ADVERTISEMENT

Top 10 (regardless of classification)...Week 10

not_a_fan

May 7, 2011
Playoffs coming meaning lots of teams dropping off soon. The cream will start rising when November rolls around...

Updated rankings for Week 10…

1. St. Joe’s Prep 6-1 (12)
2. Bishop McDevitt 7-1 (3)
3. Aliquippa 8-0 (7)
4. Erie Cathedral Prep 7-2 (10)
5. Roman Catholic 7-1 (12)
6. Imhotep Charter 4-2 (12)
7. State College 9-0 (6)
8. McKeesport 9-0 (7)
9. *Coatesville 7-1 (1)
10. Nazareth 8-1 (11)

*Coatesville recently forfeited a game vs. WC Rustin due to an ineligible player. Their record is 8-0 on the field.

Honorable Mention (no order): Exeter Twp. (3), Wyomissing (3), Upper Dublin (1), Gateway (7), Manheim Central (3), Central Valley (7), Pennsbury (1), Emmaus (11), Strath Haven (1)

Last edited:
Playoffs coming meaning lots of teams dropping off soon. The cream will start rising when November rolls around...

Updated rankings for Week 10…

1. St. Joe’s Prep 6-1 (12)
2. Bishop McDevitt 7-1 (3)
3. Aliquippa 8-0 (7)
4. Erie Cathedral Prep 7-2 (10)
5. Roman Catholic 7-1 (12)
6. Imhotep Charter 4-2 (12)
7. State College 9-0 (6)
8. McKeesport 9-0 (7)
9. *Coatesville 8-1 (1)
10. Nazareth 8-1 (11)

*Coatesville recently forfeited a game vs. WC Rustin due to an ineligible player. Their record is 9-0 on the field.

Honorable Mention (no order): Exeter Twp. (3), Wyomissing (3), Upper Dublin (1), Gateway (7), Manheim Central (3), Central Valley (7), Pennsbury (1), Emmaus (11), Strath Haven (1)
Coatesville's record is 8-0 on field. Game vs. Downingtown West was not played.

I know they are the InterAc, but where would Haverford School land in the rankings? Last weekend, they held a really good Malvern team, down a couple players to injury, to ZERO first downs for the entire game. Not sure I've ever seen that for any game at any level

I know they are the InterAc, but where would Haverford School land in the rankings? Last weekend, they held a really good Malvern team, down a couple players to injury, to ZERO first downs for the entire game. Not sure I've ever seen that for any game at any level
I'd say Haverford School would probably fit right into the top 3. I think they would struggle against SJP and McDevitt b/c both have tremendous talent & size to match them. I could see them easily competing with most everyone else in the PIAA this year. They seem to have a massive OL and a very good defense, which plays well against big school competition come playoff time. I was very impressed at how they handled Malvern, who I would have had in the top 4-5.

I know absolutely nothing about Jersey Shore, other than they're scoring 56 a game and giving up 6 a game. Nobody talks about them in any way and just wanted to know what the real deal is. On paper they look fantastic. Nobody ever ranks them in their top 10s. Do they just play nobody in their schedule and are a fraudulent team? Or are they one of the top teams in PA?

Typically, District 4 is not on par with some of the other top districts in terms of quality of teams at the higher classifications.

In District 7, there's unreal depth at the 4A level. Look at the WPIAL 4A with Central Valley, Aliquippa, McKeesport, Armstrong, Highlands, West Alleghany all being high quality teams playing also other quality 5A schools (and winning). If any of those teams played in the State Championship game it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Quick look at Jersey Shore shows their best opponent is probably Selinsgrove. While their scores look to be impressive the competition is light to be considered a top 10 team in the state as far as I'm concerned. I think the WPIAL 4A runner-up would probably compete for a 5A State Championship this year. I don't see that from Jersey Shore. Nothing against them but time will tell if I'm wrong.

Reactions: BJMaher
Typically, District 4 is not on par with some of the other top districts in terms of quality of teams at the higher classifications.

In District 7, there's unreal depth at the 4A level. Look at the WPIAL 4A with Central Valley, Aliquippa, McKeesport, Armstrong, Highlands, West Alleghany all being high quality teams playing also other quality 5A schools (and winning). If any of those teams played in the State Championship game it wouldn't be a huge surprise.

Quick look at Jersey Shore shows their best opponent is probably Selinsgrove. While their scores look to be impressive the competition is light to be considered a top 10 team in the state as far as I'm concerned. I think the WPIAL 4A runner-up would probably compete for a 5A State Championship this year. I don't see that from Jersey Shore. Nothing against them but time will tell if I'm wrong.
How is central valley not in your top 10 after walloping west Allegheny. I guess it will sort itself out tonight with a monster game against the quips. Central valley is 💯 a top 10 in the state. I have them in my top 5.

@Haus, you have your list I have mine. Don't know what to tell you. Everybody has their own opinions.

I will say it for the 1,000th time-I live in Chester County, just outside Downingtown and my knowledge of the teams in Western PA isn't the same as the Ches-Mont, PAC, Suburban One, Central, PCL, parts of L-L, Mid-Penn, etc. I'd love to know more about some of those teams out west but people don't give in depth details like they used to (except Stalk and Rover). Much of what I hear on this board from that part of the state is Pine-Richland, North Alleghany, PCC, and the occasional WPIAL discussion.

Just curious, which of the teams in my top ten do you think CV would beat head-to-head?

It is just my opinion and I'm not criticizing your list but cv had the longest winning streak in the state. They are back to back state champs. Up until last night aliquippas coach has never beaten them. They just walloped west Allegheny too. Aliquippa is definitely the cream of the crop in the wpial but they will meet cv again in the wpial finals. To me history speaks for itself. District 7 and 12 have proven themselves and I'll take thier best over the other districts and the hard ware is the proof.

District 4 only has one 6A team in Williamsport and no 5A teams. Other than Jersey shore, 4A isn't very strong this year with Selinsgrove and Milton being two of the better teams. 1A Canton may have been Jersey Shore's best opponent who they beat 23-0 last week. Hard to say how JS will do in state playoffs but I think they will be more than competitive.

District 4 has multiple teams in the lower classifications that should be competitive at the state level. 1A has Canton and Muncy, 2A has Mt. Carmel, Southern Columbia and Troy and 3A has Danville and Loyalsock. Should be some great games for the district championships.

It is just my opinion and I'm not criticizing your list but cv had the longest winning streak in the state. They are back to back state champs. Up until last night aliquippas coach has never beaten them. They just walloped west Allegheny too. Aliquippa is definitely the cream of the crop in the wpial but they will meet cv again in the wpial finals. To me history speaks for itself. District 7 and 12 have proven themselves and I'll take thier best over the other districts and the hard ware is the proof.
No worries, Haus, I'm just going off my best guess as to what is happening at the moment. I do know that CV has had some great teams in the past and that area is full of talent. When I look at it each week, I look at who would beat who on that week. Playoffs will make sure everyone gets a chance to prove it on the field.

Can you give us more details on what makes CV so good this year? I know they just lost to the Quips but obviously that's a team I think most would have as a championship contender as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT