ADVERTISEMENT

Today's football

Hausmann1978

May 5, 2021
What's everyones thoughts on today's football? I believe college football isn't the same with players getting paid and players able to transfer to multiple schools. Even highschool football has really changed. You have these athletes going to these athletic academies like your mater deis, img's, st Francis's, and your st Joe's preps.

What's everyones thoughts on today's football? I believe college football isn't the same with players getting paid and players able to transfer to multiple schools. Even highschool football has really changed. You have these athletes going to these athletic academies like your mater deis, img's, st Francis's, and your st Joe's preps.
Theres always been college players that have gotten paid. Now it's just not for the stars. Public high school football in PA has taken a step back so I won't complain about any player who goes to an elite catholic/private school to hone their skills. I consider them go getters!

Theres always been college players that have gotten paid. Now it's just not for the stars. Public high school football in PA has taken a step back so I won't complain about any player who goes to an elite catholic/private school to hone their skills. I consider them go getters!
Anyone who thinks SJP and IMG are in the same boat is really missing something. For one thing, all students at SJP come from within commuting distance of Philadelphia; IMG students come from all over the country and nearly all are boarders. Second, I have a sneaking suspicion IMG students don't have to take Latin. From what I know (not a whole lot but something) about St. Frances (Baltimore), it's quite different from both IMG and SJP. I suspect the situation in CA is also quite different.

Anyone who thinks SJP and IMG are in the same boat is really missing something. For one thing, all students at SJP come from within commuting distance of Philadelphia; IMG students come from all over the country and nearly all are boarders. Second, I have a sneaking suspicion IMG students don't have to take Latin. From what I know (not a whole lot but something) about St. Frances (Baltimore), it's quite different from both IMG and SJP. I suspect the situation in CA is also quite different.
My opinion has evolved over time and I am on board with the SJPs of the world. However these big football schools are operating is working. No different than say girls club soccer. You have to train year around with great coaching to Excell. Alot of public schools are unwilling to pay the price to win.

Reactions: lilromeo
Sjp does bring in top talent. They have been able to complete with img. I think had they played in 2020 sjp would of beat Img or anyone other team in the country in my opinion. They don't have to rebuild or have down seasons but they aren't the only school. Not hating on SJP either but I just think that's the state of highschool football in today's world. We are even seeing colleges offering 12 and 13 year olds scholarships now a days.

Last edited:
Sjp does bring in top talent. They have been able to complete with img. I think had they played in 2020 sjp would of beat Img or anyone other team in the country in my opinion. They don't have to rebuild or have down seasons but they aren't the only school. Not hating on SJP either but I just think that's the state of highschool football in today's world. We are even seeing colleges offering 12 and 13 year olds scholarships now a days.
What would be really interesting would be connect what we're seeing in high school football with large demographic and cultural changes. I'll be going to an SJP 50th reunion this spring and when I look at the guys who are going I see lots who had brothers who also went to the school. I know this partly because I myself had two older brothers who are alumni. But I also note that not that many have sons who graduated from the Prep and for those who do it's almost always just one or two sons. No surprise when you think about family sizes, people (like me) moving out of the area, etc. One thing it means for SJP is that it has to do a lot of active recruiting and it needs to find ways to be known and to be associated with something highly successful--hence the value of a couple of high-profile excellent sports programs (football and crew) that appeal to different demographic groups. I get it that most people on here aren't interested in rowing, but there are more student-rowers than there are student football players at SJP and it's the best high school rowing program in the U.S.

There's also lots of evidence of a steady and substantial reduction in the number of high school kids playing football in most--but not all--states. PA and NJ are ones where the numbers have been dropping. It seems to me likely that that has helped drive kids (and their families) who are really devoted to football and who seem to have more than average talent to those schools that have very strong programs. In the PPL, for instance, there seem to be only two schools (Tep and Northeast) with strong programs. Not long ago Washington and Frankford had pretty good teams.

There are other changes. I'm probably one of the few on here who remember one of the best college basketball teams in Big 5 history: the St. Joseph's College Hawks of the mid-60s. Remarkably, all five starters came from the city of Philadelphia: four white guys from the PCL (Goukas and Duff from SJP, Ford from West Catholic, and Oakes from Neumann) and one black guy from Edison (Anderson). You could easily draw some parallels between what has happened in basketball and what has happened in football. Just compare photos of Gil Brooks' great 2003 team at SJP with the photo of any of SJP's recent teams.

Last edited:
Take a look at the football rosters of teams in the big north new jersey Catholic league. Don Bosce has 135 players and bergan catholic 120. Interest up there definitely is alive and well.

Reactions: Stalker
Take a look at the football rosters of teams in the big north new jersey Catholic league. Don Bosce has 135 players and bergan catholic 120. Interest up there definitely is alive and well.
But the question is whether the great majority of schools in Jersey, i.e. public schools, have as many players. From what I've read, they're down quite a bit. I'm very familiar with upstate NY and Vermont where quite a few schools have dropped football and many others have teams of 25-30 players.

But the question is whether the great majority of schools in Jersey, i.e. public schools, have as many players. From what I've read, they're down quite a bit. I'm very familiar with upstate NY and Vermont where quite a few schools have dropped football and many others have teams of 25-30 players.
I wander with these football factories and with 12 and 13 year olds getting college scholarships now a days if we aren't far from seeing high school athletes being paid.

I'm trying to recall but who was the last public school not including charter or votech out east to win a state championship in the bigger classifications. 6A, 5A, and 4A or the old 4A & 3A? I believe it's Selingrove in 2009 in the old 3A.

Last edited:
Here is what is the problem in PA public high schools, well at least in the WPIAL. A lot of the times the district can not hire the coach as a teacher nor can he bring on staff members to that school. So what you have is a bunch of coaches from all over and very few if andy in the school. Now North Carolina is different than PA in many ways but right now I have 9 football coaches in the building. My last school I had 6 in the building. My friend told me that I should have applied for Pine Richland job when it was open this past year , the problem is could they get me in the building???? Could they get other coaches that would be in the building??? I am assuming that is the case in a lot of Eastern PA schools as well. So what you get is the same stale coaches doing the circuit in an area.

Last edited:
wilson, I don't think the $ will stay just with the stars. Who's blocking for an ego maniac making thousands/millions while us slugs get peanuts? That, or it goes to court.
I think college ball is on the way out
Interesting. Like everything else, enthusiasm varies from area to area. So many variables. Harrisburg is still with a numbers problem (high 20s, low 30s) this season, tho still early and they used to have no problem in that regard.
Many new issues have come out that have parents questioning the safety of the game....with good reason. And the political winds can influence as they do many things; prioritizing this or that. A lot of wiggle room between 'this'....or....'that'!

Reactions: paul from philly
I'm trying to recall but who was the last public school not including charter or votech out east to win a state championship in the bigger classifications. 6A, 5A, and 4A or the old 4A & 3A? I believe it's Selingrove in 2009 in the old 3A.
Here you go Haus....

** In 2011 Central Dauphin beat North Penn 14-7 in the 4A final.

** In 2009 as the 3A East Region champ, D4's Selinsgrove (60 above Harrisburg) beat D3's Manheim Central (40 southeast of Hburg) 10-7 in a great game between really outstanding teams. Seals repped the East and Manheim the West in the PIAA's convoluted playoff format, Seals having defeated Archbishop Wood 28-0 in semifinal, Manheim beating West Allegheny 45-27 in their semi.

Last edited:
wilson, I don't think the $ will stay just with the stars. Who's blocking for an ego maniac making thousands/millions while us slugs get peanuts? That, or it goes to court.
I think college ball is on the way out

Interesting. Like everything else, enthusiasm varies from area to area. So many variables. Harrisburg is still with a numbers problem (high 20s, low 30s) this season, tho still early and they used to have no problem in that regard.
Many new issues have come out that have parents questioning the safety of the game....with good reason. And the political winds can influence as they do many things; prioritizing this or that. A lot of wiggle room between 'this'....or....'that'!
Stalker, I have to agree with you about college football. If Shaquon Barkley were able to bank some of his merchandise (jerseys, etc.) what about the "Hosses" that blocked for him. Definitely will touch the courts. So why put on the front with college athletes. Why bother with the free education? The future might be that the NFL will purchase some of the conference's sporting programs and just start a minor league!!

Reactions: Stalker
Here you go Haus....

** In 2011 Central Dauphin beat North Penn 14-7 in the 4A final.

** In 2009 as the 3A East Region champ, D4's Selinsgrove (60 above Harrisburg) beat D3's Manheim Central (40 southeast of Hburg) 10-7 in a great game between really outstanding teams. Seals repped the East and Manheim the West in the PIAA's convoluted playoff format, Seals having defeated Archbishop Wood 28-0 in semifinal, Manheim beating West Allegheny 45-27 in their semi.
You're right I forgot about central dauphin. I still say them beating north Allegheny that year was one of the biggest upsets. I think if they play that game 10 time NA wins the majority of them.

You're right I forgot about central dauphin. I still say them beating north Allegheny that year was one of the biggest upsets. I think if they play that game 10 time NA wins the majority of them.
NA was the better team with Leftwich but CD had a lot of weapons, enough to keep NA off balance. Good redzone defense by CD helped BIG time by NA penalties.
In the other semi LaSalle losing to North Penn was a surprise tho it was a rematch. NPenn couldn't play defense (what's new!) getting blown out earlier by LS and St. Joe's scoring 90-some pts on em. But they finally found defense that almost got them a state title losing narrowing to CD in final.

NA was the better team with Leftwich but CD had a lot of weapons, enough to keep NA off balance. Good redzone defense by CD helped BIG time by NA penalties.
In the other semi LaSalle losing to North Penn was a surprise tho it was a rematch. NPenn couldn't play defense (what's new!) getting blown out earlier by LS and St. Joe's scoring 90-some pts on em. But they finally found defense that almost got them a state title losing narrowing to CD in final.
Two great games, and you're right about north Penn. It seems like they've struggled with their defense for some time now.

it's worse than ever and it happens at public schools too, players having an "aunt" they move in with so they can play for the better team

a blowout used to be winning by 3 - 4 touchdowns, now the bad teams are so bad they lose by 40 -70 points and could lose by 100 if teams didn't pull starters and playbook at the beginning of the 3rd quarter

Stalker, I have to agree with you about college football. If Shaquon Barkley were able to bank some of his merchandise (jerseys, etc.) what about the "Hosses" that blocked for him. Definitely will touch the courts. So why put on the front with college athletes. Why bother with the free education? The future might be that the NFL will purchase some of the conference's sporting programs and just start a minor league!!
Oh look what we have here. Welcome back PFP

Here is what is the problem in PA public high schools, well at least in the WPIAL. A lot of the times the district can not hire the coach as a teacher nor can he bring on staff members to that school. So what you have is a bunch of coaches from all over and very few if andy in the school. Now North Carolina is different than PA in many ways but right now I have 9 football coaches in the building. My last school I had 6 in the building. My friend told me that I should have applied for Pine Richland job when it was open this past year , the problem is could they get me in the building???? Could they get other coaches that would be in the building??? I am assuming that is the case in a lot of Eastern PA schools as well. So what you get is the same stale coaches doing the circuit in an area.
Sammy- the best answer for you is no, unlikely Pine Richland would have given "schools jobs" in addition to coaching- too many levels of approval, too complicated, esp to get other guys full time jobs. Sadly, the trend seems to be a lot less "teachers who are coaches" so that makes it tough to have stable programs. Most public high schools in PA are really careful about "full time employees" cuz health care and retirement programs have become so expensive. They would much rather hire "part time coaches" and pay them 3 to 5 thousand per year, while they work other full time jobs- really a tough time commitment.

Big picture- good debate with "todays football." Agreed there is lots of crazy stuff going on w NIL, and transferring, and "private national" programs. It is kinda a "perfect storm" that hopefully will calm down, who knows. Just ironic that the NIL deal settled at the same time the Covid situations happened- allowing kids to transfer, while at the same time, signing new NIL deals, kinda no questions asked. Anyone knowledgeable on this? Is it true to that those "open rules" for college transferring will close next year? So maybe less college transferring next year?

IMO i think it is good that a wide variety of college kids are getting "paid" but those in power need to keep oversight at the HS level- that is not good- when 13-5 year old kids are jumping schools, already thinking about $$, that many of them will never make in football. I really do not know what to say about the "big schools." Other than kids can still be successful from a wide variety of high school programs, ie smaller, lower profile, and public.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT