ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 (regardless of classification)

not_a_fan

May 7, 2011
This is just my list based on what I've seen, read after 1st couple weeks of the season...I know some of the vets on the board will have more input so feel free to throw in 2 cents....

1. St. Joe’s Prep (12)...they're baaack, barring unforeseen injury they are at least a 21 pt favorite against any 6A team in PA right now.
2. Imhotep Charter (12)...this team is loaded with prospects and skill is too much for anyone except maybe Prep
3. Harrisburg (3)...talented roster and been there before. D will carry them
4. Bishop McDevitt (3)...this team will be a nightmare in 4A for the next 2 years with their sophomores and juniors. May still be a year away but don't count them out in 4A race
5. Aliquippa (7)....talented team with size like very few can match in 4A
6. Pittsburgh Central Catholic (7)....seems to be a 6A version of McDevitt playing some young guys but system seems a little vanilla. Luckily WPIAL 6A is pretty light
7. Gateway (7)...definitely will be challenged in a rugged 5A WPIAL so don't look ahead to potential matchup vs. Imhotep.
8. Erie Cathedral Prep (10)...seems to be down in talent but still class of D10
9. Garnet Valley (1)...system seems be on auto pilot and looking like another trip to D1 Final could be in the cards
10. Roman Catholic (12)...playmaker Denmark is on a national level but lack consistent play up front & at QB

Honorable Mention (no order): LaSalle (12), Exeter Twp. (3), Wyomissing (3), Emmaus (11), Coatesville (1)

This is just my list based on what I've seen, read after 1st couple weeks of the season...I know some of the vets on the board will have more input so feel free to throw in 2 cents....

1. St. Joe’s Prep (12)...they're baaack, barring unforeseen injury they are at least a 21 pt favorite against any 6A team in PA right now.
2. Imhotep Charter (12)...this team is loaded with prospects and skill is too much for anyone except maybe Prep
4. Bishop McDevitt (3)...this team will be a nightmare in 4A for the next 2 years with their sophomores and juniors. May still be a year away but don't count them out in 4A race
6. Pittsburgh Central Catholic (7)....seems to be a 6A version of McDevitt playing some young guys but system seems a little vanilla. Luckily WPIAL 6A is pretty light
7. Gateway (7)...definitely will be challenged in a rugged 5A WPIAL so don't look ahead to potential matchup vs. Imhotep.
9. Garnet Valley (1)...system seems be on auto pilot and looking like another trip to D1 Final could be in the cards
10. Roman Catholic (12)...playmaker Denmark is on a national level but lack consistent play up front & at QB

Honorable Mention (no order): LaSalle (12), Exeter Twp. (3), Wyomissing (3), Emmaus (11), Coatesville

I would slide malvern Prep #4, Romanup a few and Coatsville instead of Garnet Valley
Coatesville’s D looked very good but need to see them against C Dauphin and the Dtowns. This is one of those years where the D looks better than the O.

I would slide malvern Prep #4, Romanup a few and Coatsville instead of Garnet Valley
Should have specified PIAA schools only. But agreed that Malvern would be a top 5 team. I'm not sold on Coatesville just yet & kind of giving Garnet Valley a "rollover" from past until they stumble.

Roman is interesting b/c I could see them challenging LaSalle and Prep in PCL games but more likely is they lose to both and finish the season at 7-4 w/ losses to Malvern, SJP, LaSalle, & Imhotep (playoffs).

Honorable Mention (no order): LaSalle (12), Exeter Twp. (3), Wyomissing (3), Emmaus (11), Coatesville (1)
Being an Erie prep guy I disagree with you when you say they seem to be down in talent. Their QB, Rd/lb, and wr/db all have received D1 offers. Their biggest D1 guy is jr OL/DL Jaivani Cooley 6'5 265 who has offers from Toledo, Pitt, and Wisconsin and will receive more. They are also senior heavy so this is their year. Biggest loss is their legendary coach of 20+ years Mike Mischler. As of now I have them as my best 5A team on the western part of the state followed by gateway.

Last edited:
Being an Erie prep guy I disagree with you when you say they seem to be down in talent. Their QB, Rd/lb, and wr/db all have received D1 offers. Their biggest D1 guy is jr OL/DL Jaivani Cooley 6'5 265 who has offers from Toledo, Pitt, and Wisconsin and will receive more. They are also senior heavy so this is their year. Biggest loss is their legendary coach of 20+ years Mike Mischler. As of now I have them as my best 5A team on the western part of the state followed by gateway.
Haus-didn't mean to offend, I'm not going to pretend that I know nearly as much about the western side as I do the eastern side being that I live in Exton. Maybe I just hadn't heard as much about some of those guys as usual. For what it's worth, I still have them at #8 in the state so "down in talent" is more of a compliment than anything...

Haus-didn't mean to offend, I'm not going to pretend that I know nearly as much about the western side as I do the eastern side being that I live in Exton. Maybe I just hadn't heard as much about some of those guys as usual. For what it's worth, I still have them at #8 in the state so "down in talent" is more of a compliment than anything...
Not offended at all but I may be a little bias too so I would have ECP above gateway, aliquippa, and pcc. I would probably bump Garnet valley from the list and add central valley. Just my opinion.

Coatesville’s D looked very good but need to see them against C Dauphin and the Dtowns. This is one of those years where the D looks better than the O.
CD's struggling Ches especially offensively so I'm not sure they'll be a test. No give up, just not as talented as usual. Sometimes even the steady historic winners hit a dip. Definitely 'dipping' and as usual....no slack in the schedule.

CD's struggling Ches especially offensively so I'm not sure they'll be a test. No give up, just not as talented as usual. Sometimes even the steady historic winners hit a dip. Definitely 'dipping' and as usual....no slack in the schedule.
They played 2 tough teams and I think they are the power that George Chaump coached? I like that Coatesvillle usually schedules a mid Penn team (Harrisburg, Cumberland Valley or CD) besides a solid SOL team and the Chesmont schedule

Ches-curious to see what Coatesville really is this year. They don't have the big name weapons at RB & WR as in year's past but the QB Susi is one of the top dual threats in District 1. The Defense seems to be one of the better units they've had in awhile. Schedule still shows Unionville, @Rustin, DWest, and @DEast as some tough Ches-Mont games. Overall, District 1 6A doesn't seem to have much to compete on state level. Coatesville, Garnet, North Penn are the three that stand out but I wouldn't pick any of them to compete with winners of D12, D3, or D7.

Ches-curious to see what Coatesville really is this year. They don't have the big name weapons at RB & WR as in year's past but the QB Susi is one of the top dual threats in District 1. The Defense seems to be one of the better units they've had in awhile. Schedule still shows Unionville, @Rustin, DWest, and @DEast as some tough Ches-Mont games. Overall, District 1 6A doesn't seem to have much to compete on state level. Coatesville, Garnet, North Penn are the three that stand out but I wouldn't pick any of them to compete with winners of D12, D3, or

Is Garnet Valley 5A this year? Did I read they dropped down this year or am I mistaken?

Not - Agreed with all of your points and Cville Offense seems to be a step down comparing to most other years (no standout RB or WR) Susi looks to be one of the better dual QBs I’ve seen in years. Although both Dtowns lost this past weekend both are very strong and D1 playoff bound.

As D1 guy, I'd love to see one of the 6A schools at least get back to a State Final. The last one was Coatesville back in '12. That's a long time ago. I thought last years Garnet team was decent bet but Prep just manhandled them. D1 football at 6A has become 2nd class. At least in D7, you get the teams like Pine-Richland, Mt. Lebo that breakthrough and compete with (and beat) Prep. The most likely candidates are your big schools like Coatesville, North Penn, Pennsbury, Neshaminy, Pennridge, CBW, but outside of Coatesville no one else seems consistently good enough to challenge.

Not offended at all but I may be a little bias too so I would have ECP above gateway, aliquippa, and pcc. I would probably bump Garnet valley from the list and add central valley. Just my opinion.
Hausmann: Have now seen all of these teams play. My order would be:

ECP or PCC
PCC or ECP
Quip
Gateway
CV

As D1 guy, I'd love to see one of the 6A schools at least get back to a State Final. The last one was Coatesville back in '12. That's a long time ago. I thought last years Garnet team was decent bet but Prep just manhandled them. D1 football at 6A has become 2nd class. At least in D7, you get the teams like Pine-Richland, Mt. Lebo that breakthrough and compete with (and beat) Prep. The most likely candidates are your big schools like Coatesville, North Penn, Pennsbury, Neshaminy, Pennridge, CBW, but outside of Coatesville no one else seems consistently good enough to challeng
As D1 guy, I'd love to see one of the 6A schools at least get back to a State Final. The last one was Coatesville back in '12. That's a long time ago. I thought last years Garnet team was decent bet but Prep just manhandled them. D1 football at 6A has become 2nd class. At least in D7, you get the teams like Pine-Richland, Mt. Lebo that breakthrough and compete with (and beat) Prep. The most likely candidates are your big schools like Coatesville, North Penn, Pennsbury, Neshaminy, Pennridge, CBW, but outside of Coatesville no one else seems consistently good enough to challenge.
Would love to see a D1 school make it but not sure any of them have what it takes to win the state. (Stout D, excellent run and pass with all around team speed). Agreed it most likely would be one of those big schools for 6A.

Real quick and short New........I think these games will help sort things out and maybe tell us if the district has a contender based on game results and individual performances in the match ups.

SOL
CB East 2-0 home to Souderton 2-0

Not the toughest comp but road wins can light a fire with CB East beating Chambersburg 35-21 and Bensalem 42-0. Souderton has played a harder group winning at Haverford 27-7 and home to Pennridge 24-21. But a big vet line, QB and the ‘home opening high’ make East a real tough out.
North Penn 1-1 home to Upper Dublin 2-0
Knights opened with a 37-28 loss to LaSalle but bounced back in a major way routing Quakertown 49-7. Both should provide dividends. Upper Dublin beat Kennett 37-13 at neutral site then pounded CB West 35-7 at home. Feel NP’s size, depth (UD small roster) and rousing win at Qtown has them looking real good here. The offense is looking good!

Ches Mont
Coatesville 2-0 home vs Central Dauphin 0-2

The Red Raiders had no trouble with Pennsbury 28-6 and even less with Academy Park 35-0. Meanwhile Central Dauphin had trouble with everyone, losing to good teams but nevertheless losing to Central York 36-19 in York then at Landis Field to rival Wilson 17-10. Feel if they can’t hang with Central York’s athletes they can’t hang with Cville’s. It’s CD and all that but probably asking too much to come in and get a win against a fast and athletic bunch.
Downingtown East 1-1 at Delaware Valley 0-2
East opened with a win at Pennridge then a disappointing home loss to State College 32-31. Del Val opened with road games in Florida losing to Mosley 24-23 then at Harrisburg 32-3. It’s their home opener where they’ll try to slow it down on the ground, punch you in the mouth and try to out physical you.
Downingtown West 1-1 home to Neshaminy 2-0
Home opener for the Whippets after blowing out Highlands Regional-NJ 48-13 then losing at Perk Val 30-29 in a game they led 26-10 at the half. Skins come in for their third of four straight road games after unchallenging wins against Ocean City-NJ 21-0 and CR South 21-7 to a fired up packed house (per Skins rep) after last week’s disappointing loss. Looks like a real battle.

Most underrated/impactful games:
PAC
Perkiomen Valley 2-0 at Cheltenham 1-1

PV has two home wins beating Penn Wood 66-6 and Downingtown West 30-29, but now go on the road to Cheltenham for their first road game. PV is a balanced attack with solid quarterbacking and a deep backfield. But they’ll run into what looks like a underrated team with fine athletes and a transfer or two on defense. Cheltenham is home after proving themselves beating Abington 26-8 then playing well in a 24-20 loss at Northeast. They look like the best team Perk Val played to date.
Spring Ford 2-0 home to Cumberland Valley 2-0
The Rams opened with a 21-10 confidence building win at Governor Mifflin before a home opening win to Olney Center 28-8. CV comes in with a much tougher slate, opening with a 31-27 win against Manheim Township then a road win at Central York 35-33. It was a war last year won by CV 23-19 and looks like a repeat this year with the Rams again fielding a quality quarterback. But CV has the same and a few more weapons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT