ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on 2023

CAMoleskinner

Jun 4, 2019
Any of our esteemed members have thoughts on potential players (teams) across the state and as to this upcoming season of 2023 (in any class)?

I follow 6A most closely and so I understand St. Joe's will be making a lot of noise (so they're already on the list). Who else can make a run for it?

And maybe we can hold off on the infighting for a moment while we consider what's coming down the pike (based on the landscape as it exists right now).

Thanks!

Reactions: Bighead75
OK -- I'll start.

Sad to say but I'm not expecting too much out of Langhorne. Depending on a few "things" they can show better than last season but probably not as solid as we'd like to see on The Reservation.

Pennsbury loses its big gun back but they have Coach Snyder back. He'll find someone so I'm thinking they'll be show well.

That's about what I can come up with for now.

then what about the rest of D1? North Penn? The CB schools? Coatesville, the Downingtown Twins, Garnet Valley and the rest of the usual suspects? Ridley?

D3 and D11?? (Stalk and Rover.)

D7?

D1 Ches-Mont: Downingtown West looks to be the better of the Downingtown's headed into the season, they bring back the leading passer, Henicle, and the top two receivers in the league, Kucera and Hangey (Hangey is eligible for the post season in 23') Coatesville will take a step back after losing their 3 year starting QB, Susi got into a couple games as a freshman when Ortega went down mid season and not sure if they have the same succession plan this time around. But Coatesville always finds a way to reload, especially at the QB position.

North Broad -

You seem like a Ches-Mont guy -- hey, is all that "craziness" with the Coatesville Coach (Ortega, right) in the rear view? I know Stalk is a big fan and he seems like he (Ortgea) has really put them on the right track.

D-Town West - they kinda beat up on us last year (oww).

I haven't heard anything new since he came back to the team after his week off, seems like to be in the past. Such a very odd scenario with a lot of different accusations flying around. It was pretty weird that they forfeited just the one game for the ineligible player used in the Rustin game, I would of assumed that kid would of gotten into the other blowouts leading up to that game as well. But I do think Ortega is a great coach, he has done wonders for that school and community while he's been there.

Reactions: lilromeo
I look for PCC to be legit and should be playing SJP for the title. They have QB, 2WR's, TE, and 2 TB's back plus three OL. QB and WR's will be 3 year starters. Defense will also be solid as usual. They just need a coach. LoL

Reactions: Bighead75
I'll take it slightly differently - here are the best players in the Lehigh Valley coming into next year.

Trey Tremba, APB, Parkland - Tremba is probably a Patriot League/Ivy League (maybe CAA?) level running back who can play in the slot. Not fast enough to play FBS, but a really good high school football player they can use in a lot of. ways.

Marquez Wimberly, RB, Parkland - Wimberly got tons of carries as a freshman and played a very good cornerback. If he continues to physically mature (he's 5'9 170 right now as a 15 year old), he could explode next year. He had three return touchdowns, four blocked kicks, and made 60 tackles, and had a pair of interceptions as a 9th grader. I think he's got the potential to be a four-star type recruit from up here by the time he's a senior. This is the starter-kit.

Braheem Battles, OT/DT, Allentown Central Catholic - All State defensive tackle as a sophomore, huge kid (6'3 310 as a 10th grader) who I think is going to end up an FBS level recruit on defense. He doesn't have the recruiting buzz I would necessarily expect, but it's also the time where coaches start bearing down on film for 2025 guys. He's a really good player with elite measurables.

Fynn McDonald, OT, Allentown Central Catholic - And ACC's other offensive tackle is 6'8 305. Probably more on an FCS kid than Battles, but that's a pretty great pair of high school tackles. McDonald is not as powerful as Battles, but is long, pretty good athlete, and has obvious college size.

Jareel Calhoun, WR, Allentown Central Catholic - Little sophomore can absolutely fly. Was an All State pick at wideout after catching 88 balls as a 10th grader. Needs to physically mature to really take the next step (he's 5'10 150) but if he can add good weight and keep the track speed, he'll become more of a downfield threat and things could get very interesting in terms of his upside.

Sean Kinney, OT, Nazareth - Kinney was an All State pick by both major outlets and is also the #4 heavyweight wrestler in the country. He's probably a Group of 5 level recruit as an offensive lineman, and one of the best heavyweight prospects in America if he chooses wrestling. He's on track to be the first four time state finalist, three time state champ and heavyweight AND a two time all state offensive lineman.

Mario Landino, DE, Emmaus - Landino has scholarship offers from Bucknell, Lafayette, Lehigh, Penn, and Princeton and the 6'4 245 pound defense end is the best returning edge guy in the Valley. Emmaus has a lot to replace on what was a very good defense, but he'll be the guy they build around.

Josiah Williams, QB, Emmaus - Williams was thrust into duty as a sophomore when Jake Fotta tore his ACL. He responded by throwing for 1,800 yards and 18 touchdowns and quarterbacked Emmaus to a D11 final. This year, with Fotta back and having a near All State year, Williams was mainly a free safety and got some red-zone package snaps at quarterback. He's a superior athlete with elite size for a QB (6'3 230). He also hit .330 and slugged .540 with 30 RBI as a sophomore and is a high Division I, possibly draft-able baseball player. Most teams turn over quarterbacks next year, and he comes into the season the best QB in the Valley and a possible major impact player.

Freedom doesn't have an obvious star back, they make take a step back. Easton played a lot of sophomores so maybe Jasir Frutchy (6'4 180 free safety) or Brady Correll (6'3 210 tight end) take big steps as juniors under a new coach after getting experience, but we're going to have to see that one.

Last edited:
Any of our esteemed members have thoughts on potential players (teams) across the state and as to this upcoming season of 2023 (in any class)?

I follow 6A most closely and so I understand St. Joe's will be making a lot of noise (so they're already on the list). Who else can make a run for it?

And maybe we can hold off on the infighting for a moment while we consider what's coming down the pike (based on the landscape as it exists right now).

Thanks!
Still reviewing last season in D3 Cali Man. But because I do a district-by-district post season it's WAY too early for me. The power structure will likely not change, with a few shooting stars that often crumble in the post season. So it'll be about 'pieces' and if the big boys like Harrisburg, York, Wilson, State College, Exeter, CV, Manheim Central, Township and others can replace them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT