ADVERTISEMENT

Upper Darby

UD may need a great program builder. That does not mean the candidate is the best coach. They’re in an area with a nice pool of talent, but at this point they’re just going elsewhere. They’re losing recruits to schools with tuition and that can’t happen if they want to be successful with a school of that size.

I think that’s the problem that people fail to realize. There isn’t untapped talent walking the halls. The talent is going elsewhere, it starts inside the administration building. If they don’t fix that problem then it doesn’t matter who you bring in, the next coach will continue to fight an uphill battle.

UD had a staff full of good men that they dismissed a few years ago, because admin thought it was time for a change. From what I have heard, the latest coach was also a very good man, who worked hard to change culture with the program and wasn't finding the support he needed. His staff are good men as well.

That tells me that the real issues with the program don't have anything to do with who coaches the kids....I am not sure the powers that be in the district know enough or care enough to really do what is needed to support the program. It is a different animal there with different issues that most (not all) other programs don't have to overcome.

This is a dead-end job. District administration is a mess.
There aren't athletes all over the hallways as people think. English is a second language at home for many. Lack of parenting is apparent.

Most end up in Catholic/private schools well before HS and UDHS is not a destination if the family can sacrifice for a Catholic/private school education. Chaos in the hallways, fights at games, restaurants destroyed postgame (they were locking the doors and do the same at the end of every school day), limits on student spectators, and the list goes on. There are so many other things going on that go way beyond football.

I'm sure the football program & athletics are way down the priority list at this point.

This is a dead-end job. District administration is a mess.
There aren't athletes all over the hallways as people think. English is a second language at home for many. Lack of parenting is apparent.

Most end up in Catholic/private schools well before HS and UDHS is not a destination if the family can sacrifice for a Catholic/private school education. Chaos in the hallways, fights at games, restaurants destroyed postgame (they were locking the doors and do the same at the end of every school day), limits on student spectators, and the list goes on. There are so many other things going on that go way beyond football.

I'm sure the football program & athletics are way down the priority list at this point.
I wouldn't say football & athletics aren't high on the priority list, as they just put 2 turf fields in (one @ each middle school). The diversity within the district results in students playing other sports or none at all.

The biggest issue is the culture - it's terrible and to no fault of the student body. It is more likely Due to the fact that the entire district is under staffed, underpaid & overwhelmed. Society in general today lacks accountability & responsibility. High turnover rates of younger teachers as the more experienced are near retirement The virtual schooling hurt as well...and yes there very well may be parenting issues. unfortunately some parents just dont know how to parent due to the fact they've never seen good parenting themselves, while others are just bad parents, negligent or absent.

As for the coaching
1. You need someone who understands the climate there. Be it 1st hand living it or 2nd hand witnessing it
2. The program is not ready to simulate a college program - it is far from it. The progeam is still in the K.I.S.S. stages.
3. The program needs to be built from the ground up. It currently consists of a JV , Varsity program (10-12th). The 9th grade program is its own progrm as are the middle schools & youth teams.
4. Most of all the head coach needs to be a listener not a talker. He needs to allow the players to express their feelings and not make it all about his beliefs, lifestyle & family. After all as coaches we are usully guests helping create a positive experienxe for kids, while teaching life lessons; unless youre coaching at your Alma mater.
The kids are great. The foundation you're building upon is resilience. What should be the programs 1st line of support is actually its nemesis. Most wont have the fortitude to overcome that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT