

what about their state finalist teams that lost to Archbishop Wood? great teams that ran into a greater team, or just good teams that happened to make the final?

2004 on paper looks the best, maybe 2005 was better but that team lost Lesean Mccoy early in the year

what about their state finalist teams that lost to Archbishop Wood? great teams that ran into a greater team, or just good teams that happened to make the final?
I'll take 200
They weren't the best quip team ever. I will take Gilbert's bunch over this bunch. Law's bunch probably too..
03 Darrelle Reevis team was nice. He had one of the most dominant performance in a state title game.

Reactions: Bighead75
i asked which Mcdevit team was the best, some how it turned into a "best Aliquippa team ever" thread

one team having Sean Gilbert, Ty Law, or Darrelle Revis does not make them a better TEAM

if last years Quips team ends up with a player in the NFL they'll be in the argument right?

i asked which Mcdevit team was the best, some how it turned into a "best Aliquippa team ever" thread

one team having Sean Gilbert, Ty Law, or Darrelle Revis does not make them a better TEAM

if last years Quips team ends up with a player in the NFL they'll be in the argument right?
Put the tape on.. The 1988 was USA Today's #2 ranked team. They had much more then just Gilbert who was a top 3 player in the country. Western PA football in terms of talent and numbers today is nothing like what it was then.

Put the tape on.. The 1988 was USA Today's #2 ranked team. They had much more then just Gilbert who was a top 3 player in the country. Western PA football in terms of talent and numbers today is nothing like what it was then.
I mean no disrespect to teams from the 80s, I’m sure they were great for the time. But there is absolutely no way 1988 Quip beats present day quip. Present quip line averages 300 pounds. I just watched parts of the 1988 Piaa final vs Berwick. Their wasn’t a guy above 240

Like I said, no disrespect to teams pre-1990. Kids have gotten bigger and stronger due to advancements in diet, weightlifting, etc

But there is absolutely no way 1988 Quip beats present day quip. Present quip line averages 300 pounds. I just watched parts of the 1988 Piaa final vs Berwick. Their wasn’t a guy above 240
The question isn't who can "beat" who.

The point being made is the talent level on that team and everywhere else in WPA was night and day different compared to today.

Case in point -

2023 FBS - (Power 5) recruits from the WPIAL

1. Rodney Gallagher - WVU (P5)
2. Lamont Payne - PSU (P5)
3. Braylan Lovelace - PITT (P5)
4. Cruce Brookins - PITT (P5)
5. Jordan Mayer - Wisky (P5)
6. Davoun Fuse - Rutgers (P5)

7. Conlan Greene - Temple
8 Joe Enick - Central Michigan
9. Greg Smith - Miami of Ohio
10. Raion Strader - Miami of Ohio
11. Chris Dappolonia - Toledo
12. Kade Capristo - Richmond

This past season, the WPIAL only produced 6 Power 5 kids. It's been that way for quite some time. Go back to 1988 and you'll see individual conferences with 2x that amount of Power 5 kids. If you fast forward to 1995, Penn Hills had 5 power 5 kids on their team alone. 1987 North Hills has around a dozen kids who either went FBS or FCS on just that team alone.

In terms of the 2022 Quips compared to the 1988 team. The 2022 Quips were not very athletic up front. If you thought they had a problem blocking the kid from McDevitt who is going to James Madison, what would they have done vs. the Gatorade National Defensive Player of the Year in Sean Gilbert?

Ok I graduated in 1989, so the 1988 Quips were something special. Saw them play Brownsville who was loaded and win. The WPIAL back then was one of the best areas for high school football and was producing great NCAA and NFL football players. Aliquippa in the 1980's was so much better than they were today because the WPIAL was better then than it is today. The PIAA was better overall as well. Just go back and look at the teams back then east and west. Guys PA used to be a power back then now not so much

The question isn't who can "beat" who.

The point being made is the talent level on that team and everywhere else in WPA was night and day different compared to today.

Case in point -

2023 FBS - (Power 5) recruits from the WPIAL

1. Rodney Gallagher - WVU (P5)
2. Lamont Payne - PSU (P5)
3. Braylan Lovelace - PITT (P5)
4. Cruce Brookins - PITT (P5)
5. Jordan Mayer - Wisky (P5)
6. Davoun Fuse - Rutgers (P5)

7. Conlan Greene - Temple
8 Joe Enick - Central Michigan
9. Greg Smith - Miami of Ohio
10. Raion Strader - Miami of Ohio
11. Chris Dappolonia - Toledo
12. Kade Capristo - Richmond

This past season, the WPIAL only produced 6 Power 5 kids. It's been that way for quite some time. Go back to 1988 and you'll see individual conferences with 2x that amount of Power 5 kids. If you fast forward to 1995, Penn Hills had 5 power 5 kids on their team alone. 1987 North Hills has around a dozen kids who either went FBS or FCS on just that team alone.

In terms of the 2022 Quips compared to the 1988 team. The 2022 Quips were not very athletic up front. If you thought they had a problem blocking the kid from McDevitt who is going to James Madison, what would they have done vs. the Gatorade National Defensive Player of the Year in Sean Gilbert?
Definitely back in the day WPIAL had more talent RELATIVE to the rest of state/country, but that mostly has to do with population. So maybe 1988 Quip had more college guys.

But in a vacuum, 2021 Quip would be better. Size difference would be to vast

Definitely back in the day WPIAL had more talent RELATIVE to the rest of state/country, but that mostly has to do with population. So maybe 1988 Quip had more college guys.

But in a vacuum, 2021 Quip would be better. Size difference would be to vast
You're WAY overemphasizing size. Case in point, Bishop McDevitt 2022 who humbled, repeat, humbled the overrated line that was....is....so talked about from Aliquippa. The examples of big lines continually getting whipped are manifold, evident every season and every postseason.
I'll take athletes that can move over jelly bellies ANY day.

Reactions: steelcurtain55.
There is a reason with all that size that none of Aliquippa's lineman received even one FCS much less an FBS offer.

Listen, they were nice kids and did a good job. But, I'm telling you right now, they'd get chewed up from some of the previous quip squads. Sean Fitzsimmons killed them last year. The kid from McDevitt damn near won the game for McDevitt from a defensive perspective.

Reactions: Stalker
Interesting discussion here that I think related to my high school.

A few years after I graduated, 1981 Mt. Lebanon finished 13-0. Joe Paterno said that it was as good a high school team as he ever saw. They had more p5 players than the 2021 team. I’m going to compare the size of their offensive lines:

1981. 2021
T 6-2 218. T 6-3 295
G 6-0 212 G 6-1 235
C 6-0 210. C 6-2 255
G 6-2 215. G 6-3 285
T 6-4 218. T 6-6 230

The weight difference here is staggering, although 1981 technically had more talent. if you put the teams against each other as is, there is no doubt in my mind the 2021 team would win.

Players today have more advantages than yesteryear, that’s just reality. When I was in highschool, we hardly lifted weights. We thought it made you slower!

Interesting discussion here that I think related to my high school.

A few years after I graduated, 1981 Mt. Lebanon finished 13-0. Joe Paterno said that it was as good a high school team as he ever saw. They had more p5 players than the 2021 team. I’m going to compare the size of their offensive lines:

1981. 2021
T 6-2 218. T 6-3 295
G 6-0 212 G 6-1 235
C 6-0 210. C 6-2 255
G 6-2 215. G 6-3 285
T 6-4 218. T 6-6 230

The weight difference here is staggering, although 1981 technically had more talent. if you put the teams against each other as is, there is no doubt in my mind the 2021 team would win.

Players today have more advantages than yesteryear, that’s just reality. When I was in highschool, we hardly lifted weights. We thought it made you slower!
#1 Comment- to "quote a quote" I heard from a recent HS player- there's a big difference between "bad big and good big." Very rare is the player that is "big on paper" but is a really good player. Most kids who are 300 pounds in HS are not very good.

#2 Comment- recent Quip teams- yes very good, but yes those big kids were not very athletic- totally agree w other posters- tough to "compare eras" but most good players from the 80s were better, tougher, and were coached tougher. I would give edge to 1988 Quips over 2022 Quips

Regarding McDevitt- I'm not sure

where do i get the tape, i would like to see it

still nobody can answer which Mcdevit team is the best, not even Stalker who I think is a Harrisburg guy

oh well i guess i won't have to start the "which Aliquippa team is the best" thread

There is a reason with all that size that none of Aliquippa's lineman received even one FCS much less an FBS offer.

Listen, they were nice kids and did a good job. But, I'm telling you right now, they'd get chewed up from some of the previous quip squads. Sean Fitzsimmons killed them last year. The kid from McDevitt damn near won the game for McDevitt from a defensive perspective.
so they had trouble with one kid who was a dominant high school player with the D1 offers to prove it i Sean Fitzsimmons, a kid i can imagine playing on Sunday

the fact of the matter is most high school teams don't have a line that can match up with 300 pound high school kids, no matter how sloppy or "jelly bellies" they are, that's just too much size for most high school teams to deal with especially if they were playing in the lower classes as they did for most of the last 20 years

don't forget they have college level talent throughout the roster, with the offers to prove it, though i'm not convinced the running back is as good as his offer sheet

correct me if i'm wrong but i think they actually had somewhat of a kicking game too last year, can't say that about most Quip teams that's for sure

unfortunately history will remember them as "losers" because they had to play a team that was better in Bishop Mcdevitt, as if Darrelle Revis could will his team to a win, sorry but Northern Lehigh was not quite the same competition

so they had trouble with one kid who was a dominant high school player with the D1 offers to prove it i Sean Fitzsimmons, a kid i can imagine playing on Sunday

the fact of the matter is most high school teams don't have a line that can match up with 300 pound high school kids, no matter how sloppy or "jelly bellies" they are, that's just too much size for most high school teams to deal with especially if they were playing in the lower classes as they did for most of the last 20 years

don't forget they have college level talent throughout the roster, with the offers to prove it, though i'm not convinced the running back is as good as his offer sheet

correct me if i'm wrong but i think they actually had somewhat of a kicking game too last year, can't say that about most Quip teams that's for sure

unfortunately history will remember them as "losers" because they had to play a team that was better in Bishop Mcdevitt, as if Darrelle Revis could will his team to a win, sorry but Northern Lehigh was not quite the same competition
It wasn't just Fitzsimmons. The Robell kid who is going to James Madison lit them up too. I'm not sure how many quality DL they've faced the past 2 seasons.

I agree with you that Quips have had unusual size the past 3 seasons that has allowed to not get "bullied" by other teams with "big" guys. Quip did a nice job of engulfing and stalemating opponents but when they faced athletic fronts, they struggled because they don't move very well. I knew McDevitt was probably going to win that game. Not because of McDevitt's skill. Because I had seen McDevitt's OL/DL improve tremendously from the previous season.

In terms of college talent on the current roster, I think Lindsey is the best of all of them. I think his game translates well to the next level in this day and age. He's going to have to get bigger and stronger though. The rest all look like FCS/MAC guys at best.

I agree with you on the RB. He's very good but I think some of the attention he got early on was to purely open the doors at Aliquippa (Terry Smith) where in years past some of those doors were shut.

I do not think Revis' team was better. Josh Lay's team maybe was had he not broke his hand. Mo Weekley was a Sunday kid had he not screwed his life up. I've had several tell me that he was the closest thing to Gilbert but still Sean was on another level. I went to college with a quip who's brother had played with Sean and had the '87/'88 highlight film. It was honestly like watching a comic book movie. 6'5 270 MLB and Guard who ran 4.6 on a bad day. Just an absolute freak. If I'm not mistaken they had 2 other guys make it to pro ball off that team. At least a dozen division 1 kids scattered through that roster. If I'm not mistaken, they had scrimmaged the legendary North Hills team and it was a blood bath.

Reactions: sammyk
still nobody can answer which Mcdevit team is the best, not even Stalker who I think is a Harrisburg guy

oh well i guess i won't have to start the "which Aliquippa team is the best" thread
I answered it over a week ago in another thread, wondering why we're talking about it again.

The McDevitt teams in the past played BIG BOY football when they were in the old Mid-Penn 1. Now they play Hershey, LD, and Palmyra. They play no one. The 1988 team was the best in school history followed by the 1995 State title team with Raki Nelson, Jordan Scott and Cory Diebler. Yes they were AA but they had to run the table of CV, CD, Harrisburg and many other AAAA teams at the time. These two teams would have taken care of this years team with no problem.

It wasn't just Fitzsimmons. The Robell kid who is going to James Madison lit them up too. I'm not sure how many quality DL they've faced the past 2 seasons.

I agree with you that Quips have had unusual size the past 3 seasons that has allowed to not get "bullied" by other teams with "big" guys. Quip did a nice job of engulfing and stalemating opponents but when they faced athletic fronts, they struggled because they don't move very well. I knew McDevitt was probably going to win that game. Not because of McDevitt's skill. Because I had seen McDevitt's OL/DL improve tremendously from the previous season.

In terms of college talent on the current roster, I think Lindsey is the best of all of them. I think his game translates well to the next level in this day and age. He's going to have to get bigger and stronger though. The rest all look like FCS/MAC guys at best.

I agree with you on the RB. He's very good but I think some of the attention he got early on was to purely open the doors at Aliquippa (Terry Smith) where in years past some of those doors were shut.

I do not think Revis' team was better. Josh Lay's team maybe was had he not broke his hand. Mo Weekley was a Sunday kid had he not screwed his life up. I've had several tell me that he was the closest thing to Gilbert but still Sean was on another level. I went to college with a quip who's brother had played with Sean and had the '87/'88 highlight film. It was honestly like watching a comic book movie. 6'5 270 MLB and Guard who ran 4.6 on a bad day. Just an absolute freak. If I'm not mistaken they had 2 other guys make it to pro ball off that team. At least a dozen division 1 kids scattered through that roster. If I'm not mistaken, they had scrimmaged the legendary North Hills team and it was a blood bath.
you think the 2000 Quips team was better than last years Quips team?

I answered it over a week ago in another thread, wondering why we're talking about it again.
which one? i didn't see it

would it have killed you to answer in this thread, instead of replying back with yet another smartass comment?

The McDevitt teams in the past played BIG BOY football when they were in the old Mid-Penn 1. Now they play Hershey, LD, and Palmyra. They play no one. The 1988 team was the best in school history followed by the 1995 State title team with Raki Nelson, Jordan Scott and Cory Diebler. Yes they were AA but they had to run the table of CV, CD, Harrisburg and many other AAAA teams at the time. These two teams would have taken care of this years team with no problem.
they beat all those AAAA teams in 95?

they would stop Lesean Mccoy in 2004 and 2005? and were those teams better than last years team?

which one? i didn't see it

would it have killed you to answer in this thread, instead of replying back with yet another smartass comment?
Would it have killed you to show the board some respect and READ other's responses/entries without needing them repeated? Try keeping up instead of getting so angry with everyone.

If you find my statement "I answered it over a week ago in another thread, wondering why we're talking about it again" 'another smartass remark', you really need to get out more.

Reactions: roxychknpoxy

they would stop Lesean Mccoy in 2004 and 2005? and were those teams better than last years team?
Yes, they beat all those teams. McDevitt is now ducking Harrisburg and all thier old rivals. Also, all of Weckters teams would have gotten out Coached as well. Tim Rimpful and Four Chapmen would have thier teams way better Coached.

Yes, they beat all those teams. McDevitt is now ducking Harrisburg and all thier old rivals. Also, all of Weckters teams would have gotten out Coached as well. Tim Rimpful and Four Chapmen would have thier teams way better Coached.
MP, sounds like you have a bone to pick. I too wish they'd stayed "up" but what are you going to do. Amen on Chapman. I think they'd have another 3-4 gold medals if he was still at the helm.

MP, sounds like you have a bone to pick. I too wish they'd stayed "up" but what are you going to do. Amen on Chapman. I think they'd have another 3-4 gold medals if he was still at the helm.
Stalk,
I have a hard time when people try to compare these McDevitt Teams with the teams of the past. The teams that played in the old Mid-Penn 1 played a brutal schedule. Every team had a list of D-1 players and the Coaching at that time was second to none. The McDevitt teams now are playing bad teams. I would love to see them play the old rivals again.

Stalk,
I have a hard time when people try to compare these McDevitt Teams with the teams of the past. The teams that played in the old Mid-Penn 1 played a brutal schedule. Every team had a list of D-1 players and the Coaching at that time was second to none. The McDevitt teams now are playing bad teams. I would love to see them play the old rivals again.
MP- is part of this cuz of the 6 class system? Meaning like if they are 4A now, 20 years ago, they might need to face other big schools? I have been thinking that for a few years now, it almost seems like a "state title" is more watered down now? And also weird- as PA population declines, now there are more levels- you'd think with less population maybe we should have less "classes" not more? Funny, for each winner- they are "the best in the state" but not really cuz there are 6?

Also- maybe more flexibility from the state maybe- allowing more teams to "pick their own opponents?"

Reactions: MPChesco
Stalk,
For sure. I've told BPitt and others that in my view you can't compare. You can talk about it but there's no resolution or proving. On and on.......? One of the best teams I ever saw and still think is one of the best, emphasis on my seeing them, was the 2005 team before Shady went down. This year's may top that offensively but looking at old vids the 1995 team had them with their physicality, taking nothing from McD's '22 D-front.
The 95 team had it all and a Qb that could run and pass, way underrated. And that Diebler, Dieder (?) was 6-4 240-50..?and mobile, running people down. Chapman was a great coach.
About this year's team. I thought their soft sch might get them, not having played good comp since LaSalle, Imhotep, especially with Colts down with a young group. Bottom line, the MP-Keystone is a weak conference providing McD no prep for post season. Hated it when they left the MP-1 but hope they maintain quality non-conf teams.

Reactions: MPChesco
MP- is part of this cuz of the 6 class system? Meaning like if they are 4A now, 20 years ago, they might need to face other big schools? I have been thinking that for a few years now, it almost seems like a "state title" is more watered down now? And also weird- as PA population declines, now there are more levels- you'd think with less population maybe we should have less "classes" not more? Funny, for each winner- they are "the best in the state" but not really cuz there are 6?

Also- maybe more flexibility from the state maybe- allowing more teams to "pick their own opponents?"
The 6 classes water it all down. In my opinion there should be 4 classes for boundry schools and 2 for the non boundry schools (Big and Small). That way they can all play each other in the regular season and the Mcdevitts of the world can play better teams and it not hurt them or the boundry schools to get into the playoffs.

For sure. I've told BPitt and others that in my view you can't compare. You can talk about it but there's no resolution or proving. On and on.......? One of the best teams I ever saw and still think is one of the best, emphasis on my seeing them, was the 2005 team before Shady went down. This year's may top that offensively but looking at old vids the 1995 team had them with their physicality, taking nothing from McD's '22 D-front.
The 95 team had it all and a Qb that could run and pass, way underrated. And that Diebler, Dieder (?) was 6-4 240-50..?and mobile, running people down. Chapman was a great coach.
About this year's team. I thought their soft sch might get them, not having played good comp since LaSalle, Imhotep, especially with Colts down with a young group. Bottom line, the MP-Keystone is a weak conference providing McD no prep for post season. Hated it when they left the MP-1 but hope they maintain quality non-conf teams.
I know I am going back but the 1988 team had Ricky Waters (ND), James Bryant (Ohio State) and Sean Barowski (Penn State) all in the same backfield with a bunch of 1AA and division 2 kids all over that team. In my mind that was the best McD team. With that being said they still lost to Carlisle and Michael Owens. That league was stacked then

you think the 2000 Quips team was better than last years Quips team?
I'm not saying that. I'm saying that I don't think Revis' team was better and that if you were to compare the 2 (Revis/Lay) squads, the 2000 team might be better with a healthy Lay.

1995 beat all those huge AAAA's from the Commonwealth. This is when Cumberland Valley was a statewide power. Cedar Cliff was a different animal back then. Harrisburg High had like 4-5 starters who were D1 that year.

I know I am going back but the 1988 team had Ricky Waters (ND), James Bryant (Ohio State) and Sean Barowski (Penn State) all in the same backfield with a bunch of 1AA and division 2 kids all over that team. In my mind that was the best McD team. With that being said they still lost to Carlisle and Michael Owens. That league was stacked then
Are you thinking about the 1985 team?

If Chapman stayed through the 00's, he'd definitely have 3-4 state titles.

ADVERTISEMENT